McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’ll be gone after 2025 season if they don’t get to SB by then IMO…. Maybe 2024 season depending on how deep they get. 

This is true. The extension doesn’t preclude Pegula from firing McD at any time. The extension is a show of faith that serves to show Pegula has his back no matter what the media might report otherwise. But if Pegula can up and fire him at any time anyway, then why all the consternation from so many posters? Because he hasn’t fired him already? I’m sorry, but you just don’t fire coaches coming off 13-3 seasons with career .640 winning percentages. 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’ll be gone after 2025 season if they don’t get to SB by then IMO…. Maybe 2024 season depending on how deep they get

Edited by K-9
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

If you are going to say that only a Super Bowl victory defines success

That is the simple reality of the NFL.

There is only one goal - To win a Super Bowl.

Equating a team's success to a string of regular-season victories, even though they consistently falter during the playoffs, is similar to commending a team for perpetually failing to achieve the NFL's singular, paramount objective.

6 hours ago, MWK said:

Was obviously going to happen, no matter what people say. Hopefully the heat is on and they'll be gone if we don't win a super bowl in the next 2-3 years. McDermott mostly deserves it. Beane should be thanking Josh because without him, his draft record is terrible. 

Of course it was obviously going to happen. Would be dumb not to. Josh should be thankful to Beane he picked him before Arizona. Beane drafted him and should get credit He turned a loser of a franchise around. It’s one thing for the lynch mob to be vocal, but at least make some sense. 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Equating a team's success to a string of regular-season victories, even though they consistently falter during the playoffs, is similar to commending a team for perpetually failing to achieve the NFL's singular, paramount objective.

6993efeae0ad22ff7fbb876525838f9a7305fe70

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not convince McDermott can get us that elusive championship. But I'd rather be gnawing at the heels of one, rather than take a chance with a new HC and likely other coaching changes. It could be very risky, depending on the coach. I don't like the possibility that the floor could drop out. And it's not just the coach, it's Allen and the rest of the team. They would have to get comfortable with new plays and a scheme.

Whenever I think of this topic, I think of the Steelers with Bill Cowher. He went a long time before finally getting a Super Bowl. I remember a lot of fans wanting his head on a platter. Granted, much of that was during the "Slash" years, but the team stuck it out and he got his QB and a SB.  

I'm doubtful I'll ever see a Super Bowl. I have some stats that have me thinking this way. But I'm will to stick it out. Just don't like the risky alternative. 

1 minute ago, Fleezoid said:

coaching changes. It could be very risky, depending on the coach. I don't like the possibility that the floor could drop out. 

This is where I fundamentally disagree.

I do not agree that there is a large amount of risk in moving on to a different coach. 

With Josh Allen, we could make the playoffs with Rex Ryan as our coach.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Right. Every team sucks except KC and we should just commiserate with the the Texans, Bears, and Cardinals. Got it. 

A more myopic take on success doesn’t exist. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is where I fundamentally disagree.

I do not agree that there is a large amount of risk in moving on to a different coach. 

With Josh Allen, we could make the playoffs with Rex Ryan as our coach.

Well then the problem would still remain for many posters that they hired a defensive minded coach.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Again .. your premise that “nobody is forced to celebrate” has been disproved plenty of times on the OT board. 

Id respect your post much more if you didn’t resort to calling people “homophobic” when you know nothing about them.  

A growing number of people who have always advocated for gay rights (such as myself) wish people like you would chill out with the name calling and bizarre aggression to those who pushback against a movement that is more about BlackRock and Vanguard than it is gay rights. 

If you truly cared about the community, you’d restrain from flying off the handle anytime someone invokes anything that tangentially involves them. 

LGBTQ acceptance has dropped precipitously in recent years.  It’s not because people have become less tolerant.  It’s because people are sick of forced compliance and people, such as yourself, that can’t help but go 0-100 in regards to name calling. 

I brought it up because we’re on a month where we focus so heavily on one subset of peoples identity and/or beliefs. 

McDermott being a Christian is fundamental to who he is.   The poster i responded to had a problem with that being highlighted.   My question to that person is why?   

Then here you come with the name calling and aggression that too often accompanies this discussion nowadays.   To the detriment of the community you claim to care about. 

There was no part of this that was 0-100, we've talked about this before, as you yourself have stated. I didn't bring it up in the football section, you did. I saw it and called it out. You think that movement is more about Blackrock and Vanguard, so that's what you want everyone else to think too. For so many it's simply being happy that they can be gay or whatever they are and still be able to be part of society and not be vilified or that they can now get married. It wasn't that long ago that they weren't able to do that. It's not like we're 100 years removed or even decades removed from all of that. 

You can find abuse and corruption with literally any movement, institution, religion, political party, etc. Lumping in an entire "movement" with that faction is what's wrong and a standard to which you don't hold for everyone, especially if they are on your political side. 

