Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

8 minutes ago, Believer said:

Reported Ariaza flew with the team to Carolina… so appears he will play… Have to think allegations against him will come up during the broadcast, so some Bills rep may respond…

I think they flew out before things went public

4 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

And this is why you need to get ALL the facts first. 

There's also the Occam's Razor thing.  What is more likely in a state with STRICT statutory rape laws...

...that a 17 year old girl told everyone she was only 17/in high school and he was still like ok cool let's get an automatic rape charge?

...or that a girl who drinks underage and sleeps with random men would tell everyone she was 18/in college at a college party?

Whether or not the allegations of rape are true, teenage girls lie about their age to get booze/sex ALL THE DAMN TIME.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It seems folks used the fact that he follows adult entertainers on Twitter as an attempt to discredit him. In some cases it appears he legally represents them.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-taxpayers-fund-15-million-payment-to-nude-dancers/169269/

FYI, I agree with you that we should not be making sweeping assumptions about the plaintiff based on her choice of attorneys.  She and her family might not have been well-positioned to evaluated the quality of their representation.  Her attorney might be a mash-up of Lionel Hutz and Saul Goodman, and she still might be telling the truth about everything.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Most are not defending him - simply sticking with the mantra innocent until proven guilt and letting the legal process play out. If he is charged and found guilty then he deserves the punishment he will get.

yeah I’ll stick with the mantra of punters, especially ones who can’t hold, aren’t worth this kind of distraction heading into a season as Super Bowl favorites.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

It’s pretty easy to tell all the individuals who have their own skeletons in their closets coming out to defend this piece of trash. Why DEFEND Araiza at all?  To silence any other women who have the courage to come forward? You don’t know anything except charges have been levied. What grounds do you have to defend such abhorrent accusations?  Every stupid emoji, every baseless defense on indefensible actions speaks volumes to your own personal character, and which virtues you hold true, if any.  If any of you taking the stance of blindly defending this dbag just because he he’s got a Buffalo on his helmet, as your wives what they think, or daughters, or mothers..

I don’t see a lot of people defending him. But I do see a lot of people who would like more information other than her lawyers side of the incident. He’s a rookie, a 6th round pick, nobody really cares if he’s on the team or not. 
also, there are no charges. Just a lawsuit so far. However it’s a little weird you can call all these names and question character but the only info you have is also from her lawyer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He's not representing himself well in this specific instance though

I disagree.  He has our attention.  And, if he’s done this for awhile, he’s probably had his client pass a poly and exhausted all other means of obtaining his price of peace before scorching the earth. 

Just now, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

yeah I’ll stick with the mantra of punters, especially ones who can’t hold, aren’t worth this kind of distraction heading into a season as Super Bowl favorites.  

And this is what grates with me - if it was a rookie first round QB the risk would be a fair one to pay? The decision should be based on the actions, not the role on the team.

• Agree 1

1) If I knew I had an STD, then had unprotected sex, I’d very likely be guilty of a crime.

2) If I then took the same girl to a room to have sex with some of my teammates, I’d be deliberately infecting my teammates.

#1 would be evil/stupid/self destructive

#2 a player that deliberately hurts his own football team is a pretty bad teammate.

I’m thinking he did not know at the time he had an std.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

It sure as hell can.  For the hundredth time, I'm not absolutely claiming him to be innocent, but I have literal firsthand knowledge of false claims arising from EXACTLY THAT SCENARIO.  I've personally been witness to teenage girls talking about making up a story to have my best friend charged with rape, with them even admitting to having her mother in on the lie to punish him for perceived grievances against them.

If he's guilty I'll gladly sign off on a bullet being put in him.  But he hasn't at all been proven guilty by any means.

So some crafty 17 year old high schooler’s big plan was to go to a party, bang a punter and a bunch of his teammates, then immediately claim she was raped so that she might get a settlement from the punter if he got drafted half a year later even though her accusations could reasonably derail his career?  That’s what people are convincing themselves happened here?  SMDH

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see a lot of people defending him. But I do see a lot of people who would like more information other than her lawyers side of the incident. He’s a rookie, a 6th round pick, nobody really cares if he’s on the team or not. 
also, there are no charges. Just a lawsuit so far. However it’s a little weird you can call all these names and question character but the only info you have is also from her lawyer. 

Have you been on Twitter yet? Hoo-boy! 

• Like (+1) 1

The thing that I found interesting is that the police reported gathering 3 terabytes of digital evidence.  I would imagine there would be some pretty conclusive texts, emails or voicemails in that evidence.  I would be willing to bet that if/when that digital info is released, this incident will become much clearer one way or another.  Is it possible that the civil trial is being pushed so hard right now by the prosecution lawyer because they know that the evidence is going to hurt their case when it does get released?  Contrary to what was initially reported, it appears that law enforcement has done a ton of investigating into this case with multiple search warrants and interviews.  If the reports are to be believed, criminal charges should be filed soon against one or more individual.

23 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

In Ca., it doesn't matter. A Minor, cannot consent to sex, in any capacity. Even if the girl lied, it's still a Felony. I'm just the messenger, and that is how it is. The Cops MIGHT think, that they have a sketchy witness, but now we are dealing in 'what if's'.

This is incorrect. Earlier in the post I debunked this. There is a law where if the individual did so unknowingly it is on the accuser/ law enforcement/ accusers legal team to prove beyond a doubt the individual knew the accuser was under age. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Dude, why the ***** are people making excuses for some nobody pos… fan base is extremely disappointing. Anybody wants to defend ***** like this doesn’t have a woman in there life they give any ***** about.

