Stop blaming Josh Allen

Bills Bud

27 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If that ruins Allen, he’s not the guy to lead us to the promised land…

This is the level of insanity that this week has devolved into. 

We waited decades for this kid and some of you think that, what, we’ll just go out and find another? Have you looked at some of the atrocious QBs that are on rosters right now? There’s maybe 12 good ones counting all starters. Don’t even get me started on some of the glorified gym teachers that are actually listed third on some depth charts.

Be frustrated yes but to even hint at moving on from Allen is so absurdly dumb.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe you would.  At least you're backing up your criticism of Allen with the only logical move if your criticism is valid.

Backing up my criticism?  I mean…. who isn’t criticizing him?  I still love the guy, but let’s be real.  For an elite QB, he’s been very meh for the last 13 games

I would definitely take Caleb and Marvin jr for him.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

What a completely ridiculous position to take. I’m one of the biggest JA defenders. But his actions of sabotaging his own success has been a problem under the surface. His overall great performance has overshadowed it. 

The reality is he has rarely been the problem preventing this team from the SB. But unquestionably he has to fix this himself. No mentoring, coaching, play calling is going to. He is his own worst enemy. Every team is going force him to overcome his own weaknesses.  It’s time that he faces it and takes real responsibility. That’s on no one but him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Why is Allen absolved from criticism? Don't most people get criticized when they perform like crap? Isn't Josh making what he is to put up with what happens when you play bad? It's an occupational hazard. I don't agree with the dumb crap, like he's only worried about banging his girlfriend, but fans can and should act as they please (while having some level of human decency). This is entertainment and most of us signed up for a Super Bowl not a divisional playoff win. We have been invested in this most our lives and If Josh plays well, we will be the first to be excited and support him. If anybody who criticizes Josh is actually rooting for him to fail, they can completely piss off. That's not even close to the place this is coming from. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fine.  But there is also keeping things in perspective.  The shrill and hysteric response by much of the national media and a lot of Bills fans goes way beyond the simple observation that Allen played poorly and we lost the game as a result.

I don’t watch much national sports media, so you could well be right with that.

Not being able to stop the run has plagued this team for years... and special teams giving up that last TD is equally responsible for that loss.

We have a gunslinger for a QB and he takes chances. I'll take Josh Allen over any other NFL QB.

Buffalo could have still won that game with a better run defense and not allowing that return for a TD. 

Yes, the 3 INT's sucked. Alas, the Bills were playing one of the very best secondaries in the NF... so stuff happens. 

In my view, Buffalo should have been running the ball more with misdirection plays to wear that defense out. Play better defense! No Aaron Rodgers this should have been an easy win. The Jets averaged 6.1 yards per rush with Buffalo giving up 172 yards rushing. 

How about Joe Burrow this week 14 of 31 for 82 yards no TDs, would that have won the game for Buffalo? Dak Prescott, 13 of 24 for 143 yards, no TDs...would that?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

Without doubt. But some of the online stuff - from Bills fans - has gone SO far beyond that.

It's like many fans have amnesia about how much the dude has done for us over the years, and how many games he won pretty much on his own.  I've been pretty disgusted by the tone of some of the posts here & elsewhere.  They make him sound like a complete bum.

Raiders game will be the cure of all the ills

• Like (+1) 1

Vikes Jefferson tonight made a foolish selfish decision to try and score. Loses the ball and costs his team the lead. 10 point swing in the game. Herby apparently not interested in saying it’s a selfish play. Actually suggests he’s maturing because he said my bad. Yeah the world gets it. But like Josh it’s a reckless decision. 

1 hour ago, Bills Bud said:

Fans, players and his own coaches bashing him is not a good look. You are going to drive him out of town. He is the best QB we ever had imo, definitely since Jim Kelly. I blame the coaches, we need an offensive minded head coach. Imagine if Kyle Shannan had Josh Allen, we need a guy like that. That’s the only way we will finally get that Super Bowl, defense doesn’t win championships anymore. McDermott has to go!

I have to agree…..as much as I like McD, Allen needs an offensive minded coach. Just like Coward has said and I’m finally starting to believe it. Defense doesn’t win SB’s anymore. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’ve been high enough on Allen that I think he’s the most naturally talented QB in the NFL, but due to those gifts, that’s also why he’s receiving the harsh criticism this week…

The typical talking head nonsense was going to come regardless.   They have a clickbait job to do. 

What he’s getting that’s different is the old “I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed” vibe aimed at him from some of the more nuanced and respectable talking heads. 

The fact he is so talented, but (so far) just doesn’t seem to get it.   He does whatever he wants to do with zero regard for his body and/or what he does to hurt the team when he gets bored or frustrated. 

That’s not professional QB’ing.  That’s immature and selfish. 

It’s on him to change it.  Apparently nobody, except maybe Daboll, can get through to him. 

Daboll wasn't getting thru to him so well when they were 6-5 at one point in 2021,  including losing to the winless, worst team in football, was he?

