Has AJE turned a corner?

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question from today is where did Kingsley come from? That guy was balling

McD didn't seem too happy with him when he lined up in the Neutral Zone...

But yeah...he played very well other than that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question from today is where did Kingsley come from? That guy was balling

The Wikipedia entry for him lol: Chukwuemeka Kingsley Jonathan (born April 28, 1998) is an American football defensive end for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Syracuse and was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills in 2022. He was also the number one overall pick in the 2022 CFL Global Draft.

Without reading any further, I feel like I remember him being cut by the Bills and/or signing elsewhere, and then very recently being re-signed to our PS. Had to scoop him back up before the CFL got its hooks into him, apparently.

• Like (+1) 3

If we can get 7-9 sacks a year from AJ that would be some good balance to the line. He was 54th overall, so I don't think people are expecting great things from him but some decent sack numbers and good run D will justify the pick somewhat.

At the beginning of this year I told myself we need one guy from the top three defensive end picks to make the leap to very good. I think Rousseau is doing that. To have AJ be an 8-sack kind of player would be good too.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Epenesa had a forgettable game against Miami last week and it was nice to see the bounce-back performance today.

The devil's advocate in me thinks that maybe having Kingsley, an undrafted UFA from Syracuse, steal reps from you could perhaps be a bit motivational.

Iron sharpens iron.

His biggest issues have been setting the edge and being gap disciplined. Teams often run right at his gaps.

I was also pissed that he swatted at the football instead of launching Miami's Mostert into the benches as he was trucking our DBs along the sideline last week.

He probably received some remedial coaching along with the rest of the d-line after last week and the group took it to heart.

They totally bottled up the runs and RPOs this game, sealed the edges, and rode those stretch runs all the way to the sideline with little to no cutback opportunities.

It was a very solid performance for a group that frankly played uncharacteristically sloppy vs Miami.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Epenesa had a forgettable game against Miami last week and it was nice to see the bounce-back performance today.

The devil's advocate in me thinks that maybe having Kingsley, an undrafted UFA from Syracuse, steal reps from you could perhaps be a bit motivational.

Iron sharpens iron.

His biggest issues have been setting the edge and being gap disciplined. Teams often run right at his gaps.

I was also pissed that he swatted at the football instead of launching Miami's Mostert into the benches as he was trucking our DBs along the sideline last week.

He probably received some remedial coaching along with the rest of the d-line after last week and the group took it to heart.

They totally bottled up the runs and RPOs this game, sealed the edges, and rode those stretch runs all the way to the sideline with little to no cutback opportunities.

It was a very solid performance for a group that frankly played uncharacteristically sloppy vs Miami.

Looked like more of the same on the first drive as Chicago went 64 yards in 8 plays to take the lead on their opening drive. After that, the Bills D allowed 145 yards on 51 plays, or 2.8 yards per play. And that included a 44 yard pass into double coverage that should have been picked off...

Bills D played lights out after the first drive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

AJ, Boogie and Groot have all had a nice step up esp in Von’s absence. Shaq is also putting together a nice season which is helping esp in run defense.

Yet surprisingly Jordan Phillips has 1.5 sacks in week 1 and none since. Been disappointed in Mr. Phillips this year, was expecting at least 5 or 6 from him this year.

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yet surprisingly Jordan Phillips has 1.5 sacks in week 1 and none since. Been disappointed in Mr. Phillips this year, was expecting at least 5 or 6 from him this year.

Shockingly to my eye test he has been pretty good as a run defender which was not his strong suit in 2019 when he broke out with 10 sacks.

I think his pass rush hasn’t been bad but it has not been as expected but I also think he has two bang up injuries which hasn’t helped him get more consistent.

• Like (+1) 1

I never knew how to feel about this guy - but this year he is definitely beginning to shine and in a time where we are thin at the position based on our rotational style- Best part it's not just sacks and pressures he has batted several balls down including the final play of the Jets game- Would love if he just set the edge a little better

• Like (+1) 1

He flashes some big time pass rush ability but his consistency is all over the place. It is telling that since Von went down the Bills second most used D end after Greg is Shaq - because he is reliable, he can be trusted to know and play his assignment and doesn't make many mental mistakes. 

AJE is having his best year as a pro, that's for sure, but I still don't know that he is more than a situational rusher.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Shockingly to my eye test he has been pretty good as a run defender which was not his strong suit in 2019 when he broke out with 10 sacks.

I think his pass rush hasn’t been bad but it has not been as expected but I also think he has two bang up injuries which hasn’t helped him get more consistent.

