Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I have no idea if that is the disconnect, but I agree that it is absolutely unacceptable how Diggs acted after that playoff game.

And then to follow it up with deleting all the Bills stuff from social media.

And then skip OTA’s.

And then leave mandatory camp?

We are watching a downward spiral in real time.

Do you think it's also unacceptable how the Cincinnati game went? That even after it became clear what we were doing Offensively wasn't working, that the coaches and Josh refused to change anything and just let the trouncing continue and snowball?

I think looking at it in a vacuum and just saying Stefon was wrong and blaming it all on him is the wrong way of looking at it. He could have handled it better. But in my opinion, the team could have handled both what led up to it better and could be handling this better now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Allen should have deferred the entire thing to McD who should be speaking on behalf of the team.  

This thing has turned into a major national soap opera and barring some unforeseeable simple explanation for which it would be a miracle if that were the case right now, this bodes terribly for the season, for McD, for Diggs, for Beane, pretty much everything.  If it doesn't get resolved soon then it will be just one more thing that the Bills have to try to live down.  

My question is why TF didn't they address this in the what, 5 months 'til now, rather than having it weigh-in on the first mandatory day of practice.  

Maybe Diggs has tried and McBeane and crew have blown him off. Told him we can deal with this stuff later, get some rest and enjoy some time away. We all need a recharge and some time away. Another indication to Stef that this team is soft and not all in. 

16 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Today’s Diggs news is just a confirmation of his entire offseason attitude. He’s been acting like a self-centered diva who has a me first attitude. He was throwing a fit on the sideline of the Cincinnati game.   He’s quietly and not so quietly continued to throw a fit ever since. Diggs hasn’t made positive comments on any new free agent signees or draft picks, he does make cryptic drama quotes, etc.  I think the only positive Bills related comments were about former Bill, Cole Beasley.  He retweeted McKenzie, Edmunds & Tyrod Taylor, but no current Bills.  

BTW, Vikings fans are laughing. They saw the same Diggs there that we’ve seen since January.  

Josh Allen is again having to take the high road and clean up a PR mess Diggs created. It’s been happening since the playoffs.  Allen’s been a great friend and defender of Diggs. I’m hoping Diggs will eventually return the favor, but I’m not holding my breath. 

I keep coming back to the idea that there’s more to the story.  Going back to November, there’s a poster here who said something to the effect that Allen received some unwelcome news during the bye.  Then we get kind of an absent Allen against the Jets and Vikings, the Dorsey growing pains, and we end up sleepwalking through the post-Damar part of the season.  Then, of course, we have the flatline Cinci loss, the Diggs outburst, and the resultant rumors about certain goings on at the Allen homestead involving law enforcement.  

I can’t help but wonder if the Diggs sideline reaction against Cinci was a culmination of frustration with 13 seconds, Daboll leaving, Allen’s head in a different planet mid-season, and then the distraction before the Cinci game.   Maybe Diggs has a point about the need for focus. And maybe he’s right.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I keep coming back to the idea that there’s more to the story.  Going back to November, there’s a poster here who said something to the effect that Allen received done unwelcome news during the bye.  Then we get kind of an absent Allen against the Jets and Vikings, and we end up sleepwalking through the post-Damar part of the season.  Then, of course, we have the flatline Cinci loss, the Diggs outburst, and the resultant rumors about certain goings on at the Allen homestead involving law enforcement.  

I can’t help but wonder if the Diggs sideline reaction against Cinci was a culmination of frustration with 13 seconds, Daboll leaving, Allen’s head in a different planet mid-season, and then the distraction before the Cinci game.   Maybe Diggs has a point about the need for focus. And maybe he’s right.  

nothing about what Diggs is doing suggests he's concerned w the team focusing is the issue tho

this is like the opposite of focus

12 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Then he gets the HC gig at NY and turns a perennial losing team into a winner and leads them to the playoffs. An incredible accomplishment. 

One day we'll get a coach that can turn around a perennial loser and can make the playoffs with them in his first year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, major said:

This will be fun: Diggs in a “where’s Waldo” type of season

Just another "explanation" of why the Bills won't make a SB appearence.

Beane and McD had no idea their WR#1 would let them down. 

We all can enjoy the up coming season and realize the SB hopes are basically gone. 

There's always next year with McD and Beane. It wasn't their fault at all. Fair enough explanation for us fans. 

