NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

11 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If the offense isn't scoring almost at will, it seems the whole team struggles because of it.  I had a feeling the 2nd half of last week was going to carry over to this week.  Lots of people here flamed me for ringing alarm bells that the GB game plan exposed Frazier's use of Nickel as our base D all the time.  The only responses I got were "we were winning by 17".  OK, and as I said last week, Frazier is too stubborn and rigid to make the adjustments he needs to based on what the offense is doing. Jets clearly were focused on running, but Frazier is more worried about preventing the deep ball.

Jets do a copy/paste of what GB was doing against our Nickel and Frazier wants to act like we are up the 17 pts we were last week. That is why he's not getting any phone calls for HC.

Sadly, a very accurate post. 

1 hour ago, julian said:

These people didn’t know this before hand ? It’s only seeing it play out on the field the last 6 QTRs that they now realize teams who win Super Bowls must play well in the playoffs  ?

Maybe they already knew this and are just being emotional and overreacting to a loss, which by the way is a perfectly acceptable approach to fan hood, just not the one I subscribe to.

Great for you. Beating the Chiefs 4 weeks ago is ancient history to others. I don’t know where I stand in the range, but fabs of either perspective can’t watch that performance and be happy.

Wondering if Josh's timings off bc he feels rushed by the O-line not keeping pressure off? If so, can getting Brown back help? Quessenbury has not been very good (the strip where Josh got hurt was Q getting beat clean, had a few others too & it seems Knox has to stay in to help a lot w/ blocking). Don't know, just a thought. Probably more issues than just this. 

13 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

From what I saw our base nickel was about 2 pennies short. 

If the game is close, teams will not have to abandon the run like they do in the games where the Bills Offense has been putting up big points.

That's been masking the weakness against the run using the Nickel and we could get away with it since teams were playing from behind.  GB said screw it, we're running anyway and Jets did a copy/paste today since Frazier wants to stay in Nickel even though the offense is committed to running.

I still have no idea why we needed to be in a nickel defense against an offense that was not really trying to establish a passing game #1 and #2 it was against Zach Wilson. You are seriously that concerned about Wilson you are willing to get gashed on the ground?  What kind of thinking is this?

Edited by Billz4ever

8 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

I don't mind us using this base nickel, but if you have a team like (GB- no wrs) or NYJ ( mediocre qb) you gotta adjust out of this nickel. They're going to run the damn ball. As will Dalvin Cook next weekend. This incessant stubborn strategy to stay in the nickel forever is just foolish. Good teams should be making adjustments weekly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Great for you. Beating the Chiefs 4 weeks ago is ancient history to others. I don’t know where I stand in the range, but fabs of either perspective can’t watch that performance and be happy.

I can’t imagine any fan being happy after a loss, all those sad will hopefully cheer up by mid week and see the Bills still the 1 seed and steer their direction towards the Vikings and the remaining 9 games, 5 of which are played at home.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Anyone have a replay of the Diggs catch that got erased because of the BS holding penalty?

Was it definitely a catch?

I didn't think so based on what they showed on TV but they didn't give us a great shot of it. 

can't wait for another week of Tre white in normal contact practice gear only to not to play again.

1 minute ago, Old Coot said:

The D sorely missed Milano.  If he in the Jets can't / won't do that.

If the Defense is playing Nickel like they were, yes they do.

Milano played last week when GB exposed our Nickel against the run.

Frazier didn't adjust.  If the other team is running on you, why are you playing a defensive scheme which is designed to be stronger against the pass?

Are we really afraid of Zach Wilson?

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

I am upset? Enlighten me on how you came to that conclusion.  You are projecting.

As for what petty means, geez look it up.  I should not have to do your work for you.

My goodness you look petty in this thread.  Give specific examples? Are you serious, did you watch the game? Josh threw interceptions that literally by any measure were bizarre....like right at the defender with no receiver close.  Sure, there will be reasons given, but his reads and throws were off. This is not to mention his really surprising lack of pocket awareness and forcing balls to receivers that he seemed to have developed out of.  His apparent audibles also did not seem to work or he did not audible into a play that seemed to have a chance.  All this, to me anyway, leads to him being distracted.  Which is not an usual place to be in life.  We all have been distracted in life with trying to do too many things at times.

