Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

It's about 7 hours -- definitely driveable.  There are 32 teams in the NFL 25 of them are probably not driveabe (over more than 8 hours away). Boston, NJ, Phil, Detroit, all around 6 hours from buffalo. Cleveland/Pitt is the closest at 3 hours -- cinncinati is 7 hours. So it's pretty close overall.

Not like MIA fans can drive to BLO or BLO fans can drive to LA.  Cinn to buff? Easy drive.

I guess we have a different definition of an "easy drive" lol

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Huh? It's not very close at all. I lived there. Erie is very close. Rochester is very close. Cleveland is close. Pittsburgh is close.

Cincinnati is between 6.5-7 hours 

I didn't say it was the absolute closest team to us, I said it is driveable you don't have to fly. It's close enough.

32 teams in the NFL its closer than 25 of them.

Just now, Bferra13 said:

I guess we have a different definition of an "easy drive" lol

I guess so.

We had 8 penalties for 60 yards including some killer holdings and a DPI.

There were 14 penalties in both games yesterday COMBINED.  

10 TOTAL in the KC-Dal game.  Dallas did have 7 of those in fairness - the road team.  

The Bengals were clearly screwed playing in Buffalo while we were given a neutral site game if we moved on to the AFCCG. 

The Bengals had TWO penalties today for 9 yards.  

That is all.   

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I didn't say it was the absolute closest team to us, I said it is driveable you don't have to fly. It's close enough.

32 teams in the NFL its closer than 25 of them.

I guess so.

I'm just going by you saying "very close". It certainly is not that.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Calidiehard said:

I don't think it's that he won't play within it. It is that our system gives receivers too many options on routes and Josh and the receivers need to be on the same page, with a weak oline that doesn't hold up.

Our line is Terrible.  Even Dawkins , our pro bowl LT is nowhere near the elite LTs. 

I think the coaching gives too much leeway to the players, especially on O. They're good enough to beat most teams with this style but not the truly elite ones. I just don't see an easy fix out of this. Dabol is very missed, he at least added some much needed creativity and kept defenses on their toes. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Huh? It's not very close at all. I lived there. Erie is very close. Rochester is very close. Cleveland is close. Pittsburgh is close.

Cincinnati is between 6.5-7 hours 

If only the bills played Erie or Rochester yesterday.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH

To me, when I reflect on not only yesterday but basically the year a lot of what was hard to put a finger on was clearly expressed through the game yesterday.

(1) The one area our players are significantly and consistently coached up appears to come from the Bills PR team.  The players never truly make any hiccups during their scheduled time in front of the camera.  Maybe our position coaches could pick up a hint or two from the Bills PR team on how they coach? 

(2) The team is a reflection of McD.  And that goes both ways, for the good and for the not so good.  His PR disposition and "content" during the canned PR segments says one thing (tough, hardened, no nonsense) and then during the game it gets expressed way differently (get punched in face, think deeply about what to do next).  This is like bourbon, there are some noses that do not match the taste. It is confusing and does not work well.  Usually disappointing.

(3) Clearly the team needs time; and now they have it.  They need to soul search, recalibrate their focus, and reflect on what got them into playing football and how they want their legacy to form. Losing is part of the game and always hard, but when you do not even go down swinging that can take a toll on everyone.

(4) I am highly intrigued on how our Front Office responds here.  I get that the standard platitudes will be spewed to placate a fan base, but at the same time if they look hard at where they are at as a team, I have to think it will stimulate some proactive and aggressive moves to address the opportunities that yesterday revealed.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

All the talk the last few seasons was how Allen and Mahomes would be battling for the next decade.  it’s really Mahomes and Burrow who are the big dogs.

They can roll their eyes at you all they want, but you speak the truth. Mahomes is the creative one and Burrow is Tom Brady. The Bills are stuck, just like always, behind greatness.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They can roll their eyes at you all they want, but you speak the truth. Mahomes is the creative one and Burrow is Tom Brady. The Bills are stuck, just like always, behind greatness.

Neither one is winning the super bowl this year, slow the Brady talk. I really like Burrows game, but he has got a long way to go to meet that comp.

1 minute ago, Dan in Owego said:

Neither one is winning the super bowl this year, slow the Brady talk. I really like Burrows game, but he has got a long way to go to meet that comp.

Yeah, like around 7 Super Bowl Championships to go. The hyperbole around this place is comical. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Before the game I felt of all the outcomes Buffalo getting blown out was least likely. I was wrong. 

