Bills reportedly interested in Jamaal Williams

SCBills

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Spotrac has his value at 2 years 8.4 million. I would rather pay him 4.2 million, and cut hines, his cap savings would be 4.6 million. But knowing how Beane operates, he won't give up Hines after trading for him. 

That would be reasonable.  Spotrac has been known to be wildly wrong on their valuations though.  I like the idea, might be a good fit to go with Cook.     Hines makes more than that right now.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Spotrac has his value at 2 years 8.4 million. I would rather pay him 4.2 million, and cut hines, his cap savings would be 4.6 million. But knowing how Beane operates, he won't give up Hines after trading for him. 

If we don't cut Hines I will be shocked considering we can walk away with no cost. The cost is not worth his production when there are so many free agent RBs available. As for the trade, we traded a spare part and got some production, so in my book it is already a good trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

If we don't cut Hines I will be shocked considering we can walk away with no cost. The cost is not worth his production when there are so many free agent RBs available. As for the trade, we traded a spare part and got some production, so in my book it is already a good trade. 

Cap cost sure. Draft capital no. 

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

What worries me is the way Beane talked at his after season presser. He talked about Hines being better in the offense next year with a whole offseason learning the offense, or something along those lines. If Hines is kept, hopefully its a restructured contract at much lower number. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Cap cost sure. Draft capital no. 

I just had to look it up, I had forgotten the 6th rounder. On the day of the trade it seemed like nothing but now I want it back. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

What worries me is the way Beane talked at his after season presser. He talked about Hines being better in the offense next year with a whole offseason learning the offense, or something along those lines. If Hines is kept, hopefully its a restructured contract at much lower number. 

I should have mentioned if he agrees to a 2.5 million contract then I expect him back but RB is simply not our priority.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This.  Beane traded a late round pick and a guy who was a healthy scratch for a dude that housed a couple kickoffs and was a reliable punt returner in a season we were trying to win a Super Bowl. 

It was worth it.  Good trade.  Doesn’t mean we need to keep him next year though. 

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

I just had to look it up, I had forgotten the 6th rounder. On the day of the trade it seemed like nothing but now I want it back. 

I should have mentioned if he agrees to a 2.5 million contract then I expect him back but RB is simply not our priority.

I’ll just keep saying it: I think he also helps replace mckenzie. If you chalk a few of the dollars to slot receiver it’s helpful. 

I honestly think Cook/Williams might be the perfect backfield for the Bills.  

Speed/Gamebreaker in Cook.  

Power back in Williams.  

Both great in the pass game. 

Just not sure what we’re doing with Hines.  I can see him being KR/PR/Slot/Gadget/RB3, but we’re not exactly in a position to be paying 2 RB’s legit money.. If Hines stays, hopefully it’s with a pay cut/incentives based contract. 

12 hours ago, UmbrellaMan said:

I want Rashaad Penny as a compliment to Cook if Bijan doesn’t make it to 27. 

Williams is just a guy, who had an outlier year last year but has no remarkable skillset as a RB.

I think Williams is a bit overrated too, but at least he can actually stay on the field 

Bills reportedly interested in many different players…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

The RB addition for this team shouldn't be a significant part of their offseason work.    James Cook should be getting half the carries at least either way.   I'm sure it's probably just Williams agent leaking info to drum up interest in him but if he's not a cheap signing he's a waste.    Yeah, he's a good blocker and solid short yardage guy.........but the likelihood is you are getting the Green Bay version.........which will look a lot like a taller Zack Moss.

• Agree 1

I would think per the cap a rookie would be better but Beane knows best .

14 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

You’re right. I’ve listened to Singletary lovers tout his YPC and tell me he’s great 😂

Any way you look at it he's better than Moss . And if they use him as much as they did Duke Johnson i'll pass ! 

If Beane has 1 weak area it's the RB position to this point Motor was a good back but either they don't use them or like with Moss they just miss go big or don't go at all .

