Highest graded defenders for Week 10 (Look who's 1st)

Gambit

PFF grade or no, I have done a total 180 on Edmunds this year and now want us to re-sign him. The defense clearly looks different without him. He's stopped making some of the head scratching plays. I don't mind that he doesn't make game changing turnovers, I'll take the consistency.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

PFF grade or no, I have done a total 180 on Edmunds this year and now want us to re-sign him. The defense clearly looks different without him. He's stopped making some of the head scratching plays. I don't mind that he doesn't make game changing turnovers, I'll take the consistency.

I completely agree. Even at the start of the season, I didn't want him re-signed. Now, I don't know how we don't. 

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was at the game and focused on him throughout. He was phenomenal on Sunday. Just amazing, particularly in coverage. When he went down, the D went south. He's an imposing threat in coverage. Is he as good as a CB? No, but he's certainly among the elite for coverage among LBs. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Body of work of this year has been pretty good. He has some massive PBU’s and some good tackles.

It’s actually a shame that he’s closer to the top end of player that teams let walk. May end up being a situation where he’s gonna get too much as a FA

A guy that played for 1 half and dropped an easy INT was the best defender in the league ? Color me skeptical 

I thought he had a decent game. Couple nice pass breakups and generally a good job in coverage. He did drop that INT though. 

I'm not buying the narrative that the DEF did so much worse with Edmunds out. 

Vikings offense scored 10 points in the 1st half (Edmunds playing).

Vikings offense scored 13 points in the 2nd half (Edmunds not playing). 

And as far as a sample size of our DEF playing with or without Edmunds. The only game he missed this year was against the Steelers. I don't think we missed him that game. 

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

A guy that played for 1 half and dropped an easy INT was the best defender in the league ? Color me skeptical 

I thought he had a decent game. Couple nice pass breakups and generally a good job in coverage. He did drop that INT though. 

I'm not buying the narrative that the DEF did so much worse with Edmunds out. 

Vikings offense scored 10 points in the 1st half (Edmunds playing).

Vikings offense scored 13 points in the 2nd half (Edmunds not playing). 

And as far as a sample size of our DEF playing with or without Edmunds. The only game he missed this year was against the Steelers. I don't think we missed him that game. 

If you were at the game and focusing on what was going on in the secondary, you'd realize how much of a threat he presents. He is very fast for a LB, extremely tall, and has an incredibly big wingspan. And he was playing with anticipation on virtually every play. 

Up until this year I've been a huge Tremain detractor, but despite being out of position at times during this season, I think he's finally starting to become a major difference maker in our defense.   I hope it has nothing to do with it being a contract year, but if he continues to play like this I'd be more than happy for the Bills to pay him.

His absence was readily apparent in the second half of the Vikings game.

He's spent most of his career playing like he had a length of #10 rebar jammed up his keister.

Last Sunday was by far the most conscientious I've ever seen him about dropping his hips and keeping them there throughout the play.

It's made an enormous difference in the quality of his play and if he keeps it up the Bills are going to have a difficult decision to make.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The flip flopping this place has with PFF is hilarious. 

Right. One day they will say Josh sucks and we will jump down their threats. But when they say Edmund’s is the best, all the sudden they are the best source. Comical really 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The flip flopping this place has with PFF is hilarious. 

Don’t include me in this. I’ve been an Edmunds fan from the jump, he single-handedly takes away the middle of the field. Everyone else got a taste of what happens when he’s out of the line up. He’s #1 on my list for a contract. Edmunds & Milano is a very strong linebacker core. 

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

The Vikings were inside the 1 yard line on two different drives and walked away with 3 total points. The entire d needs to be recognized for giving us two shots to win. 

So we completely forget that the D allowed the Vikings to get down to the 1 yard line twice in the first place? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's spent most of his career playing like he had a length of #10 rebar jammed up his keister.

Last Sunday was by far the most conscientious I've ever seen him about dropping his hips and keeping them there throughout the play.

It's made an enormous difference in the quality of his play and if he keeps it up the Bills are going to have a difficult decision to make.

The decision is really a no brainer. MLB is the QB of the defense. It would be a shame to spend all these years developing him only for him to be a stud somewhere else. If it’s Ed Oliver or Edmunds I’m going with the latter. Could’ve resigned both if not for the Knox contract. I’m sympathetic to his situation, but all he’s had this year is the game winner and a few key 3rd down receptions. 

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Pretty sure I haven't ever mentioned PFF before. Just watching the game, it was pretty obvious he was playing a damn good game.

He dropped two Interceptions.  He at least got to the spot to make a pass break up but he had both balls hit his hands.  These were not last second reactions. He had a clean shot at the INT both times and failed.  

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Who are you, and what have you done with @HappyDays?

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Body of work of this year has been pretty good. He has some massive PBU’s and some good tackles.

It’s actually a shame that he’s closer to the top end of player that teams let walk. May end up being a situation where he’s gonna get too much as a FA

I agree and it's especially a shame that we prematurely gave Knox his contract pre-season because we otherwise could probably afford to extend Edmunds.  Not saying Knox is a bad player and not even basing this on his usage this year (I'm willing to give him a pass with his brother passing and being asked to block) but there was no way he was worth top 5 TE money. Also, he had just come off an inflated TD season, his leverage could not have been higher, should have waited. Beane has been a great GM, no denying that, but Knox over Edmunds will go down as a misstep.  Really wondering if Josh put some pressure on Beane there leading up to the season.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Same. And he has been making more big plays (knocking down or tipping passes) even if he isnt making the INTs. I dont know that we can afford him, but I have no concerns if Beane decides to pay him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He dropped two Interceptions.  He at least got to the spot to make a pass break up but he had both balls hit his hands.  These were not last second reactions. He had a clean shot at the INT both times and failed.  

I never said he played perfect. And no, I don't think he'd be worth a gigantic contract. I more so posted this for the people who have wanted him benched for Dodson. Edmunds isn't elite but he's still our best option for the time being.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.