Impressions from game

JMM

It's obvious they want Torrence to be starter and Bates backup center. He held his own. Kincaid was in first 2 series, maybe they wanted to keep him under wraps a bit because he was invisible. 

Backup O line a disaster. Pray no injuries.  Middle D bad against run. I'd like to see Daquan and Poona in there early downs. Let Oliver be pass downs or move him around, he gets plowed.

Allen has good arm but I see what they have been saying during camp. Bad decisions , looks jumpy. Frankly if Josh out a game I'd rather see Barkley, he was terrific today.

Isabella flashed! Reminds me of young Beasley.  Keep him. Shavers flashed, love his length. Harty is TINY! Yikes, but I can see how he could be explosive in open field.

All in all a decent performance.  Next week we get to see the closest to what the week 1 Bills will look like. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted this in the game day thread as well, but Cook already has me excited for this season.

His vision to bounce runs outside is something we have missed for many years when Singletary was the running back.

I have no doubt that Singletary plows into the line rather than bouncing it outside for the TD on this play:

Here is what Singletary frustratingly has done all too often:

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Posted this in the game day thread as well, but Cook already has me excited for this season.

His vision to bounce runs outside is something we have missed for many years when Singletary was the running back.

I have no doubt that Singletary plows into the line rather than bouncing it outside for the TD on this play:

Here is what Singletary frustratingly has done all too often:

That Singletary play was one he did in fact cut back to the right… but got caught at the edge. 

I think Cook is the better prospect but Devin wasn’t god awful here. All RBs can miss a channel for free yards here or there. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ll borrow from Sal:

Arrow up:

Torrence

Isabella 

Mims 

Dane Jackson 

Basham

Dorian Williams - you can see the talent 

Broeker - backup IOL right now 

Arrow down:

Kyle Allen 

Shakir - just can’t drop any easy ones the bar is too high in that WR room 

Shorter - not noticeable and was outplayed by Johnson and Ateman

Spector - just meh 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This is a really really good football team that is going to be absolute hell to play against. 

That Dline against a mediocre at best Jets oline is going to have Aaron getting happy feet by the 3rd quarter.

The WR and RB rooms clearly have the most talent since Josh has been here. They can even run the ball from traditional formations. 

They have some very tough decisions to make the toughest being how to break the news to Josh that Kyle should be in the CFL. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What I saw is preseason. Practices can be a lot more telling than games. I think wr and lb you clearly have guys fighting for jobs and roles on this team. 

This thread is called “impressions from game” not preseason vs. practices. 

You have any impressions you’d like to share? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Barkely did well in the 4th qtr of game 1 preseason, against many players that probably won't be in the league in 3 weeks.

Well, that certainly is more encouraging than looking bad against the camp fodder.   😋

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Barkely did well in the 4th qtr of game 1 preseason, against many players that probably won't be in the league in 3 weeks.

He was good, regardless of the circumstances.  I'd feel better w/ him as QB2 right now.

• Agree 5

34 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’ll borrow from Sal:

Arrow up:

Torrence

Isabella 

Mims 

Dane Jackson 

Basham

Dorian Williams - you can see the talent 

Broeker - backup IOL right now 

Arrow down:

Kyle Allen 

Shakir - just can’t drop any easy ones the bar is too high in that WR room 

Shorter - not noticeable and was outplayed by Johnson and Ateman

Spector - just meh 

Nothing against Dane, but I believe he played 5 snaps so that’s a small sample size to say up or down. If you want to say it’s up and basing it on for starting and making the gift interception 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

Nothing against Dane, but I believe he played 5 snaps so that’s a small sample size to say up or down. If you want to say it’s up and basing it on for starting and making the gift interception 

Basing it on him starting, getting a pick, and the other 2 guys not showing they’re going to take the job - yet.  

Elam and Benford each had a hold if I’m not mistaken.   

Edited by Big Blitz

53 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That Singletary play was one he did in fact cut back to the right… but got caught at the edge. 

No he didn’t. He went straight through the 4 hole.

But even in an alternate universe where he bounced it out, the fact that he couldn’t make one edge contain miss is also a massive problem of his.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JMM said:

It's obvious they want Torrence to be starter and Bates backup center. He held his own. Kincaid was in first 2 series, maybe they wanted to keep him under wraps a bit because he was invisible. 

