Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not saying that it is right, because it’s not. It is how things are done though. When it’s Ben Roethlisberger raping some girl in a bar restroom (second well know incident of that kind and third if you dig deeper), then it’s different to the business owners and a substantial effort is made with regards to the public narrative. But for any punter or fairly easily replaced player or coach, that’s not going to happen. 

And yet Beane didn’t take the easy route out which I kind of respect him for - as long as his judgement is proved correct. He’s put a lot in the investigation undertaken by the Bills.

Just now, BTB said:

So prior to the draft, Araiza informed the NFL of the rape investigation, and the Bills still chose him.  In that case, the Bills deserve all the bad publicity & media scrutiny that will come from this mess.  

Who is claiming this? 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

I mean this in the absolute worst way possible. You are a terrifying human being. 

not taking his side but I’ve actually found most women prefer rough sex (didn’t learn this until in my 30s) but not to the extent of bruising and bleeding. But I have witnessed (the aftermath) multiple times in my life where consensual rough sex resulted in bruising. I would leave it up to a female poster to say if they’ve experienced vaginal bleeding from rough sex.

With all that said…there is a good chance she was raped that night…the question is who the culprit(s) was/were. Things can get awfully crazy at college parties. Once a girl I had sex with at a party…woke up next morning to find her in bed with my buddy. Totally consensual but was a wake up call for me in many ways. I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by StHustle

One of the reasons I think Araiza might be innocent is that he refused to settle out of court and compensate the accuser for her silence.

I'd never do such a thing but if I was guilty, I gladly pay to make the whole thing go away.  If was innocent, I'd fight on principle.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-have-known-about-rape-allegations-against-matt-araiza-since-july/ar-AA118cCJ

16 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

I’m on the “cut him regardless” train. Might not be fair, but he’s a punter who hasn’t earned anything, but brings unneeded drama.  People get cut for a lot less.

Likewise. In an absolute BEST case scenario he was messing around with a girl he knew to be in high school while he was a college senior and is still guilty of statutory rape. And that's only giving him the very generous benefit of the doubt that he had absolutely nothing to do with her being assaulted or forcibly raped by the other two, which is highly improbable at best. Even in a best case scenario he's pretty much admitted to committing a felony and has clearly demonstrated that he has a SEVERE deficiency in his decision-making abilities and is a creep by messing around with high school girls when he could easily sleep with any number of adult women his age consensually. In a worst case scenario he's a violent predator and a monster many times worse than DeShaun Watson. Either way he needs to go. The Bills can foster a lot of goodwill with the media and the fanbase and not only salvage but greatly improve their image if they send him packing right now. If not we look no better than any of the countless other teams who have scrambled to cover for the sex pests and abusers in their ranks. I'd prefer not to have any toxic presence surrounding the club or lingering around the locker room all season just so we can keep a good PUNTER on the roster. Let's cut our losses, find some halfway-serviceable punter among the free agents who can get up to speed in two weeks and move the hell on as quickly as we can. 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

NY law does not matter in the slightest. Age of consent in CA is 18.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think it matters morally, but in California the age of consent is 18 and they don't have a "Romeo & Juliet" exception.  Technically a 21 year old who has sex with a 17 year old in the Golden State is guilty of statutory rape regardless.

Again, not saying it matters, because this particular angle doesn't matter to me at all.  In most states, something like this would be legal.  CA law is just a little on the weird side. 

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Given the reports of his admissions to sexual contact in the recorded controlled call, sounds like he might be cooked on that charge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Can't remember,  that was a bizarre story like this one. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2584179-patrick-kane-under-investigation-for-rape-latest-details-comments-reaction

Chicago Blackhawks right winger Patrick Kane will not face charges after being investigated for sexual assault.

"The totality of the credible evidence—the proof—does not sufficiently substantiate the complainant’s allegation that she was raped by Patrick Kane and this so-called 'case' is rife with reasonable doubt," Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III said in a statement. "Accordingly, the Office of the Erie County District Attorney will not present this matter to an Erie County Grand Jury."

