Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Josh has had issues with zone all year. He’s near the bottom of the league.

I thought he had some weird responses post game. Granted a tough loss and a lot of emotions. But he couldn’t give one example of one thing they struggled with when asked a couple of times. I thought it was odd.

Your brute force analogy makes sense.

Allen was Lamar’ed a bit last week. He’ll have to get better with his eyes and reads going forward. 

Josh is done getting better. He's 26. The Bills have to give him more weapons and a better line, but he is who he is at this point.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen has to spend the whole offseason thinking about becoming a grownup.  Burrow showed that a QB has to manipulate the defense with his eyes and his brain.  Allen has spent too much of the year trying to break the opposing defense with “brute force.”  It doesn’t work and it’s going to get him killed.  

Good we can trade him this off season while is value is still high 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not even sure why I’m thinking of this but when was the last time we hit a screen for a decent gain? One to the rb? Not sideways one to a WR. Or also where was that jet sweep? We used to kill them with McKenzie on them all the time. This entire season was such a waste of time 

Dorsey's play calling has lacked ingenuity and diversity all season.  It can't be denied.

When was the last time we ran a play, this season, where you thought "Wow that was a really clever play design"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Allen has been responsible for over 180 touchdowns. He’s every bit as good as those two. The resources those two other franchises allocate to the offense is far superior to what the bills do 

Have to disagree. Perhaps it was his injury, but after the first three games his throws were wildly inconsistent. Every amazing only Josh can make that throw pass was followed by two or three off target ones. I don't think Cincy's receiving crew is any better and may be inferior to the Bills'. The OL clearly needs work, but Burrow and Mahomes have a calm and confidence that translates into making consistent plays.

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

James Cook had 5 carries today.

Nyheim Hines never got going on this offense despite having games where he saw 10 targets in Indy last year. It’s so insanely frustrating. We don’t need McCaffrey, we need to know how to develop and utilize existing players. The Hines stuff is insanity, he’s not even a rookie!

How about building an offense suited for Buffalo weather? If not, forget about home field advantage in playoffs. The aerial attack is good from Sept-Nov, but in January you need to be able to grind out yardage. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It may get him killed, but Josh's running is a HUGE part of what makes Josh, Josh.

It's not that way at all with Burrow.

If Josh gets hurt running, so be it.  He should be doing it routinely, it's a part of his value to the team.

One of many flaws in this game today is that he didn't run nearly enough.

He didnt run nearly enough all post season.   He is not a good enough timing passer to not run as well, thats what makes him a top level QB.  Without the running he isnt in the same category of QB.  He has shown the last two years that he isnt accurate enough to be elite without the running.

Just now, IronyAbounds said:

Have to disagree. Perhaps it was his injury, but after the first three games his throws were wildly inconsistent. Every amazing only Josh can make that throw pass was followed by two or three off target ones. I don't think Cincy's receiving crew is any better and may be inferior to the Bills'. The OL clearly needs work, but Burrow and Mahomes have a calm and confidence that translates into making consistent plays.

We need to trade him while his value is high and rebuild this thing since it’s obvious he’s not getting the proper coaching here. 

• Disagree 1

Josh went out on a limb for Dorsey. and McD let it happen.

WRONG. 

mcD is so passive in almost every way when it comes down in the big moments. Punt, play not to lose, bend but don’t break, let the other team and coaches dictate to them. His presser was even more brutal tonight . We didn’t go for it “bc we didnt get the right look from the other team” - mother ***** ! You dictate the terms! You smash them in the mouth - or call the unbeatable play! Another q - he answers yea well we had “two new play callers on offense and special team.” Eye roll. What a loser 

last week after Mia he says “gotta have faith in players and coaches to get things corrected” - no coach you need to dictate to your coaches - xyz

he calls so many defensive and special teams TO only to never it mean anything 

why this matters - play into is his decision about his assistants. HE needs to be RUTHLESS in assessing Leslie and Dorsey. He needs to take them to the wood shed . Hey ken- it should be and look easier for Josh. We can’t have Josh taking 30’***** deep shots . It’s lowpercentage. We can’t be always throwing end zone shots from 20-30

yards. Hey Leslie - you can’t run this crap. You can’t all out blitz and have DBs 10 yards off on 3 and 4! 