No one's making excuses for some nobody pos.  They are just stating a fact that's been reported.  If she was lying to people at the party what was the reason she lied?  Perfectly valid question to ask in such a situation.  Her credibility also needs to be established as is anyone's if they want to make a declarative statement of a fact to me that has not yet been proven as true.  In any situation that's a he said she said both parties need to have credibility established.  I don't know if it would matter if she was telling people she was 18 and attending college.  That's up to the laws in the jurisdiction the crime allegedly occurred in.  Let the DA make their determination on whether charges are merited and if so to whom and what charge.  

You appear to have already determined that Araiza is guilty all without a trial.  Please tell me you aren't of legal age to be summoned for jury duty.  I prefer innocent until proven guilty for any criminal issues and the standards needed to prove a civil case need to be attained before a civil litigation is won.   In either types of cases social media should have no bearing on the decisions of that proceeding.  

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's being reported that the Bills'  organization has known about this for a month. Why the "haack" did they release Matt Haack.

That's the big question. You have to wonder what their investigation turned up to decide to keep him on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Nobody is living or dying on the Punter making the team, I think it's more a combination of people thinking we should wait for more info before just firing the kid and trusting/trying to understand why the team who we generally have a lot of faith in seems to be rolling the dice on this.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, gobills404 said:

Which is exactly why his unprofessional behavior is so irresponsible

Araiza’s lawyer went on local news and called the victim a liar. How else do you respond? Obviously this guy doesn’t care about how he’s perceived, he’s doing what he feels is best for his client. Right now the more attention and the more it’s talked about is definitely helping his client.

Just now, gobills404 said:

Which is exactly why his unprofessional behavior is so irresponsible

How is this unprofessional?  What’s the goal?  At bottom, probably justice.  And in this instance, justice might have been a cash transfer that made the victim feel whole (or at least less unwhole).  Araiza’s attorney apparently attempted to call what he thought was a bluff.  Turns out it might not have been a bluff, and justice may now be ruining the guy who someone believes ruined her/their daughter.  

I’ll get back to the point that if Araiza is not guilty of a crime and he would like to keep his job, then he needs to get someone speaking effectively on his behalf ASAP.  Give the Bills PR cover to keep him.  Otherwise, he’s relying on the strength of the Bills to allow this, from his perspective, to hopefully blow over.  At some point (and I think we’re getting close to being there), it’s not worth the aggravation to keep this guy around. 

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

And this is what grates with me - if it was a rookie first round QB the risk would be a fair one to pay? The decision should be based on the actions, not the role on the team.

I mean the distraction itself, like if the punter had any controversy, or baggage whatsoever. His just happens to be of the worst variety.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

So some crafty 17 year old high schooler’s big plan was to go to a party, bang a punter and a bunch of his teammates, then immediately claim she was raped so that she might get a settlement from the punter if he got drafted half a year later even though her accusations could reasonably derail his career?  That’s what people are convincing themselves happened here?  SMDH

Crafting hypotheticals for others and then outraging yourself at the conclusions is not a productive way to have a discussion.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

FYI, I agree with you that we should not be making sweeping assumptions about the plaintiff based on her choice of attorneys.  She and her family might not have been well-positioned to evaluated the quality of their representation.  Her attorney might be a mash-up of Lionel Hutz and Saul Goodman, and she still might be telling the truth about everything.

Agreed, we shouldn’t be making sweeping assumptions about either side of this without facts. Our society is surely in trouble if we do. There have so many social media allegations in the past few years that have totally false or highly misleading that we need to let the facts sort themselves out.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NyBob85 said:

We live in the world of "at-will employment". Employers can fire you for pretty much anything they want to besides your race, sex, or creed and even then they can just make something up if they really wanted you gone for those reasons as well. That's been the reality that most workers have had to face in this country for ages, it's just that until recently it was only applied to workers who were a bit too "uppity" or "troublesome" or talked about things like better pay or working conditions or unionizing, and male employees who committed sexual harassment (to say nothing of full-blown rape) were routinely ignored.

I agree that big businesses being able to summarily dismiss employees and ruin their livelihoods on a whim is an earmark of a dystopian society, but it didn't just magically become dystopian in the last few years just because it started specifically happening to men accused of heinous sexual behavior. 

I don't disagree, IIRC I think that the OP i replied to implied that a simple tarnishing of the brands reputation should be good enough for dismissal irregardless of any facts. It is an unfortunate reality that we face this and that snap judgements based on limited facts are thought to be a good thing.

I do think we don't need the distraction and for the good of the Bills org they should cut him and not deal with it but that makes me guilty of the above, so my take is bias. In the end I hope she gets justice based on the facts of the situation and not because of public opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The Plaintiff's Lawyer, comes off as a sleze, on Twitter...

More than just a sleaze. 

He texted Araiza before any charges or lawsuits had been filed. An opposing lawyer texted a defendant directly. You can't tell me that's SOP by any means. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I am not sure people are arguing that was the plan. I think most people believe something happened that night but that the Araiza situation and the gang rape situation are not necessarily linked despite the civil suit claiming as such, but the civil suit was filed in July I believe after Araiza was drafted which aims to link the two events together. That is peoples doubt. Pulling Araiza into the civil suit to include someone with money.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Neither attorney in this case are coming across well. Perhaps the Bills should get their own attorney involved.

Why would the Bills get legally involved at all?

Maybe we should just stop judging the legitimacy of the case by the lawyers' behavior.