Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers for multiple 2nd day draft picks

Draconator

22 hours ago, DJB said:

I can’t believe you guys not wanting to pay for CMC. Heck I’d have given them our last 3 2nd rounders easily.

Cook

Epenesa

Ford

A bust and 2 backups. 

Would have been a cheap price to pay for an elite RB instead of using an average RB and teams not needing to be worried about our run game 

These aren’t even our last three 2nd round picks 🤦🏻

I kind of knew McCaffery wasn't coming to Buffalo. Beane used  #2 for James Cook and he is still learning the offense. To Trade for a guy with simular skills would be admitting a draft day mistake. 

I don't blame Brandon Beane for the cover up :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t see how that adds up to 50M in rollover when they were against the cap when the season began- opening up some money from Jimmy, but not that much.  I don’t see how Deebos extension can free up that much when the original 4th year of his rookie deal was under 2M.  

Who said they were a dumb team that doesn’t know how to build?  I said it a strange strategy to spend so many assets on the RB position.  And I’m right.  It is a strange strategy.  This RB investment is up there with the saints trading for Ricky Williams and the Vikings trading for Herschel Walker.  And neither were coming off 2 season ending injuries.  

Then click the link and read for yourself if you don't understand how they have $50 million, i gave you an overview, the full data is there.  It's what they have. 

Lol this is no where near Ricky Williams or Hershal Walker..  Rickey was traded for 8 draft picks including two first rounders and never played a snap in the NFL at the time. Walker was traded for 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders,  a third, and sixth and had only run for 1k once at the time and only twice in his career he was a monumental college player but as a pro really only 1 great year. 

49ers didn't give up a single 1st rounder. He was acquired for far less and is so much better than either of those guys ever were. 

They gave up 2, 3, 4 then a 5 next year..  but they also received 2 3rd rounders this year for their coach leaving,  so the value of these picks changes drastically to them.  They are playing with house money for the extra picks.  Really the way they are looking at their assets is they give up a 2, 3, 4, 5 and receive CMC, 3, 3. I think every team in the NFL would do that deal and twice on Sunday. 

CMC isn't just a RB, he's a special elite talent and is a receiver as well and plays the slot and out wide. He's caught 100+ receptions TWICE already, he's the only "RB" ever to do that in NFL history, there's only been 3 others RBs that had 100 catches once.  You need to get beyond the RB label, he's not just an RB, he's a receiver as well,  he's an elite game breaking talent. 

BUT... this does carry risk as he had two injury riddled years just now although no serious injuries and none required surgery. That's the landmine that everyone will be watching for. 

Any time you add a player that has caught 100 passes twice that helps your QB. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No you said he’s only played in 16 games in 3 years.  You are literally calling this season a full year in that statement when ONLY 6 games have been played, which he has not missed any.  

He missed games with injuries in ONLY 2 seasons…2020 and 2021.  Implying it’s been over 3 is a false statement.  

He played in 10 games over 2 years then played in 100% of the games this season.  Those are the facts, you don’t get to skew the language them to make them sound worse. 

So did Fred Taylor, and then they took the steps to make sure they prevented it from persisting and he spent the rest of his career mostly injury free and had a long great career.  

Im not saying he definitely won’t still get injuries, I’m just saying it’s not a foregone conclusion he will either.  

Just stop man you’re losing this argument he must be on your fantasy team or something 

https://thesportswave.net/the-case-of-christian-mccaffrey-injury-prone-or-over-worked/?amp=1 

46 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Then click the link and read for yourself if you don't understand how they have $50 million, i gave you an overview, the full data is there.  It's what they have. 

Lol this is no where near Ricky Williams or Hershal Walker..  Rickey was traded for 8 draft picks including two first rounders and never played a snap in the NFL at the time. Walker was traded for 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders,  a third, and sixth and had only run for 1k once at the time and only twice in his career he was a monumental college player but as a pro really only 1 great year. 

49ers didn't give up a single 1st rounder. He was acquired for far less and is so much better than either of those guys ever were. 

They gave up 2, 3, 4 then a 5 next year..  but they also received 2 3rd rounders this year for their coach leaving,  so the value of these picks changes drastically to them.  They are playing with house money for the extra picks.  Really the way they are looking at their assets is they give up a 2, 3, 4, 5 and receive CMC, 3, 3. I think every team in the NFL would do that deal and twice on Sunday. 

CMC isn't just a RB, he's a special elite talent and is a receiver as well and plays the slot and out wide. He's caught 100+ receptions TWICE already, he's the only "RB" ever to do that in NFL history, there's only been 3 others RBs that had 100 catches once.  You need to get beyond the RB label, he's not just an RB, he's a receiver as well,  he's an elite game breaking talent. 

BUT... this does carry risk as he had two injury riddled years just now although no serious injuries and none required surgery. That's the landmine that everyone will be watching for. 

