1/2/23 Week 17 Gameday Bills @ Bengals Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Why do you think that?

He came up grabbing at it after an awkward tackle and did not look quite right for the rest of the day vs Miami.

I did not see the Bears game since I was busy navigating a blizzard in the lee of Lake Erie for 10 hrs but the fact that he only had two catches rings some warning bells.

I'll try to find some video of it.

The play in question starts at around the 7:20 mark

Edited by Simon
found vid
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

He came up grabbing at it after an awkward tackle and did not look quite right for the rest of the day vs Miami.

I did not see the Bears game since I was busy navigating a blizzard in the lee of Lake Erie for 10 hrs but the fact that he only had two catches rings some warning bells.

Simon, I swear I thought I saw that, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

It definitely slowed him down. It was the play where he was being held up around his waist and took a few hits. He should just go down in those scenarios.

Edited by Governor

If that's the case, wasn't there a game earlier in the year, where he was grabbing his hip right before halftime & stretching? KC game maybe, not sure which game it was. The sideline reporter gave an update on it right before the 2nd half started.

Joe Burrow quote after the last Bengals loss, Browns 32 Bengals 13. Joe Burrow after the loss: “They did a great job in their leverages and playing soft and making us check it down. They tackled really well," Joe Burrow said. "The last couple of weeks, we got teams out of that because we were able to break some tackles, and we got yards after the catch. You have to give them credit. They were great tacklers today.”

Burrow knows the value of yards after the catch. If the Bills D brings their A tackling game we will win. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

No doubt he should be able to play pain free on it. The worry is it becoming a bucket handle tear where the meniscus flips on itself becoming painful and restricting range of motion. I suspect he will not practice again this season and will be playing every game until we win the SB, are eliminated or until he gets a bucket handle. But if this tweet is accurate, it’s reassuring knowing he will be out there for us still

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Joe Burrow quote after the last Bengals loss, Browns 32 Bengals 13. Joe Burrow after the loss: “They did a great job in their leverages and playing soft and making us check it down. They tackled really well," Joe Burrow said. "The last couple of weeks, we got teams out of that because we were able to break some tackles, and we got yards after the catch. You have to give them credit. They were great tacklers today.”

Burrow knows the value of yards after the catch. If the Bills D brings their A tackling game we will win. 

Unfortunately our tackling is a little on the poor side.😬

• Agree 2

Thanks.  I appreciate your reply but I can't bring myself to "like" it, for obvious reasons. 😬

Thing is, if Diggs is injured and missing practice due to injury, Bills get in trouble with the League if they don't place him on injury report. 

See Hughes, Jerry.

I thought Diggs having only 2 catches had more to do with the fact that we rang up 254 yds on the ground, of which Allen contributed "only" 41

Cook and Motor were "having a day" and we just rolled with it.

Most of the targets went to the bigger receivers, Davis and Knox.  Shaq Lawson commented before the game that the ground was super-hard, and I thought they might be slanting the plays towards the bigger-bodied guys who might be able to stand it more vs. the "skinny boy club" as Shnowman would say

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

It definitely slowed him down. It was the play where he was being held up around his waist and took a few hits. He should just go down in those scenarios.

Yeah, he's definitely a stubborn SOB when it comes to getting his arse on the ground to protect himself

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If that's the case, wasn't there a game earlier in the year, where he was grabbing his hip right before halftime & stretching? KC game maybe, not sure which game it was. The sideline reporter gave an update on it right before the 2nd half started.

If it happened previously I didn't catch it.

Maybe it's been a nagging issue all year?

