Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

6 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I notice you have a lot to say, but don't want to elaborate on your statement about making a rape victim whole. Please, enlighten us. 

Because that's for MA to do.  Not us or the Bills. 

The plaintiff's attorney supposedly made an offer weeks ago, then withdrew it? Why? 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

essentially demanding he be sacrificed to the bowels of hell.. 

Nah. 

Just want the Bills to cut him. He's a huge distraction and a punter to top it all off. 

If your boy is innocent he'll get a job with another team.

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I agree, and I think that the organization does eventually give in to the mob and cuts ties. 

I think suspending him with pay until it's resolved is the best option. We have to pay him regardless...it keeps the heat off of the team, and it allows us to keep him if he is proven to have done nothing wrong...instead of a team scooping him up and then they get his services at our expense.

Would he to voluntarily agree to that otherwise a CBA grievance? Though not sure the NFLPA would want that bad press either fighting it.  If suspended does he count towards 53? 

Read a couple threads about putting him on exempt list.  Would Araiza have to request that?  And what exactly does that mean for roster salary, etc.?

As has been said too much of him being guilty in court of public opinion to keep him on roster now as too much of a distraction.

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The problem is that if Araiza had sex with her it's still statutory rape even if he wasn't involved in any of the other stuff.  If they have any proof they had sex, consensual or not, he's toast.  

So so. I think this has been discussed.   Witnesses may be had that she lied about her age.  MA was only 21.  There's wiggle room with burden in California law if I read correctly. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, mannc said:

Very possible, but that’s a dangerous game. Employer gets scared and cuts employee, there goes your settlement fund.

Nobody said it was the first move.  If the offer is no-pay, what does one have to lose by dialing the employer? 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The problem is that if Araiza had sex with her it's still statutory rape even if he wasn't involved in any of the other stuff.  If they have any proof they had sex, consensual or not, he's toast.  

Not really, because we have his lawyer saying they have witnesses saying she was telling people she was 18.

And there is a defense in that scenario where the accuser must proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he did know she was a minor. Her lying to people at the party removes reasonable doubt

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Man, you gotta read the thread

This is not true in the California legal system 

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The plaintiffs lawyer says the Bill have not asked to speak to her.   He contacted THEM weeks ago to give them a heads up that his client was filing a suit against Araiza. If he’s looking for big money, why would he take the chance that the Bills would cut him after hearing this? 

To be honest, I don't understand the plaintiffs lawyers choices and antics on a lot of things he has done.  

• He has posted text messages of him threatening Matt's attorney to settle or else.  
  • He has posted photos of all her journal entries that were written by the plaintiff the day after and the days following that she literally does not have any memory of who took her to the room or who raped her.  Why he did this is puzzling to me because it completely contradicts his own filing and claims in the civil suit act that not only names exactly who did those things, but the exact manner it happened, all contradictory to her own journal entries before retaining a civil attorney.
  • The civil attorney was direct text messaging Matt and direct contacting the Bills, all for the purpose of encouraging a settlement. 

His twitter is full of him trying to win his cases in the court of public opinion on all the cases he is involved in, obviously to create more leverage in doing his job to get the most money on behalf of his client.  And he is getting a lot of backlash over it and put out this long full page statement ranting and justifying him trying to do this all in the court of public opinion. 

And we do not actually know if anyone form the Bills investigation spoke to the plaintiff.  Her attorney just said the Bills directly did not call him or ask him any questions...but the Bills did not do the investigation, a 3rd party did and we do not know who he has or hasn't spoken to yet.  And quite honestly, her statement is just going to repeat what was published in the civil suit now.  

None of this means she wasn't assaulted or makes her less credible.  I am only discussing why the Bills did not go through her civil attorney...again civil not criminal...to conduct any investigation into the matter.  And honestly, no one doing any proper investigation would work with any civil attorney on any matter.  If he was a criminal attorney I suspect there would be more dialogue between the team and said attorney.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Would he to voluntarily agree to that otherwise a CBA grievance? Though not sure the NFLPA would want that bad press either fighting it.  If suspended does he count towards 53? 

Read a couple threads about putting him on exempt list.  Would Araiza have to request that?  And what exactly does that mean for roster salary, etc.?

As has been said too much of him being guilty in court of public opinion to keep him on roster now as too much of a distraction.

The team cannot place him on the exempt list. Only the NFL can, and they won’t here because the conduct occurred prior to the draft.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

It's probably been asked, but where are Kim Pegula and Beane on all of this?  Why is McDermott being hung out to dry by the organization?

