Is Tre Back?

hondo in seattle

I've suffered from preseason worries about our secondary.  On paper, we look great.  But our three stars - White, Hyde, Poyer - all had injury issues last year.  And the two safeties aren't getting younger.  

And last season, Tre just didn't look the same after coming back from his ACL.  Beane recently said this:

"I think Tre’Davious is in a really good spot.  You can just see it when you talk to him. He’s confident. You know, the D.A. was a tough deal for him. Was his first major injury. And, you know, not an easy one to come back from, you know, when you’ve never dealt with that. And he’s in a great headspace. He’s really confident. And I see a guy who’s ascending and getting himself back to the Tre that he was pre-injury.”

I like the first part of the quote but when Beane says he's "ascending" and "getting himself back," I began to worry again.  

Is Tre really in a "good spot" or is he still "getting himself back?"  

www.whec.com/sports-news/brandon-beane-envisions-tre-white-ascending-to-pre-injury-form/

• Thank you (+1) 1

I sure hope so! I was never a big Tre fan in the first place. I think he had a lot of good games vs less talented teams. He built stats in games where he piled the tackles, int's in meaningless games. But when we face a good team with good receivers he is absent. He does not attack like a "new NFL" CB. he doesn't have and never did have that animal instinct. Tre is good (or can be) but not great. He worries me too and NFL coaches know this. Monday night will sure show us a lot. My worry is we will watch the Tre-get-burned holding his hands up in the air Tre... like we usually do.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 9
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I sure hope so! I was never a big Tre fan in the first place. I think he had a lot of good games vs less talented teams. He built stats in games where he piled the tackles, int's in meaningless games. But when we face a good team with good receivers he is absent. He does not attack like a "new NFL" CB. he doesn't have and never did have that animal instinct. Tre is good (or can be) but not great. He worries me too and NFL coaches know this. Monday night will sure show us a lot. My worry is we will watch the Tre-get-burned holding his hands up in the air Tre... like we usually do.

Yea some of that can be more the system than him as a player…a lot of those people known as lockdown corners play a lot of man typically.  The bills seem to be more into disguising different types of zone coverage well…that’s pretty anecdotal though I don’t know the rates we play man vs zone vs some combo of the two 

I would think it could’ve been conditioning for tre last season too…I don’t think his slow start was all because of not trusting his knee. Although that’s impossible to know for sure 

some of it can be when he returned,  pass rush is a dbs best friend and ours fell off a cliff when we lost von. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

What games are you watching? Before his injury he was basically a shutdown corner. You didn't hear his name as the ball wasn't headed his way which speaks volumes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Does anyone here really think he's going to be back to pre knee injury Tre? He can be good but I think people need to reign in their expectations. He's almost 2 years older so he's going to naturally lose a step as times goes on. That's just the reality of the position. The best corners 5 years ago aren't going to be the top guys anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

What games are you watching? Before his injury he was basically a shutdown corner. You didn't hear his name as the ball wasn't headed his way which speaks volumes.

The ones that counted. I didn't hear his name because he wasn't making plays. I heard his name too much because he was overrated. I'm a long-time Bills fan... Tre has been a mediocre over glorified CB.

We will see... I sure hope he can elevate his play.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

i-couldnt-disagree-with-you-more-matthew

we will see. I sure hope you are correct.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 9

11 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

That's why you think this way.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You can always tell who never played sports at a high level with their expectations of how players should respond after injuries. Cornerback is most physically difficult position to play in football. Knee injuries generally take about 2 years to recover from. Tre will be back to his old self this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

The ones that counted. I didn't hear his name because he wasn't making plays. I heard his name too much because he was overrated. I'm a long-time Bills fan... Tre has been a mediocre over glorified CB.

We will see... I sure hope he can elevate his play.

we will see. I sure hope you are correct.

