For Consideration The Next 3 Days…

OldTimer1960

The draft debate has been very fun for the past several months.  I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions.

Tonight the Bills make their first pick (or not!).  The pick will make some happy and some will be apoplectic that who they picked is clearly inferior to another player/isn’t a player at a premium position/has an average RAS score, etc…

Whatever your view, let’s remember that:

1. We are not privy to any player’s medical evaluation.  This is very important.

2. We don’t have an opportunity to evaluate a player by interviewing him, his coaches, teammates, etc.

3. We don’t have a sense for the work ethic of most prospects 

4. It is hard for us to evaluate any players aptitude to learn

5. Most of us can’t tell how a player fits the Bills’ current scheme and none of us know what scheme changes they are considering.

5. It is very hard for us to know what room any prospect has to improve strength/skills (are they maxed out or just need NFL strength training?)

All of the above are very important considerations when evaluating any player.

Looking forward to the excitement and debates!

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The draft debate has been very fun for the past several months.  I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions.

Tonight the Bills make their first pick (or not!).  The pick will make some happy and some will be apoplectic that who they picked is clearly inferior to another player/isn’t a player at a premium position/has an average RAS score, etc…

1. We are not privy to any player’s medical evaluation.  This is very important.

2. We don’t have an opportunity to evaluate a player by interviewing him, his coaches, teammates, etc.

5. Most of us can’t tell how a player fits the Bills’ current scheme and none of us know what scheme changes they are considering.

5. It is very hard for us to know what room any prospect has to improve strength/skills (are they maxed out or just need NFL strength training?)

@ OldTimer1960, thank you for your effort to minimize the typical ridiculous fallout from this ‘faithful’ by injecting sober realism.

Sadly, I don’t believe it will have any positive impact..

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

@ OldTimer1960, thank you for your effort to minimize the typical ridiculous fallout from this ‘faithful’ by injecting sober realism.

Sadly, I don’t will will have any positive impact..

I think the operative word here is "sober"

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And yet, many posters have done a better job picking players than the Bills have over the last 20 years.

If the Bills just went by the national player rankings the last 20 years, we likely have a better team for much of that time.

You really think so?  

26 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

All this is true, 

Yet, a very noisy contingent here will lose what little control of their minds that they have and rant nonstop with their disapproval throughout the entire  up coming season and beyond. Yes it will be senseless and it will offer virtually zero benefits, yet they will not stop. These are people who know little of the differences between “critique” and “nonstop whining”, it’s gonna be so pathetic.  I already have a seasons worth of popcorn at the ready 🍿 lol 😂 

37 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This is all true.

Yet we just let Edmunds walk, and we're about to let Oliver walk.  Elam rode the bench most of last year, Cook barely saw the field, Basham is at best a rotational guy, Epenesa is a JAG, etc.  At some point, I think fans can reasonably start second-guessing some of these picks.  It's not as if the FO is consistently nailing them or anything.  Since Beane got here, he's had one really good selection in the first two rounds, and that's starting to look like a lucky fluke.  (Edit: If Beane had drafted Tre, I'd count that as a good pick too.) 

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, you tried.  I’ll give you credit for that. 😋

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It's also difficult to say whether Beane & Co. have done their homework as such given their drafts.  

Since it's their evaluations that will matter, hopefully they'll do a significantly better job than they have to date.  

22 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You really think so?  

Honestly, how much worse can put day 1 & 2 picks have gone short of outright busts.  Not an impact player among them.  

• Eyeroll 1

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Office Questions GIF

Forever one of my favorite office lines

15 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Can someone just tell me if we should have drafted Josh Rosen??

At the time I would've told you unequivocally yes.. whoops

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Spot on…But your one mistake was taking the time to write it and posting it here on TSW cuz the inbound rage from a certain collection of posters is inevitable 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Spot on…But your one mistake was taking the time to write it and posting it here on TSW cuz the inbound rage from a certain collection of posters is inevitable 😂

I think some posters will still rage even if they like the picks.  It will be preemptive rage if the player isn't an all-star after year 1, therefore, a bust.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

To add to that, we also dont know if:

1. if their mother is a prostitute.