You are free to disagree, as this is a message board.  

Finally, give you a break? I have.  A lot here.  Ponder that for a moment.

Take care. 

Your initial comment reeked of unbelievably linear thinking. You somehow think that these guys aren’t able to handle more than one thing-that they better live, breathe, eat, sleep football. They should spend every moment of every day completely focused on football. It definitely bothers me when people think the players aren’t serious about their profession simply because they do some commercials (which are mostly filmed during the off-season or done at a team approved time during the season) or they are a part of something like a podcast. To be fair you did finally clarify what you meant.

As far as the game is concerned, both of Josh’s interceptions were baffling although it sounds like the second one was just a miscommunication. He seems to have one of these a year, last year was Jacksonville and now this one.

while I don’t appreciate the smugness and arrogance in your response, I’m glad you realized you clearly hadn’t stated what you meant and you actually made an attempt at doing so.

if you feel inclined to respond, don’t hold back as you claim to have.

Take care 

5 minutes ago, julian said:

I can’t imagine any fan being happy after a loss, all those sad will hopefully cheer up by mid week and see the Bills still the 1 seed and steer their direction towards the Vikings and the remaining 9 games, 5 of which are played at home.

Still the #1 seed?  They are 1/2 game up in the loss column against Miami and NY and they are both 2-1 in the division, while the Bills are 0-2. 

Not quite as rosy a picture as you are painting here. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Your initial comment reeked of unbelievably linear thinking. You somehow think that these guys aren’t able to handle more than one thing-that they better live, breathe, eat, sleep football. They should spend every moment of every day completely focused on football. It definitely bothers me when people think the players aren’t serious about their profession simply because they do some commercials (which are mostly filmed during the off-season or done at a team approved time during the season) or they are a part of something like a podcast. To be fair you did finally clarify what you meant.

As far as the game is concerned, both of Josh’s interceptions were baffling although it sounds like the second one was just a miscommunication. He seems to have one of these a year, last year was Jacksonville and now this one.

while I don’t appreciate the smugness and arrogance in your response, I’m glad you realized you clearly hadn’t stated what you meant and you actually made an attempt at doing so.

if you feel inclined to respond, don’t hold back as you claim to have.

Take care 

Talk about a passive aggressive post. Wow...

• Eyeroll 1

Id still like to know how the idiots at CBS sports dont show a replay of the Dawkins holding call. Regardless of whether Diggs caught the ball, the call was a huge and the producer in the truck didnt call for a replay ?? Ive seen High school football broadcasts that are better than what we saw from CBS today. Suddenly I had a flashback to the In living Color Men on Film guys saying "when you watch you C  ...... BS...". 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Still the #1 seed?  They are 1/2 game up in the loss column against Miami and NY and they are both 2-1 in the division, while the Bills are 0-2. 

Not quite as rosy a picture as you are painting here. 

I didn’t mean to offend, fans are entitled to feel any which way they desire, I’m just pointing out the unquestionably facts.. after 9 weeks they have a 6-2 record and sit atop the entire conference.

The sun will rise and the Bills are the only team in the AFC who controls their own destiny.

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Id still like to know how the idiots at CBS sports dont show a replay of the Dawkins holding call. Regardless of whether Diggs caught the ball, the call was a huge and the producer in the truck didnt call for a replay ?? Ive seen High school football broadcasts that are better than what we saw from CBS today. Suddenly I had a flashback to the In living Color Men on Film guys saying "when you watch you C  ...... BS...". 

