One big bright spot from the game - Kincaid

Virgil

There weren’t great stats or anything, but it’s hard to not get excited at this kids potential.   Dude looks smooth out there with his running. Good hands, fast, and looks nothing like a rookie.  Dude put some moves out there on some linebackers too. 

With Diggs being Diggs, Gabe supposedly back to 100%, we have 3 really good pass options out there.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

There weren’t great stats or anything, but it’s hard to not get excited at this kids potential.   Dude looks smooth out there with his running. Good hands, fast, and looks nothing like a rookie.  Dude put some moves out there on some linebackers too. 

With Diggs being Diggs, Gabe supposedly back to 100%, we have 3 really good pass options out there.  

Hey while we're looking at good rookies from tonight...shout out to Torrence. Looked very solid out there against a good defense. Easily the bright spot on the OL tonight. He's going to be a good one!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

He’s borderline elite right now to me. Very few TE’s have the route improv skills like Kelce. Kincaid does.

He may end up with the 2nd most targets and receptions on the team

He’s already been lined up & run routes from outside, the slot and in-line so far this preaseason.

Allen played 17 snaps. Kincaid 13 of them

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Special K said:

By the end of the year, he will definitely be someone opposing defenses will have to gameplan around.

If all goes well, he will be in the hunt for OROY for sure.

I'm expecting he's gonna be the outlier as a rookie Te that does break a lot of rookie TE records. 

Edited by AuntieEm

He looks like the real deal. I typically try to temper my expectations but that dude gets me psyched. I really get this feeling that he's gonna be like a top five at his position within a couple years. 

Aside from that, the penalties were pretty irritating. For as much as ol' McD preaches discipline and fundamentals his teams tend to get flagged a lot. 

I guess I'd like to assume that they went the "vanilla" route with things and didn't want to put any of their fancy schmancy stuff on tape. Penalties killed a decent drive and wiped out that 35 yard zinger to Gabe. Bah. 

Anywho, as a total professional foosball coach my advice to them would be: stop breakin' the rules, @**holes!

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Kincaid is going to be a special player for years to come. But I'm still very concerned whether one of the 2nd level receivers steps up in that WR4 role?

4 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I'm expecting he's gonna be the outlier as a rookie Te that does break a lot of rookie TE records. 

I think you are right. The thing with rookie tight ends is that few have a mix of talent and situation to succeed right away. If you look at the history of first round tight ends it is littered with them going to mediocre teams or teams with mediocre QBs. Landing with the Bills and Josh Allen gives Kincaid a real chance to be productive quickly. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’ve read we’re not to draw conclusions from preseason games. That being said, he did look smooth. Hopefully his inevitable TE adjustment period is fleeting.

not draw conclusions from pre-season games?  I think Quintin Morris just lost his job with 2 terrible performances.  Sternberger has more potential.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Kincaid is going to be a special player for years to come. But I'm still very concerned whether one of the 2nd level receivers steps up in that WR4 role?

Honestly I don’t think any of those other receivers will be 4th target unless it’s a gadget play.  

T1 - Diggs

T2 - Davis/Kincaid

T4 - Knox/RB

I’m not saying you don’t have a point or we don’t need a WR3 and beyond, I’m just saying I don’t think they see many useful targets 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I think you are right. The thing with rookie tight ends is that few have a mix of talent and situation to succeed right away. If you look at the history of first round tight ends it is littered with them going to mediocre teams or teams with mediocre QBs. Landing with the Bills and Josh Allen gives Kincaid a real chance to be productive quickly. 

And with Diggs, Davis, and Knox on field Kincaid is gonna eat as all the receivers are likely to, providing they find answer to oline protection.  Even if it's just a good pocket Josh can step into to quickly throw to slot or one of the speed options we keep. Harty,  Isabella ... 

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, HappyCat said:

not draw conclusions from pre-season games?  I think Quintin Morris just lost his job with 2 terrible performances.  Sternberger has more potential.