In fairness to Philips, his shoulder looked shot on that last tackle.  And I mean SHOT.  He wasn't getting his arm over his shoulder.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's not playing next week.  That didn't look very good.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yea. Phillips has been pretty poor. He has had seemingly constant injuries in fairness but I think of our 4 main DTs he has been the least impressive.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He flashes some big time pass rush ability but his consistency is all over the place. It is telling that since Von went down the Bills second most used D end after Greg is Shaq - because he is reliable, he can be trusted to know and play his assignment and doesn't make many mental mistakes. 

AJE is having his best year as a pro, that's for sure, but I still don't know that he is more than a situational rusher.

Since this is a passing league, situational pass rushers are very valuable.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

In fairness to Philips, his shoulder looked shot on that last tackle.  And I mean SHOT.  He wasn't getting his arm over his shoulder.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's not playing next week.  That didn't look very good.

I've had an a/c injury like his and that's the thing.  Even when it is healed to the point where you can do anything you want when the arm is below the shoulders, trying to raise above the shoulders can remain very painful.

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

Iron sharpens iron.

He didn't play against Miami.  He's had a sack in the last 4 games he played.  I'm not saying our other guys can't do it but AJ and Rousseau are the only two ends (outside of Von who's out) who I've seen just blow by a tackle and get the QB.  Getting there in clean up and being physical in both the pass rush and run defense is nice but when an end can get around the corner to the QB with the OL barely getting a hand on them that's game changing.

7 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He didn't play against Miami.  He's had a sack in the last 4 games he played.  I'm not saying our other guys can't do it but AJ and Rousseau are the only two ends (outside of Von who's out) who I've seen just blow by a tackle and get the QB.  Getting there in clean up and being physical in both the pass rush and run defense is nice but when an end can get around the corner to the QB with the OL barely getting a hand on them that's game changing.

Epenesa did play against Miami, and he wasn't very good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed - I think in pure pass rush situations that is where they try to use AJE as much as possible and hence his uptick in Sack production.

@Big Turk I am not sure he has turned a corner - I actually think what you are seeing is AJE is playing the Pass rush only situations with Shaq playing more running downs and if it was not for the Von Miller injury - AJE does not get those snaps.  

I have been fine with what I have seen, but I don’t think it is very different from his production throughout his career - it is just now he is playing Batman to Shaq’s Robin and I think to a tackle blocking Shaq - AJE comes in and looks like Derrick Thomas all of a sudden and you are not quite ready for his speed to power ratio on the rush. 

My issue is against a rush - he gets blown away and cannot defend enough - so he is really limited in usage.  I have been highly disappointed in that level of production because in College he seemed more of a complete DE with limited speed, but good strength and hands.  Now he seems like a skinny tree limb - with better speed than anticipated and pretty good hands, but very limited strength and until that changes I think he is a limited player.

I think AJ is just starting. First year Covid year, then lost weight (too much if I recall) finally gets a real offseason without messing with his weight and body. Here we are. May not be a sack master, but I think he will be a very good overall DE going forward. Gets his sacks when available and getting better against the run.

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed - I think in pure pass rush situations that is where they try to use AJE as much as possible and hence his uptick in Sack production.

@Big Turk I am not sure he has turned a corner - I actually think what you are seeing is AJE is playing the Pass rush only situations with Shaq playing more running downs and if it was not for the Von Miller injury - AJE does not get those snaps.  

I have been fine with what I have seen, but I don’t think it is very different from his production throughout his career - it is just now he is playing Batman to Shaq’s Robin and I think to a tackle blocking Shaq - AJE comes in and looks like Derrick Thomas all of a sudden and you are not quite ready for his speed to power ratio on the rush. 

My issue is against a rush - he gets blown away and cannot defend enough - so he is really limited in usage.  I have been highly disappointed in that level of production because in College he seemed more of a complete DE with limited speed, but good strength and hands.  Now he seems like a skinny tree limb - with better speed than anticipated and pretty good hands, but very limited strength and until that changes I think he is a limited player.

You may be right, I can't find that info. He is at an all-time high for snap percentage on D, but not hugely higher than his other years..38% versus 37% last year and 31% this year. In terms of raw numbers he has about 17 more snaps already than he did last year, but it's a pretty close comparison.

Only had 1.5 sacks last year with the 0.5 coming in the Jags game and the sack in the final game against the Jets. Definitely been more impactful this year, although he had a ton of near misses if I remember last year and he terrorized Tua in the first Dolphin game and ended up knocking him with with a Milano Jr. type hit.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Phillips has been pretty poor. He has had seemingly constant injuries in fairness but I think of our 4 main DTs he has been the least impressive.

Actually despite Phillips size he has been a liability vs the run his entire career, and his pass rush is pretty hit or miss too. We are fine is he needs some healing time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.