Both lines need serious retooling and reinvestment. Even without Miller and Jones who are admittedly significant losses, our 9th overall pick DT, 30th overall pick DE, 54th overall pick DE, and 61st overall pick DE got owned by a back-up offensive line. Anyone with eyes saw Allen running for his life. Both are not problems that popped up in this game, but instead long-term issues. 

People I’m not the least bit worried about: Beane, Allen, Cook, Hines, Diggs, Davis (so long as he’s viewed as a WR3), Knox, Dawkins, Miller, Jones, Milano, Johnson, Elam, STers. 

Our defensive scheme is inadequate. We lost Hyde and Miller, yes, but good coaches modify their schemes and get a Purdy-led offense into the Conference Championship. It comes down to philosophy. We need to be varied enough that we can go heavy man and jam WRs at times. Thing is it wasn’t just scheme. We often tackled poorly. 

While writing this I’ve come to the conclusion the worst marriage by far for the Bills is the rush-4-to-get-home scheme with repeated whiffs on high defensive line picks. We’re playing a scheme relying on talent we don’t have. It would have been nice for whoever is truly running the defense to rush 3 more yesterday. If 4 weren’t getting home then at least give coverage some help. Let Burrow try to run on you in the snow. 

This may be a situation where we need turnover at one or both coordinator positions but it doesn’t happen. I do wonder like others if Frazier getting fired changes much in the defensive philosophy/scheme anyways. It’s tough to look at the offense’s year-long production and say fire the rookie OC because he did a lot of great things and Allen evidently likes him. But it would be tough to pass up a Reich. 

The 24 Hour Rule should change to a 1 Week Rule for Playoff Losses. At the end of the day we are going into next year with Allen, Diggs, Milano, and Miller. We’ll be back in the playoffs. Hopefully we are a little healthier next year and grab that 1 seed. GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2

Disconsolate.

That’s one word.

Dispirited.

Is the other.

I suddenly realized that my anger from ‘13 Seconds’ is finally disappointing. Because, now I know, that McClapper’s absence of incompetence there, would not necessarily have meant anything in the AFC Championship!

I just do not believe anymore, that the Bills will win the SB in my lifetime. There is no longer simply, ONE AFC to knock off, rather there are two. And I would argue, that there are 2 more nipping at the Bills’ heels- Chargers & Jags.

Yesterday, there was not one aspect of the game, that the Bills were superior!

NOT ***** ONE!

Not the star QB.

Absolutely, not the WRs or TEs.

Not the 3 missing starting lineman team, rather the incompetent turnstiles on our side.

Not the AWOL D.

Certainly not the MIA HC, OC & DC!

And let’s not ignore the whiffing on Draft Day GM!

Burrow opened the game as KGun Kelly of the 90s, rumbling down the field to easily score. 
And Home Field energy!
FFS, 3 consecutive 3 and outs in response?
Embarrassingly brutal! 

It’s like deja vu for all the non Playoff years, pre McD. We finally have the QB, but like then, are missing a clear 1/2 dozen quality players at critical positions.

How is there ever a forward move to the higher goal for the Bills’ players, Coaches, Owners & we looooooong suffering fans?

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

28 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hate the eye rollers.  Just don’t react,… read and move on.  Let’s watch Mahomes on one leg next week, make plays from the pocket. 

That being said, the Bills would be a 6 win team without Allen.  He’s everything.  They just need to retool the offense and make it so he doesn’t have to make spectacular solo plays to win. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

And yet some how they all looked bigger/stronger/more physical than our guys.... How?

Because they were. Their second stringers were better than the Bills first stringers. If that doesn't raise eyebrows I'm not sure what does. Beane has failed time after time with his high draft picks in this area. 

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I hate the eye rollers.  Just don’t react,… read and move on.  Let’s watch Mahomes on one leg next week, make plays from the pocket. 

That being said, the Bills would be a 6 win team without Allen.  He’s everything.  They just need to retool the offense and make it so he doesn’t have to make spectacular solo plays to win. 

This team is Allen.  And they all know it.  On Offense, most if the season, they lack creativity, lack focus, and became increasingly predictable because they didn’t have to change anything. Because... Allen would bail them out in the end. 

Similarly on defense, they never adjust, rarely feel the urgency to stop the other team.  They’re coached to sit back, be cautious, don’t give up the big play. Its almost like the entire defense is built around backing up and waiting for the other team to drop a pass, or make an errant throw, make a mistake.  And if they score, don’t worry because Allen will score and bail them out in the end. 

