Hines out for the year

17islongenough

59 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He was a highly paid kick returner on this team.

The contract was always dumb, I disagreed with Beane's decision to give him a pay cut instead of releasing him. But kick return isn't that important, less so now with the most recent rule change.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I would imagine sitting stationary on a jet ski is not an activity that involved significant risk.

If he got hurt in a car accident would they be trying to get money f on him?

Hopefully the Bills will not go after any of his salary. That would be a bad look.

Oh, I don’t think they would look at it that way actually being out on the ski could be considered that

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think they’re related. Depends who they sign to the roster. Kenyan Drake and Kareem Hunt available could offer more upside as Cooks immediate backup for 3rd down purposes.

Yeah, maybe not. Completely different types of backs. Room just got smaller though. Be interesting to see what they do. 

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t disagree I’m talking punt returns though… that isn’t dead…. He had 6 fumbles between 2019-2021 on about 50-60 returns… that’s pretty significant…. Plus the increase risk of injury and they need him at WR…Hopefully they find another option but yea, I am sure right now he is their first try. 

He had 143 returns over the course of 2019-2021 -- 74 punt returns and 69 kickoff returns. Just an fyi. He also fumbled 8 times over those three seasons, although it's not clear whether they came on ST plays or scrimmage plays. He had 77 touches from scrimmage between 2019-2021. So, 8 fumbles on 220 total touches from 2019-2021, which is 3.6 percent. That's very high. 

In 2022, he had 1 fumble on 11 total touches (ST and from scrimmage).  That's a 9 percent fumble rate, although the sample size is way too low.

Over the four seasons, he's fumbled at a 3.9 percent rate (9 fumbles over 231 touches). Not good.

Over the course of his career, McKenzie has fumbled 10 times on 296 total touches, which is 3.37 percent. However, if you take out his first season for Denver, in which he fumbled a ridiculous 6 times on 29 total touches (24 returns and 5 catches/runs), he has fumbled 4 times on 267 touches -- a respectable 1.4 percent rate. 

A couple of takeaways: McKenzie's propensity to fumble is greatly exaggerated if you take away that rookie season in Denver, and Harty truly is a fumbling machine.   

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I would imagine sitting stationary on a jet ski is not an activity that involved significant risk.

If he got hurt in a car accident would they be trying to get money from him?

Hopefully the Bills will not go after any of his salary. That would be a bad look.

The whole situation sounds like whoever he was with was screwing around, ended his season and potentially risked his future in the NFL.  

I don't think they will be friends much longer.

• Agree 1

I was seriously wondering whether or not he was going to make the team or possibly get traded are running back room is so full and I really didn’t want to see Latavius Murray be a scratch every week that guy can ball

Injuries suck and are never good. However, I wasn’t sure how Hines was going to get actual playing time other than special teams and with the new special teams rules, I just saw path where he might get cut or traded.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It is $1.5M more than $0

Yes, but hardly the impact that you implied in your original point. $1.5M in dead cap these days is equivalent to buying an extra can of tuna fish at the store and blaming that on the reason your grocery bill is $80 more.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills could probably go after money but I doubt it.

This is the type of stuff that happens that makes you wonder how more of this stuff doesn't happen randomly to players.

1 hour ago, Blank Stare said:

And so it begins….

The ugly side of football. Hate injuries. 

He did it off-site tho, whatever that means.  

I'm curious what he did to suffer a season-ender offsite.  

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Look at the Tweet from Tom Pelissero in the post immediately preceding yours.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Scroll up a little bit the explanation was put on there

Thanks.  I plucked that from page 2.  

Talk about freak accidents.  I wonder who the moron was that hit him.  

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah. The Bills would have a case but the question is do they do it. 

Good odds that the Bills do pursue getting it back.  

The players need to know the consequences involving risky activity.  IMO, it would be bad precedent to not go after it.  I'd be ticked off if Josh did something this stupid.

And are all you really buying the stationary bit.  If Hines was really stationary and has a case, he can use legal means to get him money from the alleged person that rammed him.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Like we’ve seen before, I assumed he had done it training and getting ready for camp. The dreaded non contact injury. But, per the previous post, apparently it was a jet ski accident. Who am I to criticize guys for enjoying the summer before camp and having a little fun like everyone else? That said, really tough to have that be the reason though. I’m sure he’s devastated. 

Edited by Blank Stare
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Harty is a dynamic return guy too, but he’s been a fumble machine and I’m not sure we want him back there returning.

I don't think he was selected as a first-team all-pro because "he's been a fumble machine" in the return game.

Looking at stats, he had 3, 3, and 2 fumbles (1 lost each season). 

What are you seeing or what have you heard beyond the stats? 

For one.. it almost started to feel like “too many options” with the Bills perhaps feeling forced to integrate Hines into the Offense. 

Now.. it’s, somewhat, defined roles. 

RB1a/Pass Catcher - James Cook

RB1b - Damien Harris

RB3/Power Back - Latavius Murray

I honestly like this RB room a lot.  Bigger, and more powerful, than the RB rooms we’ve had with Allen .. while still retaining the speed/game-breaker element in James Cook. 

Obviously losing Hines, if he were to make the team, hurts KR/PR, as he was top tier in that respect.  

Deonte Harty is just as electric, however, with a higher variance of ball security issues.   I’d suspect he now focuses on KR/PR .. which may also define passing roles a bit more, with Kincaid/Slot WR also being a bit murky. 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, T&C said:

He won't be getting game checks though.

He will be getting game checks for the $1M of his 2023 salary that is fully guaranteed.

He won't be getting game checks for his per-game roster bonus or the $1.56M of his salary that is not fully guaranteed.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone know if the Bills had interest in JD McKissic? I wonder if the Bills would ever try to sign him.

I had mentioned this possibility a few pages back.  A dirt cheap offer at this point should do it - he was released from Wash.

A dirt cheap McKissic and getting back the money from Hines, and all of a sudden this has to be one of the least expensive RB rooms in the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.