The Bengals opening drive

Livinginthepast

I've watched the Bills in the playoffs for the past 4 decades back to the 1980 season and I have to say no opposition opening drive has ever foreshadowed a game more than what the Bengals did today to start off. Sure there have been some terrible Bills teams who have given up terrible opening drives in the regular season (McD era teams have been actually really bad at this) but this is the playoffs. No playoff Bills team I can recall ever took such a punch to the face as the Bills did on the opening drive today.  The drive planted the momentum to the Bengals and they never gave it back. The drive was so easy and so effortless that it immediately took the crowd out of the game and oddly seemed to permanently deflate the Bills D going forward. It also exposed Frazier for the fraud that he is defensively with Bengals receivers wide open on every down, no pass rush, a D line getting gashed on runs and a QB completing every single pass. In short it was like a Mike Tyson knockdown or standing 8 count in the first minute of the first round.  I just cant get my head around how the Bills (especially Frazier)could have possibly have been so poorly prepared for what they knew the Bengals could do. Its almost as if Frazier didn't watch any film at all this week on the Bengals. One of their best O Lineman was out, yet no pressure or scheme to that side. If this isn't enough to get Frazier fired, I simply don't know what is?

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

What about the Bills first play on offense? A McKenzie sweep? While the ground is slippery and it's better t o go North-South? Same drive there was a Cook run, again going sideways. 3 and out. 

Sure those plays can work, but in that weather? Wow

Chase all alone was crazy. Outcoached, period,

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The worst part, and the reason why I can’t believe anyone wants Frazier back next year after this (and 13 seconds) was that I didn’t even bat an eye when Cincy went down and scored … I just expected it.  

In a Divisional Round Playoff Game, I expected the opponent to score a TD on the opening drive and it didn’t even affect me. 

Think about what that says .. because I know I’m not alone. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its almost as if Frazier didn't watch any film at all this week on the Bengals. One of their best O Lineman was out, yet no pressure or scheme to that side. If this isn't enough to get Frazier fired, I simply don't know what is?

Apparently the coaches are at the facility 24/7....( or close to it) during playoff times...and lots of hours during a regular season week

I assume that McD is talking to Leslie all the time ... isnt he wanting to know what Leslie is planning to do during the game? Like how they are going to respond/counter the opposition strengths and weaknesses? And if he isnt happy he can say so?

Im no fan of Leslie or this D, but McD needs to take some of the blame.... he seems to be all care and no responsibility .. nice work at $6M+ a year if you can get it...

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I've watched the Bills in the playoffs for the past 4 decades back to the 1980 season and I have to say no opposition opening drive has ever foreshadowed a game more than what the Bengals did today to start off. Sure there have been some terrible Bills teams who have given up terrible opening drives in the regular season (McD era teams have been actually really bad at this) but this is the playoffs. No playoff Bills team I can recall ever took such a punch to the face as the Bills did on the opening drive today.  The drive planted the momentum to the Bengals and they never gave it back. The drive was so easy and so effortless that it immediately took the crowd out of the game and oddly seemed to permanently deflate the Bills D going forward. It also exposed Frazier for the fraud that he is defensively with Bengals receivers wide open on every down, no pass rush, a D line getting gashed on runs and a QB completing every single pass. In short it was like a Mike Tyson knockdown or standing 8 count in the first minute of the first round.  I just cant get my head around how the Bills (especially Frazier)could have possibly have been so poorly prepared for what they knew the Bengals could do. Its almost as if Frazier didn't watch any film at all this week on the Bengals. One of their best O Lineman was out, yet no pressure or scheme to that side. If this isn't enough to get Frazier fired, I simply don't know what is?

I'm a huge "It's not how you start , it's how you finish" guy and the team did not start or finish. You will never win a game if you can't start or finish no matter what sport.

• Like (+1) 1

Who won the coin toss? I missed it. But even when the Bengals win they take the ball. Their beat reporter said they saw when the offense sits too long the get out of rhythm so they always take the ball to start the game or the other team defers so either way they go on offense first. If we won the toss we should have taken the ball to throw them off

• Agree 1

How about that defensive timeout McD took later in the 2nd half on a Bengals 3rd down? I laughed to myself and thought “the Bengals will pick this up anyway” and sure enough, they did. I’ve never seen timeouts burned on defense so ineffectively. What are they discussing during the timeout? Who makes the best Buffalo Wings? 

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Governor said:

Especially after starting the same exact way on the Monday night game. We were overmatched and the team knew it weeks ago.

