Highmark Stadium ranked 29th

BobbyC81

Found this ranking of NFL stadiums on Facebook.  I guess that’s why they’re building a new one.

29. Highmark Stadium - Buffalo Bills

The stadium opened its doors on August 17, 1973

Capacity: 71,600
Things haven’t been exactly smooth for the Buffalo Bills over the past couple of decades. Even so, their loyal Bills Mafia still were in attendance regardless of how incredibly obsolete their home turf is, and it eventually paid off. Now, they get to watch one of the best teams in the league.

The Highmark Stadium — previously known as New Era Field — seems to be stuck in time, since they haven’t done any upgrades on the place in years. God knows their fans deserve better but hey, at least they have plenty of reasons to be excited about with Josh Allen under center.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Facebook entry highlights meaningless superficial factors?

Let me guess, the #1 stadium features a sushi bar, cappuccino delivered right to your heated seat with a built in screen where you can take a selfie and post it to Facebook…..and a crappy football team that no one in the stands actually gives a crap about.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Rich Stadium and all its other names delivers an honest, old fashioned experience.  It's how ALL stadiums used to be.  Now, if your stadium isn't a virtual shopping mall and condo complex all in one, it's regarded as "dated."

My only complaint with it over the years is that there was no public area to go to to warm up at halftime on a cold day.   

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Rich Stadium and all its other names delivers an honest, old fashioned experience.  It's how ALL stadiums used to be.  Now, if your stadium isn't a virtual shopping mall and condo complex all in one, it's regarded as "dated."

My only complaint with it over the years is that there was no public area to go to to warm up at halftime on a cold day.   

Ralph has the best site lines in the NFL

That’s all I want in the new stadium… Sightlines baby

And I will take a indoor heated area where you can warm up lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Exactly. Highmark, etc is a place to watch football, not a place to hang at the oxygen bar while getting a pedi. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Found this ranking of NFL stadiums on Facebook.  I guess that’s why they’re building a new one.

29. Highmark Stadium - Buffalo Bills

The stadium opened its doors on August 17, 1973

Capacity: 71,600
Things haven’t been exactly smooth for the Buffalo Bills over the past couple of decades. Even so, their loyal Bills Mafia still were in attendance regardless of how incredibly obsolete their home turf is, and it eventually paid off. Now, they get to watch one of the best teams in the league.

The Highmark Stadium — previously known as New Era Field — seems to be stuck in time, since they haven’t done any upgrades on the place in years. God knows their fans deserve better but hey, at least they have plenty of reasons to be excited about with Josh Allen under center.

This isn’t a surprise.  Anyone who’s been there knows that it is an older stadium which badly needed to be replaced.  

I will say that while Highmark is one of the worst stadiums in terms of an actual structure, the game day atmosphere is really good.  It was superior to Meadowlands, Cleveland, Foxboro or Miami Gardens.  I’ve heard KC has a similar feel

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ralph has the best site lines in the NFL

That’s all I want in the new stadium… Sightlines baby

And I will take a indoor heated area where you can warm up lol

And easy access to urinate in something other than a……..I don’t even want to type that. 

But yeah, the sight lines are amazing from everywhere! 

Edited by Augie

This shouldn't be a shock to anybody and there is a reason we are getting a new stadium....I love our gameday atmosphere and tailgating etc. but that stadium is OUTDATED.  I have been to about 10 other NFL stadiums and it really shows when you actually experience other ones.  I could care less about the new state of the art stadiums that have built in shopping malls but it was time for a fresh stadium here.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This x1000.  

If your looking for social lounges, bars, super comfy seats, bathroom attendants, 100 varieties of international cuisine.. then it isn't for you.

If you want a throwback to how it used to be, and by all accounts when it was better, it is a top 3 stadium.  

I have said it before.  I have friends from Boston who take a bus to the game here every season because it is such a great experience and they hate Gillette 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Agreed... but there's other stuff unrelated to "fluff" that's wrong with Highmark.  Namely that the stadium is structurally deficient.  The "trough"-style urinals are about 40 years past their prime.  I'm fairly certain it is one of the only NFL stadiums that retains bleacher-style seating.  "Dated" is exactly the right term.

The sightlines are great, as is the atmosphere... but it's time for a new one.  It doesn't have to be fancy or have over-the-top amenities.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If FedEx isn’t last, the list is wrong 

I work with a Washington STH who says their agent gets so many complaints of pipe leaks and shoddy masonry that they took away that option the drop down box on the complaint tab of the website. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Don't worry, the new stadium skipped the soap dispensers to save on costs.

They only need to cut a few more frivolous luxuries to be able to put a roof on the bathrooms.

Are you saying that the bathroom concierge guy with the warm towels, breath wash and the little peppermint candies is getting cut? I’m not sure if I can accept that! 

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Agreed... but there's other stuff unrelated to "fluff" that's wrong with Highmark.  Namely that the stadium is structurally deficient.  The "trough"-style urinals are about 40 years past their prime.  I'm fairly certain it is one of the only NFL stadiums that retains bleacher-style seating.  "Dated" is exactly the right term.

The sightlines are great, as is the atmosphere... but it's time for a new one.  It doesn't have to be fancy or have over-the-top amenities.

The bleachers are easy to clear snow off of.  Still, aluminum bleachers just seems to make it feel colder.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This x1000.  

If your looking for social lounges, bars, super comfy seats, bathroom attendants, 100 varieties of international cuisine.. then it isn't for you.

If you want a throwback to how it used to be, and by all accounts when it was better, it is a top 3 stadium.  

