McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Like McD in 2017 & 2019, Belichick got in on an easy schedule with 8 of his wins coming from non-playoff teams and 7 of them coming from mostly the worst teams all with losing records.  As with any coach, I'm not going to hand out particularly credit for capitalizing on an easy schedule, the "you can only play who's on the schedule" rap aside.  That's true, but it does not alter things one iota.  He got obliterated in those playoffs too, which says more than beating 8 easy teams en route to 10 wins.  

Anyway, no interest in debating McD v. BB, or even BB otherwise.  The fact stands, that in 10 other seasons without Brady, Belichick's track record as a head coach wouldn't have gotten him anything else other than another DC job.  Meanwhile, Brady went on to win another SB with a relatively average on a good day head coach, while leading the Bucs to a 32-18 record otherwise, something that that franchise has never achieved in its entire existence.  

Again, not really the point.  

The question remains, is the talent on this team being optimized?  

it'd be a great poll question.  Go ahead and pose it.  

They were 13-3??? That's optimal!

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you think the Pegulas and the rest of the organization don’t have that expectation as well? Should they just fire a coach with the third best record over the last five years and expect the new coach to immediately win it all? An initial regression is more likely. You and others think McBeane can’t get us there and that’s understandable, but Pegula choosing to reward them for establishing a winning tradition after years of misery is also every bit as understandable.  

It's not that difficult to establish a winning tradition when you have a quarterback who will literally do anything in his physical power to win football games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

You should really keep your constant homophobic crying and whining and victimhood about LGBTQ and Pride in the Politics section. Nobody's forcing you to be gay or celebrate anything. 

I have a LOT of issues with Christianity and the Church and how a lot of that community operates...but I have no problem with Pegula or McD himself celebrating themselves being Christian. That's their right, just like it is someone who is gay and wants to celebrate the freedom to do so and have simple things like marriage available to them that they didn't for the longest time.

I'm not being forced to be Christian or celebrate Christianity just because they are, just like you aren't being forced to be gay or celebrate gayness. I have the option to not read or seek more information out about Sean's Christian beliefs, you have the option to do the same about anyone else. 

If McDermott is happier because of his Christianity or Saleh is because of his Muslim-(ness?) and if they want to talk about it and create prayer circles before and after games in front of everyone, I don't think it matters what I think of any of it, rock on. Same if someone wants to wear a Pride patch. It could literally be this simple if everyone was willing to do that. 

The slightest pushback and this is your response..

I could counter and debunk quite a few things you said here, but it will all be deleted soon, as it likely should.   Examples have been provided ad nauseum on the OT board. 

This is why people like YOU are responsible for LGBTQ acceptance dropping in this country.

“Everyone who disagrees with what Pride has become in the slightest is homophobic”

Not me.  Love and let live.. I have no issues with anyone being who they want to be at an adult age.

I grew up marching in Pride for my uncle who was cared for by his husband on his death bed for two years as he fought cancer. 

You have to grow thicker skin and/or learn a new pushback.

The point remains.  If McDermott was gay, it would be highlighted.  Saleh being Muslim was highlighted.  So why the issue from the person I responded to for McDermott being highlighted for beliefs core to his being?

Edited by SCBills

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think forward progress is all I’m looking for. 

As Allen has gotten more experienced, and gotten more/better weapons at his disposal, my expectation was - at the very least - additional AFCCG appearances. 

The Bills have been going in the other direction. 

Speaking only for myself, this is what concerns me. 

I think that while your expectations have merit and are sensible, it's also worth nothing the the AFC is absolutely stacked with top teams. Running the gauntlet against the top (KC & Cinci) is challenging enough. The toss in teams that can be dangerous in a 1 game setting (Baltimore, Jax, Miami, possibly even the Jets and Chargers) and it becomes a taller task.

For me I don't quantify by how far they make it, rather than what they look like getting there. 13 seconds was tough to take...but even in the loss it felt like the team took that step forward. Last year was IMO a huge step back based on level of play.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You mean when we thought a backup TE from Washington (Robert Royal) was going to be a difference maker here? Or that getting an injured Shawne Merriman was a solution to finding a pass rusher?

That, and getting ignored by blue chippers who laughed at the notion of signing here. Good times.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Excuse me? Leave your f***ing racist remarks somewhere else you giant sack of horse manure.

I was born in Buffalo and lived here most of my 45+ years. My father is from Turkey. And yes, he did it the right way, with a green card and is now a naturalized citizen if you need to know before you start trying to hunt him down for being an illegal and call ICE, I thought I'd save you the trouble.