2 if they like men

3. if they would change the size of their *****

4. they believe in mermaids or dinosaurs

5. if they find their mothers attractive

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-combine-controversial-questions/dwblwnglywtunjqplhpbutkx

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I've found that the best strategy for dealing with NFL draft is watching almost no college football and knowing nothing about the players other than where fans think they will be selected.  That way when the picks are wildly different than fan mocks you can immediately hate the selection.  But heres the secret..  you then spend the next 5 days reading all the fluff pieces about these guys and their high motors and slowly the anger melts away and you convince yourself that Beane actually selected 7 future all stars on the sly and fleeced the whole league.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

let’s also remember that we all are bills fans.

”I love you man!”

………..even when we disagree, which is always possible……..

Disclaimer:  I may get cranky.  Don’t mind me….

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You really think so?  

Yes. 

For example, here are Mel Kipers Bills pick for the past 10 years, and who the Bills actually took (in parenthesis).

2013: Jonathon Cooper (EJ Manuel)

2014: Taylor Lewan (Sammy Watkins)

2015: No pick

2016: Emmanuel Ogbah (Shaq Lawson)

2017: Haason Reddick (Tre White)

2018: Tremaine Edmunds, Lamar Jackson (Tremaine Edmunds, Josh Allen)

2019: Jonah Williams (Ed Oliver)

2020: No pick (Diggs)

2021: Tyson Campbell (Groot)

2022: Kaiir Elam (Elam)

Outside of Lamar Jackson over Josh Allen, is there any real difference here between an amateur mock drafter and a professional GM?

Tre White is probably the best non-Josh-Allen pick in the last 10 years and he had us taking Reddick, who was an all-pro last year, and the pick we traded to drop down to #27 was the pick KC used on Mahomes. So.. yeah.. not ideal.

Summary: Bills have drafted no better than amateur mock drafters for the past 10 years (and longer, but I didn't feel like spending time going back any further).

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Does this mean I can still drink during the draft?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The time to applaud or B word is at the end of the 2023 season.  If this is another year of the chiefs crushing the draft and the Bills being meh will be allowed to complain then? 

If you ask some members you're never allowed to complain.

You shut your mouth, like what the Bills are doing, and that's THAT! :) 

I always kind of wonder when posters here say a guy was a reach, or a steal, or whatever, and then talk about where they have a player on their board - what are they basing it on?  Just mocks they've seen, and some youtube?

Scouts and GM's do this 24x7, and have seen more footage and done more interviews than anyone here could possibly do.  I get called a homer on draft weekend, but I'm usually all in on whoever they pick. 

Beane hasn't been an outstanding drafter, but he has been solid, and just the work he has done in making the Bills a contender again have earned him the benefit of the doubt, at least w/ me.

3 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I like counting all the new accounts, which after every pick, get created only to tell us they are super fans of that particular college team and we drafted a STUD!! Only to never hear from that specific poster/account again

Or the new accounts that were created just to B word about a pick and then disappear once there original position becomes embarrassing

14 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I reserve the right to be disappointed and complain to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Then you've come to the right place.  Especially if you enjoy a good argument, for the fun of it...

Most seem to be here to argue with strangers, not talk football.

16 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is all true.

Yet we just let Edmunds walk, and we're about to let Oliver walk.  Elam rode the bench most of last year, Cook barely saw the field, Basham is at best a rotational guy, Epenesa is a JAG, etc.  At some point, I think fans can reasonably start second-guessing some of these picks.  It's not as if the FO is consistently nailing them or anything.  Since Beane got here, he's had one really good selection in the first two rounds, and that's starting to look like a lucky fluke.  (Edit: If Beane had drafted Tre, I'd count that as a good pick too.) 

Beane was not there for Tre. It was McDermott who made that trade which could be deemed the dumbest one in NFL history.

15 hours ago, Success said:

Scouts and GM's do this 24x7, and have seen more footage and done more interviews than anyone here could possibly do.  

Yet their draft success record is no better than amateurs.

15 hours ago, Success said:

Beane hasn't been an outstanding drafter, but he has been solid

If “solid” means “meh to average” then yes. And Josh Allen is the only reason it’s not “bad”.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.