Bengals playing dirty?

Herc11

Yes it appeared to be that way to our group too. Ironic the worst result of the night was from a clean play.

I do hope Taron Johnson and Josh Allen are ok.

The Hutchinson play was replayed as Josh was on the sideline getting retaped.

I saw the Johnson-Hurst nonsense in real time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Didn’t want to bring this up with all that happened, but Hutchinson has to get a hefty fine for that blatantly dirty play.

He should be fined AND suspended a game! The NFL needs to adopt a zero tolerance policy for anything deemed to be an attempt to intentionally injure a player. A simple fine simply isn’t enough!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

This has nothing to do with Hamlin's hit. However I saw this on Twitter. A dirty block in the back and drive Johnson into the ground on his head injury and then Hutchinson trying to roll into Josh's legs. 

Okay... that roll on Josh's ankle looked obviously intentional.

Not gonna lie... I kinda started hating the Bengals over the last few weeks. Something about their attitude really grinds my gears. And those videos don't make me feel any better.

However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment because their team and fans have been total class for the last 24 hours.

That said... if Taron or especially Josh are seriously hurt... I hate them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

I feel like this is much too soon to be having this conversation. 

As a team, coaching staff, and fan base they were as supportive as one possibly could be. I can’t imagine partaking in a conversation about this while Tee Higgins has been at the hospital for 24 hours.  they’re service at 8:55 tonight outside the hospital the same time Hamlin went down. Or the Bengals fans who went right to the hospital to show support for one of ours.

I really dislike this. 

• Disagree 11

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

As a team, coaching staff, and fan base they were as supportive as one possibly could be. I can’t imagine partaking in a conversation about this while Tee Higgins has been at the hospital for 24 hours.  they’re service at 8:55 tonight outside the hospital the same time Hamlin went down. Or the Bengals fans who went right to the hospital to show support for one of ours.

I really dislike this. 

While I 100% agree with the team and fan support AFTER what happened, this is prior to that. Of course I am not implying they wanted anything to happen on the level of what did. However, these two plays in the first 6 MINUTES of the game showed their mindset in how they were approaching this game.

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Taron kind of turned his body when taking on the block which put him in a bad position.  

The Hendrickson is terrible and a blatant attempt for a leg whip.  I’m surprised no one called him on it.  Dirty play

He did turn his back, at that point Hurst should of let up. He re-engaged and continued with a block in the back followed by driving Taron's face into the ground.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

I really dislike this. 

They reaped what they sewed.  

And I can both support their fans and players as classy and criticize dirty play at the same time.  Vontaze Burfict all over again. 

• Agree 2

Hurst' block was fine until he drove his head into the back of Johnson's head while he was face down on the ground.

The leg whip was straight up premeditated and dirty. He looks right at Allen's legs before spinning hard right at him. What a SC umbag

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Looked like they were trying to intimidate the Bills, to establish they were the tougher team. Not sure how it would’ve played out over the course of the game. I do know if Hamlin was simply out for the game, I would’ve had little to no faith in a secondary comprised of a 70% Tre White, Dane Jackson, Siran Neal, a hobbled Poyer, and the backup to the backup safety in Cam Lewis. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not gonna lie... I kinda started hating the Bengals over the last few weeks. Something about their attitude really grinds my gears. And those videos don't make me feel any better.

However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment because their team and fans have been total class for the last 24 hours.

I believe they quite drug testing in December so the dudes can juice up

7 hours ago, Special K said:

Didn’t want to bring this up with all that happened, but Hutchinson has to get a hefty fine for that blatantly dirty play.

The NFL minimum salary is $705K.   A fine really needs to hurt to be a deterrent.

7 hours ago, Herc11 said:

This has nothing to do with Hamlin's hit. However I saw this on Twitter. A dirty block in the back and drive Johnson into the ground on his head injury and then Hutchinson trying to roll into Josh's legs. 

It looks like he tried to roll and hit Allen but he completely missed.  (Or at least it looks like it from that video) The other one was started out as a clean block and he didn’t go onto his back till they were both falling to the ground… I don’t know how he stops since they were both falling at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, they were playing dirty.   They were jacked up beyond belief.   The Hurst thing I was a little less concerned about because it was in the act of a football play. 

The Hendrickson thing was complete garbage and should have been a penalty and a fine.   He even gives Josh a kick towards the end of his gymnastics routine.

