Poyer OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He has looked markedly slower lately, against the incredible speed of the Dolphins may be a good time to rest him.

Indeed it also isn't publicly benching him when the coaches and he himself are aware he's lost a step and that would hurt against Miami moreso than other opponents who still can't overcome poyer at only 90%.

Interesting to see who they call up between Hamlin and Elam.  

Of the 2 Elam likely is the better athlete but something isn't clicking for him switching to more zone concepts.  Is it a football iq deficiency (blank page with random doodles in his notebook under zone coverage). Or is it some kind of attitude issue with him not taking to how he's being coached up in his mind h I s man skills are superior and he doesn't adapt his style to fit zone responsibilities.  

Hamlin is still a media darling and if he's put in and sent on a safety blitz and lays Tua out, with a clean hit ala that Milano sack last year,  and he's pulled as a precaution under concussion protocols though he doesn't suffer a concussion.  The hit just had him stagger a minute when he bounces up.  In that scenario Hanlin wouldn't be tagged as some low life head hunting goon called up just to knock Tua out.  I actually don't think Hamlin is capable of the Milano 'cookie cutter' tackle so I kind of lean toward Elam being the call up, unless there is some attitude issue that's behind his inactive status to this point.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Ouch.

Didn't even realize he was injured. 

Worst possible opponent as well.

And Rapp has been BAD in spot duty.

Rapp wasn't really playing a traditional safety role. He was asked to be the third safety, like a hybrid safety / linebacker / nickel CB.

He'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This is bad news.

This is one week where you reallllly want to have your top safeties in place.

Anyone thinking "it's not too big a deal" or "maybe it's a good thing because he's old now", well...I think you're dead wrong.

We only lost one of three games to the Dolphins last year. It happened to be the one where we were missing one of our starting safeties.

Let's hope Taylor Rapp is up to the challenge. Opportunity is, um...rapping at his chamber door? Sorry. I'll see myself out.

We missed Hyde almost all season. What

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Eh, he is an incredibly poor tackler too...

You know they say "every olympic event should have a normal person competing too for perspective"...well, I am pretty sure this is what I would look like trying to tackle NFL running backs. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Poyer ends up on IR and the Bills use that spot for Von Miller.

That didn't even occur to me. But can we not just scratch Elam twice? Does his first round draft value not have any value? 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Indeed it also isn't publicly benching him when the coaches and he himself are aware he's lost a step and that would hurt against Miami moreso than other opponents who still can't overcome poyer at only 90%.

Interesting to see who they call up between Hamlin and Elam.  

Of the 2 Elam likely is the better athlete but something isn't clicking for him switching to more zone concepts.  Is it a football iq deficiency (blank page with random doodles in his notebook under zone coverage). Or is it some kind of attitude issue with him not taking to how he's being coached up in his mind h I s man skills are superior and he doesn't adapt his style to fit zone responsibilities.  

Hamlin is still a media darling and if he's put in and sent on a safety blitz and lays Tua out, with a clean hit ala that Milano sack last year,  and he's pulled as a precaution under concussion protocols though he doesn't suffer a concussion.  The hit just had him stagger a minute when he bounces up.  In that scenario Hanlin wouldn't be tagged as some low life head hunting goon called up just to knock Tua out.  I actually don't think Hamlin is capable of the Milano 'cookie cutter' tackle so I kind of lean toward Elam being the call up, unless there is some attitude issue that's behind his inactive status to this point.  

Why would you activate your 4th string corner to replace a starting safety? 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don’t think Elam is going to go from CB 4 to playing man to man on tyreek hill.

I would be surprised if he’s active this game. Could be wrong though 

Probably not but he is the only cb on our roster with the speed and stickiness to do it.  Sticking to a receiver like glue is what Elam excels at.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t recall anybody getting past Poyer in coverage or getting burnt over the top. Safeties have done a great job of keep everything in front of them.  Guy is going into his 12th year so of course he’s gonna lose some speed, but he’s got amazing instincts and is almost always in the right place.  

