McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

It makes sense to keep them under contract, McD is not going anywhere for the next 2 seasons and likely next 3. Unless the failures in the playoffs are completely catastrophic he is the coach for the next three seasons and at least the next two. Pegula is not shy about spending money so if he has to eat 2-3 years on those deals he likely will.

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here. Been there done that with respect. 

No offense….. but that’s really the only thing that I can recall you doing.  Beating a dead horse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

With respect, I think your mindset is flawed. " unnamed, hypothetical new staff." 

So many incorrect assumptions here. You act like the ownership is going to play pin the tail on the donkey and choose their coaching staff. 

There are several solid options available. 

Sure okay - name some.

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here. Been there done that with respect. 

Dead horse? We have had one exchange on the idea that a new staff would immediately improve and win a SB. But ok. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It makes sense to keep them under contract, McD is not going anywhere for the next 2 seasons and likely next 3. Unless the failures in the playoffs are completely catastrophic he is the coach for the next three seasons and at least the next two. Pegula is not shy about spending money so if he has to eat 2-3 years on those deals he likely will.

But the failures in the playoffs have been catastrophic… Absolute blow out in the AFCC followed up by a head scratching 13 seconds loss to the Chiefs again the following season… Now the addition of a no show against the Bengals… 

Personally would have liked to see the extensions next year if the results are different. At least for McDermott. 

Just now, BBFL said:

But the failures in the playoffs have been catastrophic… Absolute blow out in the AFCC followed up by a head scratching 13 seconds loss to the Chiefs again the following season… Now the addition of a no show against the Bengals… 

Personally would have liked to see the extensions next year if the results are different. At least for McDermott. 

13 seconds is the only catastrophic failure in my opinion. 2020 the Bills were simply banged up at WR and not used to the playoffs. I can write that off. The Bengals were simply better and the Bills who had the season from hell were exhausted so I don't count that as catastrophic given the circumstances. McD will get put on the hot seat if playoff failures mount but just not yet in my opinion. 

Luckily there are no salary caps for coaches. So much like the Rex deal Pegula can just eat the deals and move on. Better to have a good coach and GM locked in and have to eat money than risk losing them on expiring deals.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

His first few drafts started solid and then it may have tapered in 20 and 21

epensesa while not a total bust hasn’t lived up..moss was jag… Fromm sucks…Hodgins did nothing here 

21- boogie hasn’t done much…brown has potential but done not much … Doyle non existent… Stevenson nope, wildegoose nope

He does seem to find solid defensive backs late

I'm dying at pointing to 6th and 7th Round picks not finding a spot on a stacked roster as justification that his Drafts suck.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm dying at pointing to 6th and 7th Round picks not finding a spot on a stacked roster as justification that his Drafts suck.

Ummm basham and AJ were 7th rounders? Zack moss? Fromm? He spent a fourth round pick on a quarterback whos not back up level

brown? His résumé in the second and third round is not that inspiring

He’s definitely not terrible…he’s solid…  But if it’s Beane or McDermott I’m taking McDermott

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For me I don't quantify by how far they make it, rather than what they look like getting there. 13 seconds was tough to take...but even in the loss it felt like the team took that step forward. Last year was IMO a huge step back based on level of play.

I can get behind this sort of analysis except for the bolded...last season the team dealt with unprecedented challenges and still went 14-4.  We just remember that last game and think they stunk all year.  Remember how they shot out of the gate?  Every team has up-and-down moments in a season...and this year will be no different.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

They deserve it. Last year was an abberation. Just freaky bad luck. I personally think we had a great off-season, especially with the cap situation. I'm excited to see what the year brings.

Why not acknowledge the fact the cap situation is of their own creation? It’s not like Beane is dealing w dead cap from a former GM, this mess is his. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ummm basham and AJ were 7th rounders? Zack moss? Fromm? He spent a fourth round pick on a quarterback whos not back up level

brown? His résumé in the second and third round is not that inspiring

He’s definitely not terrible…he’s solid…  But if it’s Beane or McDermott I’m taking McDermott

Agreed.

• Like (+1) 1

Great news even though there are those stuck in the drought that would rather have the Bills go back to their old ways of changing coaches every 2 or 3 seasons only to keep them irrelevant .

I'm glad that the Pegs can see that they have a very good pair to keep the Bills relevant for years to come !! GO BILLS !! 

43 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This right here is your grift. I didn’t bring up LGBTQ, neither did the person you responded to. YOU did! And then you’re acting like people “like me” are somehow imposing this on you when you have a serious obsession with this topic. You’re not being “forced” to celebrate anything. 

I don’t have an issue with anything being highlighted for anyone if that’s what’s important to them. I don’t bring up the very worst of Christians and Christianity to demonize McD or Pegula for being proud of being Christians. We literally have Federal holidays and public celebrations for these religions, why aren’t you whining about that? You think those institutions are perfect?

People knock on my door and sing Christian songs at me during Christmas. I have every right to shut the door in their face if I don’t want to hear it. I don’t even though I have many issues with their religion and beliefs, but I don’t see that as me being forced to celebrate it. You and many others have made yourselves out to be such victims over this. 

I’m defending Sean here even though I can’t stand him as a coach and I don’t like his religion. That’s what a consistent stance is all about. 

Again .. your premise that “nobody is forced to celebrate” has been disproved plenty of times on the OT board. 

Id respect your post much more if you didn’t resort to calling people “homophobic” when you know nothing about them.  

A growing number of people who have always advocated for gay rights (such as myself) wish people like you would chill out with the name calling and bizarre aggression to those who pushback against a movement that is more about BlackRock and Vanguard than it is gay rights. 

If you truly cared about the community, you’d restrain from flying off the handle anytime someone invokes anything that tangentially involves them. 

LGBTQ acceptance has dropped precipitously in recent years.  It’s not because people have become less tolerant.  It’s because people are sick of forced compliance and people, such as yourself, that can’t help but go 0-100 in regards to name calling. 

I brought it up because we’re on a month where we focus so heavily on one subset of peoples identity and/or beliefs. 

McDermott being a Christian is fundamental to who he is.   The poster i responded to had a problem with that being highlighted.   My question to that person is why?   

Then here you come with the name calling and aggression that too often accompanies this discussion nowadays.   To the detriment of the community you claim to care about. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.