Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

I go away for 6 hours and all hell breaks Loose!

🤷‍♂️💙😊🎉💃

!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has said it all...Im not happy by this news. I am surprised and ecstatic!! YOU GO DAMAR HAMLIN Im watchin what you are gonna do now hermano. This story is nowhere near over. But we all have your back 100% Glory be to God and Thank you for answered prayers

WooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooT

WELCOME HOME BUDDY .....GO BILLS!~!~!!!!!!

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Just a gentle reminder that you, and you, and you (looking around the board) can all show agency. 

I would not for a moment diminish the power of Faith and Prayer, but as a friend of mine once said - "sometimes Prayer works best with tools in your hands and skill to use them".

Learn CPR, and support the public availability of AEDs at schools, amateur sporting events, professional sporting venues, libraries, and yes, houses of Worship.

Maybe we start a gofundme to make sure all Buffalo and Cincinnati area schools and sports fields are all equipped with AEDs?

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Maybe we start a gofundme to make sure all Buffalo and Cincinnati area schools and sports fields are all equipped with AEDs?

NYS requires that public schools have AEDs in the building and that HS students be taught how to use them in health class

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s a rule.  If they get stolen, it’s still a rule.

not sure if they are portable.  The need for them on the field is exceedingly rare.  CPR done correctly can suffice until someone shocks the kid

Serious question: Is there such a thing as a non-portable AED? The ones we've had at work and through the little league were all portable. Other than a hospital setting I can't imagine someone in need being brought to an AED

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Serious question: Is there such a thing as a non-portable AED? The ones we've had at work and through the little league were all portable. Other than a hospital setting I can't imagine someone in need being brought to an AED

I mean are they allowed to actually take it to the field if it’s for general use.  Any and all defibrillators are portable

Edited by Mr. WEO

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Does that hold true in all NYS schools, including those in areas where vandalism/theft on school property are things?

But I was more thinking of my kid's school, where some of the athletic fields were quite a long haul from the school buildings.  On the wall outside the gym doesn't help you on the baseball diamond.

I can't speak to the law, but as a practical matter expecting someone to locate and retrieve an AED in time during an emergency sounds specious. Probably OK in a reasonably sized office setting.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I can't speak to the law, but as a practical matter expecting someone to locate and retrieve an AED in time during an emergency sounds specious. Probably OK in a reasonably sized office setting.

well any AED would have to be retrieved from wherever it is.  Unlikely a person would drop within 20 feet of where one would happen to be stationed

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I mean are they allowed to actually take it to the field if it’s for general use.  Any and all defibrillators are portable

I have no idea what the school rules are, but the general use is a concern. If there's only one then you can't put it on the soccer field if there's also a lacrosse game going on - and even if there's one event you wouldn't want to take it from it's known location in case it's needed in the building.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

well any AED would have to be retrieved from wherever it is.  Unlikely a person would drop within 20 feet of where one would happen to be stationed

No doubt - that's why you're 'not sure if they are portable' comment threw me.

Edited by SinceThe70s

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I live in a community that lost a high schooler to a lacrosse incident years ago. The parents dedicated themselves to AED awareness, training and availability - the result was the local little league had enough AED's to go around and the coach of the home team had to check out an AED for every game which sat in the dugout. A point of emphasis during the training was how important the proximity of the AED was.

As a practical matter having one is better than none, but it would be great to see some portion of the 8 mill spent on equipping some communities with AED's and funding training. Probably easier said then done though.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kiva said:

Bills fans are bitter we were screwed out of one seed because of an injury.  He spent  1 week in the hospital. Did they diagnose him with a heart condition? Or was it just a fluke? It’s great that he’s healthy, but I understand the frustration and bitterness towards him and the nfl. 

Correction - we lost the opportunity to keep the #1 seed. If we had lost to the Bengals, and there's a 50/50 chance that we would have, then we'd be the #3 seed and our road to the Super Bowl would once again go through KC. So one could argue that we weren't screwed, but we may have dodged a bullet.

Either way, why would anyone have bitterness toward Damar?

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Correction - we lost the opportunity to keep the #1 seed. If we had lost to the Bengals, and there's a 50/50 chance that we would have, then we'd be the #3 seed and our road to the Super Bowl would once again go through KC. So one could argue that we weren't screwed, but we may have dodged a bullet.

Either way, why would anyone have bitterness toward Damar?

Normal fans wouldn't, of course.   I don't think you're talking to a normal fan here, though.

I'm not sure about the 50/50 chance, but finishing the game certainly didn't present any guarantees.  At the point where the game was suspended, Cincy was rolling down the field on our D and we had gotten stopped on 3rd down and left 4 points out there.  And, we were down 2 DBs.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

I want him to lead the charge next week against the Bengals. 

Beating the Bengals is likely necessary.  It might be the hardest game in history to get pumped up AGAINST the opponent though. I would not put Damar in that spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Beating the Bengals is likely necessary.  It might be the hardest game in history to get pumped up AGAINST the opponent though. I would not put Damar in that spot. 

I was thinking that the team should build Damar into the pregame. We honored the EMT’s, but maybe have them with the doctors lead the charge against the Dolphins.

Then have a video from Damar to start the divisional. 

With any luck he can lead the charge for an AFCCG and stand on the sidelines. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Who is this Coy Wire dude and why do we think he has inside skinny?

Unless they started a bunch of tests at UC I’d be pretty surprised if they’ve finished everything they want to do in 1 day, especially with a guy who is reported to still be “very very tired” and they don’t want to over-tax

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

One thing that’s stuck with me through all this recently is just his recovery time. I can’t find the exact sound bite but I’m pretty sure it was during the doctors press conference when Damar was traveling home where they said this type of progress is normally measured in weeks and months, not days. It’s pretty remarkable that Damar is almost home just over a week after he flat lined on the field.

It doesn’t matter the details of what you believe in, there’s someone or something out there watching over us. Positive energy/thoughts/prayers combined with perfect medical execution allowed Damar to be with us today.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

If this is true, I'm shocked we haven't seen this happen in the NFL on other occasions. Unless there is some sort of perfect storm that has to occur for it to happen. 

Basically, perfect storm or like getting hit by lightening if above is true. 

Commotio Cordis is what is sounds like from above statement if no underlying issue is truly present.  There are something like 30 cases recorded per year. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24572-commotio-cordis

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Basically, perfect storm or like getting hit by lightening if above is true. 

Commotio Cordis is what is sounds like from above statement if no underlying issue is truly present. 

So sounds like physically, Damar could probably play again. Mentally, probably not even if they were able to bulk up his chest padding so there was no chance of recurrence.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.