Hines out for the year

17islongenough

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Looks like jet ski accident. We have a jet ski and like to think we are pretty responsible.

I get so sick though of seeing other jet skiers flying around each other— super dangerous.  Seems like that’s what happened— probably a buddy of his got

too close and hit him. Ruined his career. 

Been on a jet ski twice. Both times someone else on a jet ski was acting like an idiot and hit us. Can still feel where the second one skipped off the top of my head. That guy was going extremely fast with three kids on board in an area with a lot of people swimming. I'll never forget how the kids skipped like rocks about 50 yards in different directions. Luckily I was the only one hurt with a minor concussion. I jumped off just before they hit us and tried to go underwater. Happened to fast to get lifejacket off so I popped back up just as the jet ski got hit and got hit in the head. Was told I was extremely lucky I'm not dead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2

6 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

And so it begins….

The ugly side of football. Hate injuries. 

Since this injury occurred before the season seems to me the correct phrasing should be. -- The ugly side of living, the injuries. The info provided above doesn't indicate how the injury occurred.  He could have blown out his knee number of ways.  

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Been on a jet ski twice. Both times someone else on a jet ski was acting like an idiot and hit us. Can still feel where the second one skipped off the top of my head. That guy was going extremely fast with three kids on board in an area with a lot of people swimming. I'll never forget how the kids skipped like rocks about 50 yards in different directions. Luckily I was the only one hurt with a minor concussion. I jumped off just before they hit us and tried to go underwater. Happened to fast to get lifejacket off so I popped back up just as the jet ski got hit and got hit in the head. Was told I was extremely lucky I'm not dead. 

sounds awful And traumatic and glad you survived! 

I see this all the time on the lake where we have a place. I think people think that because they are on water, it is safer. 

my SIL has a place on a lake and these two teenage brothers would go like 70 MPH, zipping in and out of other boats, and almost hit their boat. She complained to the parents and to no avail. Same brothers hit a tree going over 100 MPH in a car that same winter and died.  

• Like (+1) 1

Brutal.

I'm sorry to hear it for Hines' sake and for the Bills sake. 

Have to think this is probably the end of the line for his time in Buffalo. He'll be 27 years old next year, coming off an ACL injury, and with a $4 million base salary. 

Hard to think whoever the Bills sign to replace him (from the Kylin Hills and Abram Smiths of the world) won't be a downgrade at kick returner.

Edited by Logic

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Tough break for a really good dude. This potentially ends his Buffalo career as he's a FA after the season.

Thats what i thought. Sportrac has him signed through next season,  though with his dead cap at 500k and cap hit at 5 mil. It's likely he's done, unless we can bring that # down

Bums me out.i was fully expecting some Cook/Hines backfields and Hines just a great chess piece in general. Remember Beane or someone saying he'd have a much bigger role on O ... ****

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/nyheim-hines-25205/

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

NFL Salary Cap Changes 

A few common sense rules that should change. 1) Players on the IR should not count vs the cap. If they played a portion of the season prorate the cap it by games before going on IR. Obviously NFL will need to make sure teams dont abuse the rule. 2) Retired players should be the same as IR players. Same goes for monitoring for abuse. 

Changes I would like to see. The salary of drafted players do not have a cap, only free agents. If you draft well and run a good franchise you keep your guys. Draft crappy you will need to spend and could run into cap issues. Will have less player movement, so NFL will never go for it. 

Facts!! 

Wow..

Just chilling on a jet ski.. ****!!😡😡😡😡😡

Edited by JerseyBills

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Generally there is specific contractual language regarding risky activities. I believe that it is used as more of a deterrent than an effective way of recouping cash (and cap space) however. Not to say that teams can’t enforce those clauses if they choose.

I remember when Terrell Suggs tore his achilles playing pick up hoops. Then his story changed to “during conditioning drills”. The Ravens just ate it without a fight. It’s very bad PR to go after players for stuff that happens in every day life. If the Bills were to go after Hines for money in this case, then it would impact future contracts and FA signing. No bueno. They’re not stupid so they’ll just deal with it. But I doubt you’ll see a lot of NFL players skiing or parachuting. 

