McD much better D coordinator than Frazier

TwistofFate

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The D does look a lot better.  Next week will be a huge test. If we can get to Tua and hit him repeatedly, theres no way that he lasts the game, let alone is accurate.

Problem is Tua gets rid of the ball very quickly. The key is to throw the wrs timing off. I don’t think they’ll get to Tua often. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

We've played many GOOD offenses with nearly the same roster.

This isn't some kind of coming out party, we've been a top D for years.  This defense, particularly the D line paired with an aggressive scheme, is different. 

We will come after you....its showing already. 

Have you faced a good Offense THIS year? No, you faced below average offenses. For example I could say the Pats D is much better than last year because they faced the Eagles who the held to 18 points and the Dolphins to 24 points because those are 2 legit top 5 Offenses in the league!  The Bills have faced  the Jets with Zak Wilson, The Commanders, and Raiders.. I mean the commanders did put up 35 on the Broncos, but that’s HALF of what Miami did to them lol

To be determined before they face actual quality NFL QB's.  I don't consider Wilson, Jimmy G, and Howell to be true tests of whether this defense is better under McDermott.  Frazier was the d-coordinator when they picked off Mike White four times to stop the whitesanity that was going on.  They just did the same to Howell.

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Have you faced a good Offense THIS year? No, you faced below average offenses. For example I could say the Pats D is much better than last year because they faced the Eagles who the held to 18 points and the Dolphins to 24 points because those are 2 legit top 5 Offenses in the league!  The Bills have faced  the Jets with Zak Wilson, The Commanders, and Raiders.. I mean the commanders did put up 35 on the Broncos, but that’s HALF of what Miami did to them lol

You guys need to extend Belichick's contract immediately and sign Mac Jones to a record breaking extension next off-season.  I see an extremely bright future constantly hoping for that last Wild Card birth.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Frazier’s defensive schemes lacked aggression and failed in the post season because he coached to not lose vs coaching to win, it became very obvious during the last couple of seasons, he stated that he disliked making in game adjustments, because he thought he would lose the respect of his players, (he said as much in an interview) when the reverse was the reality. LF is a good guy, but he had to be let go for the greater good. 

He didn't quite say that. He said you can make adjustments but you have to stay within the confines of the gameplan you have set out, studied and practiced all week and he was against freelancing away from that. To be honest most coordinators would tell you the same. If you start calling stuff you haven't practiced all week (as Rex famously did in that Thursday Night Football against Fitz and the Jets in 2016) the results are rarely good.

32 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

To be determined before they face actual quality NFL QB's.  I don't consider Wilson, Jimmy G, and Howell to be true tests of whether this defense is better under McDermott.  Frazier was the d-coordinator when they picked off Mike White four times to stop the whitesanity that was going on.  They just did the same to Howell.

You guys need to extend Belichick's contract immediately and sign Mac Jones to a record breaking extension next off-season.  I see an extremely bright future constantly hoping for that last Wild Card birth.

I never said the Pats O was a top 15 in the league… but the Pats D will keep them in any game they play this year..

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't quite say that. He said you can make adjustments but you have to stay within the confines of the gameplan you have set out, studied and practiced all week and he was against freelancing away from that. To be honest most coordinators would tell you the same. If you start calling stuff you haven't practiced all week (as Rex famously did in that Thursday Night Football against Fitz and the Jets in 2016) the results are rarely good.

It was imo, a lack of appropriately  aggressive play calling that was his doom, especially in the post season, he seemed to be overly apprehensive of not playing a “contain”  style defense, looking at what Sean is doing with pretty much the same guys says a lot in comparison, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I noticed a “handler” next to Oliver all game when on the sideline. I think he’s really got a screw loose and the Bills assigned a guy to be his “best friend”. 

And I’m okay with that. 

Oliver is not playing the game just to secure a payday. He wants to hit people. Hard.

16 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Frazier was competent, but came up small in the biggest moments. 

That makes him the Dick Jauron of Bills DC's, complete with the vacant sideline stare.

• Haha (+1) 1

Defense has looked great! Oliver and Rousseau are turning into the studs we'd hope they'd be, the Floyd signing is looking like a steal and Bernard has been balling out like crazy, he probably has as many "impact" plays as Maine did in 5 years here. IDK if it's all McD's doing, but there's no question the D looks better this year than last. Since he's going to own the blame if he fails, I feel like he's due the credit for the improved look this year. Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It was imo, a lack of appropriately  aggressive play calling that was his doom, especially in the post season, he seemed to be overly apprehensive of not playing a “contain”  style defense, looking at what Sean is doing with pretty much the same guys says a lot in comparison, jmo. 

Sean is a more aggressive playcaller. That is true. I was more correcting your point re. what Leslie said on adjustments which is often misquoted slightly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Spin however you like, fact is we've played many top tier offenses over the last 3 years and have nearly the same defensive roster. 

