Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I like the way KC plays defense.  Sure they get beat on big plays and at times teams go up and down the field on them but their theory seems to be that we're going to play aggressive and take chances which will create a TO and a couple of 3 and outs that our offense will feast on. And if we do get into a shoot out we have the best shoot out offense in the NFL.

We don't ever try that. The one time we put all the guys at the line to try and rush they played 7 or so yards off of chase on a 3rd and 2. All Burrow did was flick a quick pass to him and he easily ran for the first down. So instead of bringing that pressure and forcing burrow to make the tougher fade pass we just let him make a quick one for the easy first down. Bringing pressure while playing that far back defeats the purpose of said pressure but that's the Frasier way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Oddly enough, I am less upset about this loss than I have been over any other regular season loss over the last two years. They just played that badly and it made me realize that they would’ve had no chance going any further anyway.

I feel the same way.   The season has felt incredibly long and I think the team was spent.    That said, I dont feel emotional about it because the Bills never really put up a fight.  There was no emotion in the game to feed off of.  The game was over after the first two Bengals' drives.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’ll tell you what this defense gets inflated numbers on backup QBs and bad offenses. All the money they stuck on the defensive side of the ball and every big game when they need a stop they don’t get it 

But even backup rookie QBs play us tough lately. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

We don't ever try that. The one time we put all the guys at the line to try and rush they played 7 or so yards off of chase on a 3rd and 2. All Burrow did was flick a quick pass to him and he easily ran for the first down. So instead of bringing that pressure and forcing burrow to make the tougher fade pass we just let him make a quick one for the easy first down. Bringing pressure while playing that far back defeats the purpose of said pressure but that's the Frasier way.

You absolutely have to play press man if rushing that many. Tre was 7-8 yards off the wr.  Frazier has no clue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I like the way KC plays defense.  Sure they get beat on big plays and at times teams go up and down the field on them but their theory seems to be that we're going to play aggressive and take chances which will create a TO and a couple of 3 and outs that our offense will feast on. And if we do get into a shoot out we have the best shoot out offense in the NFL.

And again only 1 star player Chris Jones, then a bunch of dogs with a river boat gambler DC

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I feel the same way.   The season has felt incredibly long and I think the team was spent.    That said, I dont feel emotional about it because the Bills never really put up a fight.  There was no emotion in the game to feed off of.  The game was over after the first two Bengals' drives.  

I was thinking about the Tampa game last year where the bills were getting absolutely annihilated the first half. They came back to tie and go to overtime(down 27 points I think) . I never felt the bills were gonna come back after they went down 14-0 today. They were just so lack luster and no fire 

A lot invested in the DL, but it’s embarrassing.  OL, especially Dawkins, didn’t hold up to what we expect. 

Diggs cussing out Allen & leaving locker room right after game is concerning. Emotions run, but that’s not captain-like. 

Draft OL, DT/DE, S, 

This game proved once and for all that all that stat crap like DVOA and all the other random numbers people use to tell us how great this team is doesn’t mean sht.

This team hasn’t passed the eye test since since the first quarter of the season. They’ve been playing sloppy football and beating up on crappy teams.

On offense - I’d seriously consider letting Dorsey go. There has been ZERO flow or rhythm to this offense most of the season. Dorsey’s gameplan is backyard football. Hike the ball and let Josh make a play. There’s been way too much pressure on Josh to play perfect every game in order for us to win.

On Defense - Frazier needs to be fired. This defense is a joke, I don’t care what the stats say. Any time we line up against an elite team we get steamrolled. They don’t even put up a fight. 

Personnel wise - Beane needs to take some heat. How many first and second rounders on the D-line were invisible against a practice squad o-line. Rousseau is the only one I’d keep. Oliver is over rated and needs to go after his 5th year. Basham - bust. Epenesa - bust. 

We need to completely retool both lines because when we lose it’s because our trenches get destroyed. Take the next 2 years and get a bunch of mean, nasty physical offense and defensive lineman to change the character of this team.

They are too soft. Too finesse. Too much is put on Josh’s shoulders he’s the only tough bastard out there.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not even sure why I’m thinking of this but when was the last time we hit a screen for a decent gain? One to the rb? Not sideways one to a WR. Or also where was that jet sweep? We used to kill them with McKenzie on them all the time. This entire season was such a waste of time 

CJ Spiller?

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You absolutely have to play press man if rushing that many. Tre was 7-8 yards off the wr.  Frazier has no clue.

