The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

16 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Watch the Broncos first TD, about 3:50 sec in. and follow #49

Watch the replay especially... 

Bro, you don’t understand. His assignment was the patch of grass. He did his 1/11th (which is what all great players do).

in all seriousness, that’s a low effort play more than anything, and that’s unusual even by Edmunds’ low standards.  I’m starting to buy @Coach Tuesday that this guy has already checked out.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Bro, you don’t understand. His assignment was the patch of grass. He did his 1/11th (which is what all great players do).

in all seriousness, that’s a low effort play more than anything, and that’s unusual even by Edmunds’ low standards.  I’m starting to buy @Coach Tuesday that this guy has already checked out.

I’d categorize this as a “low effort play.”

Bills at Chiefs 2020 AFCCG (7:25 mark)

Watch as Edmunds runs half speed to Tyreek and his subsequent pathetic attempt at a tackle. Does that look like the effort of a player who just HAD to make that stop? It’s when my criticisms of his play really started to pick up.

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Watch as Edmunds runs half speed to Tyreek and his subsequent pathetic attempt at a tackle. Does that look like the effort of a player who just HAD to make that stop? It’s when my criticisms of his play really started to pick up.

What's really impressive about that play is how his wingspan and middle of the field presence really stopped Mahomes from fitting it in on the quick slant. Lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

That was absolutely horrid... I am soooo glad we don't have LBs that give that effort now. 

PS: I was very pleased at how Bernard got off/around blocks from olinemen last game. He is a HUGE upgrade!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

What's really impressive about that play is how his wingspan and middle of the field presence really stopped Mahomes from fitting it in on the quick slant. Lol.

Yeah his wingspan and middle of the field presence were always overvalued amongst Bills fans. I have a hard time believing that neither Bernard nor Milano make that stop. Hell, I think Dodson makes the stop too. It wasn’t a lack of top speed issue, it was a lack of all out effort. 

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah his wingspan and middle of the field presence were always overvalued amongst Bills fans. I have a hard time believing that neither Bernard nor Milano make that stop. Hell, I think Dodson makes the stop too. It wasn’t a lack of top speed issue, it was a lack of all out effort. 

You know I watched the 2021 highlights of Bills Chiefs and the Hardman TD where he somehow escaped 4 defenders, Edmunds was basically fast walking to the play.

Now, Hardman is a speed demon so it's hard to say Edmunds would've prevented the TD, but he certainly wasn't playing to the whistle at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stosh64 said:

Oh my God this gave me flashbacks. Only 4 games in and I had forgotten that LBs could look like they're on ice skates. I sincerely think he was even worse than a lot of his biggest detractors thought.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

Who cares at this point?  He got his pay day, he is on a terrible team and he is not an impact player.  His less lauded replacement is doing the job better than he did.  I say addition by subtraction. 

and then addition by addition, by adding a better player! It's a 2-step equation

Bills - (-1x) + 1x = Bills + 2x better at LB

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see the Edmunds report all season long. If some of you guys don’t want to hear about Tremaine’s (lack) of exploits then don’t click on the F’n link. 

Why? Because I love following ex-Bills players and see how they are doing. I don’t root against them and often root for them. I was a HUGE Tremaine supporter his first few years. I bought my daughter an Edmunds jersey because I was convinced we had the QB of our defense for a decade.  The reason I want to see how they are doing is because I want to see if me, as one of the best armchair GMs in the league and McBeane, as one of the best real Coach/GMs in the league made the right decision. So far, Edmunds is an absolute BUST at 18 million a year. I wanted to keep him at 12 mil, I’m glad that didn’t happen because it’s pretty clear after 4 games that at the MLB position in THIS defense, Bernard looks to be better.

So far, the only player I can think of that we let go and shouldn’t have is Teller. Hodkins? Hahah please. The next decision will be Gabe Davis if he doesn’t get extended before the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Compare that Justin Zimmer running full bore 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Oh my God this gave me flashbacks. Only 4 games in and I had forgotten that LBs could look like they're on ice skates. I sincerely think he was even worse than a lot of his biggest detractors thought.

Sux. Always did. Sucks against the run and sucks against the pass.

@BADOLBILZ letting his rose colored glasses skew his vision again, always been way too high on ol' Tremaine he has.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Tyreek gave him props on his hustle after the game. Said he saw #61 chasing him relentlessly and thought to himself “I’m not getting hit by that big dude.” Thought it was pretty cool he recognized Zimmer more than any of the other defenders chasing him and took the time to praise him.

42 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tyreek gave him props on his hustle after the game. Said he saw #61 chasing him relentlessly and thought to himself “I’m not getting hit by that big dude.” Thought it was pretty cool he recognized Zimmer more than any of the other defenders chasing him and took the time to praise him.

