Which player on the roster baffles you that they are on this team?

Wizard

I think Shakir made the WR decision (and maybe the Blackshear decision - punt returner) pretty easy as he was able to be effective outside in the preseason and secure his spot as the punt returner.  Hodgins had to prove he could be an effective gunner to overtake Kumerow.  He didn't.  They made the right call and hopefully can put him on the practice squad and activate him if Diggs or Davis gets hurt.

Blackshear was still the #4 RB despite flashing in preseason so there wasn't a spot for him.  Maybe develop him on the practice squad as his blocking needs to improve.  He'll have the inside track to split carries with Moss or Singletary next year if one of them gets released.  If some team snatches him.  Oh well.  

Sweeney is the correct answer here.  I thought Howard and Morris were the better blockers and pass catchers.  He provides no special teams value.  It's not good when the main argument is he's well liked in the locker room.  So are orange slices at halftime (do they still do that?) but I'm not giving them a roster spot.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll say Sweeney. Stevenson is going to IR. I get his big-play ability appealing to the Bills. I don’t understand what Sweeney does well? 

Has Stevenson shown any big play ability though? I mean I get in theory he has it. But don't you eventually have to put something on film? He is either hurt or running into backsides every time he is on the field. Hia best chance to make an impact in the NFL would be as a double for the Sanchize!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Stevenson (unless running into the ass of your teammates is now a thing I am not sure what value he adds)

Sweeney (bad at football)

Hart (I get that people can improve but this would need to be Clark Kent's unattractive, half-brother turning into Superman)

It's that. I don't know why Bills fans still need this explaining every year but Taiwan Jones is really, really good at what he does. He isn't replaceable by any Tom, Dick or Isaiah that you just pluck off the bottom end of the roster.

If Stevenson is injured I don’t think we could cut him? Wouldn’t we have had to give him a roster place then move him to IR today to free it up?

That’s not to say McBeane love him for so unfathomable reason so wouldn’t have moved him on anyway.

9 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Stevenson over Hodgins and Can Roten over Mancz make no sense to me. I’m no Sweeney fan, but I also don’t get all the hate he’s been getting. I think people just wanted to believe that OJ Howard would be good and don’t want to admit he sucked.

He legitimately played really well in the preseason.

Pretty sure they only kept Stevenson because he is injured.  I expect him to go to ir today

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Has Stevenson shown any big play ability though? I mean I get in theory he has it. But don't you eventually have to put something on film? He is either hurt or running into backsides every time he is on the field. Hia best chance to make an impact in the NFL would be as a double for the Sanchize!

He hasn’t played. Didn’t he bust a kickoff or 2 last preseason? He took 9% of his college kickoff returns back for TDs. Again, if you’re debating the end of the roster you should always give the edge to “talent” or “a special skill.” He COULD offer something if it came together and he was healthy. I don’t see what Sweeney COULD offer in the best case scenario that you couldn’t find on the street? 

To be clear, I’m not saying that Stevenson should have made the team. I can pretty easily see the justification from them for it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sweeney is on the team because Howard did so badly this summer, and keeping Howard just because he got paid would have been like throwing good money after bad. 

But who knows if Sweeney will make to the end of the season.  If there are multiple injuries in another position group, Sweeney will be cut to create a roster spot for a new player.

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He hasn’t played. Didn’t he bust a kickoff or 2 last preseason? He took 9% of his college kickoff returns back for TDs. Again, if you’re debating the end of the roster you should always give the edge to “talent” or “a special skill.” He COULD offer something if it came together and he was healthy. I don’t see what Sweeney COULD offer in the best case scenario that you couldn’t find on the street? 

To be clear, I’m not saying that Stevenson should have made the team. I can pretty easily see the justification from them for it though. 

When he got on the field in the regular season he was worse than McKenzie in the returner role. I am all for keeping the special skill. But at some point you have to show that you have that special skill rather than just professing to possess it. 

8 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Sweeney is on the team because Howard did so badly this summer, and keeping Howard just because he got paid would have been like throwing good money after bad. 

But who knows if Sweeney will make to the end of the season.  If there are multiple injuries in another position group, Sweeney will be cut to create a roster spot for a new player.

Nobody is arguing that they should have kept Howard just because he got paid. But Sweeney has shown by now that he doesn't belong on an NFL roster. He is bad at football. He can catch in fairness to him, but he moves like a sloth with a turd hanging out and he couldn't block a mashed potato. I'd have gone a tight end light for now and see if I can pick one up from cuts. 

Edited by GunnerBill

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's Sweeney. I know OJ Howard had a disappointing offseason but he is a better TE than Sweeney by default. I don't understand eating the dead cap hit only to keep a lesser player on the team. Hopefully he is only on the team for right now until they need his roster spot for a different position.

I agree.  I would’ve kept Howard for his blocking ability and red zone target.  We need more size in the end zone which is my reasoning.  Sweeney has significant limitations physically.  That’s why I like Morris much more as he is a closer fit to Knox in his athleticism.

