Eat Crow: Your most embarrassing Bills opinions

Mikie2times

14 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I definitely stayed on the Trent Edwards bandwagon for too long.

That little stretch before he took the big hit by the Cardinals Safety and became Trentative Edwards showed more promise than anything we'd seen in years.

Often wonder how much that concussion effected him in any other way or was it just on the football field. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Often wonder how much that concussion effected him in any other way or was it just on the football field. 

If memory serves, he had a good game after the concussion but then just fell off.  Maybe a combination of self doubt and having Dick Jauron as his coach just killed the guy's mental state (if he even had a good mental makeup at all)?  You never know.

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I know I'm not alone with this one, but I was one of those that bought into the "Robert Foster will be WR1 next year". Also, "Foster has great foot work and speed and could be a top WR".

That one was way off lol

Foster is a good one. I don't know if they've been mentioned yet in this thread but what about PS heroes Duke Williams and Gibran Hamdan ? There was so much hype on here about those guys over the years.

For me it was probably JP Losman. I spent years thinking he was the guy and just needed better coaching / O Line. 

And of courses the 2018 draft I wanted:

1a) Baker Mayfield

1b) Sam Darnold

3) Josh Rosen

4) Josh Allen

N/A) Lamar Jackson - I never even considered that we would draft him as a QB so didn't have him in my rankings. 

I could not have been more wrong on that QB class

• Haha (+1) 1

I actually said out loud, to a table of co-workers if the Bills took Josh Allen I’d stop being a fan of the team. 

I wanted Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, in that order. If we didn’t get any of those I still didn’t want Allen. 

I will say I came around fairly early into his rookie year though. 

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Foster is a good one. I don't know if they've been mentioned yet in this thread but what about PS heroes Duke Williams and Gibran Hamdan ? There was so much hype on here about those guys over the years.

For me it was probably JP Losman. I spent years thinking he was the guy and just needed better coaching / O Line. 

1a) Baker Mayfield

1b) Sam Darnold

3) Josh Rosen

4) Josh Allen

N/A) Lamar Jackson - I never even considered that we would draft him as a QB so didn't have him in my rankings. 

We had the same first three of that class. Which if I remember correctly wasn’t common, as a lot of people were saying Darnold was the complete package and Mayfield was too small and had an attitude problem. 

was disappointed when I heard we drafted Josh Allen as all the analysis and pre-draft pundits had him as erratic, not proven against top competition, etc

Same feeling towards last years 3rd round pick (Bernard) and signing Ed Jordan to the big contract despite mediocre stats

In McBeane we trust beotches...

I did hit a homer when Stevie (WR) was not franchised cuz I said he would have dropped the tag, which got a reply from his agent on twitter... 

32 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1a) Baker Mayfield

1b) Sam Darnold

3) Josh Rosen

4) Josh Allen

I don't recall much hype regarding Hamdan if any at all. As for Duke Williams it was a few that were a bit too high on him and felt he was better than he actually was. I guess it's not much difference with those reactions between he and Foster. 

Rob Johnson was going to be the man - well worth what we gave Jacksonville for him

Willis McGahee was going to be a game changer at RB

Should have drafted Blaine Gabbert

Tom Donahoe was going to bring grea6ness to the organization

John McCargo was worth moving up for in the draft

Josh Allen was going to be a bust - great measurables who can't be coached to actually be good

Edited by The Avenger

49 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh Allen is terrible and the Bills should draft Rosen.

Far and away my worst take ever. Without reading the thread, I bet this is the most popular one

I know there were rather many here that shared those same feelings at that time. I was one of those who didn't have much of a problem with it. I was in the Baker crowd unfortunately (not as bad as Rosen at least).

But when the pick ended up Allen I was fine with it since he had the arm strength and his size, so I thought he would have a chance to be good for Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Maybe, one day if @BADOLBILZ ever has his first bad take he'll be able to participate in this thread!

My worst take ever I've shared here many times.   It was that the Bills didn't need to worry about scouting or maybe even trading back into round 1 for Aaron Rodgers because they already had a good prospect to develop in JP Losman.    Didn't seem like a big take at the time, and Rodgers had plenty of doubters but my take on the matter was just lazy.  Rodgers is a top 10 all-time kinda' passer.   But I didn't spend any real time evaluating him and mostly just lumped him in as just another Jeff Tedford product.  