This is ridiculous and untrue. Tre White was an elite player. You can doubt that he'll return to form if you want, but there is no doubt that he has been a true difference maker at his position. It seems you just don't understand what you are watching if you think otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've suffered from preseason worries about our secondary.  On paper, we look great.  But our three stars - White, Hyde, Poyer - all had injury issues last year.  And the two safeties aren't getting younger.  

And last season, Tre just didn't look the same after coming back from his ACL.  Beane recently said this:

"I think Tre’Davious is in a really good spot.  You can just see it when you talk to him. He’s confident. You know, the D.A. was a tough deal for him. Was his first major injury. And, you know, not an easy one to come back from, you know, when you’ve never dealt with that. And he’s in a great headspace. He’s really confident. And I see a guy who’s ascending and getting himself back to the Tre that he was pre-injury.”

I like the first part of the quote but when Beane says he's "ascending" and "getting himself back," I began to worry again.  

www.whec.com/sports-news/brandon-beane-envisions-tre-white-ascending-to-pre-injury-form/

I mean he hadn't played in over a year until that point and from what I've read about the situation it got into his head that he would reinjure himself every time he would go out there so he was tenative (That is what I gathered from it not his own words). He seemed much different in the few times I saw him in preseason but it's always worrisome after an injury to players of his caliber. Like you said though if we can even get an upgrade from last season (which I think is a given imo) then we should be golden there. 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Corner play doesn’t seem like it’s at a super high premium in the McDermott system anyway so as long as he’s better than last year we should be fine. 

the safety play last year felt like it hurt a lot more than the corners…hopefully we’ve got a healthy hyde/poyer combo.

GBF, corner play is paramount for a McD/Jimmy Johnson defense.  Having Tre, Taron or Rapp for big nickel, and whichever of the three guys makes his defense.  This is why we’ve had a top passing defense since McBeane made it here.  So many teams focus so heavily on the front four, and we balance front four with back five.  Where they’ve decided to have role players is in the middle and Milano has proven he’s a stud too.

This is why I’m not as wrapped around the axle on MLB.  This is not by me, but by McBeanes actions the last important of the 11.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

50+ years of fandom have done that to me.  

There are people in 3rd world southeast Asian countries that don't get to see Josh Allen make incredible plays, Sean McDermott clap and Matt Milano cracking ribs with his shoulder.....don't take it for granted what you have.  It could be worse, you could be cheering for your village to beat another village with a 1981 Adidas soccer ball half covered in duct tape playing on a mud field without a dome. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Corner play doesn’t seem like it’s at a super high premium in the McDermott system anyway so as long as he’s better than last year we should be fine. 

the safety play last year felt like it hurt a lot more than the corners…hopefully we’ve got a healthy hyde/poyer combo.

McDermott has been the coach for 7 drafts.  They used first round picks on CBs twice.  I'd say they put a premium on the position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure White will ever be back to his pre injury form but even if so he was always a bit on the overrated side.

If he can't return to that form or anything close to it this is likely his last season in Buffalo anyway given expectations this roster is going to look vastly different next year given pending cap situation.

• Disagree 1

I think there's a a very high chance he's done. He'll hang on in the league a little while longer, but I expect him to be a JAG from this point out instead of the $20M Tre White we knew. An ACL for a corner is a killer, and great corners can start falling off hard as early as their late 20's even with decent health. He'll be 29 in a few months and coupled with the injury, I just don't see him having much left. Maybe he can get one more pro bowl nod based on adequate play and name recognition, But I think his days of being a top 10 guy are over.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He was elite in 2019. His guy was targeted 90 times that year. He allowed a 43 passer rating with 6 picks. First team all pro.  Not much worse in his rookie year or 2020.

he looked like a shell of himself last year. Hoping he rebounds like Revis did from the knee, otherwise he’s a very expensive middling corner that will need to be cut or traded the first out they have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Just wanted to point out there are NO players in the entire  league that are getting younger so not sure that should be held against Hyde and Poyer exclusively that they aren't getting younger.