I see different numbers posted on different websites. And I don’t see where the 50M comes from, meanwhile, only one site shows that rollover.  I’m not saying they don’t have a 50M rollover-  But the specifics of the 50M are not clear

Regarding the trade itself-  read deeper-  niners have invested 7 draft picks on the rb position since April 2021- 2 2nd round picks, 2 3rds, 1 4th, 5th and 1 6th-  that is a similar investment in the rb position.  I didn’t say it was the same exact thing-  

i realize how good he is can be.  I also realize how easily injured he is.  In 20 and 21 he had 5 lower body injuries (2 ankle injuries).

Imo, its a great trade if the only thing that matters is putting the team in position to win a super bowl this year year and maybe next-  as long as he’s healthy.  🎲 🎲 

If they win a super bowl with him, they hit the jackpot, great trade,  If they don’t win one- it’s a fail.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I mean, if you don't have a QB, you get as many other playmakers as possible. They also want to eliminate the variables around Lance to see if he can truly be a franchise guy. Just like Miami's trying to do with Tua.

Lance is close to a lost cause.  In 2023, he’ll be coming off a serious injury, having played a total of three games since 2019, at NDSU.  Not good.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Just stop man you’re losing this argument he must be on your fantasy team or something 

https://thesportswave.net/the-case-of-christian-mccaffrey-injury-prone-or-over-worked/?amp=1 

LMAO with this response.  What is it you are so confused about?  I mean seriously.  I have literally said multiple times now it was 2 years of injuries in 2020 and 2021.  Yet you keep posting at me with the same article that verbatim says it was…wait for it…TWO years and those 2 specific years.  LMAO

You however originally implied he’s missed time over THREE years, which is a false way to put it given he has NOT MISSED ANY GAMES THIS YEAR. 

So I don’t know what to tell you, because not only way the way you first said it is wrong, you for some reason keep posting an article that literally tells you that you are wrong.  

Maybe try reading the article you keep posting?

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO with this response.  What is it your so confused about?  I mean seriously.  I have literally said multiple times now it was 2 years of injuries in 2020 and 2021.  Yet you keep posting at me with the same article that verbatim says it was…wait for it…TWO years and those 2 specific yeas.  LMAO

You however originally implied he’s missed time over THREE years, which is a false way to put it given he has NOT MISSED ANY GAMES THIS YEAR. 

So I don’t know what to tell you, because not only way the way you first said it wrong, you for some reason keep posting an article that literally tells you that you are wrong.  

This seems like a super important argument.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

I won’t pretend to know and I don’t really care either way.  I don’t worry about NFC teams-  they aren’t our primary competition. 

did they really roll over 50M from this year? How the hell did they do that? They aren’t paying a qb big bucks but they’re paying a bunch of other guys big bucks.  I’m

really confused.  Can anyone shed some light on the details?

13 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's not wrong and CMC is included with his $12 million cap hit.

FWIW, Spotrac has repaired its database for the 49ers and ALL players are accounted for.

They have $4M in rollover from this year not $50M.

As of now they have $5.8M in cap space in 2023.  I'm in Spotrac a lot and I knew they were still in "update" mode when you 

guys checked yesterday.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/2023/

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

FWIW, Spotrac has repaired its database for the 49ers and ALL players are accounted for.

As of now they have $5.8M in cap space in 2023.  I'm in Spotrac a lot and I knew they were still in "update" mode when you 

guys checked yesterday.

DING DING!  I knew they didnt have no 50 mil of cap space.  They came into the season with one of the worst caps in the NFL.  They restructured a few guys.  They had 185 mil allocated.  There is just no way to get to 50 mil.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO with this response.  What is it your so confused about?  I mean seriously.  I have literally said multiple times now it was 2 years of injuries in 2020 and 2021.  Yet you keep posting at me with the same article that verbatim says it was…wait for it…TWO years and those 2 specific yeas.  LMAO

So I don’t know what to tell you, because not only way the way you first said it wrong, you for some reason keep posting an article that literally tells you that you are wrong.  

Honestly you need to just stop go get your 49ers jersey with his number before he gets hurt again by the holidays he has done it the last 2 years and ain’t the biggest guy in the the world. You implied he had 4 separate injuries since 2020 my goodness. LMAO!!!!!!!

BTW one article was the sporting news the other was sports wave maybe you should pay a little more attention 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Haha…I hear ya, and I really don’t get it.  He keeps posting back at me with an article that literally says verbatim the same thing I said but then says the article says I’m wrong.  Makes no sense 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Haha…I hear ya, and I really don’t get it.  He keeps posting back at me with an article that literally says verbatim the same thing I said but then says the article says I’m wrong.  Makes no sense 

It’s two articles 

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Having fun arguing with the President of the CMC fan club that he isn’t injury prone is kinda funny 

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Honestly you need to just stop go get your 49ers jersey with his number before he gets hurt again by the holidays he has done it the last 2 years and ain’t the biggest guy in the the world. You implied he had 4 separate injuries since 2020 my goodness. LMAO!!!!!!!

Hahah well you must have at least read your own article now cuz you went from incorrectly saying I was wrong to a pouty tantrum over not being right.  

Good talk.  Lol

21 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

DING DING!  I knew they didnt have no 50 mil of cap space.  They came into the season with one of the worst caps in the NFL.  They restructured a few guys.  They had 185 mil allocated.  There is just no way to get to 50 mil.