I don't have many bad takes because I don't weigh in on that many topics.   It's easy to make statements about everything you have a first impression about but I don't do that.   If I have a strong opinion on it........it's probably because I have seen things that make that point pretty definitive.

I've told @GunnerBill many times that if he wants to be right more he needs to adopt that philosophy and say a lot less about peripheral topics.........but he's about where I was as a fan in the late 90's where I was following everything in both college and pro football all the time.  Totally engaged in it.  I still follow it very closely and more than a lot of people who consider themselves experts......but definitely not the same.   Example being the salary cap.   I don't bother knowing everyone's cap figures for the next 3 years because I feel the cap is a lot more malleable now.    There are just topics that I have come to realize where the juice isn't worth the squeeze.       

• Like (+1) 2

i really thought trent edwards would be the solution for our qb woes after that first drive against the pats.  i was very, very wrong.  i also didn't want josh allen, but i feel like that's 95% of most bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've told @GunnerBill many times that if he wants to be right more he needs to adopt that philosophy and say a lot less about peripheral topics.........but he's about where I was as a fan in the late 90's where I was following everything in both college and pro football all the time.  Totally engaged in it.  I still follow it very closely and more than a lot of people who consider themselves experts......but definitely not the same.   Example being the salary cap.   I don't bother knowing everyone's cap figures for the next 3 years because I feel the cap is a lot more malleable now.    There are just topics that I have come to realize where the juice isn't worth the squeeze.       

I also don't really care that much about being right all the time. I care about being right at work where my career depends on making good decisions and giving good advice. This is a hobby. The fun is in the journey not in the destination. I think I do get a fair amount right but of course I get some things wrong. I don't shy away from them when I do.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, teef said:

i really thought trent edwards would be the solution for our qb woes after that first drive against the pats.  i was very, very wrong.  i also didn't want josh allen, but i feel like that's 95% of most bills fans.

Many believe the (AZ game I think) when Edwards got his head rocked was the reason for his downfall. Although I believed it was more to it than that myself. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Many believe the (AZ game I think) when Edwards got his head rocked was the reason for his downfall. Although I believed it was more to it than that myself. 

Another myth 

Trents best career game was the game back after the concussion

He was a limited quarterback got exposed

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I believe that he was solid against the Chargers, but maybe after all these years my memories have faded?

Still, it was all downhill from there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Another myth 

Agree, one of those that start off good first part of season and got figured out fairly quickly

10 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

I believe that he was solid against the Chargers, but maybe after all these years my memories have faded?

Still, it was all downhill from there.

Yeah, I'm not implying the concussion didn't factor at all, just that it was more to it 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

That's funny. I felt the same way when trent came in for that Patriots game. 

Not my take, but I remember someone in my family was super excited when we got Matt Cassell. Thought he would get us to the playoffs. Talked about him like we just got Tom Brady. 

When the Bills signed Hughes and Dareus I was glad we signed Dareus and thought Hughes ripped us off. 

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I still think EJ needed more time and could have been above average.

I agree with this, his best 3 games were his first 3. Marrone ruined him completely. He never was gonna be Josh good but could have been an effective pro.

• Disagree 1

I didn't think Josh was ever going to be great. Clearly I was wrong about him. He still needs to greatly reduce the turnovers and learn to cradle the ball when he runs, but other than that, he checks all the boxes. I hope he can start winning SB's too.

9 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

was disappointed when I heard we drafted Josh Allen as all the analysis and pre-draft pundits had him as erratic, not proven against top competition, etc

Same feeling towards last years 3rd round pick (Bernard) and signing Ed Jordan to the big contract despite mediocre stats

In McBeane we trust beotches...

I did hit a homer when Stevie (WR) was not franchised cuz I said he would have dropped the tag, which got a reply from his agent on twitter... 

Who is Ed Jordan?

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Another myth 

Both could be true. He definitely played well the next week. But from what we now know about concussions maybe playing so quickly is what hurt him in the long run. That said he was never that good and it probably would have taken Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice in their prime to make him succeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.