I wouldn’t get on the fear train on Tre.  As Sal said yesterday, this is more about Tre’s career as a Bill, and airing on the side of caution that he is completely healed.  Since the Rams is hard no, the next game we could’ve used him is the chiefs in week 6.  That’s a possibility as it’s week 6.  If not we have a bye so by week 8 he definitely should be there for the Packers.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Punt return for a td last preseason and a long reception from Fromm to set up a win late. Averaged more on punt returns last year than McKenzie and .7 yards less per kick return. With his speed it seems a bit early to declare him hopeless. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Stevenson.  He has shown nothing!  Yeah hes fast, so are lots of sprinters, but hes not an nfl football player from what I see.  How did he make it with so many tough cuts?  Waste of a roster spot, even if he is just keeping a spot for someone before he goes on IR

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

When he got on the field in the regular season he was worse than McKenzie in the returner role. I am all for keeping the special skill. But at some point you have to show that you have that special skill rather than just professing to possess it. 

But what is “that point?” He didn’t have many touches and was a rookie. They’ve seen WAY more of him than we have. As @JDHillFan points out he made some plays when given the opportunity. He won’t be on the active roster after today (punter takes that spot). I have no problem with them wanting more time.

Again, I’m not saying that I would have kept him. I would have kept Hodgins and cut Stevenson and Kumerow. The Bills would (probably argue), “the ST contributions/potential of Kumerow/Stevenson outweigh the last WR on team being a little better (Hodgins).” That logic is perfectly sound. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I still think the Bills had their eyes on that second round TE (McBride?) who was scooped up a few picks before their slot.  Then they regrouped by trading back twice for Cook.  There were a few TE's in the 4th round range who looked nice but BB had traded their 4th to move up for #24Elam.    I think that is how the TE room ended up short again this year.  

12 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Stevenson over Hodgins and Can Roten over Mancz make no sense to me. I’m no Sweeney fan, but I also don’t get all the hate he’s been getting. I think people just wanted to believe that OJ Howard would be good and don’t want to admit he sucked.

He legitimately played really well in the preseason.

Hodgins is slow. 

He catches 8 balls for 26 yards kind of player. 

We had that guy once, David Nelson. 

He's a fringe NFLer who won't separate from corners on Sundays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What do you mean Josh knows Sweeney??  Are you saying he gets to pick his buddies for the team?  That sounds silly.  But not sure how we end up w Sweeney and Morris as our 2nd and 3rd TE's.  That's curious that we cut OJ Howard.  What did he do so poorly?  The guy ran a nice route for a TD against the Broncos.  

I mean he knows Sweeney as a player much better than Morris.  If Morris overtakes Sweeney in the depth chart it will take some time.

The TD was his only play in the preseason.  He had only 3 catches for less than 20 yards.  I thought he looked slow.

For whatever reason they didn't want him.

14 hours ago, Airseven said:

More so generally baffled that the OL is still mediocre with little depth, TEs the same, and CB is a wild roll of the dice amongst rookies.

That you are baffled surprises no one, 

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Stevenson- He showed nothing last year and to my knowledge has been very inconsistent this year. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Hodgins is slow. 

He catches 8 balls for 26 yards kind of player. 

We had that guy once, David Nelson. 

He's a fringe NFLer who won't separate from corners on Sundays. 

I had to look this up...  Hodgins ran a 4.61 at the combine.   I didn't remember he was that sluggish.  

I was one of the people disappointed that Hodgins was cut.  But I just went back and looked at some Marquez "Speedy" Stevenson college highlights.  The Bills probably think, with his acceleration, he's more likely to make plays at the NFL level.  

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If they decided to keep Morris over Howard I can live with that, Morris is at least somewhat of an unknown. But we already know what Sweeney is in this league. For all intents and purposes the Bills had one TE on the roster last year, they stopped dressing Sweeney after his awful showing in the Panthers game. He can't block, he can't separate, he can't catch. He is not even a JAG. Personally I wouldn't even keep him on the PS. I just can't figure out why this regime would keep him over Howard considering the dead cap hit.

From everything that's been written Howard isn't even that.  There was also an article in Mondays BN about Howard, and it contained a fair amount of quotes from Howard about how he's still earning the offense as was all new to him.   Could be the team felt he either wasn't trying to learn it quick enough or just never would.  Also possible Howard was one of these guys who got by on exceptional physical talents and never was too sharp with the mental part of the game.  Now though the physical part is no longer exceptional on top of it.

For me it's all these ST guys that this regime has an unhealthier obsession with than Dick Jauron did. It's fine to have one key core ST player like the 90's teams did with Steve Tasker but we are wasting roster space and money on much more than that.

I also don't see the appeal with McKenzie personally and think he'll flame out quickly once and for all this year.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

My feelings on Gilliam are well known.  I don't want a FB on the field and I would use an OT as a third TE.  I would use Moss in a two backfield set.  I'm sorry to rant but Gilliam also does nothing well except know the playbook in multiple spots. He is not a good lead blocker and he is not a threat in the pass game.  If they really want a true FB then go get a decent one.

You and me on Gilliam.  DiMarco 2.0.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I mean he knows Sweeney as a player much better than Morris.  If Morris overtakes Sweeney in the depth chart it will take some time.

The TD was his only play in the preseason.  He had only 3 catches for less than 20 yards.  I thought he looked slow.

For whatever reason they didn't want him.

Good response Thanks.  I guess I am still caught up in the hype that was OJ Howard coming out of Alabama.  Living in the South we get a lot of Roll Tide publicity all football season.  Some deserved.  Some a little over the top.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Stevenson for sure. He looked completely out of place on a football field last year, he is not a bona fide WR, he is not listed a returner on the depth chart, and he doesn't play special teams. All he does is run really fast in a straight line. Why even bother with the whole IR thing? What are they saving him for?

What's up with all the hate for T-Sween?  I thought we loved an underdog around here?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.