We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

1 minute ago, teef said:

If this means anything to anyone, Dr. Chao was doing an interview, and he mentioned that he felt it was unlikely tua would even play. It could happen, but it didn’t seem likely. 

Also the guy that said Josh would be out multiple weeks, only to have him play the next Sunday. I do respect him, but take it with a grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

It won't be the league, it would have to come from social pressure.  If there is no real talk from sports writers, talking heads and tons of twitter talk then that could pave the path for him seeing the field (provided he passes the medical tests).   If there is lots of talk about it, then I don't see how they start him.

Respectfully, if he's medically cleared and Miami wants to start him, I don't see social pressure changing that.

Now whether or not there are any doctors out there who actually WOULD clear him is an entirely different question. But if there are, and if he has legitimately progressed through the protocol and is cleared in time for the game...I just don't see Miami essentially forfeiting the season (which is basically what they'd be doing by starting Thompson or Bridgewater) due to social or media pressure.

Speaking of pressure, there is enormous pressure to win in the NFL.

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

Most  people who think Tua is starting haven't thought it out much. 

Of course it's a huge risk for Tua, but the real reason is the incredible risk it would be to the league.  If Tua gets Mike Whitishly pulverized and goes unconcious from it, or even has to leave the game, the whole wild card weekend of playoffs is overshadowed.  The league can not have another D Hamlin type event during wild card weekend.

Miami will get a discreet phone call and publicly announce how they are going to be cautious.  The alternative of risking tens/hundreds of millions to the league in terms of goodwill won't be allowed.  Miami has already been exposed for working outside the rules, the league shouldn't let them risk it.

Plausible. 

Just now, Logic said:

Respectfully, if he's medically cleared and Miami wants to start him, I don't see social pressure changing that.

Now whether or not there are any doctors out there who actually WOULD clear him is an entirely different question. But if there are, and if he has legitimately progressed through the protocol and is cleared in time for the game...I just don't see Miami essentially forfeiting the season (which is basically what they'd be doing by starting Thompson or Bridgewater) due to social or media pressure.

I think Miami should have to forfeit the season because of Filthy Beast.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

To those saying that the league will somehow step in and not let Tua play...

I'm not really sure what mechanism they would have to be able to do that.

If doctors clear Tua from concussion protocol, I don't see how there's anything the league can do about it.

They as a league can not WANT him to play, sure, but I don't see them having much choice.

I'm not sure what mechanism Goodell had for inventing the new AFC playoff structure, except "best interests of the league," which empowers the Commissioner to do a lot of things.  Tua not playing on Sunday seems to me to be very much in the league's best interest, given the possible consequences.  

But you're probably right that the league is very much hoping that the Dolphins and the doctors who examine him will "do the right thing" so they don't have to step in.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Though it's a gamble. If he suffers another concussion on the field the uproar will be deafening and pressure will be for the NFL to act against Miami as warning aftee warning has been missed.

The big issue with Tua is the scrutiny - having his clear concussion against the Bills ignored, and then fencing in Cincinnati, before going down under a relatively soft hit against the Packers. Experts have come out saying he shouldn't take the field again this year.

They make the call, then they have to prepare themselves to accept the consequences. And so does Tua.

5 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Also the guy that said Josh would be out multiple weeks, only to have him play the next Sunday. I do respect him, but take it with a grain of salt. 

Yes, well, an elbow injury is slightly different from a head injury.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

AConcussion protocal isnt something you can fake your way through.  Aside from teams fudging things, the only way to beat it is to throw off your baseline test before the season starts.  Theres some type of vitals test involved you cant talk your way around

You could be good enough to answer the baseline questions correctly - and still have other symptoms (headaches, dizziness), and not be truthful that you are having those symptoms.  That is my point - as part of the assessment there are things that rely on including the person being truthful about their symptoms.  It's not an exact science

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

I do want to make clear that I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference whether Tua plays.  We're going to stomp the ***** out of them whoever plays QB and I'm not "afraid" of Tua playing -- particularly when he hasn't even engaged in football activity in weeks and hasn't beaten a team with a winning record since (checks notes) before Halloween.