I won't even dig, I'll just ask you straight up...if someone looked into your posting history, are they going to see a balanced history of discussing the corruption of many different groups of people all across the spectrum or is it going to look much more agenda-based and targeted at specific groups that just happen to be more associated with the other side of the political spectrum than you? Just an honest question for you. 

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Right. Every team sucks except KC and we should just commiserate with the the Texans, Bears, and Cardinals. Got it. 

No one said every team but the Super Bowl victor "sucks". 

What was said is that success is measured by the goal you are aiming for.

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

A more myopic take on success doesn’t exist. 

Sure, when you turn posts into strawmen.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

"When you get there, it is a total crap shoot and all about matchups, player execution, and good health as to which teams ultimately win the SB."

Partly true but definelty doesn't tell the whole story. 

Coaching, play calling, schemes, game time adjustments, etc.. all factor in as well. 

I'd ask you to take a hard look at the McD playoff games track record for his tenure as a Bill's HC. 

I mean, look at guys like Cowher and Andy Reid too. Those guys were awful in playoff games for years. Reid was probably one of the worst game-day coaches I had seen At one point in time.

Haven’t the Steelers pretty much given us all the blue print on success? Establishing a culture, Continuity of success, and building and promoting from within. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Reid was probably one of the worst game-day coaches I had seen At one point in time.

And yet he still went to 3 AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl in his first 7 seasons during that point in time you mention.

If Reid could accomplish that while being one of the worst game-day coaches you have ever seen ... how poorly does that reflect on McDermott?

• Eyeroll 1

No one said every team but the Super Bowl victor "sucks". 

What was said is that success is measured by the goal you are aiming for.

Sure, when you turn posts into strawmen.

Every team’s goal is to win the SB and every team except KC fell short of the goal they were “aiming for.” So according to  your myopic take, no other teams were successful. 

No straw man at all. Just carrying your logic to its natural conclusion.

Just now, K-9 said:

Every team’s goal is to win the SB and every team except KC fell short of the goal they were “aiming for.” So according to  your myopic take, no other teams were successful. 

No straw man at all. Just carrying your logic to its natural conclusion.

If you can’t get a 1,600 on your SAT’s there’s no point in getting out of bed that morning. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Correct.

And that is NOT the same thing as saying "every team but KC sucks".

Only the Chiefs were successful in reaching their goal. No other team received the Lombardi trophy. No other team added to their rings. No other team was sucessful in reaching their goal.

That is not myopic - its factual.

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Coach and GM aside I find it interesting that so many fans can't enjoy a team that wins so many games. I've criticized the team in areas I think we may have them overrated but in spite of that they've won a lot of games lately. Are some fans of championships more than fans of football..... Just asking?

That's kinda how sports works. If fans were just content to win 51% of their games every year, life would be pretty boring.  It always has and always will be about the "Chip". But alas we live in a world now where it's all about participation trophies and "just entertain me".  

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you can’t get a 1,600 on your SAT’s there’s no point in getting out of bed that morning. 

My boss is very sharp, and very cool.  I’ve come find out that he did score 1600 on his SATs.  No wonder he is so sharp 

7 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

They deserve it.

It really is this simple.  Sure I B word about their decisions like the best of Bills fans but the reality is that this is the 2nd best Bills organization in the last 56 years. 

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

No team in NFL history has ever started the same QB under the same head coach for more than 5 seasons and win their first Super Bowl after that 5th season. 2023 will be Sean McDermott and Josh Allen’s 6th season together.

How big of a sample size are we dealing with here?

McDermott is not a great coach. But there are about 5 coaches in the last 2 decades I would put under that category.

He is a GOOD coach. That really isn't disputable.  He & Beane together came in when we were in the throes of the longest drought in the NFL, and turned us into a TOP CONTENDER.

I never expected us to win at KC in '20 - especially with 4 of our top 5 receivers playing hurt.  13 seconds was poor coaching - for 13 seconds.  Last year, this team was just drained.  I don't see how anyone can judge anything against that Cincy game.

Fans in Philly couldn't wait to run Reid out of town, and now HE is considered the best. McDermott is a good coach, and he'll get this team to the promised land. I have no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

My boss is very sharp, and very cool.  I’ve come find out that he did score 1600 on his SATs.  No wonder he is so sharp 

I hope it wasn’t one of the first things you learned about him…..like so many of the people who ever attended Harvard. 