They showed out as good stewards of the game after the Hamlin injury but the week leading up to the game and the way they came out punching shows me that they carry themselves with some serious arrogance.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They were complete trash until the the Hamlin injury. I've never been threatened with physical violence as much as we did as soon as we got close to Cincinnati.

Most changed after the injury, we're very respectful and legitimately cared about Hamlins health. But leaving the stadium a couple very small groups were talking trash about how they "layed out" Bills players. Some of them were confronted by other Bengal fans immediately but that was enough. Girl behind us said some disgusting stuff when Hamlin was being treated on the field. They immediately left after being called out. 

The Bengals and Chefs are now my two most hated teams. Can't stand their fans.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Seriously, don’t comment then. You aren’t better than anybody on these forums because we are talking about football. We CAN talk about Damar and football and not feel guilty.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Hendrickson clearly barreled rolled into Josh on purpose and that should be addressed.  Not sure so much about the Taron Johnson play, he turned into Hurst and got turned around after the initial collision.  Not sure you cannot continue the block there.   I don't think it should be a penalty if you go to block someone and they turn their back

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think Hutchinson clearly barreled rolled into Josh on purpose and that should be addressed.  Not sure so much about the Taron Johnson play, he turned into Hurst and got turned around after the initial collision.  Not sure you cannot continue the block there.   I don't think it should be a penalty if you go to block someone and they turn their back

It's tough. Yes he was blocking and Taron was turned around in the middle of it. But blocking in the back is illegal and Taron was definitely blocked in the back. Diving into his head after isn't exactly encouraged either. 

The Bengals were definitely giving extra physicality on their tackles...and then of course the dirty shot on Taron and the barrel roll nonsense on Allen.  The Bills already lost Taron and Hamlin nearly lost his life in a freak accident.

We will never know but this game being postponed in the most horrible of circumstances could have saved the Bills from even more injuries. 

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It's tough. Yes he was blocking and Taron was turned around in the middle of it. But blocking in the back is illegal and Taron was definitely blocked in the back. Diving into his head after isn't exactly encouraged either. 

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/illegal-block-above-the-waist/

ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.

Note: The prohibition applies to a player of the kicking team while the ball is in flight during a scrimmage kick.

The use of hands on the back is not a foul when:

a player is making a personal attempt to recover a loose ball

the opponent turns away from the blocker when contact is imminent

both of the blocker’s hands are on the opponent’s side. (If either hand is on the back, it is a foul.)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/illegal-block-above-the-waist/

ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.

Note: The prohibition applies to a player of the kicking team while the ball is in flight during a scrimmage kick.

The use of hands on the back is not a foul when:

a player is making a personal attempt to recover a loose ball

the opponent turns away from the blocker when contact is imminent

both of the blocker’s hands are on the opponent’s side. (If either hand is on the back, it is a foul.)

Taron didn't turn away on his own. He went straight at him, they met face to face. So by this definition it was a block in the back and illegal. Both hands on Tarons back. Thanks for proving my point

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

The Hutchinson roll was bush league. He literally springboards himself with his hands.

I doubt he was aiming to take Allen’s knees out. But he certainly flailed into him to create abandoned and reckless contact. That’s no way to play either.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I really dislike this. 

Lighten up Frances.

Hutchinson did injure Allen on that mickey mouse stunt.  Allen went to the sidelines limping and had his ankle taped up.  The video is irrefutable, it shows Hutchinson stop his roll, look to see where Allen was standing, and then launch himself into anther roll into Allen's  legs.

Not much of a gray area when you look at the video.  Should have been a penalty, should be a fine.  Dirty play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Taron didn't turn away on his own. He went straight at him, they met face to face. So by this definition it was a block in the back and illegal. Both hands on Tarons back. Thanks for proving my point

We must have watched a different play

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

100% they were playing dirty.  TBH, i think that's the book on the bills.  you have to play us dirty.  The D is super sound and disciplined, so if you can body them up and make them "make decisions" then you have an advantage there.  our wrs are small and use route running and separation vs physicality to get catches, and allen is a very explosive and streaky player, so you want to hit him to slow him down and make him second guess himself.

we have honestly earned (at least partially) our reputation of being a finesse team.  the irony is when we run the ball with intent (because of the pressure our finesse passing and allen threat O puts on teams) we mash up opponents pretty well.  until monday we had the longest streak of 100 yard plus rushing games.

I think the right mix of our running and gunning and we can use the dirtyness our opponents often play with against them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.