On a personal note, I was tobogganing in the Cleveland area in 2009. Alex Boone was next to me on the hill. He’d just been drafted by the 49ers and I heard him comment on what his coach would think of it. Not sure how that would’ve worked out for him if he’d gotten hurt that day. 

This, pretty much.  Diggs has posted social media stuff of him bungie jumping and skydiving.  Poyer has gone skiing.  Von Miller jet skiing.  The Bills must know Ed Oliver loves his horses and rides regularly - has posted photos of him standing on the saddle!

I think teams have that clause so if a player with a cap-bending contract does get injured doing something stupid, they can get some relief.  But riding a jetski, especially if he wasn't the one doing something reckless, is pretty much an "every day life" sort of activity for people who live or vacation on a coast or on a lake.

That said, it is a "non football injury" and I'm wondering where Sal C gets his info that the Bills eat the entire cap.  Some teams have even put players who were injured working out off-site on NFI and not paid their salary; it's not something the teams have to "go after", they simply pay them the contractually obligated amount.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Tough break for a really good dude. This potentially ends his Buffalo career as he's a FA after the season.

Hines signed a new, 2 year contract with Buffalo this off season.

He is under contract to the Bills thru 2024.

Now, if it's that significant of a knee injury it may be a distinction without a difference, as he'll have little dead cap ($500k) next season, and he may not be the same player; he struggled last season to establish himself on our offense.  The Bills may very well move on.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It appears that the Bills would suffer a $1.5M dead cap while gaining $2M in cap if they were to cut him. That's really not much of a dead cap. Now, I think they will more than likely just IR him...but being he was injured working out away from team activities may open the door for a release.

No NFL team can cut an injured player.  Not allowed, unless there's an "injury settlement" to pay him the number of weeks his injury requires to heal. 

Nor will the Bills place Hines on IR.  He'll go on "Reserve/Non-football injury".

The difference is that IR (injury while working out/practicing in team facility or in game) for a vet usually obligates the team to pay the player his full per game salary and per-game roster bonuses (but not active roster bonuses).

Under NFI, the team is only obligated to pay the player that portion of his salary that is fully guaranteed.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

A friend of mine owned a Jet Ski rental, his biggest problem was people hitting each other.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This, pretty much.  Diggs has posted social media stuff of him bungie jumping and skydiving.  Poyer has gone skiing.  Von Miller jet skiing.  The Bills must know Ed Oliver loves his horses and rides regularly - has posted photos of him standing on the saddle!

I think teams have that clause so if a player with a cap-bending contract does get injured doing something stupid, they can get some relief.  But riding a jetski, especially if he wasn't the one doing something reckless, is pretty much an "every day life" sort of activity for people who live or vacation on a coast or on a lake.

That said, it is a "non football injury" and I'm wondering where Sal C gets his info that the Bills eat the entire cap.  Some teams have even put players who were injured working out off-site on NFI and not paid their salary; it's not something the teams have to "go after", they simply pay them the contractually obligated amount.

Huge difference between investigating to see if a violation occured and not enforcing the contract when dealing with a clear violation with a resulting injury.

They have these clauses so the players think twice about doing the activity.  It's backwards thinking to think they will let Hines slide but go full out contract technical on a Josh or Diggs.  These things usually work in the opposite direction.

I agree with you and think Sal C is mistaken.  Make Hines pay and give Josh something to think about before his posse engages in things like this.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Huge difference between investigating to see if a violation occured and not enforcing the contract when dealing with a clear violation with a resulting injury.

They have these clauses so the players think twice about doing the activity.  It's backwards thinking to think they will let Hines slide but go full out contract technical on a Josh or Diggs.  These things usually work in the opposite direction.

I agree with you and think Sal C is mistaken.  Make Hines pay and give Josh something to think about before his posse engages in things like this.

Agreed. Lawyers and insurance companies know what activities to prohibit in these contracts.  Riding a jet ski might be a normal activity on vacation for the average joe but not for a football player whose playing career is on average 3-4 years.  I also find it interesting the report was that he was ‘stationary’ on the jet ski.  Clearly put out by his agent since ‘riding a jet ski’ is probably clearly prohibited by his contract.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

YIKES! When we lived in Florida I hated jet skis! Slamming along making you a little shorter with every ride. Shortly before we moved away a “professional jet skier”, whatever that is, was jumping a wake from a large boat and landed on another jet ski, killing someone. Shortly after we left, a bunch of my son’s friends were in a terrible boating accident resulting in countless surgeries, but no deaths. 

