The Bills ended Don Shula’s coaching career with a loss…will they do the same to Belichek?

dollars 2 donuts

I can’t help but think that BB may be out in New England after the 8th. Speculation seems to be that Kraft may want to finally turn the corner.  If not, where do they have to go with him and his crew?

After the ‘95 playoff loss to Buffalo that was it for Don Shula and his much deserved HoF career.

After these 20 years could the Bills put the nail in the coffin for all time super bowl winningest coach?

I would be OK with it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• dollars 2 donuts changed the title to The Bills ended Don Shula’s coaching career with a loss…will they do the same to Belichek?

I don’t think Belichick is done coaching yet, whether that’s in New England or elsewhere.

I’d be pretty surprised to see him fired, but who knows. I know Kraft has said he’d a PITA to deal with so maybe he does decide to move on. But I still think he’s back for next year at least.

If anything I think we will just see changes to the offensive coaching staff. I’ve heard Belichick is going to bring Bill O’Brien back to be OC.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I highly doubt it. Kraft already lost Golden Boy, I don’t think he’s going to fire Belicheck 

What does he gain by keeping him, though?

With the relative equivalent of 10 seasons Bill is 79-86 (I believe), with 2 playoff appearances (Cleveland in ‘95? And last year) and no division titles.

the emperor has no clothes as we all suspected.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t think Belichick is done coaching yet, whether that’s in New England or elsewhere.

I’d be pretty surprised to see him fired, but who knows. I know Kraft has said he’d a PITA to deal with so maybe he does decide to move on. But I still think he’s back for next year at least.

If anything I think we will just see changes to the offensive coaching staff. I’ve heard Belichick is going to bring Bill O’Brien back to be OC.

That I think is more possible than him being in New England.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I’ve seen speculation by NFL media types that this could happen. It’s very possible depending how their end of season plays out imo. Of course it wouldn’t be reported as such by the team. It would be Bill has decided to “ step aside “ into an advisory role etc etc. would not be reported as a firing. Perhaps a “ retirement from coaching” or something to that effect. It’s pretty clear - even to those of us who can’t stand him- that the Patriot way was Tom Brady. Belichick has reverted to his pre Brady winning percentage. 

Belichick is 32 wins away from passing Shula for most wins all time. As crazy as it seems, I think Kraft will try to let him man the ship until he gets that record.

There May be some concessions Bill has to make - like hiring a real GM, OC and DC- but I think that would happen before Bill gets fired outright.

• Agree 1

I think they agree to part ways one way or another. Either Bill steps away on his own or the Pats flip him for draft picks like the Raiders did Gruden almost 20 years ago. Also, don't be surprised is Kraft goes all in on Sean Payton. 

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

Belichick is 32 wins away from passing Shula for most wins all time. As crazy as it seems, I think Kraft will try to let him man the ship until he gets that record.

There May be some concessions Bill has to make - like hiring a real GM, OC and DC- but I think that would happen before Bill gets fired outright.

At the rate he's going, that could take another 4-5 years...

• Agree 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:02 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

They should turn the corner but they won't.  The sheer arrogance of heading into a season with no leadership on offensive coaching would get all other 31 HCs fired. 

But with a fistful of SB rings?  Belichick will walk away when he wants to.

Just the way that BB handled the development of his “franchise” QB should be enough to get him fired.  Matt Patricia as OC was every bit as bad as it sounded last off-season.  

I’d agree that reputation buys him some more time but I do think Kraft starts to plot a succession plan, if he hasn’t already.  

On 12/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, KHAN said:

Drinking the delicious tears of Pats fans sorrow.

I read some comments that actually praised him for his coaching saying things like “with that offense it’s a miracle they won 7 games.  Any other coach would have won 2.”

The problem is that Belichick has complete control over his roster.  So he was the one who built this crappy offense

The whispers are starting in New England that it's time for BB to go...

But I don't think he'll be gone after this year.

He'll be around a few more years.  Then you have the all time wins record, which complicates things further.

He needs a QB, like everyone else.

Belichick has too much of an ego, like Brady. He will never go out on a loss and a losing season.

On 12/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Just Jack said:

Would Sean Payton coach NE if BB retires/fired?

