Expecting a return to form for Allen this week.

ChicagoRic

It's been a tough 6 weeks since the bye.

3 games in a row with 2 INTS

The elbow injury

Limited practice time due to said injury, team flu, and the weather.

A Detroit "home" game

Amazing that the Bills managed 4-2 during that stretch. 

But now, finally, the mini-bye. Extra time to rest and recover.

Allen is back at home IN BUFFALO for the first time since 10/30, the elbow injury is 5 weeks in the rearview, and the Bills have a loss against a division opponent to avenge. 

Even great QBs have setbacks, but I think (hope?) that this is the week Allen gets his swag back.  300+ yards, 3 passing TD and another one on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

The one way I see this happening is if the defense is playing really well. A couple of turnovers and short field? Yeah, I think that's the way Allen can pad the numbers a bit. 

As Golf eluded to, it's more likely to be a grind. 27 pts feels about right to me. As long as the D is playing well, it's a W.

Per Greg Cosell on OBL today, expect the Bills with the benefit of 10 days prep to have some deeper new wrinkles to work out of the 2 back pistol sets from which they mostly ran last week, but could set the table for a lot of effective play action.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

The elbow injury

A Detroit "home" game

Allen is back at home IN BUFFALO for the first time since 10/30, the elbow injury is 5 weeks in the rearview, and the Bills have a loss against a division opponent to avenge. 

Even great QBs have setbacks, but I think (hope?) that this is the week Allen gets his swag back.  300+ yards, 3 passing TD and another one on the ground. 

I agree totally.  He crushes it this week and has that Allen swag going.  

the team on D is more back to form and as long as we don’t beat ourselves this game isn’t ever really close.  

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Process said:

Rain/snow mix has to be pretty bad for the passing game. I doubt Allen has a monster game but I think he'll have a significantly better day than Mike White.

Rain especially is proven to impact the passing game.  Even light rain lowers completion percentage.  Hopefully our D can capitalize more than the Jets… 

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Then just line up Diggs on the right side or in the slot.  Sauce doesn’t travel.  

Not a bad idea at all actually, but once again, I don’t expect Diggs to put up 150 yds and 1 TD in this matchup.

As another poster eluded to, Dawson Knox may need to step up his game this week and I hope he does, but I think our receivers as a whole need to show up Davis, McKenzie, Shakir collectively.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think we see it this week. Even though we’ve seen  great throws like the big one against Detroit at the end, I think his elbow is still bothering him. Plus, the Jets have a pretty good defense and the weather isn’t going to be great. The Bills are starting to play a more balanced offense and really trying to establish the run. I don’t think we’re going to see a tremendous game with huge numbers from Allen but we’ll see a very good game and no mistakes and a win which is all we really need. 

14 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

15/27 for 311 and 3 TDs in KC last year regular season.  Game halted by rain and lightning   

If I recall correctly it was dry all first half when Allen had 3 TDs...game was delayed at halftime due to rain... Bills opened the 2nd half with three straight punts.

12 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I don’t think we see it this week. Even though we’ve seen  great throws like the big one against Detroit at the end, I think his elbow is still bothering him. Plus, the Jets have a pretty good defense and the weather isn’t going to be great. The Bills are starting to play a more balanced offense and really trying to establish the run. I don’t think we’re going to see a tremendous game with huge numbers from Allen but we’ll see a very good game and no mistakes and a win which is all we really need. 

With Josh Allen as our QB, I in no way want Buffalo to be a run heavy team, I want Buffalo to be a team that can run the ball in key situations.

We need Singletary to be a threat in the red zone and in short yardage situations to keep defenses off balanced and to establish the play action.

I do see what you mean though. There is no greater dagger to the heart of a defense than when you run the ball and they know you’re going to run the ball, yet they still cannot stop it.

6 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

The elbow injury

A Detroit "home" game

Nope, Allen was on target LAST week.  We just decided to pound the rock.  He's back.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm conflicted.  

After playing poorly for a while - starting in the 2nd half of the Packers game - Josh seems to be trending upwards.  I feel like - finally with some decent rest - he'll return to form.

On the other hand, he's not going to have QB-friendly weather the Jets have the 4th ranked pass defense in the NFL.   The logic, rational part of me says this isn't the week. 

But my gut tells me the same thing the OP's gut tells him - 300+ yards with multiple TDs.  

7 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

The elbow injury

A Detroit "home" game

I hope he gets it back this week too.  However, I disagree with your reasons for why this might be likely.  

Who knows how long it will take for his elbow to heal; playing at home doesn't mean much and it can be argued he is better on the road; the dramatic back story of a game (avenging a loss) may make sense to a fan, but that's completely immaterial to the players.

They are trying as hard as they can every week.

Allen is still not right.  He did look a lot better last game though.  

I also hope he keeps improving and gets back to his playoff form from last year fast.

We'll need it against the Jets, Fish, and especially the Bengals.

And I don't think we can afford to lose another game this year.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Allen is still not right.  He did look a lot better last game though. 

Allen is fine. Its the coaching that aint right. They totally restricted allen after he threw the picks in back to back games. They took away the all star passing attack and now are running the ball 20 times or whatever.

You get 400 yard games when you throw the ball 59 times like we used to. You also get more picks etc.

You get 200 yard games when you run it 20+ times.

Its coaching its philosophy its scheme its what daboll fought with mcdermott about last year around mid season when mcd was trying to make him "establish the run".

Its whatever really. Allen is fine and when it counts he is gonna show up every time.

5 hours ago, Process said:

If I recall correctly it was dry all first half when Allen had 3 TDs...game was delayed at halftime due to rain... Bills opened the 2nd half with three straight punts.

Yes and no. Bills went conservative in Q3 and punted as noted. Bills also had an 85 yd, 8 min long drive capped by a Josh passing TD in Q4.   Meanwhile Mahomes threw 2 INTs, one a pick 6 to Micah Hyde.  

Bills ended game with a Clock eating drive with 3 kneel downs at end too.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.