Spencer Brown Injury Concern

vtnatefootball11

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/03/spencer-brown-buffalo-bills-training-camp-injury-nfl/

It appears Spencer Brown's back was so bad after yesterday's practice, he couldn't even bend over to pick up his helmet and had to be helped to the side. Didn't see anyone post on this yet.  This is incredibly concerning after last year.  What is the backup plan? Can Torrence play RT?? Have to believe the FO does something to address this.  Quessenberry is not going to cut it. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

4 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/03/spencer-brown-buffalo-bills-training-camp-injury-nfl/

It appears Spencer Brown's back was so bad after yesterday's, he couldn't even bend over to pick up his helmet and had to be helped to the side. Didn't see anyone post on this yet.  This is incredibly concerning after last year.  What is the backup plan? Can Torrence play RT?? Have to believe the FO does something to address this.  Quessenberry is not going to cut it. 

Torrence was strictly a guard, and even if Bates beats him out I want him focused at playing the spot he was drafted to play.  Have to hope someone decent shakes free after cuts, but hard to imagine it being anyone to get excited about

Thought here.... Whats Lee Smith up to? At this point I think were already in an emergency at the position. An elite blocking '3rd Tackle' TE is probably our best bet to try and help out whoever is over there

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Disagree 3

Torrence is a Guard and the spots aren’t interchangeable.  Bated has played Tackle and Quess of course.  The other guy from the Rams I thought had some Tackle experience.

This is concerning and most of you know I’ve been the biggest Brown apologist.  He needs to be shut down for two weeks if needed as we can’t have a repeat of last year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Torrence is a Guard and the spots aren’t interchangeable.  Bated has played Tackle and Quess of course.  The other guy from the Rams I thought had some Tackle experience.

This is concerning and most of you know I’ve been the biggest Brown apologist.  He needs to be shut down for two weeks if needed as we can’t have a repeat of last year.

Agree on being shut down until it's good, not just good enough.

That's something I don't understand about the whole best ability is available ility. Look at how great Gabe Davis has looked in camp. Why wouldn't he have sat longer with the high ankle sprain to let it heal more and allow him to be more explosive at the end of the year? They did the same thing playing him against the Chiefs in 2020 I believe and it really cost them as he should have been inactive.

Allen should have been sat down for a week or two last year too...just because you can play doesn't mean you should, give the depth a chance and let players heal as much as possible so when they come back you're getting an effective player...I don't get it.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

His training camp is likely ruined now.  Hopefully one of Shell/Quess/Gouraige can step up and not suck.

Maybe edwards or McGovern can play RT?  Doubtful.  

😢 worst case scenario in motion

Edwards played RT in college. And he did a bit in pre-season as a rookie before he got bumped inside to fill a need. No idea if the Bills would go back to that but I'd be tempted to give it a try if it were me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Edwards played RT in college. And he did a bit in pre-season as a rookie before he got bumped inside to fill a need. No idea if the Bills would go back to that but I'd be tempted to give it a try if it were me.

Thanks-  seriously, what do we have to lose.  Doesn’t seem like Edwards has much of a chance at starting inside atm.  Meanwhile we have a handful 💩 competing to protect Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm intrigued by Gouraige. He started 52 games at Florida, most at LT & a few at LG. He's viewed as a RT in the NFL, but if he started at LT for 3 years in the SEC, he must have skills that could translate to the other side, and 34" arm length meets the minimum requirement.

Not sure why he went undrafted, but he could end up a diamond in the rough.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

I think that with the addition of Kincaid, we'll see more of Knox staying in to block/chip/safety valve. They did it last you too, as the line struggled, but didn't have another TE to effectively work the route tree. 

I think we line up more in 12 personnel, but for this reason instead of both TEs going out on a route. 

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a great scenario here. Bills management was hoping for a healthy and improved Brown. That was possible but the other scenario of him getting injuried again or playing mediocre was also in play. 

Right now, the back up plan seems pretty thin. There is time to come up with another game plan. Not sure what that is? This isn't ideal as the Bills oline needs to be solid.

I hope Brown can still contribute or someone steps up. 

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This should absolutely be on the table.  He had a great season, then sucked the next lol idk what the problem was but maybe we get lucky with him (again)

I thought he played well. 

Brown has been mostly terrible since he got here, so maybe this is addition by subtraction. Bates was arguably our best performing lineman last season allowing onlya  single sack and has the size and experience to play right tackle. We also signed Brandon Shell who was a solid RT in the past. I wouldn't be sad at all to se eus move away from Brown right now.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This should absolutely be on the table.  He had a great season, then sucked the next lol idk what the problem was but maybe we get lucky with him (again)

He’s a trainer now.  He didn’t keep his weight.  He is not an option

• Angry 1

I had huge concerns for him long before this injury.  I have no faith in Doyle or Quessenberry so I guess our OL success stems from how well Shell or Bates play? Our Guards are solid and I'm not moving Torrence. But Dawkins fell off some last year and the Brown/ Q duo was bad.  Better do some RT diving after the final cuts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

Shell is RT backup.  Q is LT backup

That could change at any moment.  I

hope this is the case.

I’d like to see what Shell can do.

Aaron Kromer-  bring your A game

buddy or we could be in trouble.

• Like (+1) 3

So, we have a guy tweaking his back yesterday, and we're not sure what the status is or if it's serious at all - but suddenly, the season is compromised, it's another example of how bad Beane is w/ the OL, and we have no answer at RT.

Makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

So, we have a guy tweaking his back yesterday, and we're not sure what the status is or if it's serious at all - but suddenly, the season is compromised, it's another example of how bad Beane is w/ the OL, and we have no answer at RT.

Makes sense.

Dude who had back surgery 1.5 years ago hurts his back and can’t bend over just months after being one of the worst RTs in the league.  Our GM said that he has confidence that he’ll be better now that he’ll have a full camp and offseason under his belt this year while not being hampered by his back.  

we don’t know if he’s injured or if he just tweaked something….. 50/50.  50/50 chance he won’t have a full training camp and will be injury free.  

We’ll find out soon enough if we’re doomed by our RT situation or not.  

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Reports said Brown was “flying around in a scooter” after practice so what’s all this fuss about without even knowing if he’s actually injured or not?

I hope that it’s a bunch of fuss about nothing.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

It appears Spencer Brown's back was so bad after yesterday's practice, he couldn't even bend over to pick up his helmet and had to be helped to the side. Didn't see anyone post on this yet.  This is incredibly concerning after last year.  What is the backup plan? Can Torrence play RT?? Have to believe the FO does something to address this.  Quessenberry is not going to cut it. 

Brown was also later seen riding his e-bike or scooter to the dining hall - though I suppose a guy with a bad back can manage that

The Bills have Brandon Shell on the roster.  Shell has started 72 games at RT in the NFL

Agree on Quessenbery, didn't like what I saw in his 3 starts last year, but, he has started 26 career games, most I believe at RT

Both of these guys would be a better alternative to moving a strictly-guard OLman to RT or (for goodness sake) trying to pull Lee Smith, a TE and 6th lineman, out of retirement for a primary OL role (I know that's not your suggestion but I read it right here)

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Wasn't he seen hailing tail on a hover board towards the cafe yesterday?  

Some sort of electric device - golf scooter I think actually.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.