Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

As said, Eriksen was fully concious, breathing by himself and actually giving people the thumbs up when he left the pitch. Two very different scenarios. 🙁

He was down for 10 mins. 

21 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Poor communication on the part of the league to the many spectators at the game.   At the very least the league should make an official announcement the game is not being played tonight...go home and wait for more details.

It might be the league was trying to continue the game and both coaches threw up their hands and said heck no.  We just don’t know yet 

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Huh?  There was a detailed post up thread discussing the 5 reasons why this will be difficult to fix for the league.

If you are too emotionally upset to participate here now, why don't you leave the computer?

THIS thread is titled Hamlin injury if you wanna talk about the what if so, maybe start your own thread so I could ignore it

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It’s only been an hour so hey I guess you are right. In fact it should have been a simple decision, the reason it isn’t is because they are worried about $ Which makes it even worse.🤦‍♂️

To make a proper decision you need data. I’m not saying what’s right or wrong just give them time to process. This hasn’t happened before. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The fact that you’re putting stunned broadcasters on blast for not being articulate enough says a lot about you, none of it good.

First off, thank you for your post.

This is my 1st post since the injury.

This is unprecedented and the responses from some fans and tweets we are seeing are just out of line.

During this tragic moment it just seems in bad taste to do these quick "hot takes" one way or the other.

It took me a lifetime to know that sometimes the best thing to do is wait and take some breathes.

Something we are waiting to see if Damar can do on his own.  That's what is important.

I'll just wait for hopefully good news and do wish to stay on this board to stand watch with Buffalo Bills fans.

I will say I'm proud of Head Coach Sean McDermott and the Buffalo Bills Team on how they handled things.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

My best guess is that this is correct.  The Hit didnt look severe enough to cause commotio cordis, and if it did, he would have sudden vfib, and wouldnt have stood up.

I think a vascular injury, vertebral artery (neck seemed to take most of the blow) or aortic/subclavian artery rupture/dissection is most likely. Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

Was discussing with wife. We’re both physicians and this is what we think as well . One moment talking to teammates and the next, on the ground. Aortic rupture/dissection is likely - something caused blood from reaching the brain quickly. V fib from a hit to chest wouldn’t have been delayed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, muppy said:

I told my son when he called me long distance to check on me, I told him honey this is just a ***** slap to the Buffalo Bills. How much more adversity does one team deserve? ackkkkkkkkkkkkk....Im bitter tonight. and sad, and MAD. 

I dont have any more words.

I was thinking the same thing. Fate has really dealt us a bad hand this year but this? This is the worst thing that can ever happen to a player, his family, a team or their fans. Hamlin's health is the only important thing now and I just hope that the Bills can somehow recover. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I understand where you’re coming from, but I disagree.

Everyone immediately said to postpone. Announcers, Schefter, Florio, etc.

The NFL was the ONLY one to say take five minutes and get back to it.

they are also the only ones who actually have to make the call and send logistics through a full chain of people for approval and execution in real time.

”hey let them stretch while we get real time updates” isn’t crazy. Hell, goodell knew less than the coaches in that moment. 

the nfl made the right call tonight, even if not movie script perfect in getting there. It’s easy to want to be angry at someone but no one truly did anything wrong tonight it seems. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL comes out of this looking totally callous, like a second rate organization (of hypocrites) and this moment should be acknowledged for what it was, a horrible black mark on their history.  An organization with any sense of responsibility for their employees’ safety would treat them as human beings and shown leadership and earned respect by taking much more immediate action.  This is evidenced by the fact that he is laying in a hospital bed in critical condition having to be intubated.

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Yes, sadly you are correct.  I am praying for him, his family, his friends and teammates.  

World class 24 yr old athlete with immediate medical attention given to him. I feel he will pull thru fine. Prayers for Damar.

7 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Yes, sadly you are correct.  I am praying for him, his family, his friends and teammates.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

This is absolutely horrific.

I don't have followers, so please retweet if you feel so.

I have a feeling the nfl left it up to the coaches and McDermott offered to forfeit and Zac Taylor said no we’re not playing either.  I hope we find out if that ends up being the case because that would be a very classy move 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 4

My prayers for Demar Hamlin and his family.  This was so strange.  The tackle looked routine.   There was some impact as Higgins lowered his head, but to this degree of damage is hard to understand.  I've seen this once before in professional football where Tom Pate of the Saskatchewan Roughriders died on the field at Ivor Wynne stadium in Hamilton against the Tiger Cats about 50 years ago.  In this case I strongly feel Demar will make a recovery.  If anything is of benefit it is NFL players' superior physical conditioning.   I'm not going to think any other way.  

Please stop replying to ignorant posts. It only makes our job harder. If you feel the need to do something then report the post.

We are actively monitoring the thread right now and making decisions when necessary.

Again. Stop replying to these posts.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 16

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

Was discussing with wife. We’re both physicians and this is what we think as well . One moment talking to teammates and the next, on the ground. Aortic rupture/dissection is likely - something caused blood from reaching the brain quickly. V fib from a hit to chest wouldn’t have been delayed. 

Is that better for his chances?

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah I've read that too. It was in regard to these medical TV shows that show doc giving CPR and patient comes back and everything is fine.  But read that in real life, much rarer outcome.

it's actually not that rare in young, otherwise healthy people with heart rhythm problems.  The worrisome finding is that he might not be breathing spontaneously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Just take a look at what time the injury occurred, and what time the league called it.  It's readily apparent what the league was thinking.

what time did they call it internally? 

diggs was already in a towel before you and I got the announcement. 

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

they are also the only ones who actually have to make the call and send logistics through a full chain of people for approval and execution in real time.

”hey let them stretch while we get real time updates” isn’t crazy. Hell, goodell knew less than the coaches in that moment. 

the nfl made the right call tonight, even if not movie script perfect in getting there. It’s easy to want to be angry at someone but no one truly did anything wrong tonight it seems. 

The biggest issue from the NFL point of view was "give them five minutes and get playing". It may not have been head office that made that call; it may have been the officials trying to react in the moment. But it was not a good look.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

Why are we even talking the Bills forfeiting? 

It seems like the most simple path, and it is. 

But it’s wrong on many, many levels for the Bills to be punished because it happened to their player, and it’s just as wrong for the guilt trip decision to be offered to Buffalo of “Do you want to forfeit?”

For whatever integrity this league and this game still might have, they have to figure out the logistics of this somehow. 

What they do in response to this will genuinely impact the future of the league. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

They were probably giving themselves a chance to hear if they were able to stabilize damar in the hospital.  Not saying that was the right thing to do but it’s my best guess.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I was a little young to remember, but this seems worse than that. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong.  The question with Kevin Everett was, would he walk again

The question with Damar Hamlin is will he live, will he breathe on his own again

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Why didn't you quote the end of my messsge?  After pointing out it's going to be a nightmare for the NFL, I pointed out that isn't what matters here.

If they can make it happen they will. 

if not they will cancel and it’s no nightmare - just a 16 game season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.