Backup O line a disaster. Pray no injuries.  Middle D bad against run. I'd like to see Daquan and Poona in there early downs. Let Oliver be pass downs or move him around, he gets plowed.

Allen has good arm but I see what they have been saying during camp. Bad decisions , looks jumpy. Frankly if Josh out a game I'd rather see Barkley, he was terrific today.

Isabella flashed! Reminds me of young Beasley.  Keep him. Shavers flashed, love his length. Harty is TINY! Yikes, but I can see how he could be explosive in open field.

All in all a decent performance.  Next week we get to see the closest to what the week 1 Bills will look like. 

I agree I want to see more of Isabella, but I wasn't sold on Shavers after the pick six and followup drop.

• Agree 2

My shoutouts from the game:

RBs: This group looked good. Cook ran with ease. Murray showed strong in both the run and pass game. Mims played tough. And even Evans had a nice kick return. When Damien comes back, wow, this is going to be a real solid RB room, bringing a bit more balance and toughness to the offense.

WRs: Ditto. A lot of guys flashed. Shakir had two great catches but the bad drop also (needs to find consistency). Shavers also had a drop that marred his two nice catches a bit.  But catching a TD pass always looks good. Isabella looks real fast and looked at least sure-handed in the return game. Patmon, Ateman, and Johnson all looked real good too, answered the bell (with Patmon pulling in the other tuddie).

Dorian Williams: 7 tackles (6 solo). This is exactly what I liked about this kid when the Bills drafted him. Fast, sure tackler. I love that the Bills put a focus on tackling with their defensive players. If you are a strong tackler, doesn't matter your measurables or draft position, you got a shot to make it in the league (see Dane Jackson and Damar Hamlin, etc.). Dorian still has a long ways to go to become a starter, but I will feel pretty confident with him backing up Milano.

Nice game for Boogie with 3 solo tackles and a sack. And Eli Ankou stood out to me as well.

Dane with the INT. Still holding off the young guys.

Lots of young guys on defense with one or two good plays, highlighted by Travin Howard's massive hit and solo tackle to prevent the 2-point conversion.

Martin punted real well. With punters, you don't know what you got till its gone. Glad we got Sam.

Matt Barkley: Insync with his receivers, got the ball out quickly, great anticipation and command of the offense. Completed 14 of 15 with 2 TDs.

The only thing I will say for Kyle Allen is he was under a good bit more pressure than Barkley (and against the 1s and 2s), and this is a very complicated offense to learn. He's had like 5 months to get it down, Barkley has had 5 years. Kyle deserves more time to get it together before we run him out of town...but yes, at this point I would definitely feel more comfortable with Barkley taking over in an emergency.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JMM said:

What a great synopsis. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No he didn’t. He went straight through the 4 hole.

But even in an alternate universe where he bounced it out, the fact that he couldn’t make one edge contain miss is also a massive problem of his.

I’m all for the speed upgrade, but if I have Singletary I just keep doing what he does well, making people miss in small spaces and happily accept his career 4.7 ypc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I’m all for the speed upgrade, but if I have Singletary I just keep doing what he does well, making people miss in small spaces and happily accept his career 4.7 ypc. 

I think that is a fair point. He is old-reliable … steady.

And his pass blocking was top notch.

But our offense really lacked playmakers, so i’m happy we upgraded in that department.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Purely a gut feeling..will have to go back and look at the stats again, but..

Thought Cook looked good..even aside from the TD hit the holes well in his limited action.

Vance more than held his own at guard.

Allen has two weeks to get in sync if he wants to be QB2

Looks like they are pretty confident in THAT rookie TE if they hardly played him

Unimpressed with starting defensive line. Weak again against the run, and only pass rush was generated by blitzing. 

See I don't think the backup line was a disaster. I think the Quarterback was a disaster.  The line looked mostly fine when Barkley was in. 

Kyle Allen was absolutely atrocious. Including holding the ball forever, staring down receivera and fidgety, skittish feet in the pocket. 

I thought there was some good from the backup linemen.... Edwards and Van Denmark in particular. I thought Ike Boettger really struggled on the 3rd unit. He doesn't look like the player he was pre ankle surgery. Equally I think Broeker had some nice moments.

Our 2nd team line was a hell of a lot better than Indy's.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.