I did too but thought it was wiser just to wait until it was corrected instead of arguing about it.

As to the 49ers and the CMC move.  I guess they are "all in" trying to get deep into the playoffs this season.

I'm not sure how 2023 and on will pan out.  I see some hard times for them going forward unless Lance really improves.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

guys checked yesterday.

Ok, now this makes a lot more sense-  thanks for posting my man!  

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Can we get another overview?  Doesn’t seem like the data adds up 

15 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

he's oddly enough correct

image.png.a5b4f9685b0667f9e2ae7fb29e2211e1.png

Edit: Also FWIW we are ($7million) - yes that is over the projected cap

Not oddly enough- he’s wrong.  Big shock

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

And how did daddy do with those scrubs? He made some decent fantasy football pickups for us but won nothing with Tatum Bell, Shaun Droughns, Mike Anderson,  etc... the only time he won anything was with Terrell Davis who was an absolute monster that posted back to back 2k yards from scrimmage. 

I'm not advocating for high investments in RBs, I'm really not.  I think contracts like the one the Packers have Aaron Jones are stupid... however... there are a few select elite talents that are worth it every so often and with what CMC brings as both a runner and receiver is an immense help for a young QB. Easy screens, check downs, and designed 5 yard dumps that keep the chains moving and create explosive plays? Now you are simplifying the game for your QB and keeping the defense honest.

Tom Brady played only part time in college and sat for a year+ before he got the call.  Steve Young was buried for years. It's extremely common for QBs to sit for 1 year too... but all of that is irrelevant my or your opinion of Lance is meaningless, what matters is the 49ers doing the best they can to support what they consider a good QB.

The only outstanding issue with CMC is he is made of paper machete. 

How did he do with those scrubs?  He won a 2 Super Bowls- back to back-  6th round running back that no one wanted- turned HoFer…..thanks to the shanahan offense.  

49 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I did too but thought it was wiser just to wait until it was corrected instead of arguing about it.

As to the 49ers and the CMC move.  I guess they are "all in" trying to get deep into the playoffs this season.

I'm not sure how 2023 and on will pan out.  I see some hard times for them going forward unless Lance really improves.

Its a lot of draft capital but it at least semi makes sense for them.  They are in a weak div/conf.  They dont have an elite qb.  Their run game is already phenomenal.  They have already been to the SB with this style and almost made it last season again.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I am glad the Bills stood pat at offering a 2nd rounder (supposedly). The 49ers gave up a high volume of good picks for MCC and he might be with it as a talent but for a cap strapped Bills team that drafts really well it is key to have a bunch of draft picks to replace talent with cheaper younger players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Your posts will age poorly 

Me:  McCaffrey only had 2 injury plagued seasons in Car, not 3 (as you originally stated). (FACT)

You:  Your posts will age poorly.

Ummmmm...McCaffrey no longer plays in Car, so how can a fact that now can never change age poorly?  LMAO This might be the most pointless and weirdest convo I have ever been involved with on here.

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

guys checked yesterday.

Thanks, well if I check over the cap right now they have SF with $15.9 MM cap space, so who knows.  But it's not $50MM aparently. They have some low hanging fruit to restructure as well. 

21 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I like your options 1 & 3: getting safety help and David Montgomery — a proven back who's over 220 lbs (our heaviest back, Moss, is listed at just 207).

Shakir and Crowder are more than fine at slot, IMHO.

Crowder is on IR with a broken ankle

They haven't said it's season ending, but it's not too likely he's back in 4 weeks

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile- the niners OL still sucks

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

49ers are not a good team,  despite what many here think

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm sick of the genius title given to Kyle Shanahan

It’s getting tired with them.  Regardless of Lance or Jimmy as it makes no difference.  Even when they are “good” they are a 9-8, 10-7 team, at best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, ArtVandalay said:

The game they lost to Chicago was a monsoon, horrendous field conditions... you would have figured The Weather Man would know that. 

They are 3-3 and first place in their division.  It's possible they miss the playoffs but not probable. 2-0 in division games so far with Ws over Rams and Seahawks.

What’s your opinion now Arty Pants?

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

49ers are a good team with a good defense. McCaffrey will incorporate into their offense in the coming weeks and Shanahan will maximize him. Today, they just ran into arguably the best team in football. 49ers will win their division.

That's a tough argument to make after the Bills beat the Chiefs AT Arrowhead last week.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

49ers are a good team with a good defense. McCaffrey will incorporate into their offense in the coming weeks and Shanahan will maximize him. Today, they just ran into arguably the best team in football. 49ers will win their division.

Lol sure. And the excuses for losing to the Falcons? The Bears? 

Such consistently horrible takes.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It’s getting tired with them.  Regardless of Lance or Jimmy as it makes no difference.  Even when they are “good” they are a 9-8, 10-7 team, at best.

Eh- they’re better than 9-7 when healthy imo.  Missing Armstead is huge-  he’s been a force in recent years-  especially since they moved him inside.  He’s a difference maker. They’ve missed more games to injury than anyone.  

I don’t think they’d beat us- but if they can get somewhat healthy, I think they can win the nfc- Philly might be better, but I think they match up well with Philly.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.