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Yes, hopefully the tackling is better today.  The Bills do a good job keeping the ball in front of them, outside of some blown third and longs.  What they havent been good at like in the last two seasons is getting to the ball and making the tackle.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

That's awesome that he's playing through it.  From what I understand the torn meniscus is just flapping around in there and doesn't really affect you unless is gets caught wrong then it locks you up and hurts like a B word 'til it moves again.  I know someone who has this issue but won't get the surgery and just live with it.  idk

Torn all 4 (2 in each knee). One of these was 40 plus years ago. I rehabbed constantly, played sports for another 20 years and have never had it give out or lock up. 
I Have never had surgery and am very fortunate but did not play professional football lol. Interesting sideline… I tore my first in 1977 up in New Hampshire. They wanted to do surgery. Called my Dad who said.. “Do you know what your Grandmother does? She is the Head Nurse for the Bills Orthopedic Surgeon (Godfried)”. Came home and saw his associate, Dr. Weiss,  who later succeeded Godfried). He put me on a rehab program and I have avoided surgery for 45 years! It will probably give out tomorrow 🙂.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Regarding the Diggs injury comments I think the team made a concerted effort to move away from a Diggs centered offense starting with the Browns game. Only way to win it all is to show that secondary weapons can beat you. For the most part it has worked. 6-0, RBs went crazy for 2 of the wins, McKenzie and Knox lead balanced attacks v Detroit and Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

No doubt he should be able to play pain free on it. The worry is it becoming a bucket handle tear where the meniscus flips on itself becoming painful and restricting range of motion. I suspect he will not practice again this season and will be playing every game until we win the SB, are eliminated or until he gets a bucket handle. But if this tweet is accurate, it’s reassuring knowing he will be out there for us still

Even if it is bucket handle I believe when it flips on itself it will also "unflip" so you can resume activity.  Its hit or miss, it can happen walking down the street, take a beat, and you're back to walking like nothing happened.

13 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Do we have an A tackling game? I think this matchup is interesting, in part, because they're a very good tackling team and we are not. 

4 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Torn all 4 (2 in each knee). One of these was 40 plus years ago. I rehabbed constantly, played sports for another 20 years and have never had it give out or lock up. 
I Have never had surgery and am very fortunate but did not play professional football lol. Interesting sideline… I tore my first in 1977 up in New Hampshire. They wanted to do surgery. Called my Dad who said.. “Do you know what your Grandmother does? She is the Head Nurse for the Bills Orthopedic Surgeon (Godfried)”. Came home and saw his associate, Dr. Weiss,  who later succeeded Godfried). He put me on a rehab program and I have avoided surgery for 45 years! It will probably give out tomorrow 🙂.

what was your rehab?  My father tore his meniscus, and has not been able to run or play tennis

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah, he's definitely a stubborn SOB when it comes to getting his arse on the ground to protect himself

If it happened previously I didn't catch it.

Maybe it's been a nagging issue all year?

It was definitely the hip and earlier this year when all the injuries were happening. I remember thinking, we're screwed, when are all this injuries going to stop.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Impossible. Saleh said he was going to see us again.

And he’s keeping receipts. Of what? We don’t know. But he’s keeping them. 

11 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

This is the least confident I’ve been going into a game in a long time. Maybe that means I won’t be so reactionary to every error or good play by the Bengals. I am infuriated that we put ourselves in this position though; if we hadn’t lost to one of the average at best Jets or Vikings…

Whatever happens we’re still in the Play Offs. Whatever happens we still have a chance.

You Brit’s are always so skeptical. 

17 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Alot of truth to this IMO. If you look at their schedule this year they have played alot of man coverage heavy teams, which works in their favor.

The Bills should be able to cause fits if they just play their game. One weakness I see is we don't do well on 50/50 balls and I see that being an issue tonight. 

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I've asked this question on here before, but WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH BILLS FANS??? I'm surrounded by Bengals fans and all of them to a person are 100% absolutely sure that they are winning the Superbowl. They're practically planning the parade. They've been that way since they beat KC. Requiring turnovers on 4 straight possessions to beat the Bucs and almost blowing a 22 point lead to the Pats did nothing to shake that confidence. What they don't do is dissect wins to the point where they feel like losses.  They also don't let opposing fans on their message boards, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Clearly they are not true fans of an NFL team. 