It was mostly just some bad angles on some runs I think.

39 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't think its an attitude thing.  The kid says the right stuff and seems to have a good attitude.  He was a first round draft pick and seems to be taking it pretty well that he is low on the depth chart. Not sure what it is tbh. I thought he played pretty well last year.  Coaches know better than me though.

8 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Why would you activate your 4th string corner to replace a starting safety? 

I think the thought is that there is a spot in the secondary opening up with Rapp moving up a spot. 

I personally think that when it comes to responsibilities, if Hamlin is called up he might be the back up SS on paper, but ultimately won't see the 20% snap count Rapp has seen this year. I think the back up responsibilities will get split situationally between Benford and Lewis. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

One injury and you think we're going to have our starting cornerback who plays 100% of snaps switching positions? Lol

I’m just referring to their skill sets.  I get it I just don’t like our lack of safety depth behind two 33 year olds.  Benford has always been talked about as a safety and given his IQ and tackling ability I think it’s logical.  

I said I know it won’t happen.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Guess we find out if keeping Hamlin was a PR move or he is the next best option. 

I’m still not ready to forgive Cam Lewis for the Minnesota game. 

First of all I don't want to see Cam anywhere near that field on Defense.  He's as bad as Juquan. I can live with some rotation of Rapp, Hamlin & Hyde.  I also would like to see Elam finally activated and given some press coverage plays against Hill.  Poyer is a shell of the player he was in 2021.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I'm guessing they sit Cam Lewis and bring up Elam and Hamlin.  Lewis is there because of his positional versatility - but I don't think he's better than either individually at their position.  Hamlin can play special teams (he did during the preseason) too. 

Why?

Poyer not dressing, it's likely Hamlin as depth and taking Rapp S/T reps.

Elam would just ride the bench...he's obviously #4 on the depth chart.  You don't bench Lewis, who's a key S/T and likely our top backup safety this week.

16 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Why?

Poyer not dressing, it's likely Hamlin as depth and taking Rapp S/T reps.

Elam would just ride the bench...he's obviously #4 on the depth chart.  You don't bench Lewis, who's a key S/T and likely our top backup safety this week.

Because I think that Hamlin is a better safety than Cam Lewis and I think Elam is a better CB than Cam Lewis.  I'll take a hit on ST if it makes my defense better.  
I believe the Cam has been on the gameday rosters so far because they needed two positions covered by one body.  With Poyer out, they they now have 3 positions to cover with 2 bodies, and I believe the Elam/Hamlin combo is better than Lewis/Hamlin or Lewis/Elam.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It'll never happen, but I'd move Benford to Safety and start Elam 

Why?  Benford has looked very good, so far.  On top of that, Benford has played how many safety snaps in camp/leading up to this point?

Take our 2nd best corner, and make him our 5th best safety (maybe), and insert our 4th best boundary corner....yeah, this isn't Madden...

If the goal is to get more speed on the field, then Cam Lewis at safety makes more sense (over Rapp).  And going more dime with Neal, 3-man fronts on obvious passing downs.

I could see both of above happening, at points in the game on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Because I think that Hamlin is a better safety than Cam Lewis and I think Elam is a better CB than Cam Lewis.  I'll take a hit on ST if it makes my defense better.  
I believe the Cam has been on the gameday rosters so far because they needed two positions covered by one body.  With Poyer out, they they now have 3 positions to cover with 2 bodies, and I believe the Elam/Hamlin combo is better than Lewis/Hamlin or Lewis/Elam.

I think Hamlin and Cam are two different safeties. Hamlin more a SS/box safety, limited range in center field.  Lewis is Hyde type, he can roam and react deep.  Bonus that he's versatile to be a nickle/break glass boundary guy too.

Elam sits on the bench all game, if we dress him.  Unless Coach is rolling out a completely new dime scheme this week.

Hamlin dresses for Po, primary backup to Rapp. Simple as that, at least what I expect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.