That call was a killer

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yes, nobody in the NFL had noticed on film that the Bills run a base nickel until last week. :lol::lol::doh:

Let me clarify it for you. Teams like Tenn with Henry weren't able to expose the Bills run D. It looked as though after several games the Bills run D was a strength and one of the best in the league. With that said, the Green Bay Packers gashed the Bills run D. They exposed the weaknesses in the Bills run D. The Jets clearly watched film and equally dominated the Bills run D. With a stellar runnong back named Carter, Robinson, Wilson, etc...To the tune of 175 yards or so. Seven straight runs from their 4 yard line in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. It wasn't about about nickel base. It's about how the Bills couldn't stop obvious runs in critical moments. The Packers shed light on the Bills run D. 

1 minute ago, julian said:

I didn’t mean to offend, fans are entitled to feel any which way they desire, I’m just pointing out the unquestionably facts.. after 9 weeks they have a 6-2 record and sit atop the entire conference.

The sun will rise and the Bills are the only team in the AFC who controls their own destiny.

No offense taken, but they are 1 loss away from being in 3rd place...not in the Conference, in the DIVISION.

Again, not quite as rosy a picture.  And the way they are playing right now, another loss isn't hard to imagine.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Have to figure out the run D or Dalvin Cook will kick our ass

Over under 200 yards rushing for Cook? 

6 minutes ago, julian said:

Controlling your own destiny seems like a statement of desperation to me. 

3 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Have to figure out the run D or Dalvin Cook will kick our ass

Get out of the base nickel D for starters.

You play the nickel to better defend against the pass.  The last two weeks have made it crystal clear this D can get pushed around by offenses in bigger sets.

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Nate Geary spot-on right now. We have absolutely zero middle passing game. It's either short dump offs or home run balls. That is on Dorsey. 

So last week when I looked at all-22, I saw a number of plays where there was a short option, a middle option, and a deep option - and Allen was consistently going for the deep option, even if coverage was good and there was a safety headed his way.

I would have to look at the all-22 before agreeing with Nate Geary that the lack of middle passing game is on Dorsey, and not on Allen either not trusting or not taking what is there.

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Saw the same thing. JA seems to be caught up in the big play vs the right play. Knox under makes the next down very makeable. Packers game same thing. OL, run D, and JA playing within himself are the issues. All solvable but where is OL guru Kromer?

This is what I saw.  Allen caught up in the aggressive deep play and overlooking the middle play or the short play; early on in the game, he took the short play and it made yards for us and kept 3rd down manageable.  But then we got away from that.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Over under 200 yards rushing for Cook? 

To me, that's all up to Frazier, but for some reason, he wants to defend against the pass always, even when the other team has committed to the run.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

You are, of course, correct. But this feels dire because since the second half of the GB game it feels like we are watching Rookie Josh again. His footwork seems off, he’s been inaccurate, and he’s having trouble reading defenses. For as incredible as he looked before the bye, it’s just shocking to see. There were no “wow” throws today. It feels like the other shoe has dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Well, it was.  We came into the game still without Tre and without Poyer and Milano.  That's huge; they are probably our two best defenders overall and certainly two of our best coverage and run D guys.  Then we lost Elam then Jackson.

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

How does taking him out of the game help his mental game?

helps him see the game at game speed from the sideline.  I think he is having trouble reading certain coverages or something.   Not “mental” like lost confidence as “mental” in terms of play diagnoses, etc.  

18 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

What an #######

19 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

What an #######

i now hate the Giants.  And he still sucks. 

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

To me, that's all up to Frazier, but for some reason, he wants to defend against the pass when the other team is committed to the run.

Have you seen the Bills secondary? Without Tre, Poyer, and Hyde they aren't anything special. Elam still learning. Johnson is average at best. The pass rush is overshadowing the Bills weaknesses in the secondary. 

37 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't mind us using this base nickel, but if you have a team like (GB- no wrs) or NYJ ( mediocre qb) you gotta adjust out of this nickel. They're going to run the damn ball. As will Dalvin Cook next weekend. This incessant stubborn strategy to stay in the nickel forever is just foolish. Good teams should be making adjustments weekly.

Yep, it's like Frazier has told himself that's our D and I'm sticking to it, no matter how bad they are getting pushed around.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.