I'm just saying the league is keenly aware of its image and of what could happen if Tua plays and suffers another concussion... or worse.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

It would be a behind the scenes directive from Roger.  Miami could have found a doctor to clear him, we already saw that with the "back" injury.  It's just that this time, the league won't let them.  Way too much at stake.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's kind of where I'm at with your meme game.

Just post your eye roll emoji and move on please. 

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I've been running this conspiracy theory in my head almost all season, and hope it's true. Likely not though.  I think McD, Frazier and Dorsey are all confident in their respective schemes and execution is the only thing holding this team back from being truly dominant.  

Just crush my dreams…jeez

I totally agree on the defensive side but holding out hope for Ken. 

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

behind the scenes directive from Roger.  Miami could have found a doctor to clear him, we already saw that with the "back" injury.  It's just that this time, the league won't let them.  Way too much at stake.

After the debacle with Tua 1,2,3. Add Hamlin (different but serious health related). I have to agree--the league has to consider the greater damage to the player and  hate to say it, the brand. Can you imagine if something bad happened? That would be devastating from so many angles. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BRH said:

I do want to make clear that I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference whether Tua plays.  We're going to stomp the ***** out of them whoever plays QB and I'm not "afraid" of Tua playing -- particularly when he hasn't even engaged in football activity in weeks and hasn't beaten a team with a winning record since (checks notes) before Halloween.

I'm just saying the league is keenly aware of its image and of what could happen if Tua plays and suffers another concussion... or worse.

To add to that, from a personal perspective I wouldn't want to see it.  If Tua got carted off with a head injury my enjoyment of the game would be affected (as would many others I imagine).  The recency to the Hamlin trauma would make me more sensitive.

If I were running the league, I wouldn't allow Tua to play.  And certainly not McDaniels/Miami, their track record is terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They finished 2nd in the NFL allowing only 17.5 PPG and are the #1 RZ D in the NFL. 8th in yards.

They'll be fine.

Why do people make it out like other teams defenses that are much worse than ours somehow are great while ours sucks?

Cincinnati. Worse D 

Chargers. Worse D 

Chiefs. Worse D 

Ravens. Worse D 

Dolphins. Worse D 

Jaguars. Worse D 

The Bills have the best D of any team in the AFC playoffs. Those are the facts.

I get that but it comes down to there Dline against our oline , and vice versa… I just hope our oline can hold up and on the flip side our Dline can get pressure. With all the great Qb play in the AFC… I think that’s what it comes down too, but we do have a chance just like they do. And we’re playing at home unless we make it to the AFC championship. GO Bills 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I will say they probably weren't practicing today anyway but it's not a great sign though maybe they're just trying to look like they're taking it seriously. Either way though coming back after being out for multiple weeks isn't easy either.

It Tua starts no contact practice its pretty much assured he will play.  Probably know on Wednesday. Especially if he moves on to full practice on Thursday.  They arent going to waste reps on him if they dont think he will make it.

Edited by Scott7975

41 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Most  people who think Tua is starting haven't thought it out much. 

Of course it's a huge risk for Tua, but the real reason is the incredible risk it would be to the league.  If Tua gets Mike Whitishly pulverized and goes unconcious from it, or even has to leave the game, the whole wild card weekend of playoffs is overshadowed.  The league can not have another D Hamlin type event during wild card weekend.

Miami will get a discreet phone call and publicly announce how they are going to be cautious.  The alternative of risking tens/hundreds of millions to the league in terms of goodwill won't be allowed.  Miami has already been exposed for working outside the rules, the league shouldn't let them risk it.

Oh, I get it…but McNerd doesn’t care.

35 minutes ago, BRH said:

everyone will be watching Bills playoff games.  If Tua suffers 4th concussion, days after cleared to play after last concussion- holy *****, will the NFL be exposed as not giving a ***** about any NFL player, its all about $

44 minutes ago, BRH said:

I'm not sure what mechanism Goodell had for inventing the new AFC playoff structure, except "best interests of the league," which empowers the Commissioner to do a lot of things.  Tua not playing on Sunday seems to me to be very much in the league's best interest, given the possible consequences.  

