Bengals playing dirty?

Herc11

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I feel like this is much too soon to be having this conversation. 

As a team, coaching staff, and fan base they were as supportive as one possibly could be. I can’t imagine partaking in a conversation about this while Tee Higgins has been at the hospital for 24 hours.  they’re service at 8:55 tonight outside the hospital the same time Hamlin went down. Or the Bengals fans who went right to the hospital to show support for one of ours.

I really dislike this. 

The Cinci fans have been 100% class, as someone else said.  Many of the Cinci players have been great, and especially the coach.

Having said that there did look to be some dirty pool going on.  It's possible for all these things to be true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I feel like this is much too soon to be having this conversation. 

As a team, coaching staff, and fan base they were as supportive as one possibly could be. I can’t imagine partaking in a conversation about this while Tee Higgins has been at the hospital for 24 hours.  they’re service at 8:55 tonight outside the hospital the same time Hamlin went down. Or the Bengals fans who went right to the hospital to show support for one of ours.

I really dislike this. 

I understand your sentiment, but how their fans reacted has nothing to do with 2 of their players making dirty hits.  It also does not mean that Higgins is dirty.  Those two players who made dirty hits should be fined and suspended.  The NFL can do this now.  

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Taron kind of turned his body when taking on the block which put him in a bad position.  

The Hendrickson is terrible and a blatant attempt for a leg whip.  I’m surprised no one called him on it.  Dirty play

He didn't turn his body in his own. He was forced by the block. Look at his legs. That's not turning away on your own that's being forced. 

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Double post

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Disagree 1

I don't have much of an issue on the block to Taron. I've seen Dawkins and other lineman pancake a guy and then throw themselves on top of em. Luckily they've never hurt anyone, I think it was just an unfortunate injury.

The guy rolling on Josh? That was dirty AF. You can see him pause and then thrown himself at his knee. Super, super dirty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If the hit on Johnson wasn't a penalty (and it should have been - as they are supposed to "care" about player safety) the disgusting celebratory dance by Hurst after he saw Johnson laying on the turf injured should have been unsportsmanlike conduct.

image.png.e4fbddd7ab65402f8eda0826297ed9a4.png

• Agree 2

Yeah, the Bengals came out fired up, as predicted by their pre-game trash talking, and were putting it to the Bills.

Once again, we have an opponent show up more fired up to play than the "humble" (read:soft) Bills.

The Bengals came out into arguably the biggest game of the year and played with swagger and a hard edge, bordering on dirty and sometimes crossing over into it (the roll into Josh).

Sure would be nice to see McD get his team frothing at the mouth like a pack of wild dogs for once instead of coming out flat, getting pushed around, beaten up, and having to play from behind again.

56 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The Cinci fans have been 100% class, as someone else said.  Many of the Cinci players have been great, and especially the coach.

Having said that there did look to be some dirty pool going on.  It's possible for all these things to be true.

Agreed. ALL of that is true.

I think it comes down to Cinci playing with an edge. As the saying goes, "You dont want to injure your opponent, but you do want to hurt them". Hit them hard (cleanly) and inflict some pain.

Cinci was playing hard and doing just that, with some borderline dirty play. But hey, that's football. I dont fault them for most of it (except the roll into Josh). Play hard, hit hard.

Bills need to learn how to be the bully once in a while too.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t read the whole thread, so I dont know if it was mentioned but they tried hurtling our D twice too. 

They were definitely fired up and wanted to make a point, showing Josh isn’t the only guy that can hurdle. Though theirs didn’t look as pretty as Josh’s since the D did a good job tangling them up mid jump. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Definitely Hurst's attempted hurdle was akin to the Antonio Brown punt return against the Browns years ago. 

That was an attempt to show physical dominance. 

Him getting up and screaming. That was you can't handle us, you can't handle our intensity. 

Do you think Hurst's hurdle was dirty in some way?

I know most people feel the Taron hit was dirty but I don't know. Just seems like Taron was in an awkward position and the Bengals player just pancaked him.  If that was Brown finishing off a block on a Bengals defender I doubt we would call it excessive.

The roll into Allen's legs to me however appeared intentional and dirty.  Looks like he purposefully makes an extra roll into Allen's legs.  Regardless of intent it was contact below the QB knees in the pocket and he was not blocked into the QB.  It should have been a penalty.  People can hate on Brady all they want but this rule was appropriately put in place after his knee injury.  And it should be enforced. Honesty this should be enforced more than these subtle incidental blows to the QB head where the defender just touches a hand on the facemask or helmet with glancing non-forceful contact. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They were both cheap shots.  You can separate this issue from Damar's.  These plays happened.  Johnson was injured, and Josh could have been seriously injured with that leg whip/roll whatever it was.  The guy did it on purpose.....and should be fined.  

Of course, the big issue is Damar.  Hoping he comes out healthy and happy.

