NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

Get Brown healthy and pray. 

That’s our best option. 

Realistically the OL is decent.  We pass every play and Allen likes to push it down the field.   Everyone knows this. 

DL’s don’t have to think.  They can just rush. 

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Have you seen the Bills secondary? Without Tre, Poyer, and Hyde they aren't anything special. Elam still learning. Johnson is average at best. The pass rush is overshadowing the Bills weaknesses in the secondary. 

But if the other team isn't passing, so what?  You're going to stay with the defense that the offense just keeps pushing you down the field in?

And it was Zach Wilson.  Is Frazier really afraid of him?

Edited by Billz4ever

Yea the more I think about it the more disgusted I am in the D game plan.  

You play safe like that vs good offenses.  

We should have been balls to the wall 8 guys in the box make Wilson do - what the freaking game plan is for near every team that plays us - throw it quick or run.  

Against great QBs the D they ran today is fine.  Against teams with Zach Wilson you need to bring heat from everywhere.  

We looked timid and lost.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Your initial comment reeked of unbelievably linear thinking. You somehow think that these guys aren’t able to handle more than one thing-that they better live, breathe, eat, sleep football. They should spend every moment of every day completely focused on football. It definitely bothers me when people think the players aren’t serious about their profession simply because they do some commercials (which are mostly filmed during the off-season or done at a team approved time during the season) or they are a part of something like a podcast. To be fair you did finally clarify what you meant.

As far as the game is concerned, both of Josh’s interceptions were baffling although it sounds like the second one was just a miscommunication. He seems to have one of these a year, last year was Jacksonville and now this one.

while I don’t appreciate the smugness and arrogance in your response, I’m glad you realized you clearly hadn’t stated what you meant and you actually made an attempt at doing so.

if you feel inclined to respond, don’t hold back as you claim to have.

Take care 

You make a lot of assumptions and have a few hot takes, not sure I appreciate your low brow approach to a message board with your version of what people should post.

While I thought it would be enjoyable engaging with someone like you, I have learned it is actually not. Your line of thinking and logic does not rise to the level of a challenge, rather it seems exhausting to try to summate what you are trying to say and even harder to conjure up a reply that you would understand and reflect on.

This stated, peace out.

Be well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

But if the other team isn't passing, so what?  You're going to stay with the defense that the offense just keeps pushing you down the field in?

I mean the clearest example of the Bills run D weakness and poor defense was in full effect. I mean the Bills had the Jets pinned on their own 4 yard line in the 4th quarter. They ran the ball down the Bills' throats on 7 or more consecutive runs. Didn't everyone know they were going to run? The team didn't deserve to win after that. That was inexcusable. You make Wilson beat you. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Frazier seems to have an unnatural fear of long pass plays. It’s like they keep him up at night.

Last week I can understand it better because we were up 3 scores, but it did expose its weakness pretty clearly.

Today though, guarding against the deep ball when the offense really isn't even really trying to throw is just beyond any sound football coaching I've ever heard of before.

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We should have been balls to the wall 8 guys in the box make Wilson do - what the freaking game plan is for near every team that plays us - throw it quick or run.  

Against great QBs the D they ran today is fine.  Against teams with Zach Wilson you need to bring heat from everywhere.  

No Hyde

No Milano

No Poyer

No White

From the second half, no Rousseau

The only experienced, (arguably) quality, players we had out there were Edmunds and Miller. We probably were a bit lost.

ETA - Oh and Phillips. Can’t even recall Oliver being mentioned.

Edited by UKBillFan

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I mean the clearest example of the Bills run D weakness and poor defense was in full effect. I mean the Bills had the Jets pinned on their own 4 yard line in the 4th quarter. They ran the ball down the Bills' throats on 7 or more consecutive runs. Didn't everyone know they were going to run? The team didn't deserve to win after that. That was inexcusable. You make Wilson beat you. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind. 

To continue to play the pass when the defense is just ramming it right at you play after play just defies logic.  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

No Hyde

No Milano

No Poyer

No White

The only experienced, (arguably) quality, players we had out there were Edmunds and Miller. We probably were a bit lost.

Enough of this. Hyde and tre have beeen out all year . Championship teams have injuries to starters every season. Still need to win division games 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, balln said:

Enough of this. Hyde and tre have beeen out all year . Championship teams have injuries to starters every season. Still need to win division games 

It's not like the Jets weren't without several key guys themselves. I can only imagine how bad today might have looked if Hall was able to play.

You play with what you've got. Our D was technically more banged up than it is now when we beat KC.  

