Sean Payton to Russell Wilson: "Focus less on 'Russell Inc' if you want to salvage your career"

Big Turk

Wow...pretty brutal assessment but honest.

“He told Wilson that to salvage his career he needed to focus less on Russell, Inc. ‘Will you stop kissing all the (f—ing) babies?’ He said. ‘You’re not running for public office.'”

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/sean-payton-russell-wilson-broncos-espn-report

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I like it.  Wilson got kind of weird over the last several years.

A bunch of big name qbs become weirdos at they age — Rodgers, Brady, Newton. They make so much more and are so important that it does become hard for them to be one of the guys. 

that said, Wilson was always kind weird. He’s the guy who is asks the teacher for extra work, sits in the first row, and answers all the questions.

• Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I think Russ rebounds and has a great year under Payton tbh

I'm somewhere in between "he's done" and "he'll be back to the old Russell Wilson."

People who didn't have the misfortune of watching every Broncos game last year (living in CO I did, just so I'd have something to talk about on Monday) probably can't comprehend exactly how effin awful Nathaniel Hackett was. Just incredibly unprepared on offense and special teams.

Wilson showed a little of the old flash late in the season and has looked leaner and more athletic in preseason so far. His main problem now: no one to throw too with a ton of injuries in the receiving corps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm somewhere in between "he's done" and "he'll be back to the old Russell Wilson."

People who didn't have the misfortune of watching every Broncos game last year (living in CO I did, just so I'd have something to talk about on Monday) probably can't comprehend exactly how effin awful Nathaniel Hackett was. Just incredibly unprepared on offense and special teams.

Wilson showed a little of the old flash late in the season and has looked leaner and more athletic in preseason so far. His main problem now: no one to throw too with a ton of injuries in the receiving corps.

Brutal, my apologies for your having gone through that. 

Last year was a continuation of Russ downwards turn but I think Payton is such a good coach he'll resurrect Russ, atleast to a point. 

Summation, he won't be terrible like he's been. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I like it.  Wilson got kind of weird over the last several years.

Weird and Corny. He almost forced this image that came off incredibly unbelievable and not genuine. He used to be one of my favorite players and yea idk what happened.

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is where I am. I think he can be serviceable to decent with a competent coach who is very good with scheming offense. Pre injuries I had the Broncos as a sneaky WC team, but it would be kind of impressive at this point given the hits they've had.

• Agree 1

Payton is one of these gurus that has been trusted to run it all, and I don't think it goes well. 

Mike Holmgren in Cleveland

Joe Gibbs back to Washington

Mike Shanahan in Washington

Marv Levy as GM in Buffalo 

John Gruden in Vegas

Mike Ditka in New Orleans

Just these legendary figures that are trusted to run it all and have full power and control. 

Best I've seen is Parcells with the AFC East and Cowboys. 

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It is not talked about enough in terms of roster creation and streamlining a team how Parcells is the GOAT by a country mile. No one has done as many reclamation jobs with the success record he has.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, babulator said:

Never been a Wilson fan, always thought he was the biggest fraud in the NFL. He's long been propped up by solid coaching defenses and run game.

I've enjoyed the watching him wrecIk his train. I expect more of the same until Payton pulls the plug. 

Yea Wilson was just a better game manager that had a lil mobility so wasn't easy to sack.  He certainly wouldn't have won his SB without the legion of boom.  Oh and a good ground game.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I think Russ rebounds and has a great year under Payton tbh

Living in Colorado and seeing how the team is changing with Payton, I believe he will be better.

AFCW was "hyped" last year but the Broncos/Raiders and Chargers should all be a little better.

33 minutes ago, babulator said:

Never been a Wilson fan, always thought he was the biggest fraud in the NFL. He's long been propped up by solid coaching defenses and run game.

I've enjoyed the watching him wreck his train. I expect more of the same until Payton pulls the plug. 

well, it did all get started with this, whatever THIS is

argg.gif?_gl=1*f6awos*_ga*ODA4MzEyMjMwLj

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just these legendary figures that are trusted to run it all and have full power and control. 

Wasn't there also some guy a few hours up the road from Parcells' former location who ran it all as head coach and GM and who won a couple or six Super Bowl rings?

(Nice to see people forgetting that!)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Wasn't there also some guy a few hours up the road from Parcells' former location who ran it all as head coach and GM and who won a couple or six Super Bowl rings?

(Nice to see people forgetting that!)

Yeah man, Bill Belichick, who is that? 

You're right I've never heard of him. 

I'm saying these guys who retire after a lengthy career, and then are brought back to run another team at outrageous prices. 

I don't have an exact timeline in front of me, but Belichick went from Cleveland to the Jets and then landed in New England. He wasn't some aged/retired Coach in 2000. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Living in Colorado and seeing how the team is changing with Payton, I believe he will be better.

AFCW was "hyped" last year but the Broncos/Raiders and Chargers should all be a little better.

I'm all for the AFCW being better.  Anything that can chip away at the Chiefs so they don't go 6-0 in the division.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Was never a huge fan of his. Seemed overhyped for a slightly better than average QB.  He seemed like an ok guy though until last 4-5 years when he started believing his own propaganda machine.    

I just don’t see his career getting better this year under SP. he will probably be put in better positions to succeed but his physical talents have diminished so much it may not make much difference.   

5 hours ago, babulator said:

Throw him on the pile of Mark Rypiens and Trent Dilfers. They got one yes, but they were not the reason. For some reason people kept voting him into the Pro-bowl though, I never quite got it.

Rypien and Differ are as different as salt and Chevrolets.

Rypien was a decent game manager lifted by a spectacular team and Rypien was one of the two or three best QBs in the league for a year or two until an unexplainable fall-off which we now know to have been a really serious series of concussions.

Wilson I think won't be as good as he was because a lot of his success came at how spectacular he was at escaping rushes and he's getting to the age where he'll never be that athletic again. But he still could improve a ton this year. Not a sure thing by any means but possible, I think.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do too. Payton is a brilliant offensive mind and can actually compete with a coach like Andy Reid. The roster is a different story, but if he can get Russ back to form and retain their strong defense which will be even better when they aren’t on the field all day. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hackett getting a head coach job is the most absurd turn of events I can recall in a long time.  We saw his nfl entrance first hand. He was terrible… awful 

nepotism man. It the only reason he’s not a safety monitor at the local trampoline park. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Russ was never good enough to justify the Denver trade. In a balanced situation he most certainly regresses last year but nothing to extent we saw. Now his legacy of ever being a solid QB is in jeopardy and I expect he will have an above average season. As most have pointed out unless you saw those Broncos games, it was hard to comprehend just how bad Hackett was. Players don't typically take linear paths. It's more jagged unless this is the end but I think it's a bit soon to call it that. In his prime and what we likely see a bit this year he was mobile, outstanding deep ball, and very good accuracy. Not the best guy reading the field or getting the ball out but elite in the other areas. Tyrod was sort of a poor mans version. Wilson was much better than Tyrod stretching the field but similar skills. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.