Football “Tells” : Why we lose opportunities on offense and defense

BringBackFergy

When you watch the game each week, you pick up on little mannerisms and “tells”. Like watching other players at a poker table, you can pick up ticks or gestures that indicate what they are doing or about to do. I’ve been compiling various “tells” for the Bills the last six weeks and you’ll see what I’m talking about if you pause the game or watch closely:

1) When Gabe Davis lines up wide, if he adjusts his helmet before snap, it’s a run play. The CB might as well run toward midfield. 

2) If Dion Dawkins pops his head to the left BEFORE the snap, it’s a passing play. He’s checking for DE’s position. 

3) Watch Josh Allen in the huddle. If he’s illustrating the play with a lot of hand movement, five times out of 10 it’s an RPO. The defense knows this. 

4) On defense, take a look at Edmunds. If he positions his right hand on his knee/thigh area, he’ll drop in coverage. Pretty easy for the opposing QB to hand off through the G gap. 

5) Singletary…if he cheats his left foot to 11 o’clock, he’s gonna be pass blocking or running. 

Our quality control coaches should do a better job so average Joe’s like me can’t figure this stuff out. Tell me if you pick out any more tomorrow or as the season progresses. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

When you watch the game each week, you pick up on little mannerisms and “tells”. Like watching other players at a poker table, you can pick up ticks or gestures that indicate what they are doing or about to do. I’ve been compiling various “tells” for the Bills the last six weeks and you’ll see what I’m talking about if you pause the game or watch closely:

1) When Gabe Davis lines up wide, if he adjusts his helmet before snap, it’s a run play. The CB might as well run toward midfield. 

2) If Dion Dawkins pops his head to the left BEFORE the snap, it’s a passing play. He’s checking for DE’s position. 

3) Watch Josh Allen in the huddle. If he’s illustrating the play with a lot of hand movement, five times out of 10 it’s an RPO. The defense knows this. 

4) On defense, take a look at Edmunds. If he positions his right hand on his knee/thigh area, he’ll drop in coverage. Pretty easy for the opposing QB to hand off through the G gap. 

5) Singletary…if he cheats his left foot to 11 o’clock, he’s gonna be pass blocking or running. 

Our quality control coaches should do a better job so average Joe’s like me can’t figure this stuff out. Tell me if you pick out any more tomorrow or as the season progresses. 

So your saying jets kick the crap out of the Bills ? 69 - 8 jets ?

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Would be nice to have videos to illustrate your point...I guess we'll have to take your word for it.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

delete this asap lol😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Watch the Jets game tomorrow. You’ll see a few. 

All teams have some tells, but if what your saying is true the coaches should definitely be pointing it out to the players in question to correct (I.e eliminate the pattern)

I for one will be watching

• Like (+1) 1

I've noticed that whenever Josh is going to run it, he tucks the ball into the crook of his elbow and every time he is going to throw it, he holds it in his right hand with his fingertips on the laces. Really, it's a dead give away. Am I the only one seeing this?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Interesting analysis wonder why our coaches haven’t picked up on this.   Some video examples would help but will try to look for these clues today.   Great to see so many great responses to this thread

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

This is honestly the most impressive post I’ve ever seen. I wish I could give u multiple likes. You should be working for an nfl team. Edit: I’m not being sarcastic 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

How does Edmunds know if he's dropping into coverage until the ball is snapped? I would think it's easier to sniff out run plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

I’m thinking just forfeit 

Why be a D#ck ?  He is expressing an opinion.  This is the problem with this forum, you are a community member but still feel the need to be sarcastic.  This is why I dont post.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.