RIP Ryan Mallett

BuffaloBillyG

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's crazy...how does one drown in a swimming pool? Medical emergency??

Medical emergency, hit your head, imbibe too much, get murdered, or some combination of the above. I’m sure if we put our minds to it we could figure out a bunch of ways. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Was the swimming pool confirmed?  Every article I see doesn’t talk about how he died.  Typically, that’s an indication of suicide or drug overdose. 

But happy to be wrong 

Actually found this. Pool may have been incorrect. I lived in that area for years and can confirm the Destin beaches have a lethal rip tide.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-nfl-quarterback-ryan-mallett-dead_n_649b6ab8e4b0ea75fd3a8709

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Was the swimming pool confirmed?  Every article I see doesn’t talk about how he died.  Typically, that’s an indication of suicide or drug overdose. 

But happy to be wrong 

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2023/jun/27/ryan-mallett-dead-at-35/

BREAKING: Ryan Mallett, former Razorback and NFL quarterback, dead at 35

by Tom Murphy | Today at 6:47 p.m.

Former University of Arkansas and NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett has died.

Mallett, 35, had been on vacation in Florida and was involved in a swimming accident in the Gulf of Mexico, according to sources with knowledge of the incident. His passing on Tuesday was confirmed by Gary Williams, superintendent of the White Hall School District, where Mallett served as head football coach in 2022.

Swimming accident in the Gulf of Mexico can be many things.  Rip tide would be one.

Sounds as though swimming pool may be incorrect.  Which is not to say that intoxicants might not be involved, but no need to go straight there.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Actually found this. Pool may have been incorrect. I lived in that area for years and can confirm the Destin beaches have a lethal rip tide.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-nfl-quarterback-ryan-mallett-dead_n_649b6ab8e4b0ea75fd3a8709

If that's the case, I feel really bad for the guy.  Always, always swim parallel to the shore until you can break yourself loose.  Never fight the current.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Swimming accident in the Gulf of Mexico can be many things.  Rip tide would be one.

Sounds as though swimming pool may be incorrect.  Which is not to say that intoxicants might not be involved, but no need to go straight there.

I live on the gulf coast, some don't take the flags seriously on the beach. 

My wife's friend died recently trying to save his wife/daughter when they went out under red flag conditions. 

It happens without intoxicants. Not saying I know what happened with Mallet.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

If that's the case, I feel really bad for the guy.  Always, always swim parallel to the shore until you can break yourself loose.  Never fight the current.

Yup. Not everyone realizes that. Panic creeps in and instinct directs you to point to land. Destin Florida has some beautiful beaches. However they also boast one of the strongest rip tides and (at least when I was there a decade ago) a strong shark presence within 8 feet of the shore line. We did one of those tourist plane rides over the water and were absolutely shocked how many large dark silhouettes were close to shore. Never swam in that water again after that.

• Like (+1) 2

Seven people have died near panama city swimming in the Gulf in the past couple of days. Lethal Rip Tide. In all but one of the instances. double red flag warnings were posted, and swimming was not legal.  I don't know where Ryan Mallet was swimming (reports are in the Gulf) and I feel bad for all of those that drowned from the Rip tides. Everyone please follow the flags. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Wow, way too young. RIP. I loved the way he looked first way down field, always attacking deep, thought he could become what 17 is. 

Except he had drew Bledsoe feet made of cement blocks

13 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

That is of course is taught and is best thing to give one the best chance to survive, but could still not work sometimes

RIP

1) always teach your kids to swim as early as possible. $400 for an infant swimming class is worth it

2) continue with swim lessons every year until they're solid

3) send them to a lifesaving course by their teenage years. A weekend course can teach a lot.

4) always teach them about currents.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, boyst said:

RIP

1) always teach your kids to swim as early as possible. $400 for an infant swimming class is worth it

2) continue with swim lessons every year until they're solid

3) send them to a lifesaving course by their teenage years. A weekend course can teach a lot.

4) always teach them about currents.  

All of that is correct, but when you get swept up in a rip current like we are having this year none of that matters. Only defense is to not be in it honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Seven people have died near panama city swimming in the Gulf in the past couple of days. Lethal Rip Tide. In all but one of the instances. double red flag warnings were posted, and swimming was not legal.  I don't know where Ryan Mallet was swimming (reports are in the Gulf) and I feel bad for all of those that drowned from the Rip tides. Everyone please follow the flags. 

There was actually a report on the weather channel on this just the other day.  The rip tide in that area is bad, and swimmers are getting caught in it and it’s also putting lifeguards at risk.  

Just a nightmare.  RIP

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

All of that is correct, but when you get swept up in a rip current like we are having this year none of that matters. Only defense is to not be in it honestly. 

Wife and I were at Oak Island NC,  this weekend . We couldn’t go past out our knees Saturday as it was brutal. 
    As usual, there were a couple people , literally, out past the breakers. 

Just now, Big Blitz said:

There was actually a report on the weather channel on this just the other day.  The rip tide in that area is bad, and swimmers are getting caught in it and it’s also putting lifeguards at risk.  

Just a nightmare.  RIP

Self inflicted wounds hurt as much as other wounds.  My sympathies are the same.  At the same time it upsets me when people engage in activity that puts other people at risk, in this case the lifeguards, in other cases all sorts of first responders.   So many problems in the world would be avoided if people would actually think.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I was one to jump to intoxicants as the culprit but seeing this - there have been a number of incidents on the coast this week. Folks ignoring the warnings. Quite a few deaths in the headlines. Could still have other factors but sobriety wouldn’t be abnormal here either 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.