Exactly and I honestly can't stomach another season of that defense. It's so frustrating to watch and teams take advantage of it time and time again. This was playoff football and instead of trying to play with intensity he was fine with letting Joe Burrow smack him in the face over and over again. And we wonder why players on this team fold quickly when it's going bad. There is nothing from that coach that says I'll fix it next drive, instead we go out and do the same dam vanilla crap we always have.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not even sure why I’m thinking of this but when was the last time we hit a screen for a decent gain? One to the rb? Not sideways one to a WR. Or also where was that jet sweep? We used to kill them with McKenzie on them all the time. This entire season was such a waste of time 

Fred Jackson on September 24, 2011.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh but Spags is 5 times the defensive coach the clown we have is just ask Tom  Brady 

I cant disagree. He doesn't have great defenses during the year but they seem to get better in the playoffs. Ours gets worse season after season from regular season to playoffs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, major said:

Did our Super Bowl window close today? I felt we should have gone in 2020 and 2021. What’s crazy is that I think we would have won both of those games too. 

Much harder. Allen contract. Jac and Lac only getting better. 

3 minutes ago, gr8billsfan said:

A lot invested in the DL, but it’s embarrassing.  OL, especially Dawkins, didn’t hold up to what we expect. 

Diggs cussing out Allen & leaving locker room right after game is concerning. Emotions run, but that’s not captain-like. 

Draft OL, DT/DE, S, 

Not sure what to think but I didn’t like Diggs actions on the sidelines as the game was ending. I can’t speak about leaving the locker room right after the game. I u derstand the frustration but he needs to act a bit more mature.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Exactly what I said. They were emotionally and mentally spent. That manifests physically last, but when it does it looks like an all out collapse.

Allen echoed it saying "We just didn't have it today"

That’s what it looked like- Like they were mentally spent. I don’t doubt that all the physical and emotional  obstacles they’ve endured throughout the season finally caught up with them. It didn’t help that the play calling was pedestrian. 
I think they were simply due for a ‘let-down’ game and this was it. 
in some way, I’d rather it happen now than in the Super Bowl. They would have been saddled with that Bills losing super bowls stigma going forward, making it harder to get there again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Georgia Bill said:

Are the Bengals really that much better than us, or did the Bills just run out of gas?

They’re a lot better than us across the board. Fans have to let go of these love affairs they made with these players. They aren’t very good.

Are the Bengals really that much better than us, or did the Bills just run out of gas?

Give me Miller, the Tre White we drafted, and Hyde back and I'd love to see this game run back.  The teams that were on the field today I'd give it to the Bengals 9 out of 10 times.

2 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

This game proved once and for all that all that stat crap like DVOA and all the other random numbers people use to tell us how great this team is doesn’t mean sht.

This team hasn’t passed the eye test since since the first quarter of the season. They’ve been playing sloppy football and beating up on crappy teams.

On offense - I’d seriously consider letting Dorsey go. There has been ZERO flow or rhythm to this offense most of the season. Dorsey’s gameplan is backyard football. Hike the ball and let Josh make a play. There’s been way too much pressure on Josh to play perfect every game in order for us to win.

On Defense - Frazier needs to be fired. This defense is a joke, I don’t care what the stats say. Any time we line up against an elite team we get steamrolled. They don’t even put up a fight. 

Personnel wise - Beane needs to take some heat. How many first and second rounders on the D-line were invisible against a practice squad o-line. Rousseau is the only one I’d keep. Oliver is over rated and needs to go after his 5th year. Basham - bust. Epenesa - bust. 

We need to completely retool both lines because when we lose it’s because our trenches get destroyed. Take the next 2 years and get a bunch of mean, nasty physical offense and defensive lineman to change the character of this team.

They are too soft. Too finesse. Too much is put on Josh’s shoulders he’s the only tough bastard out there.

We gotta drop the culture BS. We need some bad dudes to play a team like the Bengals. They have actual criminals and we have milk drinkers.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was an utterly exhausting season for the Bills even if you only factor in the constant decimating injuries. All the snow plus Damar and the Tops shooting—— it had to be emotionally draining. 

I don’t want to make excuses but no other team has had anywhere near as many issues.

4 minutes ago, major said:

Did our Super Bowl window close today? I felt we should have gone in 2020 and 2021. What’s crazy is that I think we would have won both of those games too. 

It will close when Allen retires. However, there is some work to do. With player personnel and in the coaching room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Governor said:

They’re a lot better than us across the board. Fans have to let go of these love affairs they made with these players. They aren’t very good.

I guess we will see next year when we play hopefully unburdened without all of the crazy s**t that's happened this year 

Just now, Big Turk said:

I cant disagree. He doesn't have great defenses during the year but they seem to get better in the playoffs. Ours gets worse season after season.

Playoffs are one and done you can't play scared, but if you build the team right around an amazing weapon like Josh you can throw caution to the wind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.