1/2/23 Week 17 Gameday Bills @ Bengals Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

🍸🧨HAPPY NEW YEAR, TBDers!🍾🎉

2023??  It’s been 60 years since our 1st playoff game vs the Patriots* SIXTY FREAKIN YEARS! It was a forgettable performance as they kicked the crap out of us in the Rockpile, only to get whooped by San Diego the following week in the Title game. Throughout our long history, only Jack Kemp and Jim Kelly were able to secure a road playoff win apiece -at San Diego & Miami respectively (though Rob Johnson was ROBBED!). But this old man digresses.. 

EDIT: Joe Ferguson led us to a WC win at Jets in ‘81 (Thank you @Billznut!)

The Herculean task for us this January evening is traveling to the defending Conference Champions’ place where Home Field and a Playoff Bye most likely await the victor. The Bengals may have shocked the world last year but they’ve been a worthy champion in their quest to repeat. Burrow has become a Face of the League and his trio of WRs are unmatched. They epitomize todays’ NFL with high-flying offense and floundering defense, for better or worse.

From the moment Kelce caught Mahomes’ endzone pass in OT, the Bills have been singularly focused on staying in WNY until traveling to the Super Bowl site becomes mandatory. Results to date have been mixed at best. Coaches and key FO people were poached (see Playoff-bound G-men). The Draft wasn’t supposed to produce an instant starter though we hoped it would. So I guess it didn’t disappoint. Our huge FA acquisition aimed at providing critical pass rush in crucial situations joins our All Pro Free Safety, out for the season with injury. Our Defense, while still good and among the best statistically, shows more vulnerability overall. It’s taken so long to see Aaron Kromers’ impact on our OL, we’re not sure it’s actually improved. More injuries here haven’t helped. We upgraded a number of skill positions, but with coaches opting to play musical chairs, consistency hasn’t developed. Offensive personnel on the precipice of greatness last January have fallen off hard this season, forcing our All-world QB to take it upon himself to Will the team to victory every week. He’s playing injured and sporadic as a result. 

Still, we’ve managed to scratch out 12 wins with 2 games remaining while securing our 3rd consecutive Division Title in the most improved Division in the sport. All while playing 10 of our current 16 games AWAY from Orchard Park, NY. 

So there’s that..

Most pundits don’t believe we have the team makeup to win tonight.

Most pundits think KC & Cincy are overall better teams than we are.

‘Some’ pundits think aloud were not a worthy Super Bowl Team.

We all find out TONIGHT!

Happy New Year!

GO BILLS!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Throughout our long history, only Jack Kemp and Jim Kelly were able to secure a road playoff win apiece -at San Diego & Miami respectively (though Rob Johnson was ROBBED!). But this old man digresses.. 

Joe Ferguson won a wild card playoff game at the Jets in 1981. Frank Reich won at Pittsburgh the week before Kelly came back vs Miami for the AFC championship game in 1992 season. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is the least confident I’ve been going into a game in a long time. Maybe that means I won’t be so reactionary to every error or good play by the Bengals. I am infuriated that we put ourselves in this position though; if we hadn’t lost to one of the average at best Jets or Vikings…

Whatever happens we’re still in the Play Offs. Whatever happens we still have a chance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

2023??  It’s been 60 years since our 1st playoff game vs the Patriots* SIXTY FREAKIN YEARS! It was a forgettable performance as they kicked the crap out of us in the Rockpile

Sorry Chandler but the Pats Bills game was at end of 1963 season so 59 years ago.  

6 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Sorry Chandler but the Pats Bills game was at end of 1963 season so 59 years ago.  

Well, as long as you’re sorry. The year number says ‘63. It’s 2023. 

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Joe Ferguson won a wild card playoff game at the Jets in 1981. Frank Reich won at Pittsburgh the week before Kelly came back vs Miami for the AFC championship game in 1992 season. 

Thank you for the correction. Don’t know how that slipped my mind 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hitting the road now. Just 532 miles to go.  Go Bills.  Let’s do this.  Really curious to see what the Bengals in stadium vibe is.  I’m on a win streak having watched them win @Baltimore, Steelers and NY Jets.  Missed my chance to see Cleveland in Buffalo.  But I’ll take 3-0 on the way to 4-0 and a sweep of the AFC North.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hear ya. We ALMOST beat San Diego in ‘80, ALMOST beat Cincinnati in ‘81 & ‘88, ALMOST beat Tennessee in ‘99, ALMOST beat Jacksonville in ‘17, ALMOST beat Houston in ‘19, ALMOST beat KC last January. ‘Cept we didn’t.. 

Our time for this team is running out. We MUST play at Home in the playoffs to advance, imo.

