Can James Cook break a tackle, ever?!?!

zow2

On 9/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

Well has Cook changed your mind yet ? Murray is a definite compliment for short yardage & 26 has been running hard to each part is needed going forward but the RB room over all is better & the fact that Brady is actually using them in the scheme of the game & sticking with it is huge ...

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

2nd in the NFL in rushing and 3rd in scrimmage yards...I'd say Cook is everything Hall isn't right now. This take aged about as poorly as one could.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He got taken down multiple times yesterday with single arm tackles.

He's becoming a really good player in space and a lethal weapon catching balls out of the backfield.

But the fact remains that he frequently ends up on the ground on first contact, oftentimes with that contact being minimal.

It doesn't mean that he's soft or that he sucks, it's just a part of his game where he could improve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:40 PM, Pasaluki said:

I don't think his speed is that special either. For a running back to not be able to take a hit they should at have extraordinary speed. He's not terrible I just don't see him as a special player...

Not my best take here.

Amazing how Joe Brady has utilized him the right way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He's becoming a really good player in space and a lethal weapon catching balls out of the backfield.

But the fact remains that he frequently ends up on the ground on first contact, oftentimes with that contact being minimal.

It doesn't mean that he's soft or that he sucks, it's just a part of his game where he could improve.

You mean other then when he kept driving his legs and pushed 5 Cowboy defenders for 3 yards and then had the OLine come in and push them for another 5. Yeah sometimes he is going to get brought down by arm tackles.  Sometimes he is going to break multiple tackles on long runs. It's not a "1 or the other" situation.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

He broke a lot of them today and now finds himself 2nd in the NFL in rushing to McCaffery and 3rd in the NFL in total scrimmage yards to McCaffery and Tyreek, so I think he has been doing quite well in that department...

His vision is infinitely better than Zack moss and singletary it feels like too…a lot of these runs weren’t massive holes opened up 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Hard to tell how good hall is when the jets offensive line is about as bad as humanly possible 😂

Hall is damn good, so yeah, a lot of it is they know the passing attack is virtually no threat so they can load up to stop Hall.  If they get that corrected next year, Hall is likely a better player but not by much.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Cook may just end up an All-Pro this year. Only CMC and Tyreek have more yards. Currently has about 1400 yards total. Probably needs to get 4 TDs in the next 3 games (only has 6 on the season). He is the biggest benefactor with Brady at OC

Kyren Williams is on an absolute barn burning pace after missing 4 games in the middle of the season too…not sure how missing games factors into the all pro conversation though.  He doesn’t do much in the passing game though 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Kyren Williams is on an absolute barn burning pace after missing 4 games in the middle of the season too…not sure how missing games factors into the all pro conversation though.  He doesn’t do much in the passing game though 

CMC will probably get all 50 votes but Cook may be the only RB that can get one of those votes.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

And he also broke through several arm tackles.  He’s 190 lbs.  every 190 RB will get taken down by some arm tackles.  Same goes for every 200-210 RB.  Nfl defenders are good enough to sometimes make plays regardless of the ball carriers efforts.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah he is not a tackle breaker. That isn't ever going to be his game. But he is so smooth that he's consistently able to glide around or through arm tackles before they have a chance. He's also gotten very good at falling forward for extra yards while getting tackled.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He's also gotten very good at falling forward for extra yards while getting tackled.

I have definitely notice an improvement in that department. Getting 2-3 yards instead of zero doesn't seem like much but it keeps you on schedule and from getting too far behind the sticks.

He's never going to be a physically aggressive back like Alvin Kamara (who he is repeatedly compared to, inappropriately so, imo) but that's OK. Different guys have different strengths and weaknesses and there is nothing wrong with making comments about those traits. By focusing more on being elusive than being powerful it will even probably add some years to his career so he doesn't batter himself into ineffectiveness like a Cadillac Williams.

I just don't want to see people being ragged on by self-righteous homers for making honest, accurate observations about players strengths and weaknesses.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

You mean other then when he kept driving his legs and pushed 5 Cowboy defenders for 3 yards and then had the OLine come in and push them for another 5. Yeah sometimes he is going to get brought down by arm tackles.  Sometimes he is going to break multiple tackles on long runs. It's not a "1 or the other" situation.

Hes not a power back but he "breaks" tackles using his quickness in space, so tackles wind up being arm tackles. Hes had plenty of long runs and he's been one broken tackle away from taking it to the house on numerous occasions. 

Just now, Simon said:

I have definitely notice an improvement in that department. Getting 2-3 yards instead of zero doesn't seem like much but it keeps you on schedule and from getting too far behind the sticks.

He's never going to be a physically aggressive back like Alvin Kamara (who he is repeatedly compared to, inappropriately so, imo) but that's OK. Different guys have different strengths and weaknesses and there is nothing wrong with making comments about those traits. By focusing more on being elusive than being powerful it will even probably add some years to his career so he doesn't batter himself into ineffectiveness like a Cadillac Williams.

I just don't want to see people being ragged on by self-righteous homers for making honest, accurate observations about players strengths and weaknesses.

Cook is very slippery and tends to get a lot of yards when he leans sideways while being tackled so the defenders can't get a good piece of him...that reminds me a lot of Thurman...teams never got a clean hit on him, they only got little pieces of his body.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, r henderson said:

Second in the league in rushing. Third in the league with overall yardage. 4.42 speed. Plays faster than the 4.42 (Which is plenty fast). Cook is 20lbs lighter than Hall. Cook will make All-Pro this year. What’s the problem???

he’s aight.  Still not impressed cause blah blah whiny bills fans. 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

He reminds me of a slightly slower CJ2K. It is his vision and his feet I think. 

• Agree 1

He is better at being decisive and getting up to speed quickly. Before, he struggled with twinkle toes and taking too long to get north and south.

It's probably because his vision is getting better as the game continues to slow down for him. And probably because the coaches have been harping on him to do that. That game where he got benched for awhile and then came back in and dominated was a great example of what being decisive and urgent in your running can do.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As his teammates refer to him, he's "stoic".

I'd like to see a little more personality from him, although it's entirely possible he's just an introvert.

Edited by Punch

5 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I've never underestimated a player like I have Cook.  I thought he was a passing down rb only.  I'm so glad I was so wrong.

At one point during the offseason, I thought our RB situation would break down something like this.

1st down: Damien Harris (best overall back on the team).

2nd down:  Harris/Cook.

3rd down:  Cook (passing situations); Murray (3rd and short).  

I never envisioned Cook doing what he did yesterday.  It's so fun to be wrong sometimes.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punch said:

As his teammates refer to him, he's "stoic".

I'd like to see a little more personality from him, although it's entirely possible he's just an introvert.

“James, you and your team just won the Super Bowl! What are going to do next?”

“I’m going to Disney World!”

no laughing matter kanye GIF

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.