• Agree 1

My wife and I like to have game day food for road games that matches our opponents' city.  For example, at Baltimore, it was crab cakes. At New England, clam chowder.  Well today, it's going to be Cincinnati chili.  This recipe seems to be pretty good so I'll give it a go.  And, Go Bills! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDnpO51Uc

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Even if it is bucket handle I believe when it flips on itself it will also "unflip" so you can resume activity.  Its hit or miss, it can happen walking down the street, take a beat, and you're back to walking like nothing happened.

Not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure once it’s flipped it’s gonna be stuck that way and will require surgery to repair it or remove the torn portion 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

My wife and I like to have game day food for road games that matches our opponents' city.  For example, at Baltimore, it was crab cakes. At New England, clam chowder.  Well today, it's going to be Cincinnati chili.  This recipe seems to be pretty good so I'll give it a go.  And, Go Bills! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDnpO51Uc

With onions, cheese and cocoa powder, served on spaghetti. That Cinci 5-way chili.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Regarding the Diggs injury comments I think the team made a concerted effort to move away from a Diggs centered offense starting with the Browns game. Only way to win it all is to show that secondary weapons can beat you. For the most part it has worked. 6-0, RBs went crazy for 2 of the wins, McKenzie and Knox lead balanced attacks v Detroit and Miami. 

Haha…I got clipped for mentioning something about Xxxx xxxxx and a rumor ….meanwhile the board is full of Diggs rumors….Happy New Year

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

what was your rehab?  My father tore his meniscus, and has not been able to run or play tennis

Remember,  this was 45 years ago and it sounds pretty simple:

1. leg extensions and curls progressively moving up to very heavy weights (which I think they frown upon now).

2. Run figure 8’s (both ways)

3. Ice cold whirlpools

4. wore a brace for one year when playing sports

5. lots of stretching.

Like I said it sounds so basic and I must be very lucky.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I lived with it for around 15 years. Now I'm not athletic but I did used to bike a lot and workout. There was pain but it was come and go. I forgot about it most of the time until I got older and it became a big problem. 

I made it 6 years before I had the surgery. My knee would snag and freeze up on my way down stairs for some reason. Got sick of it. The surgery and recovery were fast and easy. I’m good as new now.

3 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Unfortunately I will be working tonight though I don’t get ESPN at home anyway and I am a recovering alcoholic so I don’t go to sports bars.

Fortunately I have a decent job and am a happily recovering alcoholic.  

Things could be worse.

I picked up my 60 day chip today with my Bills shirt and hat on and got a “Go Bills” from someone there.  I thought that was just awesome.

Awesome! That’s a win today, and everyday. Stay after it Apo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Juice_32 said:

I made it 6 years before I had the surgery. My knee would snag and freeze up on my way down stairs for some reason. Got sick of it. The surgery and recovery were fast and easy. I’m good as new now.

Yeah that's exactly where my issues came from..stairs. I had to sit and do steps one at a time lol. Fast surgery and recovery as well. He'll be good in the off-season. He needs a good nap. 

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I've asked this question on here before, but WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH BILLS FANS??? I'm surrounded by Bengals fans and all of them to a person are 100% absolutely sure that they are winning the Superbowl. They're practically planning the parade. They've been that way since they beat KC. Requiring turnovers on 4 straight possessions to beat the Bucs and almost blowing a 22 point lead to the Pats did nothing to shake that confidence. What they don't do is dissect wins to the point where they feel like losses.  They also don't let opposing fans on their message boards, but that is a discussion for another thread.

It got to me much more than I should have let it yesterday, I don't understand the quick to give up/defeatist mentality.

Anyway, I believe it's opposing teams fans.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah that's exactly where my issues came from..stairs. I had to sit and do steps one at a time lol. Fast surgery and recovery as well. He'll be good in the off-season. He needs a good nap. 

It also depends if you have it repaired, cleaned up or removed. Recovery time depends on the procedure.

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pete, I started to have arthritic pain in my knees about 10 years ago (due to the meniscus tears) and started an injection program (Orthovisc) through an Orthopedic Surgeon. If your Dads problem is pain, he might want look into this. If it’s locking, giving out that won’t help.

• Like (+1) 1