Enough with the ridiculous "Daboll was the key" narrative.    It's total bullish!t.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

QB’s who have games like this catch some flack. This isn’t Buffalo specific. In my adult lifetime I can only really recall QB’s getting a free pass on these sorts of games once they solidified their spot in the Hall of Fame (ie Brady, Manning, and now Mahommes). Or maybe a recent injury like Burrow or Allen’s UCL last year.  

But until then the Stanford’s, Eli’s, Cousins, Dak’s, and Allen’s take a lot of flak when they get paid a ton and single handily lose games. And they all had games like this, and they all bounced back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fans, players and his own coaches bashing him is not a good look. You are going to drive him out of town. He is the best QB we ever had imo, definitely since Jim Kelly. I blame the coaches, we need an offensive minded head coach. Imagine if Kyle Shannan had Josh Allen, we need a guy like that. That’s the only way we will finally get that Super Bowl, defense doesn’t win championships anymore. McDermott has to go!

Allen deserves plenty of blame for that Jets game. He was awful. So, I disagree with you here.

Allen and the Bills offense needs better coaching. An offensive coach is badly needed. So, I agree with your here 

You don’t get it. 

To be a Buffalo QB you are expecting to win a Super Bowl AND deal with the neurosis of the WNY populace. 

Basically you are expected to be their hero AND their whipping boy. That’s the unsaid agreement. 

• Like (+1) 2

How many times has Brett Farve done that? A ton, pal. If you try and tame a gunslinger they could regress even more. He is going to have games like that.

By his 6th year in NFL Brett Favre had won 3 league MVPs and a Super Bowl.  Josh has accomplished jack in his career compared to Farve at the same point.  He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, he hasn’t earned it yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Josh has lost his mojo

My next door neighbor (Giants fan) gave me a hard time that maybe Allen is the kid in the 90’s movie where he hurts himself and suddenly becomes a major league pitcher. Then hurts himself again and it all disappears. 

He was busting my balls. I had a good laugh. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

My next door neighbor (Giants fan) gave me a hard time that maybe Allen is the kid in the 90’s movie where he hurts himself and suddenly becomes a major league pitcher. Then hurts himself again and it all disappears. 

He was busting my balls. I had a good laugh. 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Why is Allen absolved from criticism? Don't most people get criticized when they perform like crap? Isn't Josh making what he is to put up with what happens when you play bad? It's an occupational hazard. I don't agree with the dumb crap, like he's only worried about banging his girlfriend, but fans can and should act as they please (while having some level of human decency). This is entertainment and most of us signed up for a Super Bowl not a divisional playoff win. We have been invested in this most our lives and If Josh plays well, we will be the first to be excited and support him. If anybody who criticizes Josh is actually rooting for him to fail, they can completely piss off. That's not even close to the place this is coming from. 

Again, who is saying Allen shouldn't be criticized?  I sure as hell am not.  But there is a point where the criticism is spiteful and over the top and that point is being seen in dozens of posts on a whole bunch of threads. Hell, even on a thread asking folks to "Stop Blaming Josh Allen" a whole bunch of people feel compelled to throw crap at Allen.  Isn't there enough threads to meet that need?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’ve said the same thing many times the last few days. He’s won many more games for us than he ever lost (on his own). There’s even PFF stats on this topic. Game winning drives. Comeback wins. Etc. People naturally were waiting seven months for perfection on the first game (like last year’s Rams game). Wasn’t in the cards this year. Let him get in a groove. The last thing we want is for Allen to climax too early. 

I’m sure that’s the last thing Hailey Steinfield (?) wants too ….

• Thank you (+1) 1

Having been a  Bills fan for quite awhile Allen’s greatness has spoiled this fanbase where if he does have a bad half not even a bad game he’s not allowed to do so. I made this comment after Joe Burrow had 85 yards against a Cleveland defense that is nowhere near in the Jets area code.

You just need to realize Josh Allen is held to a different standard. He is the best player this franchise has had in 25 years. People come here cause of him not Bills mafia. He had a bad half of football it happens. I agree it’s been a little over the top but he can handle it and he’ll be fine. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

By his 6th year in NFL Brett Favre had won 3 league MVPs and a Super Bowl.  Josh has accomplished jack in his career compared to Farve at the same point.  He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, he hasn’t earned it yet.

Holy shirt balls.

I’ve made the Favre comparison myself. But I didn’t realize that at this point he had already this point with GB (7th year) he’d already done all that plus 2 SB appearances and 3x All Pros.  

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Stop babying him…he’s a grown adult who should be able to take criticism…

If I were the coach, I would even take it a step further…Whenever he starts to melt down again, I would sit him for a series- give him time to cool off and get his head right before completely imploding, and hurting the team…👍

We defintely do not want the other Allen in even for handoffs. 

20 minutes ago, Saint Douggie said:

Josh is the problem

He is the next Carson Wentz

Okay so what should the Bills do about it?

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

While the 186 threads talking about bad he played/prepared/off-season/blah blah blah is definitely excessive, he’s allowed to get criticized for what was probably his worst game as a pro 

Agreed.  But like you said the criticism is off the the charts and over the top. The last three seasons have earned Allen the benefit of doubt when he has a bad game like Monday night. That's all some of us are saying.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.