The announcement came after Kane's accuser reportedly told authorities on Tuesday she no longer wanted to cooperate with the investigation into the Blackhawks star.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Terrific.  Now do the part again about how Haack immediately got picked up.  What was your source on that?

Haack pretty much stinks and was probably the most replaceable player on last year’s 53.  He seems like a pretty good guy but losing out on the opportunity to keep him is the least impactful portion of this situation by a light year.

He was signed two days after getting cut but I get your point. You can do much worse than Haack is all I'm saying.

109 pages in 17 hours. Gotta be a TSW record.

This one's going to be hard to ever definitively prove one way or the other, as rape accusations of this nature often are.

The question, then, is do the Bills want to stand by Araiza, weather the firestorm of criticism and distraction and the hit to their reputation? Or, instead, do they figure that a punter isn't worth the headaches this matter is about to cause?

Even if one removes moral and ethical implications and looks at the matter strictly from a cynical, practical point of view, it seems to me that a rookie punter is NOT worth the headaches this matter is about to cause. Further, I would say that who is punting for the Bills will likely have very little impact on their Super Bowl chances over the next five years.

Cut him, sign a mediocre, boring veteran, and move on. Set a precedent. Be better than the Browns and the Commanders of the world. Be better.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Based on what's out there now, I can't imagine how he could be so confident. And their silence over the last 12+ hours is deafening. They should've been ready to immediately come out with a statement how they know Araiza is innocent. 

And they should also have a web site up with free access to Kim Pegula’s medical records right?  

12 hours of silence is deafening?  12 hours?  Consider that anything they say or do has potential impact on whether they could be party to a civil suit and at what level…..or at least they have to protect against that.  The lawyers for both parties here are clearly loose cannons.  There is no need for the Bills to turn into a third one.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve always found it interesting how fans give athletes and celebrities the benefit of doubt. I agree, we don’t know the facts, he may be an innocent man. However, people never view the average Joe that way. It’s likely if this situation involves a person of little means in a random town (not a college athlete) he would have been locked up and his life is over. No one even cares to give that guy a chance. The report would be read, and people say he’s a menace. I want to wait for the all the facts to come out before I judge, but it seems like college boys get the benefit of doubt that others don’t. 

Rape convictions are at a historical low, in the U.K. at least. I think most people leave it up to the legal system to decide whether someone is innocent or guilty.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I've terminated people for sexual misconduct, and I can tell you that this is not true.  My organization (a public university, which is relevant here) does not dismiss people just because they were sued in civil court.  We need something beyond that.

I agree, that’s how employment works, but I was commenting more on the court of public opinion. I’m making the point that we never know with certainty what occurs at places we aren’t present. Yet fans like to give athletes the benefit of doubt. If he were a random dude, and that story makes the newspaper, everyone would agree he’s a terrible person, even if it’s not true. Athletes always have a choir of defenders. 

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

The lawyers for both parties here are clearly loose cannons.  There is no need for the Bills to turn into a third one.

Amen! I mean there is no way in hell I would want Jimmy Haslem to be the voice of my team. 

6 minutes ago, BTB said:

So prior to the draft, Araiza informed the NFL of the rape investigation, and the Bills still chose him.  In that case, the Bills deserve all the bad publicity & media scrutiny that will come from this mess.  

According to Tim Graham, the NFL and franchises did not about it pre-draft, which obviously goes against what the defence attorney is saying.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BTB said:

forgot his lawyer made that claim thanks. Question still remains if the league passed the notification on to individual teams though. That’s less clear. Other statements suggest the Bills found out about this around 6 weeks ago, well after the draft.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

the ol' its partially her fault she got raped. Good job

No if she were raped than it's not her fault.  However if she was telling ppl there she was 18 and attending college that is showing she's not being truthful in her statements accusing the players of rape.  She claims she told Arsiza she a HS student then he gave her a drink which she suggests contained other intoxicants. Insinuating date rape type drugs. If those were used there would be detectable traces of it in blood analysis I'd imagine.

• Agree 1