But you're probably right that the league is very much hoping that the Dolphins and the doctors who examine him will "do the right thing" so they don't have to step in.

Well we know he's apparently allowed to "persuade" players to go to a team that they weren't interested in considering the Michael Vick story.

Prediction :) Goodell quietly steps in Wednesday:

"January 11, 2023:  The NFPLA in conjunction with the league office. Using an abundance of caution, the team physicians and independent neurological experts have recommended Tua Tagovailo remain in concussion protocol"   Boy, it would be so ugly from so many angles, if he got hurt.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I wonder if he might be at the game? Or at least record a video for the fans which is played on the screen?

i cant imagine any reason they wouldnt.

maybeeeeeeee you have a video on the ready, and in 2nd half in a close game you play it, and if not needed, save it for 2nd or AFCCG until needed. i understand it might not be as potent for the players that have seen and talked to him, and might again.... but the fans havent. theyll go bananas and also help fill the teams tank lol  id bet theyve had atlest discussed how to strategically use a video like that best

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Talking about "flipping a switch" is just nonsense that sports fans invent and then discuss.

It's not a part of reality, just like "trap games", "momentum", and tons of other commonly discussed sports topics.

These guys are pros; when the game starts they go out and try to play their best. Some games go better than others.

No one is coasting; no one is "saving the good plays for the playoffs," and no one is pressing harder on the accelerator in a playoff game.

We just have to hope that it all comes together in the right way for a few games, and we'll be back to the SB.

Luck is a real thing, as are injuries.  Let's hope both of those are on our side.

As a human i agree.

As a bills fan whos 3 years playoff stress hasnt been caloussed yet HOW - DARE - YOU!

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Are you talking about directly after? Or something else since then i missed? Also, out of curiosity, what exactly was the symptom you're referring to? I saw him crying, but seems like everyone was as well? Just curious

Concussion protocal isnt something you can fake your way through.  Aside from teams fudging things, the only way to beat it is to throw off your baseline test before the season starts.  Theres some type of vitals test involved you cant talk your way around

After the game he (Tre) talked about the week being a sh!tshow, think struggle to rest (talked about a 3am text), being super close being in that DB room, and seeing Damar collapse every time he closed his eyes. 

I'm not saying he shouldn't play, because every human deals with this kind of stuff differently, and for some playing might be best.  But I hope he's not feeling, not given, pressure to play regardless of his mental state. If he needs to be away from the game for awhile so he can climb back down from that state, I'd hope he's afforded that. 

Ultimately, being human and being treated as a human with emotions, is more important than the playoffs and SB

1 hour ago, BRH said:

For me, he's kind of in the same boat as Mitch Morse. I wish both of them would retire rich, and with whatever health they currently have. 6 concussions over a career us really scary. 3 in one season is terrifying

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

McKenzie

You really think so or just hope so?

10 minutes ago, KHAN said:

McNerd said he wasn't cleared for non contact throwing today, for whatever that's worth.

Day off usually anyways.  Probably Wednesday is when we will have a good feel for it.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No football activity on a Monday this many days into the protocol means he is in rough shape.  If he was going to play this weekend they would have put him in the non-contact jersey by now.  

It doesn't matter who they play at QB. Bills are going to destroy Miami.  

Go ahead and play him with a broken thumb. Then force two fumbles.

Um, there is normally no football activity on Monday for guys who did not play. 

The most football activity there is for anyone is "corrections" of mistakes and miscues, done in shells, for players who played the previous game.

Then Tuesday is a normal "NFL Day Off".  Players may get medical treatment, do a light lift or "recovery" aerobics.

Not until Wednesday will we know whether or not Tua is participating in practice or any football activities. 

But not participating M or T means little.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

He is still in stage one so correct.  Tua has zero practice.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays if he does. I can't (off the top of my head) remember the last starting qb who was out that long and came back and played good. I'm sire it's happened, just can't think of any

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.