Mitch Morse December 2022 Concussion

PSUBB86

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

Totally agree. I've been saying this most of the year. When the Bills line was rolling late last year, it was with Bates at LG not RG.

The signing of Saffold has been disastrous as it has weakened us at multiple positions

I didn't understand why they signed Saffold if they planned on playing him at LG, because that's where Bates was really good last year.  Once they signed him, I thought they should have moved him to RG, where he has played before.  Now he probably needs to be benched.

"Center Mitch Morse left the 32-29 win in the third quarter for evaluation of a head injury. It was announced a short time later Morse would not return to the game because of a concussion. That’s obviously a concern when it happens to any player, but that is especially true when it comes to Morse, who has a troubling history of head injuries. He has now suffered the sixth documented concussion of his NFL career and third since coming to the Bills in 2019."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/upon-further-review-mitch-morses-sixth-documented-concussion-is-a-major-cause-for-concern/article_2408be34-7eff-11ed-8cde-4f4d4672df92.html

Six (documented) concussions seems like a very high number and I'm greatly concerned. First, for his health and well being but second, the O-line is already problematic and without Mitch there for a playoff run, it may be an outright liability.

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect there's a good chance he doesn't come back — this year or ever. Or (and this is just a wild guess) he comes back for the playoffs to try and get a ring but then hangs it up in the offseason.

This is very, very concerning and I agree with earlier posters who want to bring in a vet ASAP — I just don't know if there's anyone out there who's going to help.

What a year for injuries. :(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What happened with Boettger? 

Looks like the deadline passed with no movement to the active roster. 

Sal said the NFL doesn't make announcements on that stuff on Sunday's so unless the Bills did we wouldn't hear about it until today.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

please be more specific in your title. We don’t want any catchall player topics.

• Haha (+1) 1

• PSUBB86 changed the title to Mitch Morse December 2022 Concussion
4 hours ago, SDS said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

please be more specific in your title. We don’t want any catchall player topics.

Done!

I would imagine that the most likely “retirement” scenario would be Morse coming back this season to ride out the playoffs, and then possibly retire during the off-season. I don’t think he would hang it up right now unless this particular concussion was different/worse than the others. He is a competitor, has put in the work all season to help the Bills get to where they are, and I would imagine his mind is set on a championship like most of our players.  If this happened at the beginning of the season, that’s o another thing, but I think it’s too close to the playoffs for him to turn back now.  I’d be surprised to see that, but not so surprised to see him retire in the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Hopefully Morse makes a full recovery and his long term health is ok. At the same time we have to draft/sign his replacement, too much of a loss when he isn't in there.

We knew of Morse' price tag, concussion history, and our own cap situation. I have been confused the last two offseasons that we made no effort to get somebody in house as a future replacement.

For him and his families sake I hope he hangs them up. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

We knew of Morse' price tag, concussion history, and our own cap situation. I have been confused the last two offseasons that we made no effort to get somebody in house as a future replacement.

I still say that bates could be the long-term replacement here

draft a guard

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Bates himself has said center is where he would prefer to play, so there's that. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Draft a center and let him cut his teeth playing guard a couple years. 

Draft a Tackle in Rnd 1, kick Spencer Brown inside (like they should have done last year), let Bates play Center and find a serviceable Guard on the FA market.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Mitch should call it a career, as much as I value his incredible contributions to this team on and off the field. He has to protect his ability to have a meaningful life after football for his family and loved ones. Bills fans love this guy for his professionalism and calming influence on the team and Josh. Good luck Mitch, whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Draft a Tackle in Rnd 1, kick Spencer Brown inside (like they should have done last year), let Bates play Center and find a serviceable Guard on the FA market.

Do you think Brown can get the knee bend and leverage he needs on the inside at his stature? I still think he can develop at RT - if we recall back when players were developed (lol) O-lineman typically took 3 years. With SB being from a tiny program in college and his boatload of athleticism, should we not allow him another season? Tough part of course is you have to let him play out there in order for him to develop :)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I've got a few problems with this.  First, the Bills are unlikely to be able to get their hands on a top OT if they are drafting in the late 20s or 30s.  Really good plug-and-play guards and centers, on the other hand, are frequently available at that part of the draft.  Second, Spencer Brown has spent two years learning how to play tackle in the NFL and he has a lot of the tools you want in a right tackle...are you really going to move him to guard and break in another rookie at such an important and difficult position?  Then there's the issue of whether Spencer Brown can even play guard in the NFL at 6'8", with a pretty significant injury history...     

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Do you think Brown can get the knee bend and leverage he needs on the inside at his stature? I still think he can develop at RT - if we recall back when players were developed (lol) O-lineman typically took 3 years. With SB being from a tiny program in college and his boatload of athleticism, should we not allow him another season? Tough part of course is you have to let him play out there in order for him to develop :)

Brown also lost time with a knee injury and a back problem last year.  He is still really green.

I hope for the best for Mitch and it's up to him how much more he plays.

Lots of folks want Bates as the future center but I prefer a true drafted college center who is trained in the intellectual

part of the position.  I'm not saying Bates can't, he just spent his college and most of his pro career moving all over the place.

Put him at LG where he excels.  Draft a RG.  2 OL picks are not too much to ask to protect Josh and let him have time to throw.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

He might have some issues in short yardage packages because he's never going to be the low man, but I think he'd mostly be fine when he's firing off the ball.

I've thought from Day 1 that he just doesn't have the feet to play Tackle in this league and I've yet to see anything since which has changed my mind. Putting him at Guard allows him to fight guys in a phone booth, which I think minimizes his greatest weakness and accentuates his greatest strength. The only real potential problem I can see is that his height might occasionally be a problem interfering with passing lanes.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.