NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

My anger is more towards the OC, if you see Josh is struggling to throw the ball or the O-line is getting him killed, I've yet to see this team utilize screen passes efficiently. Why did we go out and get a guy like RB Nyheim Hines, James Cook if we're just going to neglect them as another weapon? We now have 3 RB's who can catch and they had 6 catches, I think we're pretty 1 dimensional right now and we don't need to be, this team was very hard to beat when Singletary was running well last season and I think it's time to recommit to it.

They never switched it up.  Against an aggressive D, you need to get the quick slants and screens going and there was almost no attempt to do that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills can't run the ball and their defense can't stop the run.  Key to beating Bills is double team Diggs as no one else will step up and teams don't really have to worry about their running game.  Take Diggs away and your left with 2nd year Allen trying to force plays.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

I think many just see that if the team that played the last 2 games is the one that shows up in the playoffs, it’s over. 

These people didn’t know this before hand ? It’s only seeing it play out on the field the last 6 QTRs that they now realize teams who win Super Bowls must play well in the playoffs  ?

Maybe they already knew this and are just being emotional and overreacting to a loss, which by the way is a perfectly acceptable approach to fan hood, just not the one I subscribe to.

15 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I love this team personnel wise and I think there is a ton to like obviously. I hate philosophy in which we use them. McDermott has been a borderline savior for this franchise…..he’s an amazing coach Monday through Saturday but he’s terrible on game day.Thats been the case from day 1.

I want to see more physical play on both sides of the ball. We are too finesse and physical teams can make us pay. It happened in Jacksonville last year, the Pats game at home and it happened today. You rely way too much on the pass and if it’s not there you have no plan B. We aren’t physical enough up front and we get the LOS moved on both sides of the ball. That’s why we can’t run and that’s why we can’t stop it.

We are built to play ahead and that’s not always going to happen. In a tight game, you need the off speed pitch. You need to establish the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The QB gets all the glory and press coverage but championship teams reset the line of scrimmage. You have to stop the run. You can not let a team hold the ball on you for 8 or 9 minutes while churning out drives on the ground. It lets teams get you on your heels and it makes you very venerable on the backend as a result. You also need to make teams pay when they devote all of their assets to stop your passing game. There has to be a time where you line up and run it. It’s not all on the RBs. It’s a philosophical thing here. It’s been that way since day 1 and the names of the RBs have changed. It’s not a coincidence. Something is broken with the way this team wants to run the ball and until it’s fixed this game will always be possible. You certainly have to want to change it in order for it to get better. There’s are plenty of times where it seems like In a tight game, it’s just put entirely on Josh. The first few drives of every game we seem to have nice balance and creativity on offense. Once the flow of the game changes and teams settle, it becomes a drop back hope Josh is an MVP. I’d love to see this team dictate more with physical play and if that means less splash plays… I’m good. Get the physical guys on the field and make teams uncomfortable to play against you. 

💯 agree with you but I really think there something to a team that loves to pass the ball. Maybe there practicing pass blocking to much and not being physical when they do have to run block. You can go all the way back and look at the colts and other teams that loved to pass, what did NE always do to them, be physical and it worked. It’s just my thought!! They don’t practice physical run blocking enough to be good at it. 

3 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Bills can't run the ball and their defense can't stop the run.  Key to beating Bills is double team Diggs as no one else will step up and teams don't really have to worry about their running game.  Take Diggs away and your left with 2nd year Allen trying to force plays.

Right!!! Teams want you one dimensional Buffalo comes in games that way. Giving the defense a leg up, especially against a good front 7. 

30 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Does Dorsey actually design a game plan. Every game seems the same, no imagination, no running game. He was my biggest concern coming into the season and still is. We won with talent early on, now teams have a strategy against us and we can't do much. Need to figure out how to use Knox, Davis, get a running game going outside of Allen.

Allen has looked like crap too.

But we won the NY/NJ argument , so there's something.

We had long drives the first three possessions and got 14 points, Josh's interception killed a drive deep in the red zone.   21 points would have won the game. 