RUTHLESS. These assistants or the way they aremanaged arent good enough! Find better / replace them!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, IronyAbounds said:

You think there receivers are inferior to the Bills, not sure most would agree to that take.

1 minute ago, IronyAbounds said:

You had me until you said Cincy's WR crew isnt any better and may be worse than Buffalo's.   Chase is just as good as Diggs, Higgins is light years better than Davis, McKenzie shouldnt even be spoken about in the same conversation as Boyd and Hurst is just as good as Knox.   Burrow is working with a hell of a lot more than Josh.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It may get him killed, but Josh's running is a HUGE part of what makes Josh, Josh.

It's not that way at all with Burrow.

If Josh gets hurt running, so be it.  He should be doing it routinely, it's a part of his value to the team.

One of many flaws in this game today is that he didn't run nearly enough.

Josh’s running was almost entirely contained the last few weeks. 

The willingness to run Josh isn’t the issue. 

It is what happens if the run is there.

• Disagree 1

Painful loss, tough to come up short. Picked a bad day and a tough opponent to play a bad game and we played a bad game.  I look forward to watching this team get better, grow from it, and offer a really exciting season trying again next year. Ignore the overreactions and noise for the next few weeks. 

Exciting to be a team that year after year expects to be #1 and is disappointed by anything else, but also by definition that makes today really disappointing.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

Painful loss, tough to come up short. Picked a bad day and a tough opponent to play a bad game and we played a bad game.  I look forward to watching this team get better, grow from it, and offer a really exciting season trying again next year. Ignore the overreactions and noise for the next few weeks. 

Exciting to be a team that year after year expects to be #1 and is disappointed by anything else, but also by definition that makes today really disappointing.

Go Bills

I think they'll still be a 12-13 win team next year.  Have some things to work on but they will be back.  

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

If we are going to be realistic, the scoreline flattered us big time.

And this one is also on Beane - he has not nailed a single defensive draft pick, whilst criminally neglecting the O-line.

There is obviously an element of bad luck with the injuries to Von and Micah, but that should have been offset by the weakened Bengals O-line.

What a depressing end to what was a promising season.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

The recipe for success is out there!!!

Its no longer the defensive minded guys.

It’s the offensive minded, we will do as we like, get creative, build your offense and get playmakers…. Do it all with an attitude too!

Bills are far from that and I have zero expectations and no longer believe in the staff. It’s not personal, but I know this ain’t it. From coaches to players etc… we have a Super Bowl Caliber QB and WR…. That’s it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Allen has been responsible for over 180 touchdowns. He’s every bit as good as those two. The resources those two other franchises allocate to the offense is far superior to what the bills do 

Offense and Defense. Look at the Eagles Bengals San Fran etc…. When using an eye test our rosters are not comparable. I also don’t think our staff’s our comparable either.

I’m not sure this is a quick fix. It may get uglier before it gets better.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

Offense and Defense. Look at the Eagles Bengals San Fran etc…. When using an eye test our rosters are not comparable. I also don’t think our staff’s our comparable either!

All 3 of those team have offensive minded gurus too…. Look what Shanahan can do with Purdy… for god sake imagine if he had JA.

Now imagine if Demeco Ryan’s had JA

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Offense and Defense. Look at the Eagles Bengals San Fran etc…. When using an eye test our rosters are not comparable. I also don’t think our staff’s our comparable either.

I’m not sure this is a quick fix. It may get uglier before it gets better.

Eagles rebuilt their team in 2 years and with a rookie QB. One off season of changes and they can be fine. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

If we are going to be realistic, the scoreline flattered us big time.

And this one is also on Beane - he has not nailed a single defensive draft pick, whilst criminally neglecting the O-line.

There is obviously an element of bad luck with the injuries to Von and Micah, but that should have been offset by the weakened Bengals O-line.

What a depressing end to what was a promising season.

Rousseau is a very good and ascending player. Could become elite next year.

Oliver was very good most games and took over the Thanksgiving game.

There is a reason the Bills led the NFL in stuffs and at putting teams in 3rd and 11+ and 3rd and 7+.