Don't worry, you're not the only one that uses it as an excuse 

18 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

No team in NFL history has ever started the same QB under the same head coach for more than 5 seasons and win their first Super Bowl after that 5th season. 2023 will be Sean McDermott and Josh Allen’s 6th season together.

No team in NFL history ever won a Super Bowl on their home field....then it happened two years in a row.  Trends and patterns eventually stop.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Thrilled we locked up Beane.

Not thrilled about McDermott, but the two seem tethered together ... so I'll take that package deal all day.

It's also nice to put all of the hot seat speculation to bed. Let's go win the damn thing.

Beane has a much more up and down record than McDermott 

his job is saved by drafting Allen …. He didn’t draft the cornerstones of Dawkins , Milano , and Tre white … 2  all pros and a pro bowler … that was McDermott 

who also took us to the playoffs with a bottom 3 roster 

4 hours ago, DapperCam said:

So much for the posters privately wishing McDermott is on the hot seat.

These guys should be forever grateful to Josh Allen, he’s earned them a lot of dough.

Assuming the Bills fall short of their SB goals. You have to wonder if at some point Allen starts to get frustrated with the regime.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know nothing about hockey, but I would say before you can declare him having struck gold they at least need to make the playoffs. I get it the Sabres looked like they were heading in the right direction, but before you can even begin to put those two in the conversation with McD and Beane they need some success beyond just stop the team being a perennial laughing stock. 

Well I do know hockey, and no one laughs at the Sabres now. Player development in hockey is different than the NFL. You often draft prospects who are years away from contributing. But not only are the Sabres loaded with budding stars, their pipeline is full as well. And now they have the second coming of goalie Ryan Miller in Devon Levi? Playoffs are coming soon.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's not that difficult to establish a winning tradition when you have a quarterback who will literally do anything in his physical power to win football games

Yeah, great QBs are part and parcel to great coaching success. The vast majority of league history bears that out and it will never change. 

So fire McDermott, hire a new coach and staff and, VOILA! Instant SB champs immediately? I fully understand questioning McD as there is legitimate reason to do so, but I also realize ANY new staff that comes in will experience a regression. And the same fans that wanted McD gone will go even more ape sh*t than they do now.

I just want to know why our D “ain’t the Ravens.”

If the Bengals thought that…..I guess that’s why Frazier ain’t here.  

With all the cap and assets used on that side of the ball (last years skeleton crew D actually proves you shouldn’t do that) we should be as feared as the Ravens.   Not just feast on the Mike Whites of the league.  

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well I do know hockey, and no one laughs at the Sabres now. Player development in hockey is different than the NFL. You often draft prospects who are years away from contributing. But not only are the Sabres loaded with budding stars, their pipeline is full as well. And now they have the second coming of goalie Ryan Miller in Devon Levi? Playoffs are coming soon.

That's all good. But you can't crown them yet.

25 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

No team in NFL history has ever started the same QB under the same head coach for more than 5 seasons and win their first Super Bowl after that 5th season. 2023 will be Sean McDermott and Josh Allen’s 6th season together.

Zerovoltz and zero influence on anything the Bills will so. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. And the likelihood is the rope is a fair bit longer. Part of the reason why is surely that Terry knows he isn't great at these appointments. For all that McD and Beane ain't perfect and there are legit holes you can pick in both, they are overwhelmingly the two best hires that Pegs has made across multiple attempts for two franchises. 

Change doesn't always mean progress, but the status quo isn't always the best result either. It is merely the most convenient.

Harsha Bhogle

I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.

Niccolo Machiavelli

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think unpopular, it's ignorant and not even the size of an atom as far as possibilities.  

Cole Beasley is white and stirred the pot.  Unless you don't think Beasley is white because he raps.

And they put up with his bs AND brought him back even though he was toast

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

This thread is a ***** show

Here is my conspiracy theory:

Someone at OBD has been reading these boards and remembered we extended McBeane several months ago and thought, oh yes lets put an official announcement, grab some popcorn and watch the nonsense

Probably pretty close to the truth. The deals for both of them have been done. Yeah they decided to announce them now, probably because it’s June and nothing else is going on.

• Like (+1) 1

Timing is strange to me. After 13 seconds, last year's playoff collapse, and McDermott's handling of the Diggs situation, I thought this year would have been allowed to play out first. True, it does not mean change cannot be made-- just see the timing as strange.

Many question whether McDermott is the one to lead the Bills to that ever-elusive SB win-- or if he's taken them as far as he can.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Amazing how you can under perform in the playoffs year after year, and get rewarded for it.

I guess management is similar to many fans, and they are simply content not being the old Bills that were never a threat to even make the playoffs

It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.

Gerry Adams

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.