Damar to play again?

BeastMode54

I just hope he gets his full health back. I doubt many people would play again after going through what he did. I’m sure that many owners, GMs and coaches would not want to put someone who has been through all of that back on the field again either. I don’t know where he stands or where the Bills stand on that, but I expect an abundance of caution. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Where did Dr. Mayer provide a basis for this statement? If the cause was provided as commotio cordis then that seems possible as other athletes have returned after suffering this. But the article states “The cause of his collapse still has not been determined.” so either this appears to be a poorly written article or Dr Mayer is aware of the cause but didn’t reveal it…or just a crappy article.

Two ESPN writers contributed to this article.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I hope not.

Why?

6 minutes ago, Kiva said:

After the season was derailed, the Bills need to distance themselves from Damar. Wish him luck and move on. It’s just not worth the risk. 

WTF? Is this really a thing that you think?

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hamlin was honored on Wednesday as he won the 2023 NFL Players Association Alan Page Community Award. 

“I just want to say, ‘thank you’ and just thank God for being here and thank the other guys who was nominated for the award as well who did the work in their community,” Hamlin said.

“Giving back to my community has always been a big part of who I am. Thankful to my father who is right here behind me. Growing up just watching him do community days in our community and I just always waiting on my time when it came.

“I plan to never take this position for granted and always have an urgent approach in making a difference in the community where I come from and also community across the world,” Hamlin added.

The award “recognizes one player who demonstrates a profound dedication to positively impacting his team’s city and communities across the country,” according to the NFLPA.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I care more about damar Hamlin the person right now than I do the player

Agreed 100%. Having said that, if the person is cleared by his doctors, and he wants to play again, I think it’s his decision to make. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

Good for him...if he is medically recovered and is comfortable mentally to get back out there, absolutely.  He worked his life to reach this level of a game he loves, I applaud his bravery and commitment to the game, his team, and his dreams.  No one would blame him one bit if he walked away, and no one should question him if he decides to come back either.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

26 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hopefully he can play again and also hopefully he doesn't make our team because we have upgraded at the position. Both can be true 

I think he showed to be a quality reserve and depth player.  He was leading our whole team in tackles when he got hurt on the season, and that is without starting the season as a starter.  His play in coverage was not what you want to see on an every down starter, but its also his 2nd year and first year getting this much play time.  

I think he has earned a spot here on this team.  We could do a lot worse at backup safety position.  We will have Hyde back who will start, but if for some reason Hyde wasn't here, then yeah, I agree Hamlin isn't the ideal starter to replace him and ideally we would find someone to take over the starting role and Hamlin back them up.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think he showed to be a quality reserve and depth player.  He was leading our whole team in tackles when he got hurt on the season, and that is without starting the season as a starter.  His play in coverage was not what you want to see on an every down starter, but its also his 2nd year and first year getting this much play time.  

I think he has earned a spot here on this team.  We could do a lot worse at backup safety position.  We will have Hyde back who will start, but if for some reason Hyde wasn't here, then yeah, I agree Hamlin isn't the ideal starter to replace him and ideally we would find someone to take over the starting role and Hamlin back them up.  

A safety leading your team in tackles just shows the flaws with the rest of the defense. Would be a fun story if he comes back, I’m happy he didn't die but I'm really starting to care less and less about the situation 

Edited by uticaclub

Having been through heart issues, (ten days in cardiac ICU & anther nine days in a step down unit)) and now remarkably healthy…, If I”m Damar Hamlin, I”m on my sailboat in the Bahamas, and that is exactly where I am right now. Damar is a wealthy man, being his salary was guaranteed in full by the Bills, he has gotten a second chance as I have gotten, time to move on young man, there is a much wider world out there, and it offers far more than football can give to you.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Logic said:

While I agree that it seems more likely than not, it kind of seems like the guy who made this quote is speaking out of turn.

Using the word "guarantee"? I mean...it doesn't really feel like it's his place to say that...

I agree, it strikes me as "sabre rattling" by the physician who is the Medical Director of the Union - basically laying the smack down that if Hamlin wants to play the teams had better not categorically rule him out

As far as guarantee?

There's an edge in in lung capacity, reaction time, strength, memory, mental pattern recognition, etc between an elite athlete and a good athlete

At this point, 6 weeks out, it would be great (but surprising) if Damar is even doing a full S&C workout and aerobics, trying to build himself back up to what he was.  I doubt he knows where he is yet, with the above.

• Like (+1) 1

I always assumed he'd come back and play, and was sort of expecting to see him on the field next year for the Bills, but didn't want to say it out loud for fear of being shouted down here.  These guys are wired differently and aren't governed by fear. The likelihood of what happened to Damar happening again is probably around the same as you or I being randomly struck by lightning while attending a game.  And as for emotional trauma/PTSD, it was probably much worse for his teammates and staff on the field than it was for Damar.  He basically has no recollection of anything other than waking up on a ventilator and feeling like sh*t.  

Assuming he's cleared and wants to play, I don't see why anyone here wouldn't be excited to have him back.  He's a promising young player on a rookie deal in a position of need.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

After he heals…in the spring he will likely go through extensive testing on his heart to see if the heart is healed or some heart ailment with beating or impacts.

i think he doesn’t return to play until 2024.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Why?

WTF? Is this really a thing that you think?

It’s just not worth sacrificing our season again for a second string safety. It’s time to move on and upgrade at that position, he was pretty terrible at pass protection and ok and run D.  We can find better without the distraction. 

After Hamlin had his cardiac arrest and was treated for it, two questions needed to be answered before a return to football could be considered.  First, could he make a complete recovery?  Second, was there anything about his initial cardiac incident that would put him at greater risk for a cardiac incident in the future, should he return to football?  Once those two questions can be answered in a favorable way, it seems to me that it should be entirely up to him and the Bills (or whatever team he aspires to play for) to decide if he should play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.