Pretty sure a reporter asked either Frazier or McDermott that same question regarding Monday. Response, "were not going to change anything. We will do what we do best." Yeah great call guys. Should be the nail in the coffin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Who won the coin toss? I missed it. But even when the Bengals win they take the ball. Their beat reporter said they saw when the offense sits too long the get out of rhythm so they always take the ball to start the game or the other team defers so either way they go on offense first. If we won the toss we should have taken the ball to throw them off

And that would have solved losing the battle on both sides of the line all day? C'mon man. 

46 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

This ridiculous Tampa 2 zone crap has been worthless since day 1.  It doesn't work without an elite pass rush.  Let's have 7 players backpedal into open space and hopefully someone accidentally runs right in front of them.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

What about the Bills first play on offense? A McKenzie sweep? While the ground is slippery and it's better t o go North-South? Same drive there was a Cook run, again going sideways. 3 and out. 

Yes the side to side run plays!! And cool totally on skates when he did get the ball. Also with the snow a more steady pass rush was in order, Bills slid by Burrow about ten times. 

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

How about that defensive timeout McD took later in the 2nd half on a Bengals 3rd down? I laughed to myself and thought “the Bengals will pick this up anyway” and sure enough, they did. I’ve never seen timeouts burned on defense so ineffectively. What are they discussing during the timeout? Who makes the best Buffalo Wings? 

Yes holy … 3rd and ten as if they were going to do something different? What was the thought process ? 

I hate how this defense gets pushed around.  And I hate how nobody is expected to make a play in the front 6 except Milano.  Star was given $50m to occupy blockers and never make a play.  We’re constantly told how important Edmunds is to the defense but he never makes a play.  Milano was the only reason Cincy didn’t score 28 points on their first 4 possessions.  We would’ve been better off not putting any D Linemen on the field in the 1st half.  That’s how bad they were.  It looked they were coached to just stand there and occupy blockers.  Cincy had so little respect for our defense they were calling timeouts on their own 15 yard line with 25 seconds left in the half.  

• Agree 2

I think the defense has a lot of “good” players, but no “great” ones, aside from Von Miller before his injury and Matt Milano. There’s only 2 blue chip talents on the defensive side, but the collection of talent is enough that we should be getting more out of that group. The pieces weren’t used effectively (obviously). It’s not like we had guys getting beat in one on one, Cinci had players running Scott free through the secondary all game and that was without blitzing. Just an inexcusable game plan and shame on Frazier and McD for sticking with the same failed gameplan from the first Cinci game (when it was clear we’d have problems then). “You don’t want to overthink things” says Frazier. How about thinking at all? How about scheming players to stop what Cinci does well? How about taking away either the run or the pass?? No resistance for either. 

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think the defense has a lot of “good” players, but no “great” ones, aside from Von Miller before his injury and Matt Milano. There’s only 2 blue chip talents on the defensive side, but the collection of talent is enough that we should be getting more out of that group. The pieces weren’t used effectively (obviously). It’s not like we had guys getting beat in one on one, Cinci had players running Scott free through the secondary all game and that was without blitzing. Just an inexcusable game plan and shame on Frazier and McD for sticking with the same failed gameplan from the first Cinci game (when it was clear we’d have problems then). “You don’t want to overthink things” says Frazier. How about thinking at all? How about scheming players to stop what Cinci does well? How about taking away either the run or the pass?? No resistance for either. 

It has happened more times than not... no team specific game plans.  The defense just doing what they did.  In a lot of games.. they can over come it in most games Josh can score enough to for the other team out of their game plan. In the playoffs... its a recipe for getting bounced.  4 years in a row.  

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I was at the game, so I have no idea what was said on broadcast...

But Bills had 12 men on defense.  They were going to their "3 man rush"/dime defense, and Siran came in but Boogie forgot to come out.  Right after the timeout, they decided to go back to nickle/4 man rush, with Boogie out there.

While I agree it was a horrible timeout, the purpose was to save the 5 yard penalty....

meaningless now in the big picture.  Our defensive, and offensive, strategies were complete garbage today.  I wonder how much the head coach interview distracted Ken this week?  Leslie on the other hand, said it last year and will say it again, he is nowhere near aggressive enough.  KC played with less talent on defense than the past few years, that gap is now closing tho, but Spags gets ALOT more out of his scheme.

We have zero team identity...it's basically let Josh Allen be superman, and Diggs to dominate (when given enough opportunities).  Their needs to be a new ID on defense, called getting fast/physical players.  Likewise on OL and playmakers...

Difficult to let Ken go after 1 year, especially when Josh deserves some say in it and need better supporting cast.  Leslie should immediately be fired, and we need to "retool" that defense.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I was at the game, so I have no idea what was said on broadcast...

But Bills had 12 men on defense.  They were going to their "3 man rush"/dime defense, and Siran came in but Boogie forgot to come out.  Right after the timeout, they decided to go back to nickle/4 man rush, with Boogie out there.