I remember that. Too bad zimmer got hurt, he was a baller 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looks like McD got the best out of him.

Which wasn’t much at all. I mean look at bernard who doesn’t have half the physical tools and was a 3rd round selection.

Ok I think I’m officially over beating the dead horse that was tremaines career here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:50 PM, ngbills said:

True. Most of this board would be celebrating if we signed Edmunds to that contract. But since we didn't of course it has to be he sucks.

It such a weird place sometimes. If you complain that Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, or whoever is not good enough your a hater and need to find another team. You say that Edmunds is a good player and you are clueless. Ed Oliver was terrible when people thought he would not be resigned, he comes back and now he is amazing. McD takes over as DC and we are so much better than our top 5 D from last year that started off the year with a better 3 game performance. 

Miami. To Oliver's credit he got paid  and now is actually living up to that contract.  It remains to be seen if he continues to do so.  The rotation as well as our backend complement each other well.  Will see if that continues with the shuffling needed after white was lost for season.  I think we will be fine McD knows how to tinker with pass coverages. And that gave our guys the time to take Tua down.  We didn't hit him in any dirty way just solidly.  Let teams that can get to Tua copy our game with success.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now this is funny. 

Accurate analogy. A step further, you can't be a coverage and pursuit LB and not generate turnovers. Edmunds will always be more specimen than football player. He got paid and the Bills seem to be better off. Win for both parties. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Looks like McD got the best out of him.

Which is becoming more and more evident with his play on the Bears. The bears coaching staff currently has their team on the path to worst in the league, but I don't fault them for expecting more from a high priced FA. Their FO screwed this up big time - by paying a lot for a LB with lot of limitations

• Like (+1) 1

I'm happy to eat my plate of crow, I thought there would be a huge drop off once #49 left, I wasn't a huge fan of Tremaine, but I thought the front office was full of sh#$ when they said the replacement was in the building. Kudos to the scouting department and beane, Bernard looks like an absolute stud. Also best of luck to Tremaine, he seemed like a good dude by all accounts. Go bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I was watching some highlights from old games we won and now I cant help but notice how tentative he looks. Its such a stark difference between him and Bernard being instinctive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, stosh64 said:

It's hard to understand. The guy is huge. If he goes low on that lineman, he could have blown him up and stopped the play. What good is it to be 6'5 250 pounds if you play like a DB? Is he just soft?

• Agree 1

Tremaine is the same type of player he's always been. Tremendously gifted athletically, but lacks the instincts and the physicality to ever truly make a difference. He was the best version he'll ever be of himself on the field while he was here and everyone involved with the decision making process made the right one by letting him walk. 

It's interesting, I am not upset at the Bills taking the chance on Edmunds.  He had all of the physical traits you would look for, and Im sure Beane and co banked on their ability to take a young, raw, athlete and turn him into a ballhawking instinctive MLB.  Problem is, Edmunds just never developed that killer instinct.  We've seen it with lots of busts, Darnold, Wilson, Rosen, etc.  Guys who just couldn't run mentally at the pace of the game.

It's a shame, but man did they hit with Bernard.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we need to let Tremaine Edmunds go. His time is done as a bill.

We should be happy that the bills were right in the way that they went about his replacement

Kudos to the front office

I'm honestly a bit shocked. I posted upthread that I was interested in following/discussing Edmunds into the future. That was because I figured we'd see some plateauing or even a bit of development, and there's still be some healthy debate about what he is vs what he could be.

But this drop off a cliff is killing any real discussion and going to put this topic to rest far quicker than I expected. It's going to be a few more weeks of seeming like we're kicking him when he's down (even though its his own play and own coaches doing that to him), and then it wont be fun anymore.

At least Tremaine got paid I guess. I'd let you all talk ***** about me here for $50M+.

4 hours ago, finn said:

It's hard to understand. The guy is huge. If he goes low on that lineman, he could have blown him up and stopped the play. What good is it to be 6'5 250 pounds if you play like a DB? Is he just soft?

Yeah, I saw that previously and my thought was, 'same old Tremaine'.  He gets pushed around like a 90 lb weaking. Good guy. Just overhyped and overpaid LB. Glad it's on the Bears books and not Buffalo's.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

You know I watched the 2021 highlights of Bills Chiefs and the Hardman TD where he somehow escaped 4 defenders, Edmunds was basically fast walking to the play.

Now, Hardman is a speed demon so it's hard to say Edmunds would've prevented the TD, but he certainly wasn't playing to the whistle at all.

That's kind of what I couldn't understand. There were times it looked like he should have been in 5th gear chasing down a ball carrier, but instead he'd look like he was out for a morning jog. I think he expected someone else to make the tackle, but he'd be there for the assist.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.