It all sounds so fun until you realize how dangerous and alcohol fueled much of this behavior is. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed. Lawyers and insurance companies know what activities to prohibit in these contracts.  Riding a jet ski might be a normal activity on vacation for the average joe but not for a football player whose playing career is on average 3-4 years.  I also find it interesting the report was that he was ‘stationary’ on the jet ski.  Clearly put out by his agent since ‘riding a jet ski’ is probably clearly prohibited by his contract.  

I bet the contract states something like "engaging in jet ski activates", since he was obviously intending to ride or had already done so. People just don't sit on a jet ski for no reason.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

No NFL team can cut an injured player.  Not allowed, unless there's an "injury settlement" to pay him the number of weeks his injury requires to heal. 

Nor will the Bills place Hines on IR.  He'll go on "Reserve/Non-football injury".

The difference is that IR (injury while working out/practicing in team facility or in game) for a vet usually obligates the team to pay the player his full per game salary and per-game roster bonuses (but not active roster bonuses).

Under NFI, the team is only obligated to pay the player that portion of his salary that is fully guaranteed.

So no team can cut a player who is injured off-season and doing non-football related, most likely prohibited, activities? And why could there be an injury settlement when the Bills were not involved? I am just asking since this seems weird.

Also, can the Bills void the contract guarantees this year since he was engaged in most likely a prohibited activity? Can they also void his accredited season this year and have him through 2025?

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I am not sure if this is really an "everyday life" sort of activity. Maybe it is. It also may not be reckless to sit on a jet ski but I would argue it is dangerous given what happened to him and other stories posted in this thread.

Edited by chongli

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tre was hurt at KC

Negative.  At New Orleans.

What Detroit, New Orleans, and the NJ Meadowlands had in common was the use of slit film astroturf.  The Bengals, Colts, and Vikings  also use it.

I believe several of these stadia have replaced it now.

It's been contentious with the NFLPA due to data of higher risk of lower extremity injuries on slit-film turf fields

Here's why:

slit-film-synthetic-turf-fiber.jpg&f=1&n

Instead of being a single filament, slit-film turf has like a netting, where cleats are more likely to snag and twist the player's leg

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nflpa-calls-immediate-replacement-ban-slit-firm-turf-fields

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/research-shows-statistically-significant-higher-risk-of-lower-extremity-injuries-on-slit-film-turf

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

I bet the contract states something like "engaging in jet ski activates", since he was obviously intending to ride or had already done so. People just don't sit on a jet ski for no reason.

So no team can cut a player who is injured off-season and doing non-football related, most likely prohibited, activities? And why could there be an injury settlement when the Bills were not involved? I am just asking since this seems weird.

Also, can the Bills void the contract guarantees this year since he was engaged in most likely a prohibited activity?

probably best not to just assume riding a jet ski is a prohibited activity. It’s not an inherently dangerous or extremely risky thing to do.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Negative.  At New Orleans.

What Detroit, New Orleans, and the NJ Meadowlands had in common was the use of slit film astroturf.  The Bengals, Colts, and Vikings  also use it.

I believe several of these stadia have replaced it now.

It's been contentious with the NFLPA due to data of higher risk of lower extremity injuries on slit-film turf fields

Here's why:

slit-film-synthetic-turf-fiber.jpg&f=1&n

Instead of being a single filament, slit-film turf has like a netting, where cleats are more likely to snag and twist the player's leg

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nflpa-calls-immediate-replacement-ban-slit-firm-turf-fields

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/research-shows-statistically-significant-higher-risk-of-lower-extremity-injuries-on-slit-film-turf

That seems like incredibly stupid design.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

So the Buffalo News from earlier today:

“The [standard NFL] contract stated those activities ‘shall include, but shall not be limited to skydiving, hang-gliding, mountain climbing, racing of any kind, use of motorcycles, use of any off-road vehicle, firearms, scuba diving and snow or water skiing.’ Those activities would find the player in "breach" of his contract.”

obviously jet skiing isn’t specifically listed, but there is a catch-all clause in there, as well as “racing of any kind” and “any off-road vehicle” (not usually used to describe personal watercraft, but still.) So if the team wanted to, I’m sure they could make some sort of case for breach. I highly doubt they will.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/in-wake-of-nyheim-hines-injury-heres-what-standard-nfl-contracts-say-about-banned-off/article_1baaff32-2a4d-11ee-9d04-23173a879dde.html#:~:text=The contract stated those activities,"breach" of his contract.