Add to it, McD must have gave one of heck of a classic anti hype speech pre game to calm everyone down. Ya know they’re all excited, but lets not get too emotional.   Lets just calm down, take deep breaths and try not to make a mistake.  Careful on 3... 1, 2, 3.  

Changes need to be made.  We’ve become the perennial playoff team.  How do we become more?  Not by being cautious and standing still. 

I'm still gutted the next day by this.  I'm smart enough to realize this is irrational, but I'm too emotionally invested in this team considering I have no ability to effect the outcome. 

I hate, hate, hate that the only reasoning we've gotten is "we didn't have the energy, we came out flat".  The fact that the team was unmotivated is a direct condemnation on the coaching staff. The whole city, hell WNY is behind the Bills, and the players aren't invested in the outcome.  That's a failure of leadership. 

I'm worried this is all we're gonna be able to do. We will have some fun years like the Chargers but never do anything of note, I guess it's better than the drought but it still feels just gross. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Mark my words, chance of no playoffs next year if Jets get a qb. They will rebound in 2024 but next year will be a tough one.

teams ahead of Bills next year

Cinci

Chiefs

Chargers

Jacksonville

Jets, if they get Lamar

Baltimore if they keep Lamar

miami if Tua is healthy

This is a little too much doom and gloom, frankly. The Bills have beaten Baltimore, the Chargers HC is just as bad as ours, probably worse, and Jacksonville looks fine but not some top tier team.  

The Jets are a complete hypothetical if they can find the hardest position to find in modern football, and Miami completely relies on timing throws in order to be effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Mark my words, chance of no playoffs next year if Jets get a qb. They will rebound in 2024 but next year will be a tough one.

teams ahead of Bills next year

Cinci

Chiefs

Chargers

Jacksonville

Jets, if they get Lamar

Baltimore if they keep Lamar

miami if Tua is healthy

Cinci - Probably similar tier to the Bills next year

Chiefs - Probably similar tier to the Bills next year

Chargers - No signs they are a better team, and they are in a tougher divisino

Jacksonville - Lawrence is hype hype hype, but still needs to take another step for that team to get close to the Bills

Jets, if they get Lamar - If and buts - and this is a HUGE if

Baltimore if they keep Lamar - Ifs and buts

miami if Tua is healthy - Ifs and buts - and we really have no idea what Tua will be like moving forward

So if we assume the worst, bad things will happen?  Surprising...

Its very likely the Bills are a division winner AGAIN, with a 13-4/12-5 type record.  They are still a VERY good team.  Remember when the Chiefs were going to take a step back this year because they lost Hill, and their division brought in all of this talent?  Let's not overreact to a loss against the reigning AFC Champs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

“We came out flat” is a terrible reason to lose a home game, especially a playoff game.  That is what they are saying.  

No doubt something else is wrong inside the locker room and in meeting rooms.  They are stale. They are predictable. They made errors and turnovers constantly in the past month.  They were lucky to play Miami without Tua the week prior. 

Recall the MNF game, the Bengals won the coin toss and took the ball. The MNF announcers made this a point that they usually defer but hey wanted to make a statement and score first.  Sure enough, four plays later they score.  

Fast forward to yesterday.  Bill win the toss and instead of taking the ball and trying to punch first they differ.  Bengals score on the first series gaining big yards on every play.  Bills go 3 and out, running sideways in the snow,  Bengals score again.  Burrow is 10 of 10, Bengals have 14 points, all before we get a first down.  They had no fight, they had no answers, they weren’t even ready to play. 

The Bills had nothing new planned for this game and they learned nothing from the 9 minutes on MNF.  This game was an extension of that game.  The DBs played too far off the line against a QB with fastest release in the league, the Bengals played pitch and catch with ease.  The second TD was most embarrassing as three guys covered a screen and left the dangerous TE alone for an easy score.  This “Tampa 2 whatever it is” is flawed and exposed.  

In the AFC, the Bills have now dropped to 3rd, with Miami and Jax closer to them than they are to KC and Cinci.  Two years in a row eliminated in the divisional round. This time no 13 second freaky meltdown, the got beat up from the first play to the last play. 

Allen is a great kid but Bills fans that say he is the best weapon in the league are delusional.  He is the #3 QB in the AFC.   It appears he has regressed under Dorsey and he is back to making too many big mistakes, not seeing the field and not being patient. 

