Bills signJared Mayden release Rhodes

Einstein

Do not understand this move.

The Bills dabbled with this move awhile ago and Mayden is a fringe NFL player. 

Benford must be getting closer to a return, but Mayden is not going to see the field, he’s a journeyman. 

Waste of a roster spot.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Benford must be getting closer to a return, but Mayden is not going to see the field, he’s a journeyman. 

Waste of a roster spot.

He's a young player that they know. Unlikely to do any better at this point in the year unless they want to call Eric Weddle.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Waste of a roster spot.

Well,  we likely need someone who can play safety, and Rhodes ain't that guy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Mayden is 6’ 201 and ran a 4.36

I agree Benford is getting activated.  IMO Bills have been stashing Benford-for playoffs.

Benford ran a 4.46 and is 6’ 208.

Rhodes was keeping spot warm for Benford.

Benford and Morris - I predict both are playoff surprise playmakers 

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Waste of a roster spot.

Sir I don’t know if you noticed, but we’ve had some injuries at the safety position

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rhodes sucked. Which is why I never believed the excuse to deactivating Elam in order to play Rhodes. He was totally washed. Something has gone on with Kaiir behind the scenes. I am all but certain of it.

I liked Xavier, but he is getting long in the tooth looking at a bills youth movement here a little bit

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why we traded for Dean Marlowe at this point. He’s gotta be better than Jaquon Johnson. 

releasing Rhodes makes sense for the purpose of Benford or perhaps another d lineman for the patriots game

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This makes sense to me.  The Bills have to plan on Hamlin being unavailable for the foreseeable future.  The Bills need a safety on the roster in case Jaquan Johnson gets injured in a game.  The market of available safeties is probably pretty dry at the moment.  I checked a list of available safeties.  There are a bunch of names, but not a lot of them are recognizable.  Mayden spent some time on the Bills practice squad.  That means he has at least been exposed to the Bills playbook.  He played college football at Alabama, so he's had quality college coaching, and he happens to possess a very good combination of size and speed.  He can play both safety spots and has experience at CB too.  This is not to say Mayden is a great player at this point.  He was a UDFA.  He's almost certainly a project that needs to be coached up, but he's a warm body at a needed position with athleticism and upside.  

I don't think the fact that he was released from the PS means the Bills hated him.  The PS has been used by Beane to keep the roster balanced and fortify positions as needed.  If an area of the team is hurt by injury, Beane may decide he needs to add players to that position, and he'll drop players at another position Mayden may have been one of those drops.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the roster in training camp.  If he can get coached up, who knows. . .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Waste of a roster spot.

We don’t need safeties?

All players signed in week 18 are fringe players.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We don’t need safeties?

All players signed in week 18 are fringe players.  

We have: Dean Marlowe, Cam Lewis, Jordan Poyer, Jaquan Johnson, and now this guy. 

I just think Rhodes is a better player to hold onto because he has some size, and has started 127 games in the league. 

Tre White means a lot to us because he is a lifelong Bill, but he is struggling. Dane Jackson has had balls plucked off his head, Elam is always on the bench, Benford has been hurt all season. I think a rotation at corner could be beneficial. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Waste of a roster spot.

Unsure if you heard. The Bills lost their back up free safety who has been starting all season for an injured Micah Hyde. They need depth. 

They need somebody to fill in behind (likely) Marlowe and they need that person to get up to speed quickly in the event of an emergency. Marden has been here before so he’s ahead of the learning curve. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They needed a safety. I’m surprised they didn’t IR Hamlin tho instead of releasing Rhodes 

I am wondering if there is something symbolic or some internal significance to keeping a roster spot open for a guy who is fighting for his life in the hospital. (Total speculation)

St Joe’s used to put out a spare chair for the old wrestling coach who took his own life forever ago. Not a wrestler so I don’t know the whole background. But I do know the current wrestling coach removed it because suicide is a cardinal sin and shouldn’t be remembered.  (It seems incredibly poopy to go out of your way to be such an butt hole)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We have: Dean Marlowe, Cam Lewis, Jordan Poyer, Jaquan Johnson, and now this guy. 

I just think Rhodes is a better player to hold onto because he has some size, and has started 127 games in the league. 

Tre White means a lot to us because he is a lifelong Bill, but he is struggling. Dane Jackson has had balls plucked off his head, Elam is always on the bench, Benford has been hurt all season. I think a rotation at corner could be beneficial. 

So we keep Rhodes even if he’s terrible just because he has experience?

13 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Rhodes probably goes to the practice squad again.

Nah, he’s toast.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Mayden is 6’ 201 and ran a 4.36

I agree Benford is getting activated.  IMO Bills have been stashing Benford-for playoffs.

Benford ran a 4.46 and is 6’ 208.

Rhodes was keeping spot warm for Benford.

Benford and Morris - I predict both are playoff surprise playmakers 

I’ll add Micah Hyde 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Unsure if you heard. The Bills lost their back up free safety who has been starting all season for an injured Micah Hyde. They need depth. 

They need somebody to fill in behind (likely) Marlowe and they need that person to get up to speed quickly in the event of an emergency. Marden has been here before so he’s ahead of the learning curve. 

Mayden was on the Jets Practice Squad.  So, he needed to be signed to the 53.  Marlowe is on the Practice Squad (I think even though we traded for him) and IMO will most likely be called up before the next game.

Edited by Manther
Multiple copies of the same post deleted
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rhodes sucked. Which is why I never believed the excuse to deactivating Elam in order to play Rhodes. He was totally washed. Something has gone on with Kaiir behind the scenes. I am all but certain of it.

This post is incredibly disappointing to me. I have long felt that it is absolutely ridiculous for someone that likely wasn't athletic enough to even play highschool football, to openly say that an athlete that was able to make it to the NFL level "sucks", much less a guy that has had a career like this man has. It's okay to be critical and say that he just can't play at the level that is required, but they ALL deserve more respect than to be labeled like this.  If this week hasn't taught us that, I guess nothing ever will.  I had been really hopeful that Damar's situation would shift the perspective for at least a couple weeks, but unfortunately it only took a couple days for the venom to reappear.  We all really need to be better than this!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Never heard of him. Would like to Christian Benford out there at Safety. 

He has never played safety. They are ni5 going to teach him a new position at this point in the year.  Mayden has already been with the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

This post is incredibly disappointing to me. I have long felt that it is absolutely ridiculous for someone that likely wasn't athletic enough to even play highschool football, to openly say that an athlete that was able to make it to the NFL level "sucks", much less a guy that has had a career like this man has. It's okay to be critical and say that he just can't play at the level that is required, but they ALL deserve more respect than to be labeled like this.  If this week hasn't taught us that, I guess nothing ever will.  I had been really hopeful that Damar's situation would shift the perspective for at least a couple weeks, but unfortunately it only took a couple days for the venom to reappear.  We all really need to be better than this!  

Good grief. Gunner is one of the best posters on this board. Colloquial language about performance does not amount to venomous denigration of character. And the inference about Elam is likely true and interesting.

• Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

I don't consider sucks as being venemous. It certainly isn't intended that way. It is just short hand for saying he isn't good enough. I didn't play high school football, I'm not American. I did play and coach semi-pro soccer in the UK though - so I was athletic enough to get paid for playing sport. But regardless, I don't consider "sucks" to have the same venemous intent you do. Apologies if you read it that way. And nor do I mean to suggest Rhodes has always been terrible. But he is completely washed at this stage of his career. That's why he is now a guy flitting on and off practice squads. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.