While I agree it was a horrible timeout, the purpose was to save the 5 yard penalty....

meaningless now in the big picture.  Our defensive, and offensive, strategies were complete garbage today.  I wonder how much the head coach interview distracted Ken this week?  Leslie on the other hand, said it last year and will say it again, he is nowhere near aggressive enough.  KC played with less talent on defense than the past few years, that gap is now closing tho, but Spags gets ALOT more out of his scheme.

We have zero team identity...it's basically let Josh Allen be superman, and Diggs to dominate (when given enough opportunities).  Their needs to be a new ID on defense, called getting fast/physical players.  Likewise on OL and playmakers...

Difficult to let Ken go after 1 year, especially when Josh deserves some say in it and need better supporting cast.  Leslie should immediately be fired, and we need to "retool" that defense.

Both Spags and Lou A, the Bengals coordinator, get much more out of their defenses. Neither one of those units have much more talent than the Bills, but their coordinators are simply better X’s and O’s chess players.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Need to stop deferring.

Set the damn tone.

You have Josh Allen at home.

2nd playoff loss ever at home...come on...

Yep - especially when you have a garbage Defense going against an elite offense 

I absolutely hated kicking off.  Not hyperbole I truly believe that played a massive role in losing this game.  

That and the 3rd and 10 timeout.  I laughed got up when he called it and I said “game over.”  Didn’t even watch the play I heard the families response from the kitchen as I was getting a serving of the pulled pork we made and I just laughed.  

We weren’t dictating.  We were reacting. 

That’s how you lose in…pretty much everything 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Governor said:

Especially after starting the same exact way on the Monday night game. We were overmatched and the team knew it weeks ago.

You know I think you have a point.  It’s emotionally as if they knew they couldn’t match up after their experience in cincy , and just resigned to that fact. Milano said they had no juice on d.  This was as emotionally flat as I’ve seen a Bills team. I don’t buy the emotionally drained excuse as Hamlin is and has been doing well and they played two games in the meantime.  It would be sccephad his outcome not been so good. You know a situation you remain flat in , when you know you are physically outmatched and you are getting pushed around with an a$$ kicking.

Mcd gets no break here either.  

Knowing how the Bengals marched on them in cincy , why stick with your obsessive tendency to always defer when you knew what type of offense you were facing.  Why not at least try to jump out in the lead , take the kickoff and have confidence you will score and take the lead.   Cincy was confident and they backed it up when they received and scored.  In the  end it prob made no difference but they are so predictable it’s almost ridiculous.  They came out flat ( per Milano) and stayed that way. Kudos to Matt for being open. It’s surprising as most thought this would be a highly emotional game.  One more playoff debacle emerges with a home divisional blow out. Injuries did play a huge role all year , but not so much today ironically.  

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

A bad time to play worst game of the year on both sides of the ball. 

Well said.

That was a brutal performance on both sides. Cincy looked like a much better team all around , from players to coaches and scheme and they knew it. All week they were talking and taking light jabs at Buffalo , like they knew this would happen.  

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Well said.

That was a brutal performance on both sides. Cincy looked like a much better team all around , from players to coaches and scheme and they knew it. All week they were talking and taking light jabs at Buffalo , like they knew this would happen.  

Need to get angry, refocus, and reload. Then go out in 2023 and light all those SOBs up. 

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Lets pray Frazier gets a HC job and we get picks in return 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

how about those outside runs with cook in the snow? Just pure genius

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The worst part, and the reason why I can’t believe anyone wants Frazier back next year after this (and 13 seconds) was that I didn’t even bat an eye when Cincy went down and scored … I just expected it.  

In a Divisional Round Playoff Game, I expected the opponent to score a TD on the opening drive and it didn’t even affect me. 

His contract is up this year let's pray it's not renewed.

• Agree 1

It's almost like McD threw the game. 

He knew in the previous game that Taylor wanted the ball after winning opening toss... Yet, McD wins the toss yesterday and gives the ball to the Bengals. In bad weather to boot! 

When you find yourself on bad ground... Don't defend it! Move forward as quickly as possible and vacate it! 

Getting on their heels in a 14 point hole in bad weather was deadly! 

7 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

It was the same opening drive and second drive as the MNF a game. Fraser learned nothing from the film,of that limited game.  

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

So did I. When we chose to kick, that was curtains. The defense was shell shocked and the whole team knew it, the press was on, and then the eventual submission choke hold.

And if we took the ball and went three and out with that stupid jet sweep call, and the Bengals rammed it down our throats for a TD, what then?

Kicking off didn’t lose this game.  We were woefully underprepared on both sides of the ball.  Like we expected HFA would be enough and Cincy would just roll over. 

Failing to get seven on either side of halftime, let alone both sides, was also killer.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.