(Paywalled)

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, chongli said:

Also, can the Bills void the contract guarantees this year since he was engaged in most likely a prohibited activity?

I don't think the standard language contract mentions jet skis.  TBN did a piece on contract language already:

On Page 2 of Bills defensive tackle Ed Oliver's contract, signed last month, a paragraph bans activities that "involve a significant risk of person injury and are non-football in nature." 

The contract stated those activities "shall include, but shall not be limited to skydiving, hang-gliding, mountain climbing, racing of any kind, use of motorcycles, use of any off-road vehicle, firearms, scuba diving and snow or water skiing."

Those activities would find the player in "breach" of his contract.

So it's not like the contract explicitly states "no engaging in jet ski activities".

My point was in general, teams can't cut an injured player unless there's an injury settlement for the length of the injury.

Now in this case, Bills could certainly claim that Hines was in breach of the "significant risk of person injury and are non-football in nature" clause of his contract, and cut him.  The Broncos did that with Ja'Wan James , who filed a grievance.  James was injured while actually working out off-site.  This caused a lot of fuss, since teams usually provide off-season conditioning programs players are encouraged to follow in order to show up in peak condition.  I can't imagine it did morale in the Broncos locker room any good.

Even though he wasn't working out, Hines would certainly file a grievance, and it would be messy.  In general, rules have to be enforced equally to all employees, so if there's video of Von Miller and Dawson Knox jet-skiing about with no consequence but Hines gets his contract voided because he was sitting on a jet ski and someone ran into him, I think that's legally not good.

The relatively low-ripple thing the Bills can do is put Hines on the Non-football Injury list (since it's clearly a non-football injury) and not pay the non-guaranteed portion of his salary.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Yeah, they definitely shouldnt

That's what insurance policies are for Nyheim.........it's more than likely the contract he signed had language about dangerous off-field behavior.    Motorcycle,  atv, pwc........all the same.   

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think the standard language contract mentions jet skis.  TBN did a piece on contract language already:

So it's not like the contract explicitly states "no engaging in jet ski activities".

My point was in general, teams can't cut an injured player unless there's an injury settlement for the length of the injury.

Now in this case, Bills could certainly claim that Hines was in breach of the "significant risk of person injury and are non-football in nature" clause of his contract, and cut him.  The Broncos did that with Ja'Wan James , who filed a grievance.  James was injured while actually working out off-site.  This caused a lot of fuss, since teams usually provide off-season conditioning programs players are encouraged to follow in order to show up in peak condition.  I can't imagine it did morale in the Broncos locker room any good.

Even though he wasn't working out, Hines would certainly file a grievance, and it would be messy.  In general, rules have to be enforced equally to all employees, so if there's video of Von Miller and Dawson Knox jet-skiing about with no consequence but Hines gets his contract voided because he was sitting on a jet ski and someone ran into him, I think that's legally not good.

The relatively low-ripple thing the Bills can do is put Hines on the Non-football Injury list (since it's clearly a non-football injury) and not pay the non-guaranteed portion of his salary.

Thanks for finding this excellent link. I think "shall not be limited to" is important. If they consider riding a motorcycle to be dangerous, then so is jet skiing, I would think.

Also, regarding injuries off the field and with no relation to football. Let's say I was injured falling off a ladder at home doing normal maintenance. I am out of work for the year doing whatever job. You can bet most employers would fire me, or at least put me on non-paid leave, unless I had enough sick leave, vacation time, whatever, accrued. I knew an employee at a grocery store. He was diagnosed with cancer and started missing a lot of time due to treatment for it. The grocery store quickly fired him for not being available. You can't really blame them for that. So why can't Hines be cut (not saying I would) for something with no relation to football? That's what non-occupational disability insurance and Social Security Disability Insurance are for (the latter only for injuries lasting more than year and where you can't do *any* job in your field).