I have said it before.  I have friends from Boston who take a bus to the game here every season because it is such a great experience and they hate Gillette 

I wonder how many restaurants and bars the new stadium will have. I am sure there will be some, but Buffalo is known for its tailgating experience. Besides who wants to pay 20 bucks for a beer inside the stadium. I would expect more bathrooms, wider concourses and giants TV screens in the concourse areas as well as around the stadium showing the redzone channel so fans can keep updated on the scores of all the games. At least that is what MetLife does.

15 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This x1000.  

Hey, I'd take more comfy seats. That would nice.

To me, a stadium is good when it has good food options, decently comfortable seats, and a great view of the field.

As much as most of you hate the new stadiums with the social lounges and all the other amenities, its how you draw the younger generation. Most don't go to the stadium just for the game anymore. If you want just the game they can do that for free at home. It's about the stadium experience now. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

As much as most of you hate the new stadiums with the social lounges and all the other amenities, its how you draw the younger generation. Most don't go to the stadium just for the game anymore. If you want just the game they can do that for free at home. It's about the stadium experience now. 

nah.  that's just what you want.  you mentioned that you were more interested in bringing a very young child, (4 or 5) to the game, so you were more concerned about doing other things other than watching the game.  the game was a secondary experience for you.  that's it.  you don't seem to realize that just because you may want something, it doesn't mean the majority of others do.  remember when you thought light beer was going to be discontinued because you didn't drink it.

the new game day experience is going to be expensive.  anyone who buys a ticket just to hang out in a restaurant is just an #######. people are there for an improved game experience.  it's not a day care.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

nah.  that's just what you want.  you mentioned that you were more interested in bringing a very young child, (4 or 5) to the game, so you were more concerned about doing other things other than watching the game.  the game was a secondary experience for you.  that's it.  you don't seem to realize that just because you may want something, it doesn't mean the majority of others do.  remember when you thought light beer was going to be discontinued because you didn't drink it.

the new game day experience is going to be expensive.  anyone who buys a ticket just to hang out in a restaurant is just an #######. people are there for an improved game experience.  it's not a day care.

Wait, wait, wait....

Light beer was going to be discontinued??

It's growing and rising more than ever.  Pretty soon, you're going to have zero calorie/zero carb beer.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

Yes I do want that. It's not just about that. Stadiums across all sports are going that way. There is a reason they are doing it. It's what the casual fans want.  If what you are saying is true than why are majority of stadiums adding these social amenities? 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yes I do want that. It's not just about that. Stadiums across all sports are going that way. There is a reason they are doing it. It's what the casual fans want.  If what you are saying is true than why are majority of stadiums adding these social amenities? 

because it's part of an upgrade, but not the purpose.  fans want a better game day experience.  better sight lines, better scoreboard, now with ff info.  better bathrooms, better concessions, more covered areas etc.  it's about improving the viewing game experience, and some of that will include extras like a restaurant.  bills fans are there to watch football.  to tailgate with other fans, and take part in the energy.  do you really think people want to potentially spend thousands and not care about the game?  

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wait, wait, wait....

Light beer was going to be discontinued??

It's growing and rising more than ever.  Pretty soon, you're going to have zero calorie/zero carb beer.

oh yeah.  he doesn't like it, (which i understand) but since he doesn't like it, he assumes everyone else doesn't and that no one buys it.  we had to post the rankings of beer sales in the states, on which light beers led the list.

1 minute ago, teef said:

because it's part of an upgrade, but not the purpose.  fans want a better game day experience.  better sight lines, better scoreboard, now with ff info.  better bathrooms, better concessions, more covered areas etc.  it's about improving the viewing game experience, and some of that will include extras like a restaurant.  bills fans are there to watch football.  to tailgate with other fans, and take part in the energy.  do you really think people want to potentially spend thousands and not care about the game?  

I never said they don't care about the game. The disconnect is most are looking at it solely from a Bills fan perspective. Again there is a reason that majority of stadiums are adding these social areas and amenities. It's what draws a lot of casual fans. I get it, it's not a draw for the majority of people on this board. I will ask again, why do you think stadiums are adding all these social areas?

I don't understand their thinking in 1973 nor 2023.  Access in and out of that stadium sucks donkeys!  The game day experience should not include three hours getting out of the parking lot and getting home at 4AM from a night game.  I agree with others.  I could also do without getting hosed down with errant urine by drunk guy at the men's room trough.  Disgusting.

Sincerely,

Get Off My Lawn

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I never said they don't care about the game. The disconnect is most are looking at it solely from a Bills fan perspective. Again there is a reason that majority of stadiums are adding these social areas and amenities. It's what draws a lot of casual fans. I get it, it's not a draw for the majority of people on this board. I will ask again, why do you think stadiums are adding all these social areas?

We’ll, what specifically are they adding that you know the new stadium won’t have?

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Hey, I'd take more comfy seats. That would nice.

To me, a stadium is good when it has good food options, decently comfortable seats, and a great view of the field.

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

I wonder how many restaurants and bars the new stadium will have. I am sure there will be some, but Buffalo is known for its tailgating experience. Besides who wants to pay 20 bucks for a beer inside the stadium. I would expect more bathrooms, wider concourses and giants TV screens in the concourse areas as well as around the stadium showing the redzone channel so fans can keep updated on the scores of all the games. At least that is what MetLife does.

Im thinking that the culmination of surveys, studies, and general common sense will lead to a fairly football-game-centric experience.  I do think we will see quite a bit more amenities and comfort, especially with the business-class, but in general, it will be built around 60,000 people wanting to be involved in a football game.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.