I'll repeat, this isn't a coming out party, we've been a dominant defense repeatedly over the last few years. 

This defense is different. 

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Spin however you like, fact is we've played many top tier offenses over the last 3 years and have nearly the same defensive roster. 

I'll repeat, this isn't a coming out party, we've been a dominant defense repeatedly over the last few years. 

This defense is different. 

Dude, new year, new team what your D did last year means NOTHING.  What’s funny is how you ended it “This defense is different”. Which proves you have to see how it does against a GOOD OFFENSE. This week will be a good judge of that, especially if Waddle plays. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I never said the Pats O was a top 15 in the league… but the Pats D will keep them in any game they play this year..

Except maybe against us since Hoodie still seemingly has no answers for Allen outside 70 mph winds?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

So far, McDermott may be blitzing less than any team in the NFL

Spot on. We have the lowest blitz rate in the entire NFL.

Frazier blitzed on 19.4% of plays last season.

McDermott is blitzing on only 6.7% of plays this season.

We are not only being less aggressive, we are being significantly less aggressive. 65% less aggressive. 

F639h-R-WMAEGn3-U.jpg

Edited by Einstein

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Except maybe against us since Hoodie still seemingly has no answers for Allen outside 70 mph winds?

Who knows! I mean the special teams won last years game for Buffalo.. (not saying Buffalo wouldn’t have scored anyways but they didn’t have to thanks to the 2 TDs on kickoffs). Last years D had great stats but stunk against good QBs, so far this year they done pretty well against 2 top 10 QBs. 

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

So far, McDermott may be blitzing less than any team in the NFL

He may have had only a few blitzes, although one led to a sack when he sent 6, but he caused the Washington O-line problems with simulated blitzes that enabled the Bills front four to come away with 8 sacks. It’s being aggressive and innovative that makes him better than Frazier. You can already see a better version of Oliver, Rousseau, and even AJ.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We are not only being less aggressive, we are being significantly less aggressive. 65% less aggressive. 

F639h-R-WMAEGn3-U.jpg

Blitzing is only one way to proxy aggression. The cover 1 guys have said a few times that players are playing more downhill, abandoning assignments on intuition and reading QB's eyes, stuff like that, a lot more often than before. I would definitely consider those things playing more aggressive. I also think we'd be blitzing more if we weren't already getting such good pressure with 4. Any team that can be high in pressure rate with just 4 would love to constantly drop 7 back. Jets do the same and they are a very "aggressive" defense 

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

F639h-R-WMAEGn3-U.jpg

Aggressive doesn’t only mean more blitzing.  

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Blitzing is only one way to proxy aggression. The cover 1 guys have said a few times that players are playing more downhill, abandoning assignments on intuition and reading QB's eyes, stuff like that, a lot more often than before. I would definitely consider those things playing more aggressive. I also think we'd be blitzing more if we weren't already getting such good pressure with 4. Any team that can be high in pressure rate with just 4 would love to constantly drop 7 back. Jets do the same and they are a very "aggressive" defense 

Its dramatic to me the difference.

Last year was more read and react from our DL….now its just pin your ears back and go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

players are playing more downhill, abandoning assignments on intuition and reading QB's eyes, stuff like that, a lot more often than before. 

The only way that this would be coach related is if Frazier was telling players to not play with their intuition or read the QB's eyes. 

I have a hard time believing that.

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The only way that this would be coach related is if Frazier was telling players to not play with their intuition or read the QB's eyes. 

I have a hard time believing that.

If you're giving the players the green light to trust themselves versus rigidly playing their assignment, this is the exact difference you would expect to see.

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How is "blitz" defined here? Is it "rushing more than 4"? Or "rushing anyone other than DL?"

I ask, because on Epenesa's pick-6, we rushed 4 but Epenesa was dropped back deep into coverage. We sent Milano in his place. Still only rushed 4.

What's that then?

That is simulated pressure. 

36 minutes ago, arcane said:

Well written arcane.  If through

a variety of schemes can get pressure with four, you then blanket you’re field of play that much better with seven back.

when you drop seven, you can more easily have a better passing defense and the LB crew is playing with such speed, they are making it tough for opposing TE’s.

Even in our loss to the Jets, they only scored 16 offensive pts..  it was ST that. Caused that OT TD.  Also, really Josh pretty much single handed Lu lost us that game as 70% completion record in that game is great if he didn’t throw 3 into and a fumble.

I love, but he had a bad game.  I’m not afraid of the fish.  I respect them and think it will be a close game.

11 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

New England’s defense is legit. Again, if the Bills do not turn the ball over they should have no problem with either game this year. The Bills have are more better than the Patriots have gotten more better, as teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.