I don’t really see it that he was hung out to dry. McDermott speaks to the media after every game, not Beane and not ownership. The timing of the presser being right after the game led to him handling the questioning. He’s capable of representing the organization, he has done so many times with and without Beane. Beane himself has never shied from the media and I  expect will address soon. Not sure why Kim would need to face the media, we don’t even know her medical condition. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that it would be, tbh. 

Arazia just happens to be the first guy after Watson’s ordeal to get hit with a sexual assault related accusation.

Seeing how media has covered the story, and how the Twitter crowd has reacted.. essentially demanding he be sacrificed to the bowels of hell.. I honestly don’t know if ANYONE in the league stands a chance if they get hit with a sexual assault allegation right now. 

I agree everyone is guilty until proven otherwise it seems and maybe as more facts come out things change.  However I keep reading “he’s just a punter so cut him to remove the distraction”.  I question how many would be saying the same thing at this point if it was WR#1. 

I was one to crucify Watson and still am based on the mountain of evidence and volume of plaintiffs etc. I struggle a bit here because I don’t fully see it as painted right now.  

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that it would be, tbh. 

Arazia just happens to be the first guy after Watson’s ordeal to get hit with a sexual assault related accusation.

Seeing how media has covered the story, and how the Twitter crowd has reacted.. essentially demanding he be sacrificed to the bowels of hell.. I honestly don’t know if ANYONE in the league stands a chance if they get hit with a sexual assault allegation right now. 

He should have made better choices and not put himself in a situation to be accused of sexual assault. It's not hard to do.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I believe if the Bills suspend him he counts towards the 53 man roster, yes.  Whether it's an NFLPA grievance or not depends upon exactly what the suspension is for.  If Araiza lied to or misled the Bills about having an interview with police this summer in an active rape investigation, or about what happened, I think that would come under the "conduct detrimental" clause and they can suspend him.  I don't think they can suspend him for something that happened last October without a grievance.

The exempt list has to come from the Commissioner.  He would not count towards the 53 if he's on that list.   Normally it wouldn't happen for something occurring before he was drafted, but, again if Araiza or his rep lied to or misled the Bills this summer, Goodell might oblige out of understanding that this is a very bad look for the NFL as a whole.

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

He should have made better choices and not put himself in a situation to be accused of sexual assault. It's not hard to do.

Dude, do you have kids?  How old are they?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

It's probably been asked, but where are Kim Pegula and Beane on all of this?  Why is McDermott being hung out to dry by the organization?

McDermott is a great human being and is also the face of the team that can plausibly not know some of the answers he needs to be “not knowing the answers to” right now. 

Beane will surely speak, at least, after they make a roster decision on Araiza.  Not sure why he needs to be out there right now.  

They released a statement. (Wasn’t the greatest).  McD went out there and showed that they care about how this looks to some of the fanbase.  And honestly, maybe he’s better at showing empathy.  Beane is good dude, but he’s also way more free wheeling and joking in his vibe than McDermott. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm tired of the gaslighting by WGR

The mantra of "the Bills won't cut him so we are forced to talk about him" is hilarious.

The afternoon guys doing pre-game said " as long as he is on the team this is the only thing we will be able to talk about. They need to do something" was the biggest example of how piss-poor the media is on the connection to reality.

These doofs have the mic. They can literally talk about anything.

Screw WGR, there are some GREAT podcasts on Spotify with actually intelligent insight.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I believe if the Bills suspend him he counts towards the 53 man roster, yes.  Whether it's an NFLPA grievance or not depends upon exactly what the suspension is for.  If Araiza lied to or misled the Bills about having an interview with police this summer in an active rape investigation, or about what happened, I think that would come under the "conduct detrimental" clause and they can suspend him.  I don't think they can suspend him for something that happened last October without a grievance.

The exempt list has to come from the Commissioner.  He would not count towards the 53 if he's on that list.   Normally it wouldn't happen for something occurring before he was drafted, but, again if Araiza or his rep lied to or misled the Bills this summer, Goodell might oblige out of understanding that this is a very bad look for the NFL as a whole.

Dude, do you have kids?  How old are they?

You can't chalk up being accused of sexual assault as a life experience. It's not hard to make good decisions. The fact that he put himself in this situation speaks volumes about his character as a whole.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because that's for MA to do.  Not us or the Bills. 