I am going on record now... 

no player ever will be getting younger, that includes past present and all future players. I'm pretty certain that I won't be wrong on this.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If that is the case, then why did they use a #1 pick two years ago on a CB?  😉

Because we only had one unproven corner when we drafted Elam that wasn’t Tre, and Tre was still out with a torn ACL.  It was by far the biggest hole on the team on draft night and Elam was the only player left on Beanes board with a first round grade with our late pick.  

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There are people in 3rd world southeast Asian countries that don't get to see Josh Allen make incredible plays, Sean McDermott clap and Matt Milano cracking ribs with his shoulder.....don't take it for granted what you have.  It could be worse, you could be cheering for your village to beat another village with a 1981 Adidas soccer ball half covered in duct tape playing on a mud field without a dome. 

I can’t believe they have to survive without a dome……

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Over the last 3 seasons we have the number 1 pass defense in the NFL allowing just 200 yards per game.  And that is with Hyde missing most of last year and Tre getting hurt in 2021 and then playing only part of a season last year where he wasn't the same player.  As far as Tre goes, all reports have been pretty positive on how Tre has looked and seems poised to be much improved than he was last season.  

And now we have real quality depth at CB too with Dane, Elam, and Benford.  

At safety, Poyer was playing at an elite level last we saw him, so no reason to doubt his level of play.  And Hyde is back and didn't take much wear and tear last year after missing most the season with the neck issue.  Plus we also have Rapp who is a good player in himself again giving us depth at safety.

So I see no reason why the leagues best pass defense over the past 3 years won't still be amongst the best again this season.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Over the last 3 seasons we have the number 1 pass defense in the NFL allowing just 200 yards per game.  And that is with Hyde missing most of last year and Tre getting hurt in 2021 and then playing only part of a season last year where he wasn't the same player.  As far as Tre goes, all reports have been pretty positive on how Tre has looked and seems poised to be much improved than he was last season.  

And now we have real quality depth at CB too with Dane, Elam, and Benford.  

At safety, Poyer was playing at an elite level last we saw him, so no reason to doubt his level of play.  And Hyde is back and didn't take much wear and tear last year after missing most the season with the neck issue.  Plus we also have Rapp who is a good player in himself again giving us depth at safety.

So I see no reason why the leagues best pass defense over the past 3 years won't still be amongst the best again this season.

Adding Bill O’Brien to Pats, and Aaron Rodgers to the Jets and a season long healthy Tua seems to make the Bills job much harder 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He was elite in 2019. His guy was targeted 90 times that year. He allowed a 43 passer rating with 6 picks. First team all pro.  Not much worse in his rookie year or 2020.

he looked like a shell of himself last year. Hoping he rebounds like Revis did from the knee, otherwise he’s a very expensive middling corner that will need to be cut or traded the first out they have. 

This might be his last year in Buffalo regardless, along with many other vets that this team will be moving on from in the offseason which makes it that much more critical to try and get to/win a SB this year even though it's going to be a much more difficult task than recent years past.

• Agree 1

He was very good in 2017-2018 and elite in 2019.  IIRC that was the season he didn't allow a TD reception.  Those years Marcia was still in the division so you can't use the "weak QB play in division" to discredit him.  Maybe a move to FS is in the future if he can't get back to his former self because of his high football IQ.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not sure White will ever be back to his pre injury form but even if so he was always a bit on the overrated side.

If he can't return to that form or anything close to it this is likely his last season in Buffalo anyway given expectations this roster is going to look vastly different next year given pending cap situation.

Put Down The Pipe Of Paranoia!!!!

35 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Curious what you saw. He looked slow and tentative to me. 

That’s a fair question. I agree that he never got anywhere close to the old Tre last season, but he did seem to be improving. By now he should be healthy and over the mental hurdles. The remaining question is whether he is back 100% physically. I have heard (Marino on Locked On Bills) that he looks great, but I haven’t seen it myself. So there’s some hope built into my prediction. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.