But the other incidents need to be dealt with.  What if Josh had been put out for the season?  

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Taron kind of turned his body when taking on the block which put him in a bad position.  

The Hendrickson is terrible and a blatant attempt for a leg whip.  I’m surprised no one called him on it.  Dirty play

It's not the block, which was excellent, but how he dipped his head at the end to make contact with the back of Taron's helmet.  Intentionally went out of his way to make that contact, which is illegal whether they are on their feet or on the ground, I would think.  It's much like hits on the QB that are legal but become a penalty when the defender tries to stuff the QB by landing on him with bull body weight which can separate a shoulder or crack ribs.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Agree 1

Only Higgins knows what his intent was and yes his shoulder hit Hamlin in the chest, but it also looked like he lowered his helmet under Hamlin’s chin/face-mask.  Bart Scott taking a lot of heat for suggesting it was dirty by Higgins especially since Hamlin is still in critical condition and Higgins clearly effected by it, but that’s how I saw it too.  

And I’d also say Cincy crossed the line of physical play to dirty/intent to injure the first 10 minutes of that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Only Higgins knows what his intent was and yes his shoulder hit Hamlin in the chest, but it also looked like he lowered his helmet under Hamlin’s chin/face-mask.  Bart Scott taking a lot of heat for suggesting it was dirty by Higgins especially since Hamlin is still in critical condition and Higgins clearly effected by it, but that’s how I saw it too.  

And I’d also say Cincy crossed the line of physical play to dirty/intent to injure the first 10 minutes of that game.  

I dont think Higgins' hit was dirty. I think the Bengals came to play hard, and Higgins took it to the Defense instead of letting the D hit him. The other plays were dirty, especially the roll into Josh.

Again, not the first time the Bills have let this happen. We consistently get physically pushed around and beaten up.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Taron went down and the blocker went above and beyond to smash the back of Taron's head and neck! Super dirty

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Do you think Hurst's hurdle was dirty in some way?

I don't think it was dirty.

He was going for maximum psychological intimidation. 

Try and hurdle, and if not, create a collision. 

And you could see that when he got up screaming. 

Hamlin, if it was his responsibility, came towards the LOS and Hurst just ran past him. 

So just a blown coverage either way. 

Bills started this game immediately on the backfoot by playing man and having Tre on Chase. 

No matter who you are, what team you play for, Burrow sees one on one with no over the top help? He's chucking deep. 

Hopefully the Bills learned that, because that only got that crowd into it even more. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I know most people feel the Taron hit was dirty but I don't know. Just seems like Taron was in an awkward position and the Bengals player just pancaked him.  If that was Brown finishing off a block on a Bengals defender I doubt we would call it excessive.

The roll into Allen's legs to me however appeared intentional and dirty.  Looks like he purposefully makes an extra roll into Allen's legs.  Regardless of intent it was contact below the QB knees in the pocket and he was not blocked into the QB.  It should have been a penalty.  People can hate on Brady all they want but this rule was appropriately put in place after his knee injury.  And it should be enforced. Honesty this should be enforced more than these subtle incidental blows to the QB head where the defender just touches a hand on the facemask or helmet with glancing non-forceful contact. 

The hit was questionable but after Taron was down to me it feels as if Hurst "salted the wound" by adding to it with an extra jump on like he was doing some kind of wrestling move/rubbing Taron's face in the dirt type of thing. In terms of Hendrickson, that was as purposeful as you can get and think the network showed it so it be on display for the league to see it. The refs had a bad night too as I still wondering what they saw to flag White on the first play of the game and wonder how they missed the holding on the Cincy TD. Then the "forward progress was stopped" on the non fumble is questionable, I would have liked to see a few angles to see when the ball starts coming out. 

Edited by The Jokeman

5 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I can't get on board with the Hurst play being dirty. I view it as aggressively finishing a play with a bad out come, sorry I know that will piss people off but it is what it is.

Hendrickson was straight up dirty. WTF was that other than trying to take out Allen?

It looks like he was trying to be dirty but failed miserably! Did Hendrickson even touch Allen? There wasn’t a flag because he never touched him, you can’t flag someone for trying to hit someone but doesn’t. Lol

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't think it was dirty.

He was going for maximum psychological intimidation. 

Try and hurdle, and if not, create a collision. 

And you could see that when he got up screaming. 

Hamlin, if it was his responsibility, came towards the LOS and Hurst just ran past him. 

So just a blown coverage either way. 

Bills started this game immediately on the backfoot by playing man and having Tre on Chase. 

No matter who you are, what team you play for, Burrow sees one on one with no over the top help? He's chucking deep. 

Hopefully the Bills learned that, because that only got that crowd into it even more. 