Is the world ending? No. Are there genuine non-negligible concerns? Absolutely. I think the problems with the D are mostly injuries. You need more than just schemes to win and the Bills are done a number of starters. The offense is more of a concern. Josh does seem off, but more importantly defenses may have found ways to defense the Bills, in which case Dorsey had better put on this thinking cap and come up with counter moves, other than Josh just running it all the time.

I’m watching the Titans play the Chiefs. It occurs to me that Buffalo  has already beat both of these teams. So they’re having a bit of a swoon at this moment. I’m a strong believer that, in most cases, the past is prologue. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I could be wrong, but I think the Bills will be OK. 

• Like (+1) 3

Mackenzie is such a disappointment.

Just now, Mojo44 said:

I’m watching the Titans play the Chiefs. It occurs to me that Buffalo  has already beat both of these teams. So they’re having a bit of a swoon at this moment. I’m a strong believer that, in most cases, the past is prologue. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I could be wrong, but I think the Bills will be OK. 

Maybe your right...ok in that we will be there in the end...but not sure if we are ever going to win the big one...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Not in the nfl. Teams that win in the playoffs do tend to be those that go in hot. We can still do that. But just because we did, does not mean we will. It’s what have you done lately. 
plenty of time turn around. Concern is they have looked sloppy a lot this year. Slots of mental mistakes. Careless with the ball. OL has been shaky. Injuries. Good news is they are still good enough to be 6-2 with a lot of holes. 

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Putting aside Allen's two bad INTs and the offenses struggles the defense lost the game today.  People shouldn't be fooled by holding the Jets to 17 points. When it mattered the Bills D played terrible:

*  After the Bills took a 14 - 3 lead it looked like we were on the verge of breaking the game wide open.  Instead the Jets take the KO and drive 75 yards for a TD using up the rest of the 2nd quarter. Do people have any doubt that at that point had the Jets gone 3 and out that the Bills would have put more points on the board taking a 17 - 3 or 21 -3 halftime lead.

*  At the start of the 3rd quarter the Bills D could have set the tone by forcing a Jet's punt.  Instead the Jets use up 9 minutes of the quarter before losing a fumble.

*  Late in the 4th quarter with the game tied 17 - 17 the Bills punt the ball to the Jets 4 yard line.  A three and out and the Bills offense has great field position to use up the rest of the game and escape with a win. Instead the Jets run the ball down the Bills throat driving to the 3 yard line and kicking the winning FG.

There was always a possibility that the Jets D would give the Bills O trouble.  But the idea that the Jet's offense could go on multiple long, time consuming drives at critical points of the game was something I didn't think could happen.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Mackenzie is such a disappointment.

Maybe your right...ok in that we will be there in the end...but not sure if we are ever going to win the big one...

I have the same worry. I’ve had it for more years than I like to think about. Just have to keep trying.

By the way, did I say in my original post that I’m having a few bourbons to help take the sting out of today’s loss. It could be affecting my thinking

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not in the nfl. Teams that win in the playoffs do tend to be those that go in hot. We can still do that. But just because we did, does not mean we will. It’s what have you done lately. 
plenty of time turn around. Concern is they have looked sloppy a lot this year. Slots of mental mistakes. Careless with the ball. OL has been shaky. Injuries. Good news is they are still good enough to be 6-2 with a lot of holes. 

Disagree! It’s quite true of the NFL. And I actually think you’re making my point anyway. Recent history has showed us that this bills team is likely to get hot again.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I would disagree.  How many seasons did  we seen the Bills get off to a great start, only to tank the rest of the way?  I'm not saying that's going to happen to this team and I don't think it will because there's just too much talent, but I'm a believer that opponents study you and will mimic other teams where they have success against you.  GB showed everyone that our Nickel Defense will struggle against the run.  Didn't so much matter last week because we were up 3 scores, so we got away with letting GB chew their own clock.  That same blueprint can be used against us in close games, like it was today. We have a Defensive Coordinator that apparently is more worried about the long ball even when his D is getting pushed up and down the field by an offense committed to the run and they even had a QB who's known to struggle against pressure.

If other teams are adjusting to what we are doing, but we are not adjusting to what they are doing, that's probably not a good recipe for winning and gives me concerns going forward.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

No Hyde

No Milano

No Poyer

No White

ETA - Oh and Phillips. Can’t even recall Oliver being mentioned.

Phillips & Oliver did not shine today. Epenesa was a joke.  I don't even notice when Boogie is in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

We had long drives the first three possessions and got 14 points, Josh's interception killed a drive deep in the red zone.   21 points would have won the game. 

Two weeks in a row the offense was a non-factor in the second half.  We never threatened to score a TD after that 3rd possession, settling for a 51-yard FG and missing a 53 yarder.  