Edited by chongli

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

Thanks for finding this excellent link. I think "shall not be limited to" is important. If they consider riding a motorcycle to be dangerous, then so is jet skiing, I would think.

Also, regarding injuries off the field and with no relation to football. Let's say I was injured falling off a ladder at home doing normal maintenance. I am out of work for the year doing whatever job. You can bet most employers would fire me, or at least put me on non-paid leave, unless I had enough sick leave, vacation time, whatever, accrued. I knew an employee at a grocery store. He was diagnosed with cancer and started missing a lot of time due to treatment for it. The grocery store quickly fired him for not being available. You can't really blame them for that. So why can't Hines be cut (not saying I would) for something with no relation to football? That's what non-occupational disability insurance and Social Security Disability Insurance is for (the latter only for injuries lasting more than year and where you can't do *any* job in your field).

Oh, Jesu.  I most certainly can blame the grocery store for firing an employee who missed time due to cancer treatment.  Not paying him if he's an hourly worker and isn't working hours, icky but I get it.  Non-paid leave, likewise.  But firing an employee who misses time due to needed medical treatment is the Land of Scrooge, not what happens in a civilized nation.  Especially since for most people, medical insurance is tied to employment.

I think this is getting aside from football, so I won't continue this. 

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, Jesu.  I most certainly can blame the grocery store for firing an employee who missed time due to cancer treatment.  Not paying him if he's an hourly worker and isn't working hours, icky but I get it.  Non-paid leave, likewise.  But firing an employee who misses time due to needed medical treatment is the Land of Scrooge, not what happens in a civilized nation.  Especially since for most people, medical insurance is tied to employment.

I think this is getting aside from football, so I won't continue this. 

You can’t compare a guy who makes $3m a year playing football who injured himself a week before training camp riding a jet ski to a minimum wage worker who has cancer.  It’s probably not worth the bad press pursuing his $3m guaranteed, but if I’m the Bills I’m extremely disappointed in Hines. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Whoever released the verbiage was just trying to clearly offload fault to the other party 

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's what insurance policies are for Nyheim.........it's more than likely the contract he signed had language about dangerous off-field behavior.    Motorcycle,  atv, pwc........all the same.   

It stinks that someone who is just idol on a jetski could have money taken away for something he is not in the wrong for.  It just doesn't feel like the right thing for the Bills to do imo.  I understand what you are saying and the business side of the situation,  but it still feels wrong.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because by the time they needed to throw the ball underneath more they were:

1) Using James Cook more in that role and getting 5.7 yards per carry

2) Allen was struggling with more with short throw accuracy than long throws due to his elbow injury

The only RB in the NFL who might be as good as an actual starting slot WR running routes is McCaffrey.   And even then we aren't talking exceptional in that regard.  Otherwise these guys gotta' run the ball to warrant receiver looks.    They aren't the equivalent of slot WR's regardless of the hyperbole people want to attach to their games. 

around that time i heard a 3rd reason on Sirius XM (i think)

Because of Allen's elbow injury, and therefore his limited pitch count in practice, there werent enough reps in practice to use on getting Hardy up to speed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I am not sure if this is really an "everyday life" sort of activity. Maybe it is. It also may not be reckless to sit on a jet ski but I would argue it is dangerous given what happened to him and other stories posted in this thread.

Yeah a Jet-ski is not a canoe, @Beck Water.  :lol:

I have one that goes 70 mph with no brakes (unless you are moving at 2-3 mph).   It's permitted to go in ONE direction(left turns like NASCAR) on the body of water I am on because otherwise people would continue to run into and kill each other.     Nyheim's still happen though because people think they are just getting on an amusement park ride.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

It stinks that someone who is just idol on a jetski could have money taken away for something he is not in the wrong for.  It just doesn't feel like the right thing for the Bills to do imo.  I understand what you are saying and the business side of the situation,  but it still feels wrong.

C’mon.  He’s an idiot for even getting on a jet ski during his playing years and is lucky he doesn’t play for an organization like the Bengals, who wouldn’t hesitate to go after his guaranteed money.  

Stinks for Hines. There’s a very real possibility he never plays another game in a Bills uniform. Not just due to injury but who knows which direction the Bills go in for RB’s in 2024?  Hines could be the odd man out. But if that’s the last we see of Nyheim, that New England game last season was a thing of beauty 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.