Agree or disagree? 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK your post on this are just starting to get ***** bizarre

People want to talk to Josh Allen and not necessarily for the diggs thing. What is it gonna do call Josh Allen back from the press that would look even worse

People are laying all the blame on Diggs in this thread. I'm just saying that McD made matters worse.  Allen could have done the same thing I suppose and just said it's internal and only take questions about the practice. But he didn't.  McD sideswiped the questions.  RIght or wrong from a PR standpoint, I don't know.  Just felt like Allen was left out there to answer for himself, the coaching staff and the organization.  That's fair as he is a franchise QB but it's McD's job first and foremost.  

I'm usually critical of the Buffalo media, but kudos to them for asking follow-up questions to Josh.  They were probing but respectful of his relationship with Diggs.  Yes it is just OTA's but let's be honest its a big story.  It may not be in the end a big deal but it's a big story that was brewing ever since that sideline argument.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I feel so bad for Josh after watching that press conference... what kind of person put their friend and teammate in that position. Pretty selfish. Josh was just at mercy of media and seemed to handle it the best he could but the answers were so vague and caused a lot of confusion 

I get what you are trying to say.  But let me tell you something brother, I'd take a few 100K out of the bank and wipe my tears with those bills if I made that much money.  Josh is a big boy and will be fine.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Gotta be coaching, imo.

I think he's still upset that Dorsey & McD refused to get him the ball when the team needed a spark the most. Feels like he's sending a message of "If you dont think I'm that important to our success, look at what you have on the field without me". And again, this isnt about him getting touches as much as not being relied on or called upon when the team could use his contribution the most.

I'm just guessing but there really cant be much else.

could very well be this ^.   same thing happened in Minnesota.   he got tired of the offense and Kirk and wanted out.  now Josh is definitely not Cousins,  but theres something here clearly.  whether its personal between Diggs and Josh,  or its an offensive thing,  who knows.    need to get this figured out before the season starts.

McD and Beane are concerned.  so that tells me that they dont really know whats upsetting Diggs.   that tells me its a personal issue between Diggs and Josh,  that the two of them need to work out.   Coach and GM cant do much about that.

Edited by bigduke6

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You can like Brian Dabul, and still understand the fact that he has not yet done enough in the NFL to warrant ***** canning our current staff and replace them with him. He took a team and got them to the playoffs. Congrats to him and he’s a good coach but our team has been doing that for years.

Also, falling short in the playoffs for years. 

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

People are laying all the blame on Diggs in this thread. I'm just saying that McD made matters worse.  Allen could have done the same thing I suppose and just said it's internal and only take questions about the practice. But he didn't.  McD sideswiped the questions.  RIght or wrong from a PR standpoint, I don't know.  Just felt like Allen was left out there to answer for himself, the coaching staff and the organization.  That's fair as he is a franchise QB but it's McD's job first and foremost.  

I'm usually critical of the Buffalo media, but kudos to them for asking follow-up questions to Josh.  They were probing but respectful of his relationship with Diggs.  Yes it is just OTA's but let's be honest its a big story.  It may not be in the end a big deal but it's a big story that was brewing ever since that sideline argument.  

And it was Diggs who put Josh in that position. Not McDermott. If he had turned up at mandatory's then the questions wouldn't have been asked.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

Silver lining to today ... for those of us old enough to remember ...

Everyone remember what happened "after" the Bickering Bills? ... 4 straight

Does that mean we have to lose to the Browns this year before going back to the SuperBowl?  I don't think I could handle that again.  

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

It's only a soap opera for weirdos like us. This is a headline-only story for a couple days in June to most football fans. 

Fair. And answering questions from the media is part of the job. Why fans would feel bad for any of these players or coaches is bizarre. This is all just the nature of the biz.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

One day we'll get a coach that can turn around a perennial loser and can make the playoffs with them in his first year

Yeah, I hear ya. We didn't to the playoffs for 17 years, while they have 2 Super Bowl wins in the last 15 years. Pretty equal situations if you ask me 😜.

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I keep coming back to the idea that there’s more to the story.  Going back to November, there’s a poster here who said something to the effect that Allen received some unwelcome news during the bye.  Then we get kind of an absent Allen against the Jets and Vikings, the Dorsey growing pains, and we end up sleepwalking through the post-Damar part of the season.  Then, of course, we have the flatline Cinci loss, the Diggs outburst, and the resultant rumors about certain goings on at the Allen homestead involving law enforcement.  