Sean Payton is smart. He does not go to a team in a division where he plays Josh twice a year. He's like Phil Jackson: he'll go to a team ready-made for winning.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, Haslett_Stomp said:

McDaniels will go back to New England at some point.

Maybe even next season if Davis can afford to fire him.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The whispers are starting in New England that it's time for BB to go...

But I don't think he'll be gone after this year.

He'll be around a few more years.  Then you have the all time wins record, which complicates things further.

He needs a QB, like everyone else.

If he is a genius like some claim he will be able to do it.

If he is a professional GOAT Cheater who got lucky with Br*dy who was willing to follow his Sith Master to be corrupted then his GM skills will cause his team to spiral down as rats desert ship.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bills are pretty good at that over the years...I think it's happened on at least 2 or 3 other occasions where a coach got canned after losing to them...

But back in those days it was more like "well if you can't even beat the Bills, who CAN you beat??"

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 7:46 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I can’t help but think that BB may be out in New England after the 8th. Speculation seems to be that Kraft may want to finally turn the corner.  If not, where do they have to go with him and his crew?

After the ‘95 playoff loss to Buffalo that was it for Don Shula and his much deserved HoF career.

After these 20 years could the Bills put the nail in the coffin for all time super bowl winningest coach?

I would be OK with it.

Only way BB is gone is if he retires. The Krafts won’t fire him this year just make him make changes, like hire a real OC.  If the team is bad again next year then they may let him go.. but not until then.  (That’s my opinion of course)

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If he is a genius like some claim he will be able to do it.

If he is a professional GOAT Cheater who got lucky with Br*dy who was willing to follow his Sith Master to be corrupted then his GM skills will cause his team to spiral down as rats desert ship.

Ok I’ll play. Name ONE HC who didn’t have a   HOF QB that is or will more than likely be. In the HOF?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

With the relative equivalent of 10 seasons Bill is 79-86 (I believe), with 2 playoff appearances (Cleveland in ‘95? And last year) and no division titles.

Donuts, I love the thought, but wouldn’t it be more fun watching BB wallow in agony with three more losing season at 8-9 just bad enough to not make the playoffs, but good enough that Belichick can’t find his next Brady.

As Khan Noonyun Singh once said…

It’s very cold In Buffalo in January.  

And another gratuitous Khan reference.

Belichick, I’ve done far worse than killing you.  I’ve hurt you and I wish to keep on hurting you.  Buried alive Belichick.  Buried Alive!

Some movies are just classic.  Donuts, that’s for you my old friend.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Donuts, I love the thought, but wouldn’t it be more fun watching BB wallow in agony with three more losing season at 8-9 just bad enough to not make the playoffs, but good enough that Belichick can’t find his next Brady.

As Khan Noonyun Singh once said…

It’s very cold In Buffalo in January.  

And another gratuitous Khan reference.

Belichick, I’ve done far worse than killing you.  I’ve hurt you and I wish to keep on hurting you.  Buried alive Belichick.  Buried Alive!

Some movies are just classic.  Donuts, that’s for you my old friend.

i can’t even think of enough points to give you for this post, guns.  

Hell, I need my abacus.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ok you can’t count his seasons in Cleveland. MOST coaches fail their first time… In NE without Brady he has the chance (a long shot at that) of making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years without him. This year hiring Patricia was by far the most arrogant thing ever! But if he hired a real OC next year, which I think the Krafts will insist on.. the team could be decent.. (Hell they LOST 4 games they should have won this year with even a semi competent O game plan.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok I’ll play. Name ONE HC who didn’t have a   HOF QB that is or will more than likely be. In the HOF?  

Tom Flores.  And Joe Gibbs.

that…that’s about it. 

But most of the quarterbacks they won with were still a damn sight better than Mac Jones. 

Edited by BRH

2 hours ago, BRH said:

Tom Flores.  And Joe Gibbs.

that…that’s about it. 

But most of the quarterbacks they won with were still a damn sight better than Mac Jones. 

Tom Flores won with Jim Plunkett a HOF QB . Gibbs I will concede.. lol I always thought Theismann was a HOF QB but I was wrong..  As for Mac Jones I couldn’t fairly judge any QB with the O this year, we could have the second coming of Brady and he would look crappy in this O. (Not saying that is what Jones is, just saying how terrible Patricia is.) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.