Fair. You may draw two kinds of conclusions here: 1) positive hype conclusions; and 2) conclusions that no one cares about, i.e. Quintin Morris. Any other conclusions, such as critical conclusions about starters, shall be dismissed as “only preseason.”

• Eyeroll 2

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Fair. You may draw two kinds of conclusions here: 1) positive hype conclusions; and 2) conclusions that no one cares about, i.e. Quintin Morris. Any other conclusions, such as critical conclusions about starters, shall be dismissed as “only preseason.”

Correct. How a returning starter looks in preseason means little compared to the all the regular season games we’ve seen them in before. For players who’ve seen little to no action in a Bills uniform, how they look in preseason is much more important for assessing that player. Glad we’re on the same page 👍.

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The way the O Line is playing we'll need him in there to block.

Except if he plays  and he fakes blocking then releases out into some open area as does Kincaid from  the slot as Diggs and Davis run their routes.  There may be a cook out on a set route as well unless he gets his pass pro down and is taking out any delayed blitzer.  

Edited by AuntieEm

Hard to see the whole field on broadcast footage but I thought I saw him work open a few more times when Josh was out there but the reads were to Diggs and Davis. He was also going to be open for a TD on the red zone play where Barkley threw an interception, he had beat his man 1v1 and was headed towards the pylon looking back for the ball. Barkley never looked at him.

As impressive as he looked in his limited opportunities it still feels like the Bills are hiding him a bit. I expect his role to be fully unleashed in games that matter. An elite pass catching TE is a cheat code and very hard to find. I'm glad Beane didn't overthink the pick and simply took the best talent remaining on the board.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He’s borderline elite right now to me. Very few TE’s have the route improv skills like Kelce. Kincaid does.

He may end up with the 2nd most targets and receptions on the team

He’s already been lined up & run routes from outside, the slot and in-line so far this preaseason.

Allen played 17 snaps. Kincaid 13 of them

I doubt Kincaid gets more targets than Davis. Curb your enthusiasm; he's a rookie and the Bills have several options  

From what he has shown so far, it looks like Kincaid indeed has the potential for a great career. Now, we need to hope Dorsey and McDermott put him in positions to succeed. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. 

• Disagree 1

Yeah Kincaid looks the part. Smooth athlete, will be hard to defend…… actually all the rookies look good yesterday. All contributed . Torrence was solid, Williams was all over the place making tackles, shorter was making catches and plays on SP, Austin made some good plays on Defense and SP over all great stuff. 

Davis and Kincaid performing at a high level would be a massive improvement offensively over last year. 

My sense is that there will be less bombs from Allen this year and more pocket passing short to intermediate routes with a running game. With a better oline we will hopefully see less scrambling from Allen also. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's certainly got enormous potential to make an impact this year.  The problem with preseason games is that teams don't lay in a gameplan, they don't watch film, and they show as little of the playbook as possible.  For teams like the Bills and Steelers, preseason is the time to evaluate the talent brought in during the offseason,  avoid injuries to the starters, and iron out any obvious bugs.

For the most part, they already know who their starters are before the first preseason game. 

That said, it's good to see that McDermott wasn't happy, and that nobody else on the team was happy either.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Honestly I don’t think any of those other receivers will be 4th target unless it’s a gadget play.  

T1 - Diggs

T2 - Davis/Kincaid

T4 - Knox/RB

I’m not saying you don’t have a point or we don’t need a WR3 and beyond, I’m just saying I don’t think they see many useful targets 

Agreed.  Lost in the penalty fest last night was that Diggs & Davis both looked sharp making a couple of nice catches.  And the beauty of preseason is that while it didn't count that 35 yard Allen strike to Davis was the kind of play we were expecting to happen regularly last season.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Davis and Kincaid performing at a high level would be a massive improvement offensively over last year. 

My sense is that there will be less bombs from Allen this year and more pocket passing short to intermediate routes with a running game. With a better oline we will hopefully see less scrambling from Allen also. 

I think you’ll see both, one setting up the other.  Teams can’t defend the middle of the field and the deep corners.  If we mix it up correctly, it’s going to setup some big mismatches or single coverage 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.