Edited by T master

3 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Either he’s cut or extended at a lower price-  keeping him with that cap hit- No thanks.

Jamaal Williams is a beast and we’d be very lucky to have him.  The kid has put in work and have improved year after year.  Tremendous locker room guy and brings some swag to the backfield 

Hines wasn’t used properly last year. He’s a big time playmaker especially in open space. No way am I cutting him. Restructuring his deal? Sure. 

I’m also not in the same camp as you all with Jamaal Williams. He’s a grinder and decent in short yardage but he was that in GB also. He looked better in Detroit because of their fantastic offensive line. I love his passion but I don’t think he’s worth a hefty contract. We can get the same impact from him that we could from Perine, Foreman, Montgomery, Penny, or any 5th-7th round plodding RB that falls because he can’t catch but can pick up short yardage.

Nothing against Jamaal but I just don’t think he’s worth the money he’s going to be given when we have more pressing needs at WR and OL, or even a LB to replace Edmunds. 

Hines, Cook and a cheap bulldozer are good enough for what our offense does. We just need more creative play-calling from Mr. Dorsey.

That all being said, I won’t be mad if somehow Bijan Robinson falls to us and we take him. The kid is special enough to invest in but I’d still rather go OL or Zay Flowers

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

This.  Beane traded a late round pick and a guy who was a healthy scratch for a dude that housed a couple kickoffs and was a reliable punt returner in a season we were trying to win a Super Bowl. 

It was worth it.  Good trade.  Doesn’t mean we need to keep him next year though. 

I agree with this but his future with the Bills depends on what they decide for the rest of the RB room. If the Bills let Singletary go and acquire Henry/Williams, then I think Hines has his place on the team as a returner and a depth RB

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I do wonder if they signed a RB like Williams if they’d release Hynes? He clearly wouldn’t be viewed at the #2.

hynes contrct is pretty ugly no?  theres potential there but we havent seen it in indy and didnt see it here (other than St's). very risky move to bring him back contract as is

15 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I agree but don’t some people want him running less?

I mean I could look that up. Or you could

watched his highlight video. it showed 9 tds inside the 5yd line, and all but two were from the 1 or 2. all his tds werent in that video, but solid sample size

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Depends on the price he’d make for a really nice backfield with Cook and Hynes and that would guarantee Beane won’t draft another back. 
But Id rather spend a little extra solidifying safety or OG first 

I dont see him being our feature back.  With Hines and Cook Buffalo needs a back for tough yards.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

hynes contrct is pretty ugly no?  theres potential there but we havent seen it in indy and didnt see it here (other than St's). very risky move to bring him back contract as is

watched his highlight video. it showed 9 tds inside the 5yd line, and all but two were from the 1 or 2. all his tds werent in that video, but solid sample size

hynes is gone - they aren’t going to give him $5mil or whatever his number is.

I did look at all of them - yes he had 12 TDs of 1-3 yards out.

22 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

No idea why. We don’t run the rock with the backs we have now. Spend that money on a guard and WR

I'm guessing the bills are worried about the pass blocking abilities of their RB room. Right now they have all pass catchers and no short yardage bruiser that can pass block. Williams is a great short yardage bruiser and elite pass blocker, and not to mention the locker room attitude McD loves.

I'd prefer to not spend money at RB and draft a cheap bruising rookie. But going into a season with a huge question mark at pass blocking with cook, hines, and an unproven rookie is a dangerous gamble.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why would you want to do this?

In order for Henry to be affective, he has to have the ball in his hands, which he won’

He is old

He is expensive

For the past 13 years the super bowl champions never paid big money for RBs, especially big money to old running backs. Paying RBs is not the move for a super bowl.

Paying up for Jamaal Williams seems like the opposite of the Bills RB philosophy. There’s lots of good RBs in the draft and maybe the Bills take one late. 

Jamaal Williams owes Amon-Ra St Brown for consistency getting tackled at the one yard line. They guy was a just a touchdown machine but he’s not that good, definitely won’t be worth his price tag. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.