I agree...the Bengals offense was hyped

38 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It looks like he was trying to be dirty but failed miserably! Did Hendrickson even touch Allen? There wasn’t a flag because he never touched him, you can’t flag someone for trying to hit someone but doesn’t. Lol

He injured Allen on the play.  Yes he touched him.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It's not the block which was excellent, but how he dipped his head at the end to make contact with the back of Taron's helmet.  Intentionally went out of his way to make that contact, which is illegal whether they are on their feet or on the ground, I would think.  It's much like hits on the QB that are legal but become a penalty when the defender tries to stuff the QB by landing on him with bull body weight which can separate a shoulder or crack ribs.

Agree 100%

After Hurst pushed Taron to the ground, he lowers his head and launches himself headfirst into the back of Taron's helmet. Completely unnecessary and dangerous. He didn't just fall on Taron, it looked to me like he was trying to hurt him, why do that to a guy that's face first on the ground?  I was shocked at the time that a flag wasn't thrown for that. 

• Agree 3

If you look at the whole clip, instead of the shortened one, you can clearly see that Trey falls after contact with the Bills lineman, lands on his broken wrist, then pulls his legs up to try to avoid contact with Allen. 

It's literally the opposite of a dirty play. If I thought it was, there's no shot I would defend it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

If you look at the whole clip, instead of the shortened one, you can clearly see that Trey falls after contact with the Bills lineman, lands on his broken wrist, then pulls his legs up to try to avoid contact with Allen. 

It's literally the opposite of a dirty play. If I thought it was, there's no shot I would defend it.

He totally rolls into Allen on purpose, he could have easily fell forward thereby not even coming close to Allen, Instead he tucks and rolls in Allens direction catching Allens foot underneath him. He knew what he was doing and it was a cheap, dirty play.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

He literally stopped rolling for a half second, saw where Allen was, and then rolled into him. Saw it in real time and was just as dirty.

GTFO here with this homer bs

It was absolutely a purposely dirty play.

The Taron Johnson play, whatever. The Hamlin play, not dirty. The Hendrickson play was absolutely dirty.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

He totally rolls into Allen on purpose, he could have easily fell forward thereby not even coming close to Allen, Instead he tucks and rolls in Allens direction catching Allens foot underneath him. He knew what he was doing and it was a cheap, dirty play.

He fell in the exact direction momentum was taking him. He also landed on a broken wrist as he fell. The real-time video clearly shows there was no intent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

He fell in the exact direction momentum was taking him. He also landed on a broken wrist as he fell. The real-time video clearly shows there was no intent. 

Homer Simpson Simpsons GIF by FOX International Channels
was not something I noticed until mentioned and so maybe it’s power of suggestion. It does appear as if he slows/stops whatever sees Allen and does an extra little roll.🤷🏼‍♂️ 

no doubt the Bengals were fired up to play however. Taron, hard to say IMO and no doubt on the Hamlin injury, that’s just players doing their job. 

6 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

I don't know about that, looks like @DrDawkinstein is correct. He paused for a split second then it looks like he whipped himself around with the intent of rolling into Allen's ankle. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

His momentum which was almost non existent was carrying him forward, instead he tucked and rolled towards Allen to initiate contact. And the more I see of that Hurst play the dirtier it looks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

There's a lot of love between Cinci and Buffalo right now, so focus on that and the real reason you're here. Coming in here to die on this hill probably isnt good for anyone. Even if you truly believe we are wrong, no one has the pitchforks out for the Bengals, just let it go.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There's a lot of love between Cinci and Buffalo right now, so focus on that and the real reason you're here. Coming in here to die on this hill probably isnt good for anyone. Even if you truly believe we are wrong, no one has the pitchforks out for the Bengals, just let it go.

Even if they are a bunch of cheap shot, dirty , scumbags.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He injured Allen on the play.  Yes he touched him.  

I said looking at THAT video it doesn’t even look like he touched him. Also rolling onto a FOOT isn’t going get a flag, a fine and definitely not a suspension! Now had he leg whipped Allen the flags would have flown as well as fines.. 

2 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

Even if they are a bunch of cheap shot, dirty , scumbags.

Part of that is on the Bills for allowing teams to physically bully them like this, week in and week out. We're so "humble". Bengals came out fired up and ready to play hard and hit through the whistle. There are ways to prevent that but it takes a change in mindset. Dont have to be "dirty", but need to be ready to live on that edge. JP and Shaq sometimes get there. Diggs can get there but tough to set a team tone from the WR spot. Maybe Spencer Brown can get that hyped but he's too busy learning how to play his position.That's about it on this team. Incognito and Brandon Spikes used to be those dudes too. Feliciano a bit.

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

I said looking at THAT video it doesn’t even look like he touched him. Also rolling onto a FOOT isn’t going get a flag, a fine and definitely not a suspension! Now had he leg whipped Allen the flags would have flown as well as fines.. 

At THAT video you are correct, we don't see him rolling into Allens ankle, BUT we know he did AND we know Allen got treatment on the sideline because of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.