13 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m here trying to convince myself that the No.3 seed isn’t all that bad. We almost made it to the AFC championship game with it last year 

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hear ya. We ALMOST beat San Diego in ‘80, ALMOST beat Cincinnati in ‘81 & ‘88, ALMOST beat Tennessee in ‘99, ALMOST beat Jacksonville in ‘17, ALMOST beat Houston in ‘19, ALMOST beat KC last January. ‘Cept we didn’t.. 

Our time for this team is running out. We MUST play at Home in the playoffs to advance, imo.

We’re trying to convince ourselves a defeat isn’t a disaster. If we believe it is, we could be having meltdowns akin to fans of the Dolphins in about 16 hours.

• Eyeroll 1

Good Game Day Morning, TBD! .... There has been so much hype for this game it feels like the Conference Championship. I've got nothing to add to the hype. "Just win baby, just win!" That's all I got: Josh and the boys, just win!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd like to see them throw a bunch of new wrinkles on both offense and defense (not trying to lose the game,  obv).   Thinking flea flicker, Knox actually taking the snap after lining up as QB,  specific targets to Beasley, some interesting zone blitz schemes.   Continued commitment to the running game would be important as well.   This could be a very entertaining game with alot of back and forth.   Bengals run game is the part that worries me---Perine is one hard dude to bring down cleanly.  Tackling well is going to be very important.   Let's go Bills!

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

This is the least confident I’ve been going into a game in a long time. Maybe that means I won’t be so reactionary to every error or good play by the Bengals. I am infuriated that we put ourselves in this position though; if we hadn’t lost to one of the average at best Jets or Vikings…

Whatever happens we’re still in the Play Offs. Whatever happens we still have a chance.

Couldn’t agree more, just feels like Josh will either dominate or have his worst game of the season. I’m hoping for the prime time Josh we know is in there. 

• Eyeroll 2

One of, if not the most important games of the last 20 years and I am a physical wreck.

Tom Petty said it best, "the waiting is the hardest part."

After watching multiple games yesterday I am stoked for tonight but I am not prepared for a loss. I want that homefield, not just for the Bills but for all of the young Bills fans who have not experienced the craziness of a Championship game in Buffalo.

It would be a shame for the Bills to have the top seed for so many weeks only to give it up on the 17th week. So please Bills don't be the Bills of old and find some crazy way to screw this up. 

THEY'RE KILLIN ME WHITEY, THEY'RE KILLIN ME! GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

We’re trying to convince ourselves a defeat isn’t a disaster. If we believe it is, we could be having meltdowns akin to fans of the Dolphins in about 16 hours.

But it's true.  A win is great particularly for bragging rights and hearing the national media fawn all over us.  But the FACTS of the last couple of years is that there is little difference between the top 4 seeds when it comes to eventual success in the playoffs.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

The funny thing is I think there's still a great shot at 1 if we lose. Vegas moved the ball on the 9ers. KCs D isn't nowhere near SFs and the Ravens always play the Bengals tough. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. But the door isn't completely shut with a loss. A win is the easier path. Let's go in the that door ☺️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We all know what Josh needs to do, here’s to that happening. No mercy!

GO  Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But it's true.  A win is great particularly for bragging rights and hearing the national media fawn all over us.  But the FACTS of the last couple of years is that there is little difference between the top 4 seeds when it comes to eventual success in the playoffs.

And the Bengals got to the Super Bowl last year from, was it the fourth seed?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Time running out? Wow. Riddle me this. How many 1 seeds have won the SB Vs all other seeds? I know this year is different with the bye but still. Anyone have that data handy?

GAMEDAY BILLS FANS!

What a great morning to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills!

This is the game we have been waiting for to take that huge step to the #1 seed.  This is what we all hoped for back in September.

Big games mean you need your big players to step up and get it done.  But let's not forget that big plays can come from anyone.

TEAMS win football games, and we need the whole TEAM to get it done and come home with the W!

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Simon pinned this topic
17 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

The funny thing is I think there's still a great shot at 1 if we lose. Vegas moved the ball on the 9ers. KCs D isn't nowhere near SFs and the Ravens always play the Bengals tough. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. But the door isn't completely shut with a loss. A win is the easier path. Let's go in the that door ☺️

But do you trust the Ravens to beat the Bengals?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm usually pretty laidback, but I'm sort of dreading tonight.  We haven't played a very good team since the Chiefs game, so it's hard to say where we're at with regards to the rest of the top dogs at the moment.  The games against average-to-above-average teams have all been relative nail biters.  Obviously, I believe we can win, but in the back of my mind there's this little voice telling me that we are due for a complete dud of a game where everything seems to go wrong.  This being a big primetime game gives me some comfort at least since we seem to save our best for these moments.

By the way, if we lose tonight, any chance we'd rest our starters (aka manufacture our own "bye week") next week?  I think I'd rather face the Ravens at home in the first round than have to play the Dolphins for a third time.

Edited by TheBrownBear