This Bills team peaked in the first few months of the season and was in decline in the last month.   They still have some good talent but it’s time for re-tooling.  I have no desire to see Dorsey or Frazier back.  They need better lines on both sides of the ball and more play makers.   Their secondary has fallen from a very good unit to below average in just one season (Hyde out, Tre not recovered, Poyer probably leaving).   They have far more needs than premium draft picks and no cap space.  

That was a miserable home playoff loss and it says a lot about the state of the team.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Back in November, someone created a thread about how the Bengals stayed in Cincinnati and worked through their bye week while the Bills hit the beach. At the time, I thought it was nonsense, but in retrospect I think that it demonstrates a difference in focus and coaching. It goes beyond simply "wanting it more" and "work ethic." The Bengals have been really hot since that bye, and it's not just momentum and effort. No, they changed offensive philosophy in the middle of the season. 

Early in the year, Burrow was getting sacked left and right because he was holding the ball, waiting for downfield plays to Chase and Higgins to develop (sound familiar?). The Browns sacked him 5 times on Halloween night. The Ravens played man coverage but with two high safeties and Burrow looked lost in a 19-17 loss in Baltimore on MNF. After the bye week, they started running those short passes to make up for poor OL play and to beat teams that were taking away the deep passes. So instead of the explosive big plays that Burrow and Chase were known for last year, they started running 7 minute drives. They also stopped forcing the ball to Chase and Higgins and started using all of the offensive players in the passing game. This was a huge change, because the Bengals offense last year was almost entirely deep balls to Chase. That shows the power of having a creative offensive mind at the helm of the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2

The trend of the NFL is offensive minded head coaches. It's easier to keep a good DC since there is less demand for them to become head coaches.  If you have a defensive minded head coach you really need a good OC.  We had one in Daboll. Like every really good OC, they are hard to keep around. We need a really good OC that will stay for more than a year or two. Could Frank Reich help Josh? 

19 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

This is a little too much doom and gloom, frankly. The Bills have beaten Baltimore, the Chargers HC is just as bad as ours, probably worse, and Jacksonville looks fine but not some top tier team.  

The Jets are a complete hypothetical if they can find the hardest position to find in modern football, and Miami completely relies on timing throws in order to be effective. 

Yes and no. We are starting to look less like the team on the rise and more like the team on the decline. Many key players getting older with no replacements currently on the roster. This offseason will be huge to see what they can upgrade. Its no longer Allen will keep getting better or Gabe Davis, Greg R, Knox, pick a name is on the rise. Name one young player that is on the break out year list? Closest arguments would be guys like Cook and Elam.

The last couple years the Bills should have pushed more chips in. This year especially feels like lost opportunities. I am tired of hearing how this team does not do it that way when it comes to not signing guys. Not true. Look at the defense. They just have not been the right moves and on O have gone dumpster diving. 

Everyone knew they needed help on O at the deadline. They ignore CMC, Hockenson, Toney, any OL and bring in Hines, Brown and Beasley. Not enough. SF, MIN and KC all got better while Bills did nothing. 

In the offseason there were some no brainers that everyone talked about. Remember Evan Engram? That was a no brainer move and we bring in OJ Howard. We continue to spend $10M+ on special teams guys. This O was doomed by the OL and lack of weapons. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes and no. We are starting to look less like the team on the rise and more like the team on the decline. Many key players getting older with no replacements currently on the roster. This offseason will be huge to see what they can upgrade. Its no longer Allen will keep getting better or Gabe Davis, Greg R, Knox, pick a name is on the rise. Name one young player that is on the break out year list? Closest arguments would be guys like Cook and Elam.

The last couple years the Bills should have pushed more chips in. This year especially feels like lost opportunities. I am tired of hearing how this team does not do it that way when it comes to not signing guys. Not true. Look at the defense. They just have not been the right moves and on O have gone dumpster diving. 

Everyone knew they needed help on O at the deadline. They ignore CMC, Hockenson, Toney, any OL and bring in Hines, Brown and Beasley. Not enough. SF, MIN and KC all got better while Bills did nothing. 

In the offseason there were some no brainers that everyone talked about. Remember Evan Engram? That was a no brainer move and we bring in OJ Howard. We continue to spend $10M+ on special teams guys. This O was doomed by the OL and lack of weapons. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see the massive backslide that a lot are predicting simply because the offense wasn't good this season talent-wise and Allen dragged it to the #2 spot in stats by sheer force of will.  He's just that good.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.