This is great news. And anybody that doesn't understand that, doesn't understand a good football organization,  and hasn't witnessed what a poor organization the Bills were for the majority of their existence. Other than the Polian/Marv years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JMM said:

This is great news. And anybody that doesn't understand that, doesn't understand a good football organization,  and hasn't witnessed what a poor organization the Bills were for the majority of their existence. Other than the Polian/Marv years.

and we must never let the pursuit of a Super Bowl get in the way of the ultimate goal of not being a poor organization

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Sorry forgot racism does not exist. There is no scenario in the world that could have Pegula along with McD/Beane taking exception with a player questioning them. There could be no mindset of we are in charge not them. No worries about losing the players and needing to send a message that McD/Beane are here to stay, if your not on board then find a new home. Race could or could not play a part. But it happens all the time in the world. I have seen many times that you reward your own as a message to others. It could be blatant and purposeful, or just an unconscious way of operating. Heck why is the NFL still needing to create incentives to hire black coaches? Why do many black players still say they are treated differently? May not be the case here, but saying it does not exist is naive. 

I mean, c'mon now... "Terry Pegula extended McDermott's, and Beane's contracts to send a message to the uppity blacks on the team" is maybe the most bizarre, steaming hot take I've ever read on this site.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It really is this simple.  Sure I B word about their decisions like the best of Bills fans but the reality is that this is the 2nd best Bills organization in the last 56 years. 

How big of a sample size are we dealing with here?

56 years worth.  But I think what you are asking is how many times has there actually been a HC and starting QB together 5 years or more and didn't win it.

Andy Ried and Donovan McNabb

Dan Reeves and John Elway

Sam Wyche and Boomer Esiason

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly

Mike Smith and Matt Ryan

Ron Rivera and Cam Newton

Andy Ried and Alex Smith

Jeff Fisher and McNair

Don Shula and Dan Marino

Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton

Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck

Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer

Of the 31 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 27 of them won their first championship within the first five seasons with that team. Only Chuck Noll (six years in Pittsburgh), John Madden (eight years in Oakland), Tom Landry (12 years in Dallas), Bill Cowher (14 years in Pittsburgh) and Andy Ried (7 years in KC) needed more than five years to capture that elusive first ring.

Only 4 coaches and QB tandems got their fist SB win exactly 5 years in

John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco

Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning

Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre

Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw

48 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

There was no part of this that was 0-100, we've talked about this before, as you yourself have stated. I didn't bring it up in the football section, you did. I saw it and called it out. You think that movement is more about Blackrock and Vanguard, so that's what you want everyone else to think too. For so many it's simply being happy that they can be gay or whatever they are and still be able to be part of society and not be vilified or that they can now get married. It wasn't that long ago that they weren't able to do that. It's not like we're 100 years removed or even decades removed from all of that. 

You can find abuse and corruption with literally any movement, institution, religion, political party, etc. Lumping in an entire "movement" with that faction is what's wrong and a standard to which you don't hold for everyone, especially if they are on your political side. 

I won't even dig, I'll just ask you straight up...if someone looked into your posting history, are they going to see a balanced history of discussing the corruption of many different groups of people all across the spectrum or is it going to look much more agenda-based and targeted at specific groups that just happen to be more associated with the other side of the political spectrum than you? Just an honest question for you. 

You would see, on this topic, my belief is for gay marriage equality, along with adoption rights .. extended to equality for all members of the LGBTQ community at an adult age.

You’d see pushback on making this a state religion and pushing this ideology onto children.  

I say this as someone who pushes back against it both because of personal beliefs AND because I’ve seen how far the movement has come .. only to rapidly lose public support due to the constant pushing of the activist class and cultural realignment envisioned by capital investment firms. 

It’s very easy to have zero nuance on this subject and characterize those with valid concerns as “homophobic”. 

Much tougher to have real discussion about what the movement has become, where it’s going and why it’s now beginning to hurt those it initially aimed to help. 

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

56 years worth.  But I think what you are asking is how many times has there actually been a HC and starting QB together 5 years or more and didn't win it.

Andy Ried and Donovan McNabb

Dan Reeves and John Elway

Sam Wyche and Boomer Esiason

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly

Mike Smith and Matt Ryan

Ron Rivera and Cam Newton

Andy Ried and Alex Smith

Jeff Fisher and McNair

Don Shula and Dan Marino

Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton

Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck

Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer

Of the 31 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 27 of them won their first championship within the first five seasons with that team. Only Chuck Noll (six years in Pittsburgh), John Madden (eight years in Oakland), Tom Landry (12 years in Dallas), Bill Cowher (14 years in Pittsburgh) and Andy Ried (7 years in KC) needed more than five years to capture that elusive first ring.

Only 4 coaches and QB tandems got their fist SB win exactly 5 years in

John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco

Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning

Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre

Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw

It's a cool stat but I really just consider this upcoming season Allen's 4th year of being an elite QB.  Even if the Bills win it this season and people are bragging about how this stat was meaningless I'd push back and say it is meaningful because Allen was an incredibly unique QB in terms of rawness going into the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.