Can James Cook break a tackle, ever?!?!

zow2

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Just now, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

the difference- the jets have a much more physical defense than the bills

He's gotta be a top 5 back now after that 43 yards, right.  Buck said he looked fantastic.  Why wasnt he on the field in the drive for the tie.  I dont see how nobody gets it here, youre not running a pro style offense.  It's some hybrid run and shoot.  He's not Barry Sanders. They cant afford so many runs for losses cause he's never broke one yet. 

That’s the main complaint I see as I watch him run. He doesn’t juke defenders out of their shoes, nor does anyone slide off an attempted tackle. Basically if he’s touched he’s going down. With that said, he wasn’t the reason for the L tonight, but a Jonathan Taylor, Breece Hall, or Saquon Barkley type of back with Cook’s speed would be invaluable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know why he’s taking such a beating. He looked great tonight I thought. Usage might have been a little high, they didn’t exactly do him many favors running the same run play like 6-7 times out of the same formation. I wouldn’t expect him to get the tough yards and break tackles, I thought that’s why they signed Murray and Harris. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

That’s the main complaint I see as I watch him run. He doesn’t juke defenders out of their shoes, nor does anyone slide off an attempted tackle. Basically if he’s touched he’s going down. With that said, he wasn’t the reason for the L tonight, but a Jonathan Taylor, Breece Hall, or Saquon Barkley type of back with Cook’s speed would be invaluable. 

a jon taylor, breece hall or saquon barkley will never have his speed...thats their appeal to him..  but he will never have their abilities either. 

Just now, 1onemangang7 said:

a jon taylor, breece hall or saquon barkley will never have his speed...thats their appeal to him..  but he will never have their abilities either. 

Actually all three of those players tested faster than Cook if I’m not mistaken. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Spot on.. I saw three of four plays if he cuts up he gains another 2 yards. He kicks everything outside and doesn’t like any contact. Disappointing for sure as I expected him to have a good year. Still may but sure didn’t show it tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Murray is going to be the lead back within a couple of weeks.

I definitely want to see more Damien Harris and Murray mixed in. They are professional RBs.  Cook is a nice change of pace, he so slight though, goes down as soon as he’s touched by anyone, even a weak arm tackle. 

If he’s in open space and untouched then sure he’s a weapon.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m a huge Georgia Stan so I like Cook but he’s a pass catching back morn than a workhorse back. He’s never going to be break tackle guy. He will get you the big plays with his speed if he has a good size hole to run through. 

he’s going to have a 3-4 year career here and then they will move on. 

RB doesn’t matter, until it does. 

Yes, he can break tackles and gets yards after contact.  Everyone is being so dramatic.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/james-cook-more-snaps-buffalo-bills/

Cook has been particularly elusive. The former Georgia standout is averaging 2.99 yards after contact per attempt and has forced 16 missed tackles, per Pro Football Focus. A big play waiting to happen, Cook has accounted for 11 explosive (10-plus yards) gains as a ball-carrier. Four of Cook’s 11 explosive rushes have occurred in Buffalo’s last two games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Eh, again I want to see more of a sample size. The Jets defense is just absurdly good.

Let me see a couple more games with him as lead back. 

Unfortunately, you won’t get to see him play against the Bills run defense.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

if you want to win, youre gonna run into a few absurdly good defenses.  Lets be happy beating up on the Texans, shall we?

Sure but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good. Remember how we bottled up Henry last season? Or guys like Aaron Jones?

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Sure but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good. Remember how we bottled up Henry last season? Or guys like Aaron Jones?

I dont understand your point.  They arent even trying to bottle this guy up. They dont have to.  You bottle up Henry or jones and you expose something else.  get a clue or dont reply to me

Just now, 1onemangang7 said:

I dont understand your point.  They arent even trying to bottle this guy up. They dont have to.  You bottle up Henry or jones and you expose something else.  get a clue or dont reply to me

My point is one game doesn’t matter. Especially with a relative unknown like Cook. The Jets defense is absurdly good and I want more of a sample size of Cook as RB1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.