So, my question about Dorsey would be does have more than a first half game-plan?  Does he counter when they counter?   It has not looked like that the past few weeks.    In Dorsey's defense the plays might be fine if the execution was better.   Today we got close to nothing from Davis, Knox, McKenzie, and Singletary. 

I think we’re missing something as fans.

Two weeks in a row the offense struggles and two weeks in a row Davis draws CB1 coverage all game. 

I will have to go back and watch, but I’d like to get a count of routes run by Knox. It seems lazy to say “well he is primarily blocking”. Right now just feels like the Allen is force feeding Diggs. 

To your point, we need to commit to the run a bit more. I thought trading Moss would help that since it would give Singletary more touches to get into a rhythm. Fast forward…it didn’t. 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Putting aside Allen's two bad INTs and the offenses struggles the defense lost the game today.  People shouldn't be fooled by holding the Jets to 17 points. When it mattered the Bills D played terrible:

*  After the Bills took a 14 - 3 lead it looked like we were on the verge of breaking the game wide open.  Instead the Jets take the KO and drive 75 yards for a TD using up the rest of the 2nd quarter. Do people have any doubt that at that point had the Jets gone 3 and out that the Bills would have put more points on the board taking a 17 - 3 or 21 -3 halftime lead.

*  At the start of the 3rd quarter the Bills D could have set the tone by forcing a Jet's punt.  Instead the Jets use up 9 minutes of the quarter before losing a fumble.

*  Late in the 4th quarter with the game tied 17 - 17 the Bills punt the ball to the Jets 4 yard line.  A three and out and the Bills offense has great field position to use up the rest of the game and escape with a win. Instead the Jets run the ball down the Bills throat driving to the 3 yard line and kicking the winning FG.

There was always a possibility that the Jets D would give the Bills O trouble.  But the idea that the Jet's offense could go on multiple long, time consuming drives at critical points of the game was something I didn't think could happen.

These mental gymnastics to me are the ones that make me laugh.....the Jets punched us in the face today and we were okay with it.   Josh continually was looking for plays that weren't there.   I don't know if he expected them to have some options open deep but they weren't there and he refused to check down.  On defense, they made Zach look great with easy throws to the backs or timing routes that maximized routes being at an X spot.   

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Nate Geary spot-on right now. We have absolutely zero middle passing game. It's either short dump offs or home run balls. That is on Dorsey. 

This actually feels like an early criticism of Allen. It is almost deja vu. We’ve had this conversation before. 

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

The lack of plays called for Knox in the middle or running back routes is something that has been far under utilized. I hope once Hines gets the playbook down he can be a receiving threat out of the backfield. And they should absolutely throw to Knox more on designed plays. 

As much as the Bills say they want a receiving back, they don’t actually want one. We spent two years benching Yeldon, to draft Cook, to then trade for Hines. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

These mental gymnastics to me are the ones that make me laugh.....the Jets punched us in the face today and we were okay with it.   Josh continually was looking for plays that weren't there.   I don't know if he expected them to have some options open deep but they weren't there and he refused to check down.  On defense, they made Zach look great with easy throws to the backs or timing routes that maximized routes being at an X spot.   

It's not "mental gymnastics" to point out the obvious:  at critical points in the game the Bill's defense could not stop the Jets. 

The Bills offense has had 10 quarters (2 vs LAR, 3 vs TEN, 3 vs PIT, 2 vs GB) where they have been obscenely good. The other 22 have been pretty bad, and as a result, 5 of their last 6 games has 17, 23,24,17,27 points from the offense. THOSE stats suggest a lot of work needs to be done.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

What sounds the alarm bells even more is the defense. They look to be very bad at stopping the run which was a clear strength early on. Also, teams are throwing the ball quickly and negating the Bills pass rush. The Bills defense is built to keep plays in front of them. The young secondary is getting exposed on short quick routes whether it's slants, screens, or quick outs. 

The Bills offense is out of sync. Thus far, Diggs is the only reliable offensive player on the team. The oline is just not that good. Thus far, teams are pressuring Allen and he's making mistakes. Frankly. Allen is making mistakes even when the pocket is clean. His vision and mechanics are way off now. Allen is the least of my worries. I think he will bounce back. However, the team needs to make adjustments on various levels and execute. 

I keep coming back to the fact that Allen said he didn’t do anything but rest and recover this offseason.

With the benefit of hindsight, Allen hasn’t just had two bad games. He’s certainly looked bad. The guy recently reinvented and retooled his natural throwing motion. Not hugely surprising the whole system looks wonky midway through the season. 

I know in my sport it would take years to make the smallest adjustments permanent and applicable under both physical and mental pressure. I couldn’t imagine not doing anything to reinforce that between world championship seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.