Two weeks in a row the offense was a non-factor in the second half.  We never threatened to score a TD after that 3rd possession, settling for a 51-yard FG and missing a 53 yarder.  

So, my question about Dorsey would be does have more than a first half game-plan?  Does he counter when they counter?   It has not looked like that the past few weeks.    In Dorsey's defense the plays might be fine if the execution was better.   Today we got close to nothing from Davis, Knox, McKenzie, and Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Remember last week when people were mocking the "remember the Jags" posters?

Well it's not that funny when we're seeing signs of yet another mid-season let down against teams we should beat. 😔

No, the Jets aren't as bad as the Jags, but there's a reason Buffalo was favored by 12 points. That kind of line indicates you SHOULD be the far superior team. 

A loss to the Vikings next week would likely see the Bills knocked out of 1st place, and any hopes of Allen being MVP would be done.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Well it's not that funny when we're seeing signs of yet another mid-season let down against teams we should beat. 😔

No, the Jets aren't as bad as the Jags, but there's a reason Buffalo was favored by 12 points. That kind of line indicates you SHOULD be the far superior team. 

A loss to the Vikings next week would likely see the Bills knocked out of 1st place, and any hopes of Allen being MVP would be done.

I agree with a lot of what you say here though it doesn’t matter what the fans remember or say, it’s how the team prepares and executes. They were awful today.

As far as Allen being the MVP? I don’t care one way or the other. I just want a Super Bowl title before I take my dirt nap.

Edited by Beast

5 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

In Dorsey's defense the plays might be fine if the execution was better.   Today we got close to nothing from Davis, Knox, McKenzie, and Singletary. 

That's where I'm at, I think the execution was too bad to really tell. 

With Allen playing like that, it's also hard to assess Davis, Knox, McKenzie, etc as they're reliant on Josh to find them & make the throws too.

One thing I noticed in the 2nd half was Josh almost completely stopped looking beyond his first target. From snap to pass/scramble, he singled in on one guy & that was it. 

The others may have been covered, but I'd have to see the All-22 or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

His MVP bid took a serious hit today.  Not that i really care about that though.  He just needs to be better. 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Don’t really care about Josh being MVP. The only thing is if he wins it, it means he’s being playing lights out. But the Super Bowl is more important. Over the last five quarters we look nowhere near it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

We had long drives the first three possessions and got 14 points, Josh's interception killed a drive deep in the red zone.   21 points would have won the game. 

Two weeks in a row the offense was a non-factor in the second half.  We never threatened to score a TD after that 3rd possession, settling for a 51-yard FG and missing a 53 yarder.  

So, my question about Dorsey would be does have more than a first half game-plan?  Does he counter when they counter?   It has not looked like that the past few weeks.    In Dorsey's defense the plays might be fine if the execution was better.   Today we got close to nothing from Davis, Knox, McKenzie, and Singletary. 

There's times I question dorsey but I don't put the stagnant offense on him today. I probably screamed at my tv 5 times yelling "Knox is wide open" josh just didn't see him or refused to throw the shorter routes today. There was open recievers josh missed, the mind boggling ints, and the drops by davis weren't on dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hated that call, but as soon as I saw them go to the ground I had a feeling the flag would come out. You see that every week go uncalled, but the refs decided to throw the flag here. It's a very gray area. The camera showed McDermott arguing to the ref after that the defender had a hold of Dawkins' jersey and pulled him down.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

bull####.

As an aid to the eyes of those with a smidge of "open" in their minds, I have circled the ball and marked Gardner's arm where it's over Davis's arm

Davis did get his arm free and try for the ball, but it was by no means a gimme and Sauce was draped all over him.

Capture.JPG

Some refs would call that pass interference, especially if you see the reverse angle with the DB making contact way down the field, but Davis still needs to go get the ball, not wait for it.    If he goes to the ball and fights for it, he might get the PI since the DB never turns around.  Davis was NOT good today.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

It’s tough for the offense to get in a rhythm when they only touch the ball once a quarter.  