The plaintiff's attorney supposedly made an offer weeks ago, then withdrew it? Why? 

Sifting through all this mess, one should be trying to evaluate the information and a big factor of that is in sourcing the information. Almost everything being hammered in the media seems to be coming from this lawyer who, in terms of apparent ethical conduct, seems several sigmas off the bar norm. Like Michael Avenatti/Saul Goodman territory. I haven't heard anyone in the media ask what, to me, the most obvious question: October? (Checks watch) This is August of the next year, right?

Hearsay is hearsay, believe what you want, but like your mom should have told you, "consider the source."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Nobody said it was the first move.  If the offer is no-pay, what does one have to lose by dialing the employer? 

Probably should ask the Bills attorneys.

The Bills are now in the position of doing next to nothing without firm input/approval from their attorneys.

I would not doubt that only the Pegulas can override.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

Anyone can accuse anyone of anything

She is not going to put herself through the trauma and scrutiny for an allegation of this type. This kind of thinking is toxic, representative of entitlement, and is the exact reason more victims do not come forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

Sifting through all this mess, one should be trying to evaluate the information and a big factor of that is in sourcing the information. Almost everything being hammered in the media seems to be coming from this lawyer who, in terms of apparent ethical conduct, seems several sigmas off the bar norm. Like Michael Avenatti/Saul Goodman territory. I haven't heard anyone in the media ask what, to me, the most obvious question: October? (Checks watch) This is August of the next year, right?

Hearsay is hearsay, believe what you want, but like your mom should have told you, "consider the source."

Very good take. The lawyer for Jane Doe has a job to do. He wants justice for his client (and rightfully so). As it stands currently, Araiza is collateral damage for the attorney to get justice for his client. If Arazia is found guilty in a court of law, he should absolutely do the time. He has already been found guilty in the court of public opinion, due solely to the opinion of an attorney who is doing his job, albeit coming off like a loose cannon. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

You can't chalk up being accused of sexual assault as a life experience. It's not hard to make good decisions. The fact that he put himself in this situation speaks volumes about his character as a whole.

You didn't answer my question.  Do you have kids and if so, how old are they?

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Serious question. Why do fans think this will derail the season? 

Do fans think Josh is sat thinking about this and not focused on the Rams?

Is Von Miller going to be so distracted he won’t be able to rush the passer?

I get it, it’s a bad look and bad for the Bills organizationally but I don’t get how it effects the players. Can anyone point me in a direction where something bad has happened to a football team PR wise and it’s completely derailed a season? Spygate was embarrassing for the Pats**, they proceeded to win 18 straight games. They went 12-4 and went to the AFC championship after Deflategate. Both of those situations had more to do with football and the game itself more than what a single player has done off the footballs field.

You need shame or a consicence, neither of which is in supply for the Cheats.

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

This above statement presumes innocence but infers he made bad choices that led to being falsely accused of sexual assault.  So if he is innocent, what was the bad choice?  Having consensual sex while in college at a college party where he was living?  Are you alluding that college kids should just abstain while in college in fear they could be accused of sexual assault later?  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CountDorkula said:

No matter the outcome of this the bills are in a lose lose lose scenario. 

That is why if I am them I take my lumps now cut him and get the media circus over

Araiza needs a smoking gun.   Text exchange leaked and/or people at the party to go public and defend him. 

Anything short of that, and he’s gone and the Bills still deal with the short term stigma in the media and long term loss of a punter you invested draft capital into. 

I doubt anyone could withstand a sexual assault allegation in the league right now, but definitely not when there’s gruesome pictures being circulated and salacious details such as her being 17 and him saying to get tested .. which equates to Twitter posts of “rape of a minor and he intentionally gave her chlamydia.” of course lacking any context. 

4 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

She is not going to put herself through the trauma and scrutiny for an allegation of this type. This kind of thinking is toxic, representative of entitlement, and is the exact reason more victims do not come forward.

But you are saying people need to not put themselves into situations where they can be accused of a crime, and I'm telling you that people can throw out accusations out of the blue.

I'm not debating you on whether her allegations have merit

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This above statement presumes innocence but infers he made bad choices that led to being falsely accused of sexual assault.  So if he is innocent, what was the bad choice?  Having consensual sex while in college at a college party where he was living?  Are you alluding that college kids should just abstain while in college in fear they could be accused of sexual assault later?  

Most of us had sex in college i presume. I guarantee you none of us were in a position where we could be accused of sexual assault and gang rape so……..

• Like (+1) 1