I think it's pretty simple. Diggs wants to win. The Bills aren't winning enough. Diggs is unhappy. Diggs doesn't think the Bills can we a SB with Dorsey and or McD. So Diggs is voicing his displeasure. Diggs is going to be a problem...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Airseven said:

McDermott was the right coach to repair the locker room and national perception. He’s a good man who crafted a respected competitor. But he’s not a tactician and comes up short in alarming fashion against elite teams when it counts. He has served his purpose. I hope Pegula accepts this before Allen turns 30.

Changing coaches every 2/3 years is what caused the drought for both the Bills and Sabres. I'll take my chances sticking with McBeane.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

It's only a soap opera for weirdos like us. This is a headline-only story for a couple days in June to most football fans. 

Not if it drags on it won't be. The Madden curse is already starting 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

this tweet tells me him showing up was strictly contractual, since the agent is all about McDermott's statement making it seem diggs didn't report

How this is being handled it could get very ugly very fast 

His agent is keeping him from getting fined.  The bigger issue is why isn't he participating if he passed his physical.  Point blank Diggs was the only guy not involved.  As a head coach having one of you top guys holding in would be concerning. 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Diggs showed up and left.  Keeping it behind closed doors wasn't an option anymore.  Saying he was would have been a lie. 

No one knew that he showed up and left until diggs' agent said he was there.

So how is omitting the truth not the same as lying?

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Changing coaches every 2/3 years is what caused the drought for both the Bills and Sabres. I'll take my chances sticking with McBeane.

Be careful what you ask for. I think the writing is on the wall. I highly doubt McD can lead this team to a SB appearence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Not if it drags on it won't be. The Madden curse is already starting 

Only one thing we can do....

7p995l.gif

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Be careful what you ask for. I think the writing is on the wall. I highly doubt McD can lead this team to a SB appearence. 

Way to go out on a limb. So if the Bills can't win a Super Bowl you're right. Of course you can't explain HOW to get there, but you're a whiz at knowing when it ain't happening. I can guarantee how to never win a Super Bowl...giving up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What unwelcome news?

2 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Would have been nice if this had been vetted and worked out in the months between the end of the season and the start of mini camp.

Yeah, it's a bit of a puzzle what's going on.  Just various breadcrumbs being dropped:

It sounds as though there was communication between Diggs/his agent and the Bills, and whatever the issue was, Bakari thought there was agreement, at least in principle - but evidently McDermott did not

If McDermott was somehow trying to hold a line or send a message, Josh didn't seem to get the memo:

Edited by Beck Water

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

On the other side you have a player who hasnt spoken or been in the building since January.  Wanting answers and wanting changes.  Where was this for the the last 6 months.  Whatever Diggs and the team are working through shoukd have been here working through it.  Mcdermott is backing his coaches publicly.  Diggs didn't attend practice. The media would have known this as well. Only person who can speak about his feelings and intentions is Diggs.  

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Payton and Reich were  upgrades or at the very least a needed change. Creative offensive minded coaches that the Bills lack. 

Payton won once with a Hall Of Fame QB then nothing. Reich?

Geez. He’s not a 1 and done playoff coach. He wins playoff games. There literally no argument to fire him. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This is classic TBD… translation: “I hate this news, mods can you please shut this threat down so I don’t have to see it.”

59 pages of posters expressing concern and you had to pick one of the very few posts that want the discussion squelched?

And then your "the WR group sucks" schtick in thread after thread. 

You really are something else 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Only one thing we can do....

7p995l.gif

Way to go out on a limb. So if the Bills can't win a Super Bowl you're right. Of course you can't explain HOW to get there, but you're a whiz at knowing when it ain't happening. I can guarantee how to never win a Super Bowl...giving up.

It's not about going out on a limb. I can careless if I'm wrong or right. Often, I want to be wrong because of my pessimism. I've been plenty wrong here and have no qualms about admitting it. 

As a fan, I don't get paid to figure out how a team gets there. That's beyond my pay grade. I will say when a team lands their franchise QB their chances to get to the SB go up dramatically. I will say having a strong Oline is another important piece. 

As a fan, I can absolutely be critical of why I think the team has fallen short. Imho, coaching is an issue. I've watched McD basically get outcoached, out schemed, out manuerved, and out prepared the last two seasons of playoff appearences. I don't need to see more. Perhaps that's too judgmental. Too quick of a judgement. I get that. I have no problems with others disagreeing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.