As a general rule, I'm not too concerned if Josh throws a pick or two, as they are largely the result of good DB play, and forcing a ball into coverage. With his arm strength, it works both ways, there is the occasional pick, but more often, the football gets to where he wants it to be, and we make plays.

The two picks today, were simply atrocious. Not only should the football not have been thrown there, but they were both dead easy picks - neither throw had anything on it. Probably the easiest picks you will see in an NFL game.

Add that to the other one later on against the Pack, and there's something going on schematically, that needs to stop. I think there's an element of offensively trying to be the smartest guy in the room, and there's no need.

The first early interception, if Josh had put some mustard on it, it would have been where only our guy could get it, irrespective of him seeing the defender, or not. It becomes either a TD, or incomplete, and we can go again. Less of the floating passes please, just fire it in there.

Defensively, we need to figure out who is supposed to be doing what, when it comes to stopping the run. We also need to commit to doing it again, properly. It wasn't until it was too late (a bit of hindsight, but even so) that we put extra guys into the box, and had a bit more success in stopping the Jest run game.

While our DBs collectively, weren't losing us the game, their inexperience did show with some of the swing type passes, that let the Jest convert on 3rd downs. Poyer (or Hyde) are going to read some of those, and probably make a stop or two, or at least get someone else lined up right to do so.

Edited by Buddo
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

On the play where he tried to force it to Diggs and almost got picked, Knox was wide open underneath. 

Saw the same thing. JA seems to be caught up in the big play vs the right play. Knox under makes the next down very makeable. Packers game same thing. OL, run D, and JA playing within himself are the issues. All solvable but where is OL guru Kromer?

4 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

There's times I question dorsey but I don't put the stagnant offense on him today. I probably screamed at my tv 5 times yelling "Knox is wide open" josh just didn't see him or refused to throw the shorter routes today. There was open recievers josh missed, the mind boggling ints, and the drops by davis weren't on dorsey.

THIS boggles me more than anything. Pre-bye he was excellent at taking what the defense was giving him, dinking and dunking, throwing to who was free. What’s changed?

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with your point that it looked like DPI, but it looked to me like there was a case for a pretty good push off by Gabe as well 🤷‍♂️

The Zebras either call that stuff or they don't.  Since they hadn't been calling that stuff earlier in the game, I can't beef that they didn't give Gabe the DPI there.

I was pretty unhappy about the hold.  I thought the Zebras weren't calling holding on the Jets OL all game so it was a pretty influential spot to start.

The hold is a whole ‘nother issue.  The jets long drive had a few, olineman yanking players that had a shot at the runner.  I agree they were letting that stuff go, which makes the hold to set us back 10 and negate the Diggs grab aggravating.  Again, when you’re not playing well, a lucky break or two helps to win games.  In two plays in about a minute, time runnning out,  both went the Jets way.  

It happens, and it blows. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, henry jones said:

It’s tough for the offense to get in a rhythm when they only touch the ball once a quarter.  

In the 3rd quarter the defense gave up a long drive but got them the ball back only to see the offense turn it over two plays later and advance the Jets even closer to the goal line.  That is why we didn't "touch the ball".   You want the offense to get more touches?   Get more first downs, stop the constant 20 yard deep plays and take what is given underneath.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

There is no doubt the Bills got out coached. They had no answers to stop their run attack. It was pitiful when the Bills had them pinned at the 4 yard line in the 4th quarter. Run, run, run, and more runs with no answer. That just can't happen! What adjustments did they make? No way this team makes a super Bowl appearance playing like that. The division is a log jam. I don't think teams fear the Bills. Adjustments needs to be made. I'm not a great xs and os guy. Maybe someone here can give some good insight. Right now, this is a crappy Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Nate Geary spot-on right now. We have absolutely zero middle passing game. It's either short dump offs or home run balls. That is on Dorsey. 

The lack of plays called for Knox in the middle or running back routes is something that has been far under utilized. I hope once Hines gets the playbook down he can be a receiving threat out of the backfield. And they should absolutely throw to Knox more on designed plays. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.