This wasn't anyone's best game but I think this is a pretty big overreaction.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I did as well but would like to give Josh an additional weapon at TE behind Knox.   OG’s and WR is a must!

I wish we got Knox involved more both today and all season. 

For all the pressure we saw I’m not sure there was a single ball thrown to Cook either. 

This staff has been rumbling about pass catching WR for 5-6 years and never throws them the ball anyways. It is stuff like that that makes me have a bit of distrust in McBeane even though I want to believe. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Rousseau is a very good and ascending player. Could become elite next year.

Oliver was very good most games and took over the Thanksgiving game.

There is a reason the Bills led the NFL in stuffs and at putting teams in 3rd and 11+ and 3rd and 7+.

This wasn't anyone's best game but I think this is a pretty big overreaction.

I am full of alcohol.and.it.is.just after lunchtime in my neck of the woods so you might be right.

I just ask that you cut me.some.slack.as i am uber depressed.

• Sad 1

Hindsight is 20/20, but McBeane failed to read the room last year. 

Team should have drafted Breece Hall instead of Elam, George Pickens instead of James Cook, and attempted to reload the offensive line. The answer to beating Mahomes (and now Burrow) wasn't "play better defense" it was keep adding weapons and lean into a MVP caliber QB. 

They've consistently missed on draft picks, failing to stock the cupboard with cheap, young talent under control, and now it's all come home to roost. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

All 3 of those team have offensive minded gurus too…. Look what Shanahan can do with Purdy… for god sake imagine if he had JA.

Now imagine if Demeco Ryan’s had JA

Since all of us are playing mock GM and blowing up this team this offseason, here is a fun thought exercise.  What would you give up for Shanahan over McD?

And what would it take for SF to say yes? I am guessing they would demand Allen and picks. Maybe even Diggs too?

Would you? 

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Eagles rebuilt their team in 2 years and with a rookie QB. One off season of changes and they can be fine. 

That’s you assuming McD is the guy. His defense is the right scheme and Dorsey offensively can out coach or hand with guys like Siriani, Shanahan, Taylor and Reid… I don’t see it. No way, don’t care who the players are.

Fact is the players are not gonna see it either. I think players know enough and see enough of this game and these personnel groups and coaches…. Buffalo is unattractive once again!!! It’s bad. Believe it or not, but this team will be no better than Division Champs. AFCE titles.

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

They haven’t done anything the Bills have to date.

Exactly 

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

That’s you assuming McD is the guy. His defense is the right scheme and Dorsey offensively can out coach or hand with guys like Siriani, Shanahan, Taylor and Reid… I don’t see it. No way, don’t care who the players are.

Fact is the players are not gonna see it either. I think players know enough and see enough of this game and these personnel groups and coaches…. Buffalo is unattractive once again!!! It’s bad. Believe it or not, but this team will be no better than Division Champs. AFCE titles.

I think you’re assuming that changes won’t be made having one of the wealthiest owners in football and Josh Allen still makes this a preferred destination 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Since all of us are playing mock GM and blowing up this team this offseason, here is a fun thought exercise.  What would you give up for Shanahan over McD?

And what would it take for SF to say yes? I am guessing they would demand Allen and picks. Maybe even Diggs too?

Would you? 

Crazy talk lol…. Start with Frank Reich. He can bring a guy back like Pep Hamilton as OC.

how can fans not seriously think that’s better for JA than Ken Dorsey???!!

Thats just a start….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Exactly 

That’s the point. Your clamoring the Eagles made changes and whelp, sit when Buffalo did in two years, right string dance time they played in championship game last. There’s no promise or guarantees in this game. Be careful what you wish for, might get aGruden to Tampa result, or a …. As took over for Marty in KC. 
Fixes need to happen for sure that’s clear, but you also have to consider 31 other teams are doing the same…mostly, I mean the Jets and Cleveland gonna do what they do. lol

Poll. Just Give me a thumbs up if... You did an eyeroll everytime Josh went with the long ball today when a checkdown receiver was wide open.

We were watching on Spectrum DVR and found an egregious example of this where Cole Beasley was running around frantically wide-open on the 1st down line--and of course Josh unsuccessfully threw the bomb to the end zone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.