James Cook -- 5.8 ypc(!) and his longest is only 33 yards.

dave mcbride

If Cook can maintain his speed and quickness, I'd like to see him gain about 10 lbs of muscle in the off season.   He would definitely be my #1 RB next season.  He just seems to be more consistent at finding holes to get past the LOS.  Sometimes Singletary does, and sometimes it looks like he just runs into a pile of bodies.

• Agree 1

He has the same advantage that has always padded Singletary's stats, he is exclusively running into light boxes. With his speed and smooth change of direction he is maximizing the possible yardage from those gaps in the defense. These free yards have been there since 2020, we just haven't had the personnel or the offensive coaching to take full advantage of them. And I think we still haven't come close to seeing Cook's potential as a pass catcher. I'd like to see him featured several times a game on angle routes, get the ball in his hands while running at full speed and watch him go.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Cook #1 and Hines #2 next year I guess.  No way motor is back unless it's for dirt cheap.

Motor will be back. He’s a complete back and a beloved teammate. Hines is a great return option but doesn’t have similar skill set. Motor pass blocks and does all the little things.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I could see a situation where we let Hines walk at the end of the year. Resign motor at a less than NFL league, wide contract and draft a legitimate power back to go along with motor and cook.

And who will be returning punts & kickoffs ? 

3 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

This guy just has it- an off season of weight gain and learning how to block a bit will be huge- love watching how he has that one cut speed that can just leave defenders behind 

His trajectory reminds me of Groot almost. Glad to have a guy that can make 2 high defense pay. We need to keep ramping his carries up, game seems to be slowinh dowm for him

• Like (+1) 1

He has really come on since the bye. The first 6 weeks he really seemed to be lacking some of the explosion on his college film and it absolutely looks like that was because he was hesitating and not trusting his eyes. Now it has slowed down for him he looks really good.

Question is could he be that #1 guy if Devin walks? Because if he can't then I'm not sure change of pace back is sufficienct value for a 2nd round pick... even if they get him going a bit more in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

This guy just has it- an off season of weight gain and learning how to block a bit will be huge- love watching how he has that one cut speed that can just leave defenders behind 

I like his quickness. However, he looks pretty light in the ass. I don't see him breaking many tackles when he gets hit or wrapped up. I realize that's not his game. I like the role he's playing and his current contribution. I'm skeptical that he's a starting caliber RB and a reliable workhorse type RB. To be honest, Blackshear looked and looks better than Cook. I get the Cook hype because we all want him to be the reliable, dynamic, explosive RB that the Bills have lacked for years. However, we've been here done that with so many RBs. Cook's sample size is way too small to start declaring him the next Barry Sanders. Let's wait and see how he develops. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Love his speed and think they need to keep increasing his time on the field. This offense is dying for dynamic players right now and he's showing he's up to the task.

Agree with this. The offense needs explosive dynamic players. Cook and Hines are exactly that. I'm not convinced Cook is a 20 touch kind of guy. However, he's beginning to show his value to the team. Feed him little by little and see how he responds. Baby steps because he's obviously young and still learning. Motor is playing well and much more reliable and experienced despite lacking Cook's type of explosiveness. I trust the coaching staff to make solid decisions on how and when to play the combo of Motor, Cook, and Hines. I suspect all 3 will be an integral part of the hopeful Bills Super Bowl appearance and win. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He has really come on since the bye. The first 6 weeks he really seemed to be lacking some of the explosion on his college film and it absolutely looks like that was because he was hesitating and not trusting his eyes. Now it has slowed down for him he looks really good.

Question is could he be that #1 guy if Devin walks? Because if he can't then I'm not sure change of pace back is sufficienct value for a 2nd round pick... even if they get him going a bit more in the passing game.

Spot on question. I know many are calling for Cook to start over Singletary. At this point, I absolutely disagree with that logic. More touches for Cook is fine and I suspect that will happen. I have my reservations as to whether he can be a number 1 RB for the Bills. He is very unproven in that category. As previously mentioned, Cook wasn't even the cow bell running back in college. No doubt he will get an opportunity to prove himself next year.

Personally, I'm hoping Devin signs with the Bills at a reasonable price. His best value is probably being a Bill. I'm not sure the open market will be that big for him. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Love his speed and think they need to keep increasing his time on the field. This offense is dying for dynamic players right now and he's showing he's up to the task.

Specifically, a new dynamic WR to pair with Diggs. Davis is obviously not that guy, but can be a quality 3rd option when we go Spread. A younger Beasley is also on the ‘23 wish list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

59 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Spot on question. I know many are calling for Cook to start over Singletary. At this point, I absolutely disagree with that logic. More touches for Cook is fine and I suspect that will happen. I have my reservations as to whether he can be a number 1 RB for the Bills. He is very unproven in that category. As previously mentioned, Cook wasn't even the cow bell running back in college. No doubt he will get an opportunity to prove himself next year.

Personally, I'm hoping Devin signs with the Bills at a reasonable price. His best value is probably being a Bill. I'm not sure the open market will be that big for him. 

Whether Devin returns to the Bills depends as much what happens with the other backs hitting FA as it does on him. If Barkley, Jacobs and Pollard all hit the open market there is a chance Motor is back at a reasonable price. If one or two of those re-signs where they are I suspect very much that he is gone.

EDIT: as for whether Cook can be a bell cow - I'm not sold either. But I am not totally sold Motor is a bell cow either. The question for Cook is can he be a starter for a team that is always going to be pass first and facing light boxes. That means being able to handle about 15 carries per game and 3 or 4 touches in the passing game.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I see a lot of folks questioning his weight/size. From what I’ve seen the kid almost always falls forward after contact and has shed a ton of arm tackles. Would love to know his yards after contact stats.

Almost exactly a 3rd of his rush yards this year have been after contact.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Cook #1 and Hines #2 next year I guess.  No way motor is back unless it's for dirt cheap.

No way Hines is back unless he takes a pay cut.  

7 hours ago, Putin said:

And who will be returning punts & kickoffs ? 

Someone other than Hines

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

He has a ton of talent and seems tougher than his billing coming out of UGA.

This.  

He was sold as a WR playing RB that is simply a pass catcher who can run to the outside.  

The guy is running off guard plenty and always seems to fall forward. 

He definitely can use an off-season of S&C, but he’s a lot better at playing actual RB than I thought he’d be as a rookie.  

Conversely, we’ve barely seen any of the pass catching role that was such a big piece of his college career. 

He has a ton of potential in this offense. 

Edited by SCBills

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Exactly. The guy has NEVER been the cow bell running back. 

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.